TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

FatBoyInside

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
gdpteemblz1zjqrwmupn.jpg
 ​
regions.jpg
 ​
 ​

OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE : MARCH 19, 2020   (MSRP is $99.99)

AMAZON will be the EXCLUSIVE SELLER for this device, and pre-orders will open up on July 15th.

Konami's plug and play mini-replica system (roughly 85% of the original console's dimensions to maintain authenticity) will feature USB-enabled original-sized controller, HDMI-output, different display modes, quick save function for its pre-loaded games, and multitap accessory support (sold separately) for up to 5 players at once.  50 pre-loaded games currently announced are :

​
American Titles (English language only)
  • Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II

PC Engine titles (Japanese language only)
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (aka Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes (SuperGrafx game)
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts - SuperGrafx game)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

Additional Turbo TG-16 mini controller - 2800 yen  (approx. $28)

Multi-tap TG-16 mini expansion accessory for 4 added controller ports - 3400 yen (approx. $34)

There are overlaps of games from the two different regions, so all titles are in their original language only.  If any other details arise, I will be sure to update this page. Cheers!

Official website is HERE

For comparison's sake, the Japanese counterpart (PC Engine Mini) will include the following exclusive titles:

• Tokimeki Memorial (Dating sim) to replace Salamander

Cool stats to noodle over : 138 licensed games were released for the Turbografx-16 in North America, with 44 of them being on the CD-format.  On the other hand, a total of 650 games were officially released commercially in Japan for the PC Engine.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered the TG-16 Mini from Amazon Japan on 4/23.  Curious to see how long it takes to get it with everything that’s going on.

EDIT:  Shipped about 10 hours after placing my order.  Estimated delivery date 4/28.

The other thing to consider is that if they really do delay it that long, they may ultimately decide not to ship any over here at all. I'm not sure but I don't think the TG-16 version was originally going to be sold in Japan. What we're seeing sold on Amazon JP right now might end up being the only units that get produced.
Uh yeah, this isn't really how it works, as just because Japan is selling "NA" units, doesn't mean they came from the US allotment. The fact that this is even a thought, shows how out of wack most ideals are in this current world crisis. I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but these units are not really important on the global scale right now. And if and when they ship, even less so, as places are using most resources to provide the planet with much needed PPE.

Normally an item like this is shipped by boat(months before release), and just by nature, that is of course much slower than air mail, and probably was scheduled to arrive for the world launch. These units probably shipped right before all hell broke loose, and is probably sitting on a ship some place, or in a container on the docks. Customs doesn't care to bother inspecting or releasing these units, as it's not vital to saving human life at the moment.

Of course these were ordered back when the world wasn't burning, so it's OK to be upset something you ordered isn't arriving when planned, but is this really whats important to anyone right now? If stuff I have coming doesn't arrive for years, so long as places are producing or shipping things for saving "life", than I'm OK with that. If anyone here is OK with 1 human life lost, so you can get a toy, then there's not much left to say.

I know most here don't want to discuss such topics(so apologies), as neither do I, as I would rather be going to the grocery store without wearing a condom over my whole body, but that's not reality anymore. The truth is nothing is happening right now, that is for the greater good, but once the TGE is needed more than toilet paper, I expect it to arrive straight away.

Yeah, I'm a patient guy on this.  This really isn't a priority for manufacturers or shipping right now.  Given it is a single retailer over here it shouldn't really take all that long anyways - it makes the logistics a bit easier.  Many people don't realize the time it takes for things to come over by boat and go through customs, they can't just ship them and have them by the weekend, it take months sometimes.  Even by air (which Nintendo did with some early Switch shipments) is a ton more expensive and you still have customs delays.  Personally I'm thinking maybe Juneish for them to go out here.

If anyone is really impatient, go with a Raspberry Pi.  It runs all the games flawlessly (and depending on how bad Lords of Thunder actually is on the mini, maybe better in some cases).  You can play them all in the meantime.  I collect the mini consoles because of aesthetics, but still have a couple Pis to fill in the gaps.  And given I'm fond of the aesthetics, that's why the lack of a second controller option to match is a bit annoying.  Not really mad, more of a "wtf?" sort of thing.  It would have been nice, but hey whatever.  It's a missed sale opportunity for them, I'm not going to spend $25 on a two button USB controller that doesn't match anyways.

With me, Amazon is pretty notorious for picking dates way out there then delivering early. I ordered a toy for my child in early April. Amazon said August delivery. It arrived mid April.

For those getting another controller, are you going with an official one or 8bitdo?

