TRU Weekly Ad - 3/21 - 3/27

scott_matthews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
73 (99%)
Here are the DVD and Blu-Ray deals in the TRU flier for 3/21 through 3/27.

Toy Story 1 and Toy Story 2 Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Packs
  • $21.99 each or
  • Buy 2 combo packs for $16.99 each.

Twilight Saga: New Moon
  • New Moon Keepsake Box (item 590064) free with purchase of DVD or Blu-Ray - In-Store only
  • DVD - $24.99
  • Blu-Ray - $29.99
The Blind Side
  • DVD - $16.99 (reg. $19.99)
  • Blu-Ray - $22.99 (reg. $29.99)

Disney Princess DVDs
  • Free Jewelry Box (item 276585, Reg. $7.99) with any Disney Princess movie purchase (in-store only)

I was able to use BOTH $10 coupons and both $5 coupons. I paid a total of $6.36 for BOTH movies. Happy day!

[quote name='bigant262']Quick question, is there a difference between the Blu-ray and dvd besides the box?[/QUOTE]

There are two different packaging. The front says DVD+Bluray or Bluray+DVD.

Both contain the same 2 discs but different packaging. DVD+Bluray has the slightly bigger black DVD style cases. The Bluray+DVD has the smaller Bluray style cases. Both has a cardboard cover over them. The Bluray casing has the blue around the top. The DVD casing has the yellow.

I made the mistake of picking out DVD style casing. I was paying attention more to the cover to make sure it said Bluray.

[quote name='seanhassars']the TRU I went to said they weren't selling Toy Story 2 to people unless they pre-ordered it, what kind of BS is that?[/QUOTE]

My TRU wound up having some in stock. There were only about six of each movie left. No blu-ray packaging (just the standard dvd package). Oh well. Two movies for $16 after tax isn't bad. They did have an entire cart full of those anti-theft cases so they were definitely selling a lot of Toy Story today. There was a guy walking in with coupons as I was leaving.

I was afraid that my TRU might have said they won't sell it without a pre-order coupon. That happened to me when Scribblenauts came out. I went to buy it on release to get the gift card and even though they had some in stock, they said I needed a pre-order card in order to actually buy one.

[quote name='ronin47']There are two different packaging. The front says DVD+Bluray or Bluray+DVD.

Both contain the same 2 discs but different packaging. DVD+Bluray has the slightly bigger black DVD style cases. The Bluray+DVD has the smaller Bluray style cases. Both has a cardboard cover over them. The Bluray casing has the blue around the top. The DVD casing has the yellow.

I made the mistake of picking out DVD style casing. I was paying attention more to the cover to make sure it said Bluray.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I made the same mistake. Oh well, I'm not too bothered by it, but maybe down the line I'll move them into Bluray cases. Still at great deal to be had for $16.99 each.

The cashier where I went to was pissed. He didn't like when both rang up at 25.99, then was damn near beside himself when I handed him the coupons. He said, "It says DO NOT DOUBLE." Yes sir, I understand but I have one for each movie...see, they're different. He didn't say another word to me for the rest of the transaction. Walked out with both for 4.22.
Suh-weet.

I had the pre-orders from last week's P&tF deal and used both coupons for the Blu editions and walked out with $0 balance. Then as I was driving home I realized that I could have just canceled my pre-order and gotten the $10 back and only paid $4+tax for both movies, but I figure that's not going to kill me and didn't really have the time to fight it. All-in-all not a bad haul of three Blu/DVD movies for a total of $12+tax. I suppose I could have gotten them for $8 + tax, but hindsight is 20/20.

The TRU around me said the same thing about the blu versions of TS. They had like a whole standee of the DVD size ones. Lucky I had preordered them but it's still dumb that they didn't have enough for the people that didn't.

if the guy had said "We got more pre-orders than expected so we're only selling them to folks who pre-ordered right now" I would have been fine, but he was standing right next to a whole display full of Toy Story 1's with the sign saying buy them both and get $10 off and simply said "The only thing I have to sell to the public is the first one, you have to have pre-ordered to get the second" as if it was just their policy, not something they needed to do because of a stock issue.

