TrueSkill, My Ass: A Call for a Mature XBL

Well, take comfort in the near-certainty that there will be at least one option of gaming online while cutting all the video feeds, if it indeed comes to that. Hopefully, it'll be something to control in one of the 'blades', but may be a game-to-game inconvenience.

Also, it won't really be practical with some games to litter the screen with a dozen little 'face boxes'.

It's de-evolution, baby!

[quote name='redgopher']To the guy with the 10 year old son: I've no doubt he's a good player, I mean, the chances are slim that a child raised by a gamer is going to turn out an incorrigable douchebag.

To those who are suggesting I play only player matches: Player matches aren't nearly as populated as ranked matches, not to mention that you don't get achievements for playing player matches.

I suppose it was poor journalism to end with the age filter thing... I realize that it's not just ages that govern who's a douche and who isn't. I guess it would have been better to end that rant with the Halo 2 matchmaking thing. So far I've had everyone here at work in the studio agree with me that Halo 2's matchmaking kicked ass (with the exception of not being able to select your gametype).[/QUOTE]

I agree, I have one kid I met in R6:Vegas on my friends list. I don't talk to him much other than in-game, but if I had to guess, I'd say he's about 13. However he's always professional and friendly, and he's a great gamer. So I'll play with him (not like that...), unfortunately, he's the exception to the rule.

I always play Ranked matches, even if I suck, I just like to get some sense of achievement when I do finally kill some people or win some games.

Last night I was playing Command and Conquer 3 with my vision cam. It was a 2vs. 2 standard deathmatch. Me and my teammate had cam's, other team didn't. It was going good for a while, I was gettin beat a little bit early on. So my teammate started to attack the other team and getting on my case about why I wasn't doing better. Well I just got rushed fucker. I end up cleaning up the match with the few big tanks I managed to crank out, but before that could happen my teammate started insulting me. So I threw my headset off and immediatly did the filecomplaint/avoidplayer thing. We won, but at the end of the match I had to watch my teammate insult me by flipping the bird to my via cam. I took comfort in the fact that I have the same power, and if I choose to I could just camera tea bag him to counter his rudeness, but I try to be above that. In short, yes the camera is going to make things worse, but it is benefical at times as well. double edged sword.

The only time I've been booted out of a room in RS:V was the one time I somehow stumbled into a room of very low rank players (not that my level is high or anything). If the room consists of a bunch of people starting to learn the game and they don't want a "high" ranking player in the room, I understand.

Anyhow my buddies and I usually host our games and we generally don't kick people out unless it's for one of three reasons:

1. You don't have your mic plugged in. If it's just a sharpshooter match where it's everyman for himself it's no big deal. However, if it's a team oriented match (like most of ours are) and someone doesn't have a mic plugged in, we ask that they plug it in and if it isn't within a minute or so we generally boot them. This applies to both teams, we don't just boot people on our side without mic.

2. You make an ass out of yourself before the match even begins. This includes coming in and screaming in a high pitched voice, calling other players vulgar names, etc.

3. Your ping is red. If their connection to the game isn't good enough, we boot them since the lag interferes and effects everyone.

Solution:

1. Add a bunch of CAGs or whoever to your friends list
2. Play with them
3. Avoid the cesspool that is xbox live.

or, alternately

3. Play on xbl but learn to laugh at the people on there and not take it personally.

You can't change, as brak put it, "the people." It's like pissing in an ocean of piss.

and yeah, USE YOUR HEADSET IN TEAM GAMES. that's the worst when you play GoW or something and your team is getting slaughtered because there's no collaboration.

[quote name='redgopher'] I dropped into multiplayer on Xbox Live. At this point it was around 2:30am. Around this time there are few people online, some of them are from across the pond, and what have you, but there's always people playing. So I join a Sharpshooter match, and not five seconds later, I'm kicked out.