The 8bitdo is wireless, and I like the idea of the rounded edges. I don't really use turbo switches, so the 8bitdo for me. I have each of their controllers for my mini consoles and really like them (the Genesis pad especially).

The 8bitdo is wireless, and I like the idea of the rounded edges. I don't really use turbo switches, so the 8bitdo for me. I have each of their controllers for my mini consoles and really like them (the Genesis pad especially).
The Genesis pad will almost certainly work on the TG16 Mini. It's a pretty standard USB controller as I understand. If you have a favorite pad and don't care about it matching look, use one that fits you better. You probably aren't going to be using both consoles at the same times anyways.

The Genesis pad will almost certainly work on the TG16 Mini. It's a pretty standard USB controller as I understand. If you have a favorite pad and don't care about it matching look, use one that fits you better. You probably aren't going to be using both consoles at the same times anyways.
Then they need an update, because currently they do not.

Then they need an update, because currently they do not.
Weird, what I have read is the TG16 Mini controllers were pretty standard 2 button USB pads. I hope they haven't put in some silly security stuff to lock people into only the Hori options.

Maybe change the mode on the 8BitDo pads, I know you have to do that on some of their pads to get it to work on different things. I have an M30 and I know some of that needed to be done for some things, but mostly it was for wireless use.

I am about to order from Japan and cancel my original Amazon pre-order.

edit - looks like I can only order the PC Engine  and Core Grafx ones right now. Different games, right? Plus I have a nostalgia for the TG 16 design.

I went ahead and ordered the Core Grafx from Japan and will cancel the TG16 preorder. I'll order the 8bitdo TG16 controller.

Looking at the 8bitdo page, which shows all of the systems, I couldn't stomach the TG16 size--it's about twice as large as the PCE or CGE. That sealed it for me. I never had a TG16, so nostalgia is a bit limited.

If you have a credit card that doesn't charge exchange rates (Amazon Visa, for example), then order in Yen. You'll save about $4 because Amazon charges a premium on exchanging to USD.

I went ahead and ordered the Core Grafx from Japan and will cancel the TG16 preorder. I'll order the 8bitdo TG16 controller.

Looking at the 8bitdo page, which shows all of the systems, I couldn't stomach the TG16 size--it's about twice as large as the PCE or CGE. That sealed it for me. I never had a TG16, so nostalgia is a bit limited.
I owned both systems originally, as the PCE was one of the first systems I ever imported, and then I got the TG16 sometime later, just so I could get an affordable CD drive(importing the PCE CD was to damn high). For me, the TG16 was butt ugly from day one, and if I was ever going to buy one of these mini's, the US version would be the last one I would even consider. As I couldn't stand it originally, and over time, I probably hate it even more, as it was changed for no good reason, outside of someone who didn't have a clue, making the call.

The Super Famicom was another one of my first imports, and that was another example of taking something that wasn't broke and fixing it for the US market. At the end of the day, the PCE was one of the best designed consoles I've ever seen, while the TG16 was probably the worst, so that model was beyond an easy pass for me.

The Super Famicom was another one of my first imports, and that was another example of taking something that wasn't broke and fixing it for the US market. At the end of the day, the PCE was one of the best designed consoles I've ever seen, while the TG16 was probably the worst, so that model was beyond an easy pass for me.
My SNESmini is the EU version as well. Similar to TG16, I never owned a SNES (I was a Sega fanboy), so I have no nostalgic attachments to the purple color scheme. To me, both the controller and the system design schemes of the EU/Japan are far superior aesthetically.

My SNESmini is the EU version as well. Similar to TG16, I never owned a SNES (I was a Sega fanboy), so I have no nostalgic attachments to the purple color scheme. To me, both the controller and the system design schemes of the EU/Japan are far superior aesthetically.
tenor.gif

Took 4 days after placing my order to receive my TG-16 from Amazon Japan.  It's been forever since I've seen a yellow DHL truck.

Broke down and ordered the TG-16 last Thursday, pretty much for Salamander and the turbo buttons on the controller. Love the look of the PCE, though. I usually get my stuff from Amazon Japan in 3-4 days, but this time it will take them 8 days, as I am scheduled to get my stuff on Friday. Got a game on a second order right after I ordered the TG-16 (combined shipping would have been the same as ordering separately), and it is also going to take 8 days. Not a big deal. I just hope DHL doesn't deliver it to the wrong address like they have a couple other times I have ordered from Amazon Japan. Apparently some DHL drivers struggle with literacy.

Do you guys think this will be rare unlike the Genesis Mini? I was close to ordering one last night, but if it's likely to be discounted I'll probably hold off.

