TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

FatBoyInside

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
gdpteemblz1zjqrwmupn.jpg
 ​
regions.jpg
 ​
 ​

OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE : MARCH 19, 2020   (MSRP is $99.99)

AMAZON will be the EXCLUSIVE SELLER for this device, and pre-orders will open up on July 15th.

Konami's plug and play mini-replica system (roughly 85% of the original console's dimensions to maintain authenticity) will feature USB-enabled original-sized controller, HDMI-output, different display modes, quick save function for its pre-loaded games, and multitap accessory support (sold separately) for up to 5 players at once.  50 pre-loaded games currently announced are :

​
American Titles (English language only)
  • Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II

PC Engine titles (Japanese language only)
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (aka Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes (SuperGrafx game)
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts - SuperGrafx game)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

Additional Turbo TG-16 mini controller - 2800 yen  (approx. $28)

Multi-tap TG-16 mini expansion accessory for 4 added controller ports - 3400 yen (approx. $34)

There are overlaps of games from the two different regions, so all titles are in their original language only.  If any other details arise, I will be sure to update this page. Cheers!

Official website is HERE

For comparison's sake, the Japanese counterpart (PC Engine Mini) will include the following exclusive titles:

• Tokimeki Memorial (Dating sim) to replace Salamander

Cool stats to noodle over : 138 licensed games were released for the Turbografx-16 in North America, with 44 of them being on the CD-format.  On the other hand, a total of 650 games were officially released commercially in Japan for the PC Engine.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I do think the TG16 mini will ultimately get harder to find overtime and I don't foresee it getting the deep discounts we've seen with the PS Classic or Genesis Mini. That being said anyone who wants one of these shouldn't have an issue getting one, Amazon will likely have them available for purchase once it does release.
I would think that would be kind of obvious considering Amazon is the only retailer. I'm sure there will be much less supply than the other mini consoles.

I would think that would be kind of obvious considering Amazon is the only retailer. I'm sure there will be much less supply than the other mini consoles.
I would think the demand would be lower here as well. The TG16 really did not do all that well in the US, therefore the nostalgia is more limited. The previous minis had a significant number of people grow up with those consoles. The TG16 had its fans, of course, but really doesn't have the mindshare of a NES, Genesis, SNES or Playstation.

Due for release on December 31st? Yikes. Guess I'm going back to my Genesis Mini...
Normally whenever they have no clue on a release date within a year, December 31st is just a place holder until they can post the actual date. Of course this can often roll over to the next year in delay situations, and with this virus running crazy, 2021 isn't out of the question either.

Due for release on December 31st? Yikes. Guess I'm going back to my Genesis Mini..
Normally whenever they have no clue on a release date within a year, December 31st is just a place holder until they can post the actual date. Of course this can often roll over to the next year in delay situations, and with this virus running crazy, 2021 isn't out of the question either.
Yeah, the 12/31 is definitely a place holder date and I would imagine we'd see them well before then, but you aren't wrong either 2021 certainly isn't out of the question at this point. Basically enough time for me to once again forget about the TG16 Mini and be surprised when I get charged the $$$ when it finally ships.

Now that it's back, might get one. What accessories do you guys recommend? Looks like it doesn't come with a power cord and second controller? I haven't ever played any Turbografx 16 games other than Ys Book I and II on Wii virtual console.

$100 seems a bit high. I love the TG, but I'm spoiled by the prices of other minis.
Most of the recent minis have been relatively priced, and several of them have had fewer games. I would easily agree that the PS1 Classic was not worth its price tag. But I think the TurboGrafx is a bit more reasonable, given how many games it is going to have, and given who is handling the emulation. I felt considerably better about paying for the Genesis mini.

You always have the option of waiting for a price drop. Supply has been consistent for all of the non-Nintendo mini systems. So a bit of patience will likely make the TG-16 available at some point for a reduced cost. If you do hold off, I would recommend keeping a sharp eye on it though. This is the sort of thing where they might clear it out fairly suddenly, and then never produce it again. If there is a major price drop, it probably won't last long. If in half a year or so, it drops to $60 or less, jump on that.

