Turning on ONLY 360 controller

GrilledWitOnions

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hopefully right place for this thread.

I want to use a 360 wireless receiver with my HTPC, which is located a couple feet above my 360. And every time I try to turn on the controller, the 360 turns on, and it won't connect to the PC.

Microsoft's website says I can turn on only the controller by pressing start. This does nothing. Holding start does the same thing as the Guide button. If I manually turn off the console, the controller shuts off as well.

I have an Arcade unit, although I can't see what the difference would be.

Is there no way to turn on the controller but not the console?

the controller is synced to your console, you need to sync it to the receiver to stop it from turning on your console. of course if you only have 1 controller and are using it for both then it could be a problem. i'm pretty sure it sure start turns on my controller because i think i've done it on accident a few times. i can't remember if there was an option in the dashboard about being able to turn on the controller without turning on the console or not. might want to check. i know start turns on the controller when the console is running. like when the controller is idle for so long and shuts off automatically.

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']the controller is synced to your console, you need to sync it to the receiver to stop it from turning on your console. of course if you only have 1 controller and are using it for both then it could be a problem. i'm pretty sure it sure start turns on my controller because i think i've done it on accident a few times. i can't remember if there was an option in the dashboard about being able to turn on the controller without turning on the console or not. might want to check. i know start turns on the controller when the console is running. like when the controller is idle for so long and shuts off automatically.[/QUOTE]

This.

I have the Wireless receiver for my PC as well. All you have to do is sync it with the PC (its the exact same process) and your 360 won't turn on anymore.

theres no way you can really use one controller to use both the receiver and an xbox without having to keep syncing to each device every time. every time you turn on the controller its gonna be tied to either the xbox or your pc, not both. youre really gonna have to get a second controller or you're gonna have to deal with it.

Yah, I unplugged the console and tried then - had a bit of trouble still till I hit the sync button on the top of the controllers; it wouldn't sync any differently when the console was plugged in, since it would start up and then just get latched the controller, I guess. Thanks for all of the advice, I'll plug the 360 in later today and see how things are going. I don't mind resyncing each time to switch between things, I suppose, but getting behind the tower to unplug the console is kind of a pain.

[quote name='daphatty']Wouldn't it be easier to simply turn the 360 off using the power button if it's accidentally switched on?[/QUOTE]
That turned off the controller as well. Perhaps now that it's not synced to the 360 it won't do any of this stuff, but the next time I sync to 360, I'll have to unplug the console anyway.

bread's done
Back