I obviously don't know production numbers, but the Genesis was far more popular than the TG-16 ever was and the Genesis mini was around forever even starting at a cheaper price than the TG-16 mini. I would think the TG-16 mini will stick around to be put on sales later on.

Only thing to conflict this idea is if COVID 19 actually affects the production of the TG-16 mini and they don't make as many as originally intended.

Broke down and ordered the TG-16 last Thursday, pretty much for Salamander and the turbo buttons on the controller. Love the look of the PCE, though. I usually get my stuff from Amazon Japan in 3-4 days, but this time it will take them 8 days, as I am scheduled to get my stuff on Friday. Got a game on a second order right after I ordered the TG-16 (combined shipping would have been the same as ordering separately), and it is also going to take 8 days. Not a big deal. I just hope DHL doesn't deliver it to the wrong address like they have a couple other times I have ordered from Amazon Japan. Apparently some DHL drivers struggle with literacy.
How tough is it to order through the japanese website? Can I use existing credit on the US one, or is it like signing up for an entirely different entity?

I am about to order from Japan and cancel my original Amazon pre-order.

edit - looks like I can only order the PC Engine and Core Grafx ones right now. Different games, right? Plus I have a nostalgia for the TG 16 design.
The Core and the TG16 have the same content, and Salamander (Life Force) is unique to those consoles. The PC Engine has two games (Tokimeki Memorial and Tengai Makyō II: Manji Maru) that are not on the Core/TG16, and the uncensored version of Splatterhouse.

How tough is it to order through the japanese website? Can I use existing credit on the US one, or is it like signing up for an entirely different entity?
It's easy, just change the language option to EN at the top of the page. Keep in mind that doesn't translate the product listings.

You will have to create an entirely separate account.

This is true, the SNES EU/JP definitely looks better, but it doesn't look like what I had back in the day. I still think nostalgia is part of the factor, and looks matter for that, even if it didn't look as good as other regions. Completely personal opinion though. I'm going with the TG16 instead of Core for this reason. It's bigger, clunkier but it is what I remember.

I obviously don't know production numbers, but the Genesis was far more popular than the TG-16 ever was and the Genesis mini was around forever even starting at a cheaper price than the TG-16 mini. I would think the TG-16 mini will stick around to be put on sales later on.

Only thing to conflict this idea is if COVID 19 actually affects the production of the TG-16 mini and they don't make as many as originally intended.
One factor to consider for this is this mini is retailer exclusive to Amazon (at least in the US). It isn't going to languish in high value retail space, and that is often what drives prices down. Retailers need to use space for merchandise that will move. Also with an exclusive, that retailer has incentive to keep prices up, they aren't competing on it and they need to recoup the premium they paid for keeping it exclusive. It also keep the volume down since it isn't spread across the country.

Also with an exclusive, that retailer has incentive to keep prices up, they aren't competing on it and they need to recoup the premium they paid for keeping it exclusive. It also keep the volume down since it isn't spread across the country.
IMO, this is retailer exclusive not because it was a paid exclusive, but because it wasn't popular enough a system to get Walmart, Target, and others in on it. Same for back in the day the only store that had the TG16 in my area was an hour away at a Toys R Us. Selling at one store and doing preorders should make it easier to determine production size so it's possible this won't be overproduced. So it's a win for the publisher that might have done a sony classic flop and it's a win for Amazon declaring it exclusive.

Seems weird to even be theorizing about price breaks for something made available for purchase a year ago that you still can't even get through normal channels.

There's no difference between the TG-16 Mini and the CoreGrafx Mini except form factor and controller color, correct?  It doesn't output at 50Hz or something dumb like that?

There's no difference between the TG-16 Mini and the CoreGrafx Mini except form factor and controller color, correct? It doesn't output at 50Hz or something dumb like that?
Correct. Exact same thing except for form factor and controller color.

TG 16 was ugly and not desirable. They’ve made it sexy and people want it. Give the marketing team raises.

I never thought it was ugly and I wanted one as a kid. I think the Genesis was the nicest looking console however.
It wasn't as ugly as many here would have you believe. But it also wasn't particularly attractive either. And if you took the plastic cover off of the back portion of it, it looked kind of awkward.

And as so many have said before, it does look a little long in the tooth compared to its Japanese counterpart, the PC Engine. The PC Engine is near legendary for being small, sleek, and compact. It's Hu-Card game storage format allowed it to have an insanely small footprint for the time, and its compact size made especially popular in its native Japan, where it did very well. The bloated size it got in the U.S. was due to U.S. manufacturers having some obsession with making video game systems seem larger and bulkier. It happened to several other systems around the same time.