"Why am I being kicked," I ask myself. "Maybe it was a server thing, I dunno." So I try to join another, different match. Again, I am kicked almost immediately. "Okay, maybe it's because I don't have my headset plugged in." I plug in my headset and set it aside, because I don't want to be called a fag by a 12 year old boy. I join the match again, and I am kicked.

I start to realize that because I haven't played multiplayer that much--after all I only just started the single player campaign this week--I have a very poor rank of Private First Class. I try to join another game, and once again I am kicked.

I decide that the Vegas people are assholes,
[/QUOTE]

Yea RSV is the worst game on xbox live. No matter your rank you not good enough, and somone kicks you. I owned the game, and could never play cause I got kicked from every room for a straight week. I then sold it. I've meet a lot of assholes online, but RSV holds the treasure trove.

I am under 18, and most of the time I do talk, and that just annoys people not because im talking about stupid stuff, or cursing like crazy, but because some people just HATE talking. Its annoying though, when these same people don't want to use the mic for teamwork either! Why even bother wearing the mic then?

Any way, the whole level thing has never been too big of a deal for me, especially in every game except halo, and in halo I loved playing with lower levels because I saw it as an easy win. I didn't taunt them for not being as good, because it was in my favor that they were not good.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']I agree with a lot of what the OP said, but the door swings both ways.

My son (who is 10) plays on my account, and he gets kicked because he's "a little kid". He's a damn good player, can play well as a member of a team, and treats noobs better than a lot of ppl I've seen.

One Saturday he was hosting a game of some FPS (can't remember which one since I have most of them) and a noob dropped in. I listened in and heard the guy tell my kid how cool it was that he was being helpful practically teaching the game to the guy and not being a dick about it.

In spite of that, he's kicked on a regular basis because he's a "little kid".

Age filter? XBL needs a dick filter.[/quote]
Thats cool you let your kid play.

But please dont give him the mic. It's annoying, takes you out of the experience and makes it frusturating.

When Marcus Fenix is talking like a little boy, it really gets me annoyed.

I'm sorry man. I just HATE little kids on games.

Its rated 17+ Keep it that way.

It's great you think your kid is awsome. But he is your kid. And he is 10.

am under 18, and most of the time I do talk, and that just annoys people not because im talking about stupid stuff, or cursing like crazy, but because some people just HATE talking. Its annoying though, when these same people don't want to use the mic for teamwork either! Why even bother wearing the mic then?

Any way, the whole level thing has never been too big of a deal for me, especially in every game except halo, and in halo I loved playing with lower levels because I saw it as an easy win. I didn't taunt them for not being as good, because it was in my favor that they were not good.

It is that younger teens/kids like to talk. They like to talk alot. Almost every Gears of War game I join has either a few people talking about strategey every once in a while, or it has a bunch of kids talking to each other. Everytime I play and there is a kid with a mic. He never, ever shuts up. ALL he says is, "Hey, can anyone hear me? Can anyone hear me? Hey, hey guys. Can anyone hear me?" And all I hear is, "SHUT...UP!!" And then back to the little boy, "What? You can hear me? Can you hear me?"

And once he figures out that yes, people can hear you. Its a mic you talk into it and people can hear you. Then once he is in the know he WONT shut up!

Future controlls should have a fingerprint scanner were you hold the controller, and it automatically tells your age. That would be AMAZING.

Yeah man i hate getting kicked from games too. Sometimes its because i lag, which is understandable, but at least ask me to leave first.

I got really heated this weekend on Gears. I always play ranked matches unless my friends are on. So a friend logs on and i join his room....I chainsaw'd the host who was trying to snipe and wasnt watching his back and he booted me.

Then i join another friends room, and i get killed due to friendly fire. Made me mad but i shrug it off, two rounds later i pick up the sniper and the guy goes "wtf i wanted that", so i go "no problem" and drop the sniper for my lancer. Right then he goes "you fucking bitch", kills me with his shotgun(mind you im switching to lancer so nothing i can do) and then boots me from the room. I was so mad that i deleted the friend that invited me to that team.

