Turtle Beach DSS Surround Sound Processor for $49.99 @ Amazon

[quote name='MochaRaf']Originally posted by JustinSaneV2, once again the Turtle Beach DSS Surround Sound Processor has decreased from $69.99($89.99 RRP) to $49.99. Hopefully we can even see a lightning deal today in the "Day 4: Accessories Day" page.

Still a great deal though:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003O0KICS/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20[/QUOTE]

I sure hope there is no lightening deal...only because I already bought 2 and after Resistance 3 dropping $8 in a 6 day span I cannot take another gut shot from Amazon. I love Amazon for a lot of things but I am not a fan of playing price roulette with them.

[quote name='MochaRaf']Originally posted by JustinSaneV2, once again the Turtle Beach DSS Surround Sound Processor has decreased from $69.99($89.99 RRP) to $49.99. Hopefully we can even see a lightning deal today in the "Day 4: Accessories Day" page.

Still a great deal though:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003O0KICS/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20[/QUOTE]

Good looking out
thumb.gif

Now I just need to find a good price on the X12s. Is the $47 that Amazon offers them for as good as it gets on these? Or do they go on sale every now and then? I see them for $60 everywhere else.

Does this come with an optical cable, or do I need to buy that as well? Also, if you use optical with it, does that mean I don't need the audio adapter for my 360 Slim?

[quote name='Dysheekie']Now I just need to find a good price on the X12s. Is the $47 that Amazon offers them for as good as it gets on these? Or do they go on sale every now and then? I see them for $60 everywhere else.[/QUOTE]

Weren't the X12s on sale for like $40 during black friday sales? just keep holding out if you can. I have a feeling these will see another price dip before years end since all the new headsets have been rolling out this month and last.

[quote name='crunchewy']Does this come with an optical cable, or do I need to buy that as well? Also, if you use optical with it, does that mean I don't need the audio adapter for my 360 Slim?[/QUOTE]

there should be an optical cable inside with it. i had my slim and old fat unit hooked up with these and both worked fine without any audio adapter.

[quote name='crunchewy']Does this come with an optical cable, or do I need to buy that as well? Also, if you use optical with it, does that mean I don't need the audio adapter for my 360 Slim?[/QUOTE]

It comes with an optical cable and you don't need the dongle. It has everything you need out the box minus the headset/headphones of your choice.

[quote name='UNDERSTAR']Any chance you guys think this might be on a lightning deal today? Been eyefucking these for days now, hahaha![/QUOTE]

If it is, I'm going to be pissed! :) I'm presuming that they are keeping the lighting deals and the daily deals as separate items, but I suppose it's possible.

[quote name='crunchewy']If it is, I'm going to be pissed! :) I'm presuming that they are keeping the lighting deals and the daily deals as separate items, but I suppose it's possible.[/QUOTE]

True, deep down inside I am really hoping for the X41 to show up as a lightning deal!

Anyone have the X11's? Mine always has that dull hiss (like when you turn your speakers up really loud and no sound is coming out) and want to know if anyone else has experience this and if this item will help clean up the sound.

[quote name='kryptonic']Anyone have the X11's? Mine always has that dull hiss (like when you turn your speakers up really loud and no sound is coming out) and want to know if anyone else has experience this and if this item will help clean up the sound.[/QUOTE]

I have X11s. I don't know if this thing will clean up the hiss. I do know that hiss is there when there is no other sound coming through. For example, if you have your console turned on, but are not playing a game, listening to music, or watching a video. If everything else is silent, then you can hear the hiss. It shouldn't be annoyingly loud though, unless you have your volume turned way up. It never bothered me.

[quote name='kryptonic']Anyone have the X11's? Mine always has that dull hiss (like when you turn your speakers up really loud and no sound is coming out) and want to know if anyone else has experience this and if this item will help clean up the sound.[/QUOTE]

If you are plugging into your TV's headphone jack (or otherwise have an audio out from the TV that you can control the volume of with the TVs volume controls), you will get hiss if you don't crank the volume all the way up (or nearly) on the TV itself, and then control the volume with the controls on the headset instead. That's because the TV volume going to the headphones is too low and then you are boosting it way up, along with hiss, via the headphone's volume controls.