I dont think the TG-16 is ugly. So many systems just are basically squares sometimes with smooth edges, etc. At least it was different. Most of you probably dont know what this is, but my first system takes the cake for ugliness - Intellivision.  The color was ugly and the controllers were the worst in history.

Intellivision-Console-Set.jpg

I dont think the TG-16 is ugly. So many systems just are basically squares sometimes with smooth edges, etc. At least it was different. Most of you probably dont know what this is, but my first system takes the cake for ugliness - Intellivision. The color was ugly and the controllers were the worst in history.

Intellivision-Console-Set.jpg
This was actually pretty stylish at the time it came out. It matched up with the 'wood grain' everything. In the end, yeah the controllers weren't great but the industry didn't have a standard to work from quite yet. Those side buttons did suck though. I just wish I still had all of my overlays.

TG 16 was ugly and not desirable. They’ve made it sexy and people want it. Give the marketing team raises.
My inner child is hurt by this comment. Now sure, once you add the CD drive setup the system was a monstrosity, but still a great little system that wasn't ugly (got mine as a gift in middle school, I hat a choice between a used TG-16 with turbo booster, turbo tap, 3 controllers and 3 games or an NES) with it's own classics that surprisingly demand an insane premium now (looked up some of the games I have and was shocked)

Would have loved a Valis game or 4 on this, but those rights were sold off to an adult game maker and will probably stay dead :(

This was actually pretty stylish at the time it came out. It matched up with the 'wood grain' everything. In the end, yeah the controllers weren't great but the industry didn't have a standard to work from quite yet. Those side buttons did suck though. I just wish I still had all of my overlays.
Yeah, I agree, this was pretty well styled to the times, and fit very well along other competitors of the era. It's all a personal preference for sure, but in the case of the PCE, they took was probably the coolest looking system in gaming up to that point, and took the "cool" away. So while I owned the TG16, I only bought it to get the CD rom drive cheap, as to import the PCE CD, was a promise of your first born to your selected retail location. LOL

I remember having my high school friends come over to play my TG16 because they all had the Genesis, which I did as well. I was trying to show off the graphics of Legendary Axe even though the gameplay was meh. LOL

Decided to preorder with the power adapter. Should be fun. I have HappyConsoleGamer to thank for getting me interested in some of these games (although I had played Ys previously). Didn't even hear of the system until probably early '00s.

Last edited:
So do I want the core or the pc engine? Can someone link directly to the one yall recommend since the US one is sold out on Japan Amazon? Thanks!

Edit: also - are the menus only Japanese?

So do I want the core or the pc engine? Can someone link directly to the one yall recommend since the US one is sold out on Japan Amazon? Thanks!

Edit: also - are the menus only Japanese?
They all have language options I believe, and you can set the UI to the region of choice as well. So the PCE can run it's UI like the TG16, and from what I've seen, these were probably the most thought out of any, even "N" mini's. They have a CD sound load screen to mimic booting up the CD drive, that is way cool. So these are almost by design for fans of different regions, or even the models for that matter.

EDIT: So no matter the model you buy, it can be enjoyed aesthetically as you remember it. So it really comes down to buying the one you think looks best, as how they function has options to be changed.

Awesome thanks much! I may hold out for a USA release but I guess I can take comfort in knowing I have options. Hopefully they keep stock for a week or two.

They all have language options I believe, and you can set the UI to the region of choice as well. So the PCE can run it's UI like the TG16, and from what I've seen, these were probably the most thought out of any, even "N" mini's. They have a CD sound load screen to mimic booting up the CD drive, that is way cool. So these are almost by design for fans of different regions, or even the models for that matter.

EDIT: So no matter the model you buy, it can be enjoyed aesthetically as you remember it. So it really comes down to buying the one you think looks best, as how they function has options to be changed.
Keep in mind there are minor game differences between the Core/TG and the PC Engine. Mainly the uncensored Splatterhouse isn't on the TG/Core and the arcade version of Salamander (Lifeforce) isn't on the PC Engine. Also the PC Engine has a couple of other obscure titles you likely won't care about.

Keep in mind there are minor game differences between the Core/TG and the PC Engine. Mainly the uncensored Splatterhouse isn't on the TG/Core and the arcade version of Salamander (Lifeforce) isn't on the PC Engine. Also the PC Engine has a couple of other obscure titles you likely won't care about.
Yeah, I figured most would know of those differences, as they had been discussed at lengths in this thread, but always good to pass such info along for those who missed it.

bread's done
Back