My TRU had 0 in blu cases. She was a little shocked, as there were plenty of people who pre-ordered. Sadly, I wasn't there in the morning, so I was unable to tell if they were just put out on the floor or if they even knew about pre-ordering them. I feel like calling up corp to ask, since I really don't want a DVD sized disc sticking out. Call me picky.

Hmm... TRU is having BOGO on all DVDs on Friday, so that means Toy Story 1 & 2 Combo-Pack in DVD gold package are part of the deal? Sounds like I can get another 2 Toy Story 1&2 for free. :D

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Hmm... TRU is having BOGO on all DVDs on Friday, so that means Toy Story 1 & 2 Combo-Pack in DVD gold package are part of the deal? Sounds like I can get another 2 Toy Story 1&2 for free. :D[/QUOTE]

Would the previous promotion ($10 off when you buy both) stack with the BOGO? My TRU was surprisingly cool about taking the coupons, but I don't know many places that stack promotions. Either way, full price of one - $20 in coupons would still be pretty dang cheap. Hmmm.... I might have to drop by on Friday.

did anyone get the bluray packaging from TRU? when i got home i just noticed its the dvd packaging. i didnt pay attention. i just made sure it includes bluray.

[quote name='crazylikeafox11']Would the previous promotion ($10 off when you buy both) stack with the BOGO? My TRU was surprisingly cool about taking the coupons, but I don't know many places that stack promotions. Either way, full price of one - $20 in coupons would still be pretty dang cheap. Hmmm.... I might have to drop by on Friday.[/QUOTE]
With Promo

$21.99 TS1 + $0.00 TS2 - $10 Promo = $11.99 + 9.75% tax = $13.16 - $10 TS1 - $10 TS2 = $6.84 credit

or

Without $10 Promo

$21.99 TS1 + $0.00 TS2 = $21.99 + 9.75% tax = $24.13 - $10 TS1 - $10 TS2 = $4.13

[quote name='trunks982']did anyone get the bluray packaging from TRU? when i got home i just noticed its the dvd packaging. i didnt pay attention. i just made sure it includes bluray.[/QUOTE]
Seems like it's different for all TRU. Mine had quite a few of them. Some stores didn't even get their shipments and only had the DVD packaging.

[quote name='ajh2298']Do the $10.00 coupons work on the DVD/Bluray combo packs? I thought they only worked on the Bluray/DVD combo packs?[/QUOTE]
Yes they do. The coupon doesn't make a distinction between the two.

[quote name='Kaydee09']Yes they do. The coupon doesn't make a distinction between the two.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks might have my wife try and pick up a extra set of the DVD/Bluray combos on Friday during the BOGO sale.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']With Promo

$21.99 TS1 + $0.00 TS2 - $10 Promo = $11.99 + 9.75% tax = $13.16 - $10 TS1 - $10 TS2 = $6.84 credit

or

Without $10 Promo

$21.99 TS1 + $0.00 TS2 = $21.99 + 9.75% tax = $24.13 - $10 TS1 - $10 TS2 = $4.13[/QUOTE]

Either way, it's worth picking up an extra set. I have a friend with a toddler that would probably love these movies. =)

i might try to pick up 2 copies of TS 1, 1 TS 2, and 1 Up on blu ray

+34.99
+21.99= 56.98

then
$56.98
-$8 disney promo
-$8 disney promo
-$8 disney promo
-$8 disney promo= 24.98

$24.98
-$10 TS 1 coupon
-$10 TS 2 Coupon
-$10 TS 1 Coupon

would give me $5.02 in credit right?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='josh62488']i might try to pick up 2 copies of TS 1, 1 TS 2, and Up on blu ray

+34.99
+21.99= 56.98

then
$56.98
-$8 disney promo
-$8 disney promo
-$8 disney promo
-$8 disney promo= 24.98

$24.98
-$10 TS 1 coupon
-$10 TS 2 Coupon
-$10 TS 1 Coupon

would give me $5.02 in credit right?[/QUOTE]
That's assuming they let you use all those coupons. My TRU only allowed one coupon for each blu-ray I was buying. Also, why are you using 2 $10 Toy Story coupon? I only know of the Disney Movie Rewards coupon.