So the best solution is to play with a host you know or play in a way so you cant be booted if you are having problems with that.

Age means nothing...sure its annoying with the squeaky kids who suck and talk shit but i find that amusing more than anything. Its the older people that start calling me nigger and other stuff that ticks me off.

edit:
and darknessbear, you have no room to talk. Just because you are older you want to exclude the younger players? Marcus doesnt have to sound like anything. In fact, when people try to talk like they are locust it becomes very annoying and doesnt give the game a better feel. Acting as if you never played a game that was rated 17+ before you were 17. Some of my cousins under 17 provide better competiton than some people who play games at my college.

Ugh, I hate playing online in PUG groups.

I play DOTA online (Warcraft 3 mod) and every game I have played, every game, has atleast 1 person that continuosly talks like this:

"UGH! my team fucking sucks. They are a bunch of $$$$$$s! Shit you fucking suck!!!! I hate my team! I AM LOSING CAUSE OF MY fuckING TEAM! Ugh!! Do you guys like cock!? Christ you guys suck!"

Its in every game. I don't get it!

I had this same problem when I first started doing online console games (SOCOM) and tried this route to avoid playing with kids who were complete assholes. Initially I got reamed from a couple 16 year old's who could hold their own in a debate, but they were the exception to the norm.

I ended up finding a group that was comprised of 25+ working-class guys who formed a clan (I use that term loosly since it was just a gaming group) for Soldier of Fortune 2. What was so cool was that no matter how good or bad you were, we accepted anyone who remembered their roots (I.E. realized that everyone needs to start someone and everyone, at one time, was a "noob").

For the most part, I've been lucky with R6:Vegas and have played with some good guys, but again I have run into a few idiots that were spamming "You're a fag" to everyone.

I say start your own matches and boot for people being dicks, that way you have control and can set the precident. If anyone doesn't want to play by your rules, they can find a different sandbox ... and honestly I think people will appreciate that and will want to continue playing in your games.

I just don't like to talk over the headset to people I don't know. Shit sometimes I don't even answer the phone when friends call.

The most annoying thing in team games is the one person really getting into it, like its real life, barking orders. Yawn, I'm a rec player, and its just a game I'm turning off in 5 Min's anyway.

[quote name='Stingermck']I just don't like to talk over the headset to people I don't know. Shit sometimes I don't even answer the phone when friends call.

The most annoying thing in team games is the one person really getting into it, like its real life, barking orders. Yawn, I'm a rec player, and its just a game I'm turning off in 5 Min's anyway.[/QUOTE]

well it is a team game for a reason. You should play FEAR, Halo, or free for all games if you don't like working together. I don't like when people take things too seriously either, but working together against another team is what makes games like Vegas fun online.

[quote name='Z-Saber']So 16-20 is "college age" now? Crap, why was I still in high school back then?[/QUOTE]

Over acheievers, I guess. I got out of school at 18, went to college for a year, then took a break, and then started working, and am going back to college this fall. So I'll be 21 going back in and 24 or 25 coming out.

And if I decide I want a masters, I'll be 27 or 28.

I love the way people blame the "younger players". It has absolutely nothing to do with age. It is about maturity. I am 14 years old. However, i am a nice guy. See, if I saw you joining my match, I would let you stay. I don't see a reason in hell not to let you. Also, maturity is not achieved by age. Without my Mic on, i have been kicked out of games by older people (judged by their voices). "Oh Yea, he must be a noob". I know how it feels. Thus, I do not kick others. I wouldn't mind playing a round with ya once in a while. Add me on xbox live sometime.

[quote name='linkpwns']I love the way people blame the "younger players". It has absolutely nothing to do with age. It is about maturity.[/QUOTE]
It has a lot to do with age. I know it's hard to accept that at 14, especially if you're an exception, but it's true. Age and maturity fairly strongly correlate, and where they diverge it's in favor of immaturity in older people rather than maturity in younger people.