I preordered a PC Engine from Amazon.co.jp by signing up for a Japanese Amazon Prime trial, but I had thought all versions of the TG16 would have the same games. I just saw that the PCE one won’t come with Salamander (Life Force), but the US TG16 will. NOOOOOO. Guess I’ll wait for the TG16 to have a steep discount (50% off or more).

I preordered a PC Engine from Amazon.co.jp by signing up for a Japanese Amazon Prime trial, but I had thought all versions of the TG16 would have the same games. I just saw that the PCE one won’t come with Salamander (Life Force), but the US TG16 will. NOOOOOO. Guess I’ll wait for the TG16 to have a steep discount (50% off or more).
That's weird given it is a game that never came out in the US, yet it will be on the US one. Maybe some sort of licensing issue, but given it is being made by Konaml who made the game that would be strange.

So this has been getting into the hands of reviewers, is this finally releasing? I cant find any info online.
Many of the reviewers got it from Amazon Japan. They released it there, and even have the Turbographx version of the console as they have all three versions in that region since it was very popular. It isn't shipping yet in the US, although the more mainstream reviewers are putting out reviews (namely IGN) and not just YouTubers it indicates they might know something about it. There is no official word on it yet, though.

$100 seems a bit high. I love the TG, but I'm spoiled by the prices of other minis.
It is but I still pre ordered it and an extra controller.

But after it was confirmed snatcher would not be in English I cancelled mine. That one game was the tipping point for me being willing to pay that much, without it I'm not buying it. If the price drops to 40 or 50 dollars then I'll get one.

I received my Core Graphx preorder from Amazon Japan over two weeks ago. I really dig it. $100? That's debatable, but for someone like me, that never had the original system and whose TG16 experiences come from the Wii eShop, I think it's worth the price.

Though they should've included a second controller. At least the cord is lengthy, and I have no problem sitting on my couch where I normally sit. I can't tell if the turbo switches actually work though. They don't seem, to affect gameplay when active. The UI is really slick and has some really cool, little touches like how games load.

So are these easily moddable? I have no interest in collecting physical turbo games which is rare for me. I'd like to have this semi official hardware loaded with all the games if I'm gonna bother to get one.

So are these easily moddable? I have no interest in collecting physical turbo games which is rare for me. I'd like to have this semi official hardware loaded with all the games if I'm gonna bother to get one.
Well the software is done by M2, which did the Genesis Mini. It took a while, but they finally hacked that. Most likely it will take a bit of time, but I imagine similar techniques were used to secure it so it is only a matter of time.

And I doubt there will be the space available to load all the games. You could probably load all the HuCard based games, but a lot of the best games for it are CD based.

Thanks for the info! I didn't look into it much. I know some of these are running games off of USB sticks and stuff so I was hopeful. I'll pack whatever I can get onto it. I'm only familiar with bonk for the most part anyway.

Thanks for the info! I didn't look into it much. I know some of these are running games off of USB sticks and stuff so I was hopeful. I'll pack whatever I can get onto it. I'm only familiar with bonk for the most part anyway.
Just give it time. Guaranteed this will be hacked by the Hakchi team or someone else at some point. In fact, I wouldn't even be surprised if hacks were already available by the time it finally comes out.

Just give it time. Guaranteed this will be hacked by the Hakchi team or someone else at some point. In fact, I wouldn't even be surprised if hacks were already available by the time it finally comes out.
Oh yeah, I'm sure it will be. The only issue is whether you will be able to use external media, which may or may not be possible (without total replacement of the internal code). It was for the Playstation Classic, but requires either the controller port mod or an OTG cable. Sony treated everything about that console like an afterthought, which is why they hacked is so quick and blew it wide open.

How are people getting this? I have had it preordered since the beginning but it does not show its shipping anytime soon.