[quote name='josh62488']i might try to pick up 2 copies of TS 1, 1 TS 2, and Up on blu ray

+34.99
+21.99= 56.98

then
$56.98
-$8 disney promo
-$8 disney promo
-$8 disney promo
-$8 disney promo= 24.98

$24.98
-$10 TS 1 coupon
-$10 TS 2 Coupon
-$10 TS 1 Coupon

would give me $5.02 in credit right?[/QUOTE]

No, assuming they let you use more than one coupon per item (which is YMMV) on the receipt the last $10 coupon will show up only as $4.98. Depending on your state/county/city, you still have to pay for the tax with cash/credit card, etc. The coupon will not cover tax.
However, you may want to add a $5 item and that should be free (sans the tax).

Found a copy of Toy Story 2 in the Target in Williamsville, NY - last copy too. Like all the other stores plenty of Toy Story 1 but this was the first copy I found of Toy Story 2.

Used the $5 off coupons for each movie no problem - didnt use any other coupons.

I walked out ending up paying zero out of pocket today for my set of Toy Story Blu-ray combos that I had pre-ordered last week during the P&tF promo. Plus the girl let me use both $10.00 coupons plus a $5.00 one and that is what brought my balance down to zero.

So I ended up paying $7.00 for all 3 Blu-rays at TRU. Plus if you count the $1.50 I spent on the two packs of Band-Aids and a stamp to do the $5.00 rebate I ended up spending $8.50 but will get $5.00 of that back so it will be like $3.50 for all three movies.

[quote name='basketb']No, assuming they let you use more than one coupon per item (which is YMMV) on the receipt the last $10 coupon will show up only as $4.98. Depending on your state/county/city, you still have to pay for the tax with cash/credit card, etc. The coupon will not cover tax.
However, you may want to add a $5 item and that should be free (sans the tax).[/QUOTE]

I am buying four movies!

2 copies of toy story 1
1 copy of toy story 2
1 copy of Up

I am adding 3 coupons (1 for each item)...
make sense now???

They still do not give you any credit (as in cash back). You need to buy something for $5 in the same transaction to make full use of all the coupons.
(I had assumed that the $8 disney promo in your post were from the $8 Disney upgrade coupons; hence my assuming you'd use two coupons on one item. If the $8 are not the upgrade coupon, what is it?).

on my reciept form my last TRU transaction to buy both Toy Story's there was a TRU disney promo that gave me $8 off
it was something like buy 2 disney DVD's save $16

There was no coupon just an in store promo

[quote name='basketb']They still do not give you any credit (as in cash back). You need to buy something for $5 in the same transaction to make full use of all the coupons.
(I had assumed that the $8 disney promo in your post were from the $8 Disney upgrade coupons; hence my assuming you'd use two coupons on one item. If the $8 are not the upgrade coupon, what is it?).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='josh62488']on my reciept form my last TRU transaction to buy both Toy Story's there was a TRU disney promo that gave me $8 off
it was something like buy 2 disney DVD's save $16

There was no coupon just an in store promo[/QUOTE]

I think the $8.00 promo you are seeing is knocking the regular price of the movie $29.99 down to its sale price which is $21.99 for the week. TRU receipts always list the regular price of the items even when they are on sale and than lists some kind of a promo to get it down to its sale price for the week.

ok that makes sense...was there a promo for $15 off if you buy Princess and the Frog Blu Ray DVD Combo pack with Toy Story Combo PAck

on my receipt I got $15 off select item plus another $5 off for a Disney Promo

im really confused now

[quote name='josh62488']ok that makes sense...was there a promo for $15 off if you buy Princess and the Frog Blu Ray DVD Combo pack with Toy Story Combo PAck

on my receipt I got $15 off select item plus another $5 off for a Disney Promo

im really confused now[/QUOTE]

yes. does anyone know if TRU restocked the bluray packaging versions of both toy story?

I got a restocked Blu Ray package today. They had both. Now, it took about 5 minutes for them to figure out how to swap them out.

bread's done
Back