My live tag is so awesome, I rarely get trash talk(Who would say something spiteful against Jesus?). When I do get someone heckling me, it's pretty easy to out wit that person and turn the tables on them.

[quote name='Damian']It has a lot to do with age. I know it's hard to accept that at 14, especially if you're an exception, but it's true. Age and maturity fairly strongly correlate, and where they diverge it's in favor of immaturity in older people rather than maturity in younger people.[/quote]

I guess it is true. Whenever some of my friends come over, they always say "Lets go online and say penis repeatedly until we get kicked out of the room". I have to refuse. It is not, in the least bit, amusing. Playing a game for real is more fun. I guess maturity has a lot to do with age, but not in every occasion.

[quote name='linkpwns']Whenever some of my friends come over, they always say "Lets go online and say penis repeatedly until we get kicked out of the room". [/quote]

they seriously say those words in that order?

...that might explain a lot ;)

[quote name='Z-Saber']So 16-20 is "college age" now? Crap, why was I still in high school back then?[/QUOTE]

I was referring to 21 and up... though it's more like 18-23 or so.

[quote name='linkpwns']I guess it is true. Whenever some of my friends come over, they always say "Lets go online and say penis repeatedly until we get kicked out of the room". I have to refuse. It is not, in the least bit, amusing. Playing a game for real is more fun. I guess maturity has a lot to do with age, but not in every occasion.[/QUOTE]
That's the funniest thing I've read today. At least you're proving the exception.

I wish MS would allow Gold members to setup 360s as a dedicated server. I would buy a few 360s and some more bandwidth if I could set up some fair dedicated Halo 3 servers.

[quote name='Mister Switch']they seriously say those words in that order?

...that might explain a lot ;)[/quote]

Yes, they actually do.

Once I played one of my friends on PS2 Online, and he took his ipod, put the headphones to the microphone, and put on the song "I wanna fuck a dog in the ass". Followed by the song "The Grampa Song" (Which involves sex with grandfathers... incest and breaking the age of consent are a really bad combination...)

[quote name='lordwow']
Do you need to wear one when playing casual games? No. [/QUOTE]

Has anyone ever played Catan where you're the only with a headset on? It's like playing against three idiot computers that take forever to move.

I'd like to leet you know that most of the younger people on Xbox live aren't assholes, it's just you can't tell that they're a younger person because either they don't have a high voice or they aren't acting like a dick. The ones that are mature automatically gets treated like crap because of the high voice. It's lame. Age filter is balls, period. Have fun dealing with 18+ year old dicks.

Yeah, some people on XBL are dicks, but that's what makes it better to kill them. I've never played R6V or GRAW, but gears ranked is ok. Alot of people complain about the dicks in gears ranked, but I don't see it. And if you feel they are dicks, then you have the option to play with friends or in less competitive matches. Period.

Oh, don't be the guy who doens't war a headset, You ruin everything. We need you, but not wearing a headset just says " screw you guys" when we didn't do anything to you. Even if you have annoying teammates, you NEED that headset.

PS. Smack talk is fun when someone is sptting it at yo u and you just go back a forth, especially when it's some gangsta wanna be.

[quote name='vinhjdao']Has anyone ever played Catan where you're the only with a headset on? It's like playing against three idiot computers that take forever to move.[/QUOTE]

I don't consider Catan a "Casual Game," but yes I have, and yes it does feel like that.

Even worse? I played a game last night and was unable to make a single trade the entire game.

That's right... no trades.

Thrilling.

My voice isn't too bad. But I have met countless others who have been yelled at to stop talking because their voices are too high. Even though they are not doing anything wrong
If a person's voice pitch annoys you, then yes, you need an age filter. If a person is annoying you, you should be able to squelch him (silence). Regardless, if it is getting kicked out of games, I don't think it has anything to do with age, only with picking the "elite".

Personally this subject seems to pop up a lot on almost every forum that i visit.

Honestly, the easiest thing to do is just keep a cool head and just move on.