NM, I guess people are getting it from japan

TG-16 USA is not shipping from Japan its the PAL/JP versions which I both have from amazon, if you see a USA TG-16 it must be from Konami review free handouts.

TG-16 USA is not shipping from Japan its the PAL/JP versions which I both have from amazon, if you see a USA TG-16 it must be from Konami review free handouts.
One of the youtube reviews said they ordered it from amazon japan and it was the us version.

Yep, I can confirm as well that Amazon Japan has been selling the US version of this device. And since supply chains are greatly delayed or shut down in some cases from Asia, Japan was closer to the source of these being produced, and is probably why they have it to sell and the US does not.

I received my Core Graphx preorder from Amazon Japan over two weeks ago. I really dig it. $100? That's debatable, but for someone like me, that never had the original system and whose TG16 experiences come from the Wii eShop, I think it's worth the price.

Though they should've included a second controller. At least the cord is lengthy, and I have no problem sitting on my couch where I normally sit. I can't tell if the turbo switches actually work though. They don't seem, to affect gameplay when active. The UI is really slick and has some really cool, little touches like how games load.
The original TG-16 only shipped with one controller, and there was only one plug input to take the controller. In fact, you had to buy a "tap" accessory to play with 2 (or more) controllers.

Just an FYI but it's already been hacked and the team behind the hack is working on a pc tool to make it easy to mod.  It's not out in the public yet, but just know that it is getting close and all versions of this thing use the same board and programming, so get the one you like the looks of the most.   That is, if you are interested in expanding it's library.

Just an FYI but it's already been hacked and the team behind the hack is working on a pc tool to make it easy to mod. It's not out in the public yet, but just know that it is getting close and all versions of this thing use the same board and programming, so get the one you like the looks of the most. That is, if you are interested in expanding it's library.
How big is the internal storafe for this? Given it has a bunch of CD games, I would have to imagine it's bigger than the other mini systems.

English patched YS IV and Dracula X - day one adds. Beyond Shadowgate, Neo Nectaris, Valis IV - so many great possibilities.

The original TG-16 only shipped with one controller
Not relevant. It's a $99 mini system and every mini $80 and up has shipped with two - even the PS Classic which inarguably had more expensive hardware.

Also, with them only offering white PC Engine controllers as accessories, they've basically gone out of their way to make sure TG and CoreGrafx buyers can't get a matching second controller. They should have been in the box.

Not relevant. It's a $99 mini system and every mini $80 and up has shipped with two - even the PS Classic which inarguably had more expensive hardware.

Also, with them only offering white PC Engine controllers as accessories, they've basically gone out of their way to make sure TG and CoreGrafx buyers can't get a matching second controller. They should have been in the box.
Just skip two meals at Taco Bell and buy another controller. I know the name of the site is cheapassgamer, but holy cow.

Just get this:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0872QNPHK/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

edit - seems to go in and out of stock.

Just skip two meals at Taco Bell and buy another controller. I know the name of the site is cheapassgamer, but holy cow.
Reading comprehension. They do not offer controllers that match two out of the three models.

The package remains overpriced vs. everything comparable regardless. You can quit while you're behind now.

Reading comprehension. They do not offer controllers that match two out of the three models.

The package remains overpriced vs. everything comparable regardless. You can quit while you're behind now.
I was obviously responding to your first paragraph. You know, the one you conveniently omitted from the quote above.

The second paragraph I didn't even feel the need to address because I thought you were ending with a joke or something. In my mind, there was no way someone could possibly really be crying over the color of a secondary controller.

I'm not as bothered by the price as their game list is extensive and almost double what others offer. The controller situation is a little bothersome though, they really should have added a second controller, although if you really look at the list most of the games are really single player stuff (except Bomberman of course, which to do that right you need FIVE controllers - ultimate party game).

