Trying to turn old 360 into new Slim

swim83

CAG Newbie
Hey guys, I've been doing some research and trying to figure out how I can sell/trade-in my release day Xbox 360 20gb towards a new 4gb slim, since I can find a cheap knock-off HDD on eBay.

Does anyone know if it'd be better to take my 360 to Gamestop or to sell it on eBay? I was thinking there might be some value in a release day 360 with all components, box, instructions, etc...

Well regarding the HDD, you can just use the 20gb that you have in your current 360. I don't think there is much value in a release day 360 due to RROD but I might be wrong.

Well I did the permanent fix for that by taking apart the Xbox and putting new thermal paste in there and what not. I'm not sure if that decreases value or not

[quote name='swim83']Well I did the permanent fix for that by taking apart the Xbox and putting new thermal paste in
there and what not. I'm not sure if that decreases value or not[/QUOTE]

As far as launch consoles are concerned, there is no "permanent" fix unless you replace the first-gen heatsyncs and put in a better fan...or do something crazy like liquid cool the thing... With stock cooling fans and first-gen heatsyncs it will RROD again guaranteed, only a matter of time. Once a launch system has RROD'ed it is doomed to happen again and again. It may run for a week, a month, or a year after the fix, but it WILL RROD again. Also, the fact that it has been opened hurts the value and may make it harder to sell.

Anyway...

A working launch console is worth about $60 - $70 with cords. Maybe $75 - $80 with a 20GB HDD.

The problem is that since it has been opened the warranty seal under the faceplate has been broken. Since this sticker is broken or missing now, Gamestop will not take it...just as well, many people will refuse to buy it if they know that seal is broken. All you gotta do is pop off the faceplate and look...

Your best bet is to sell it for like $80 (if you can get that much) on Craigslist. Gamestop would only give you $50 to $70 for it anyway, and that is with it unopened and the warranty seal intact (and with a controller).

Opened launch Xbox 360s are dirt cheap (ones without HDMI). I can buy opened rrod systems, console only, for $20 - $30 bucks (maybe $40 w/all cords and HDD)...then fix them and resell them for ~$75 with cords. The fact that you did the fix yourself actually hurts the value since you probably did not do it professionally with a heat gun or reflow station (you probably just replaced the thermal paste and maybe overheated the board by running it with the fan off...hopefully you at least got rid of the x-clamps and bolted the heatsyncs on w/M5 bolts). It is extremely likely to red ring again when "fixed" improperly (and launch consoles have about a 40% failure rate as it is, which is EXTREMELY high).

IMHO your best bet is to Craigslist it and hope someone who doesnt know much about Xbox 360s wants to buy it...and doesn't ask too many questions, heh.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you wanna save your 20gb HDD for your new slim
Watch this to open
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6qV3EiuaHI

I bought this case (There are cheaper cases available, but I went with this one because IMO it was best quality, also I restricted myself to USA sellers only you may find someone who will sell you cheaper from overseas, and it was 5.69 when I bought it price has gone up.)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XBOX-360-SL...510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415e4d7016

If you however are going to buy a new HDD, I would first recommend you look to finding a cheap official MS HDD because those can play original Xbox titles and will have less issues, 3rd party ones can play the titles with a little soft mod but there's always a little risk with all of that. If you don't mind just a minor upgrade if your lucky a local sears might have an official 60gb starter pack left for $20 clearance, or you could wait for a gamestop HDD deal, i got a 120gb used for $20 (not bad for the price!) If you buy a new HDD though your going to have to transfer all your data with transfer cable! (gota buy or rent that form somewhere!)

hope this helps!

Thanks for all the help guys. I fixed it in the summer of '09, and it has been working perfectly ever since.

I should've made a move during the Black Friday sales, but wasn't thinking about the grinding sounds of the release day 360's. It gets very obnoxious in my dorm room that already has "studio quality" acoustics.

Im gonna upgrade from 250 slim to 320 slim, i find it lame how i have to decrease the value of my item to sell it online. a 250 console should NOT sell for $150 on ebay yet they do....stupid buyers market

Your better off just waiting till your current system dies then buy a new one or just keep yours around as a spare. I wont even sell a 360 anymore, Its too risky incase it rrod. I just have piles here that i use until they rrod then swap drives and toss them. I think ive been through 6 now.

Supply and demand, there's a ton of these things floating around that everyone is trying to get rid of and of course everyone is trying to get the best price. If you really need to move it, you have to decrease your asking price because if you don't, someone else will. It all depends on how badly you want to get rid of it and how quickly you want to get your new slim.

I personally got rid of my launch console when the slims were first released. I got roughly ~$150 at Gamestop towards the purchase of a new slim and I was happy with that, knowing that a bunch of these would be going on the used market.

bread's done
Back