Trying to use monitor as replacement tv

multicoloredyoshi

CAGiversary!
So my HDTV broke and I won't have the cash for a replacement anytime soon, so instead I want to use my monitor to hook up my games to. Mainly just want to focus on my Wii and 360 as my PS3 connects to it fine via a dvi to hdmi cable I was using to connect my PC to the tv. So what do I need to accomplish this using the least amount of cash? My monitor accepts both vga and dvi.
Would something like this cable work? I noticed someone said they were able to use it to connect a Wii to a projector, but I'm thinking I might need something more like this converter box? I'm open to other options too but really want to pay less than $50 if possible.

thanks for the quick reply. the xbox 360 cable is guaranteed to work and is cheaper than a converter box so it's a definite option. The cable you suggested for the Wii is a great price and female unlike the cable I was looking at. I was wondering how I can tell if my monitor accepts a component signal without need of an adapter though. Also could not the cable you suggested for the Wii work just as well for my 360 and save me cash?

Question for you Yoshi. I use the 360 HDMI setup with a HDMI-DVI adapter for my 360, but I'm unsure about my PS3. Since the 360 has the "dongle" with the two audio outs, what do you do with your PS3 to output the audio to external speakers?

I wish my 360 model had the hdmi, then I would be set to go with that. For the PS3 you can choose your audio output in the settings. I just use the composite cable to output the sound.

Oh great thanks! I thought it might be able to do something like that but I hadn't taken the time to fumble around with the menus.

As for the 360, my first one didn't have one and it annoyed me so much, I ended up getting a second for obscenely cheap with a 60GB HDD and HDMI, just for purposes such as this.

well decided to go with SEH's cable recommendation for the Wii. If that doesn't work at least I won't lose out on much, and I will either go with a converter box or vga cables for each system though those tend to be pricey for just cables. Probably went a little too cheap but hope it pays off.

bread's done
Back