What you said is what really bothers me. I get these systems because I like they way they look like the originals, and not even offering a second matching controller is BS. I can already do a patchwork looking system for TG16 on the Raspberry Pi and play every game on the list. When you are getting these mini consoles for nostalgia, you want the look and feel to be right - and that includes the controllers. So unless they offer a matching TG16 controller, I'll stick with just the one. After all, it's just a standard USB controller and I'm sure most of the others will work just fine for play purposes (and the Mini TurboTap is likely just a USB hub, which is cheap and many already have one). If you already have a Genesis or Sony Mini, I'm sure those controllers will work if you have a friend over.

How big is the internal storafe for this? Given it has a bunch of CD games, I would have to imagine it's bigger than the other mini systems.

English patched YS IV and Dracula X - day one adds. Beyond Shadowgate, Neo Nectaris, Valis IV - so many great possibilities.
It's not been revealed yet, to my knowledge, but if you watch pdub's video on youtube it shows several CD games that the people doing this added to their system. So it must be at least big enough for a few CD games.

The second paragraph I didn't even feel the need to address because I thought you were ending with a joke or something. In my mind, there was no way someone could possibly really be crying over the color of a secondary controller.
Yet.. you address it anyway.

It's really quite unusual for hobbyists to be concerned with details, right? I guess they produced three different variants of an obscure 30-year-old console because no one they were selling to could be presumed to care whether they were getting CoreGrafx, TurboGrafx, or PC Engine items.

You're not concerned with saving money and you don't seem all that deep into the gaming. Why are you here?

Yet.. you address it anyway.

It's really quite unusual for hobbyists to be concerned with details, right? I guess they produced three different variants of an obscure 30-year-old console because no one they were selling to could be presumed to care whether they were getting CoreGrafx, TurboGrafx, or PC Engine items.

You're not concerned with saving money and you don't seem all that deep into the gaming. Why are you here?
I own new in box TurboDuos and Turbo Express Portables (look up how much those are worth) and original copies of Dracula X and Ys IV. Without even going further, I guarantee that already nets me more "Turbo Credibility" than you, since that seems to be what you're interested in measuring.

And yet you don't hear me crying about the color of a secondary controller. The cable lengths are also about 7 feet longer than the originals. Why aren't you whining about that?

Yeah, I'm thinking of ordering one from Amazon JP at this point.  I'm worried that it might not actually ever come here, or be hard to get when it does.

As far as the price goes...I've never played anything on the TG-16 Mini outside of a few minutes spent on commonly ported stuff like R-Type or Ghouls 'n Ghosts.  $100 is perfectly reasonable for the amount I would be getting.

Same here. Hope that date is a mistake, if not I think I may try ordering one from Amazon Japan. January 2021 is rediculous.
got that email too, but the moment it got delayed, the release date on the site changed to the very end of the year. Add to that the fact that even 2-day prime shipping is not 2 day at the moment, and I hope the delivery date given was just an automated thing.

The other thing to consider is that if they really do delay it that long, they may ultimately decide not to ship any over here at all. I'm not sure but I don't think the TG-16 version was originally going to be sold in Japan. What we're seeing sold on Amazon JP right now might end up being the only units that get produced.

The other thing to consider is that if they really do delay it that long, they may ultimately decide not to ship any over here at all. I'm not sure but I don't think the TG-16 version was originally going to be sold in Japan. What we're seeing sold on Amazon JP right now might end up being the only units that get produced.
Let's not be so anxious to jump down that rabbit hole. The release date as we all know was changed to 12/31/2020. It's still like that. That is a placeholder date because it is the last day of the year - a pretty safe bet when you have to plug in a value. The January 5th thing triggered today for everyone because they are likely messing around with Prime delivery expectations on all products due to Covid-19 and it likely inadvertently affected these pre-orders. If you notice most things have had their delivery dates adjusted recently, except what can be considered "necessities". If you look at the product page, you will notice it still says December 31st, 2020 - the 5th date is just an estimate for delivery.

But regardless, it would be nice if Konami would make some kind of an update on these things. Even if it is to say they can't give a specific date yet.

bread's done
Back