Because at the end of the day,14 year olds don't have a driver's license...so you could just drive there and beat the hell outta 'em if you wanted too.

haha, but in all seriousness. The only reason they plague the xbox 360 is because parents are paying enough attention to the way kids play. or let alone what there kids play, I think an M rated video game should be taken as seriously as buying a pack of cigs.

if my kid ever said "fucking canadians" or "fucking camping son of a bitch" not only would i ground him, i'd beat his ass.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I wish MS would allow Gold members to setup 360s as a dedicated server. I would buy a few 360s and some more bandwidth if I could set up some fair dedicated Halo 3 servers.[/QUOTE]

Counter-Strike on Xbox had this feature. Just another reason why it was awesome.

As for the OP, I feel for you, but there's no real solution for this, beyond human genocide.

I love the way people blame the "younger players". It has absolutely nothing to do with age. It is about maturity.

It is a mentality known as, I believe, 'playing the percentages'. As in, yes, minors are more 'annoying' or obnoxious than adults. As a rule. We are not talking about a 1:1 correlation, so please understand that you and the others giving us the 'Whoa, wait a second!' (predictable) rhetoric are in the minority.

Besides, outside of "Jacko" and "SpecialGuy29" from NBC Dateline, when does the average 25+-year-old want to socialize in any capacity with someone half his age? It's just not meant to be. It's not healthy. Unfortunately, we are all cast together in the online 'community'.

P.S. As sick as it sounds, after I catching up on this thread, I have to say, the day when the inevitable happens and some punk gets pummeled into permanent Leto-in-Fight Club-esque disfiguration (or worse) because someone they pissed off on Live meets them in the real world (most likely because they got cocky enough to taunt the perp with their hometown and address), I will not feel a bit saddened. As a matter of fact, it will positively brighten my day. A lot of people have that sort of thing coming.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Counter-Strike on Xbox had this feature. Just another reason why it was awesome.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know I had 2 server xboxs hooked up to their own modems for CS xbox. Those where the days. Wolfienstien use to let you do that too.

Well, I had my first "kicked because of no headset" experience today and it left me kind of sour on the whole online thing (at least with strangers). It was in a Burnout Revenge players match and it took 10-15 minutes for the room to fill up. Two of us weren't plugged in and once it filled up the guy said "See you Odibee". Whatever - I heard what they were yammering on about while waiting and I wanted no part of it. I just wanted to race. I see no point in voice chat on a game like that. If they wanted to wait another 10 minutes for the game to fill up with yackers so be it. This was around 1:30 AM Pacific by the way, on the night the Halo 3 beta was finally up. I guess if I ever do that again (which seems unlikely) I'll just plug in the headset and set it aside. Hell, I haven't even taken mine out of the plastic. I really don't see the appeal in talking to a bunch of numbnuts playing games (where the talk can't possibly help the gameplay as in BR) ;). (Now if I got into games with you guys that would be different).

So, yeah, on team-based games I totally understand the headset requirement. But a casual 6 player race in BR? Not so much...

I actually played a ranked game before that and those guys didn't care. Of course, I got my ass kicked in that race :rofl:. In my defense, this was my very first night playing it (just started the game and got 13% through it before jumping online).

IMO the best thing to do is stick with the CAGs here. I don't think I've had a game yet where a CAG has been an ass to play with. Granted it's tough to get everyone into a room, but it can be done (I've seen it with PDZ a few weeks ago).

I thought about starting a dedicated gaming thread where people announce hosted games and set a time, there seems to be quite a bit of that going around with older games (PDZ, BF2, I thought I saw a Saint's Row, Halo 2, etc).

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']
I thought about starting a dedicated gaming thread where people announce hosted games and set a time, there seems to be quite a bit of that going around with older games (PDZ, BF2, I thought I saw a Saint's Row, Halo 2, etc).[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me.

You know Halo 2, and presumably Halo 3 have great ways to solve this on 360: the party system. Team up with a friend or a group of friends, set your preferences for voice to friends only, then go into matchmaking. You'll never hear a word of the other teams bs, and you still get communication with your team. I wish every game would have this type of party system. It really does offer the best of playing ranked and custom games all at the same time.

In the meantime, my XBL time outside of Halo has switched almost entirely to custom and co-op gaming with friends. All the fun of on-line without the assholes.

^^^ I wasn't aware any games had that type of option. Sounds like it ought to be mandatory in all games ;).

[quote name='Don Wuebos']

haha, but in all seriousness. The only reason they plague the xbox 360 is because parents are paying enough attention to the way kids play. or let alone what there kids play, I think an M rated video game should be taken as seriously as buying a pack of cigs.
[/quote]

I could not disagree with you any more than I do now. Well, hold on, yes I can.
1) Buying (Rather, smoking them) cigs are bad from your health. Also needless to say, they are quite accessable to most teens in America

2)I could walk into a movie store, and walk out with several different R rated movies without penalty.

3)What is so bad about a mature rated game? My parents accept that I play them, and even play along sometimes. I consider an M-Rated game the equivelent to an R-rated movie, and sometimes even PG-13. Can you really tell me that there is anything so terrible in Halo that only a 17+ year old can play? That is rediculous.

4)However, I do agree with you on one part. Parents do need to regulate what their children are doing. If they obviously aren't mature enough to handle playing a game with intense violence, cursing, etc., then they shouldn't be able to. As previously stated, I find myself quite mature, and able to control myself online. I don't do much trash-talk (well, once in a while, when I feel it is necessary), hell, I hardly even talk all that much. Then again, I guess I am not like many 14 year olds.

[quote name='io']^^^ I wasn't aware any games had that type of option. Sounds like it ought to be mandatory in all games ;).[/QUOTE]

That's not a game option, it's a 360 option under your Voice settings.

[quote name='io']Well, I had my first "kicked because of no headset" experience today and it left me kind of sour on the whole online thing (at least with strangers). It was in a Burnout Revenge players match and it took 10-15 minutes for the room to fill up. Two of us weren't plugged in and once it filled up the guy said "See you Odibee". Whatever - I heard what they were yammering on about while waiting and I wanted no part of it. I just wanted to race. I see no point in voice chat on a game like that. If they wanted to wait another 10 minutes for the game to fill up with yackers so be it. This was around 1:30 AM Pacific by the way, on the night the Halo 3 beta was finally up. I guess if I ever do that again (which seems unlikely) I'll just plug in the headset and set it aside. Hell, I haven't even taken mine out of the plastic. I really don't see the appeal in talking to a bunch of numbnuts playing games (where the talk can't possibly help the gameplay as in BR) ;). (Now if I got into games with you guys that would be different).

So, yeah, on team-based games I totally understand the headset requirement. But a casual 6 player race in BR? Not so much...

I actually played a ranked game before that and those guys didn't care. Of course, I got my ass kicked in that race :rofl:. In my defense, this was my very first night playing it (just started the game and got 13% through it before jumping online).[/QUOTE]

Burnout is in the mail, I'll see YOU online.

And the reason I don't play on XBOX live...well that and my 360 is in for repairs. If I want to be berated by children, I'll shut the TV off and play a board game with my wife and kids.

Single player is fine for me!

Some of you guys need to familiarize yourselves with the mute function. Is someone being obnoxious? Mute them! I hear Halo 3 makes this very easy.

[quote name='dafoomie']Some of you guys need to familiarize yourselves with the mute function. Is someone being obnoxious? Mute them! I hear Halo 3 makes this very easy.[/quote]

It's easy enough to mute people in a lobby in any game, not sure about doing it once the game is launched.

Getting kicked in Burnout for not wearing the headset is ridiculous, surely no-one can argue voice chat is required in that game, R6 fair enough.

[quote name='ZForce915']Burnout is in the mail, I'll see YOU online.[/QUOTE]

Uh-oh. I better play through more single-player and get better ;).

bread's done
Back