One way around the need to crank the volume up is to take the audio directly from the xbox, either via the audio breakout cable, or via the DSS unit.

[quote name='salemhooper']Can't convince myself to buy it. I feel like my x11's already do the job. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

The X11 has only stereo sound, not "virtual surround sound" like what the DDS will provide it. But, for me, I plan to buy another head set to replace my Turtle Beach P11, so I'm not sure how feasible the DDS will be in the long run. I just might pull the trigger on it later today though. I still have to make up my mind.

Awesome Thanks for the post! This will go great with the x12 i got on the lighting deal.
side note: anyone got one of these? with a headset and can compare and contrast between actual stereo surround sound system and the headset itself?

^

I just got mine today. I'll test the gizmo out and let you know my impressions.

So far, going with reviews and word of mouth, I don't think I'll be disappointed. :D

It comes with one but you might want to buy your own as it's not of very high quality.

[quote name='LD_Helix']Awesome Thanks for the post! This will go great with the x12 i got on the lighting deal.
side note: anyone got one of these? with a headset and can compare and contrast between actual stereo surround sound system and the headset itself?[/QUOTE]

The DSS allows you to hear and distinguish what direction the sound is coming from. The X12s do not do this on their own. They provide you with some pretty good sound and pretty good base. Either way you'll be happy with them both.

P.S. for folks who play the rocksmith game this is a must in combination with Sony MDR-V6. Fantastic sound.

So I am in the process of buying a turtle beach headset, used to own a razr and sony but I believe it is definitely time to try out something new.

I am currently between the X41, And the two lightning deal MW3 headsets. I know the lightning deals are cheaper versions of other models that were priced up, but with the lightning deal its only a few buck difference so I dont mind that much. I prefer to get a wireless headset, but I just dont know if I should take the X41 over the MW3 Bravo. The biggest con with the Bravo is the fact that I would need to purchase the DSS.

Has anyone used either of the three products?

Do you use a wired controller?

My DSS came in the mail but im having trouble hooking it up to my ps3. Anybody who uses this with their ps3 what setup do you use?

I've used the DSS for a few games now, so for anyone who's interested here are my thoughts:

The first thing I noticed when I plugged in my DSS was that the sound coming through the headphones was much more clearer and crisper. The bass was also noticeably punchier and just plain awesome. :applause: And the bass dial on the DSS wasn't even close to its max!

Also, even though the volume was loud, my ears did not feel any strain or pain. Under normal circumstances (stereo sound), this volume level would have been unbearable. I guess this is a byproduct of the surround sound effect. It is as if the sounds are emanating from around your head instead of coming from inside your head.

In RDR, when I was riding my horse around in the wilderness and heard a gunshot in the distance, I could pinpoint the sound's direction and distance accurately. And oh boy, all the ambient noises such as my legs brushing past a bush, a dust ball rolling down a hill, and the creaks of a carriage while it rolled across a rail track could be distinctively heard. I guess the DSS "expands" all the sounds and puts more weight in them. For example, the thunder sounded very bassy and I could it seemed as if everything around me vibrated. Without the DSS, the thunder would have sounded static and somewhat flat in my headphones. Same with all the gunshot sounds.

And yes, when someone fires a gun at you, it does feel as if a bullet just whizzed past your head!

^^^ I absolutely love your description of the changes but at the same time hate it. Just bought the x12s and I just can't wrap my head around spending almost 100 on headphones. Then again I make nothing so that doesn't help lol. Hmm

[quote name='LiteOnMe']My DSS came in the mail but im having trouble hooking it up to my ps3. Anybody who uses this with their ps3 what setup do you use?[/QUOTE]

Hook up the optical cable from DSS to PS3. Plug in USB cable, turn on device. Attach your favorite set of headphones/headset and enjoy. You might need to manually select digital audio/optical cable on your PS3.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']I decided to get in on this. What's a good headset to use with it? I need a PS3 compatible one. Any good headset deals going on?[/QUOTE]

The Turtle Beach PS3 Ear Force PX21 would probably be a good compatible headset for using with the Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS 7.1. Otherwise, you can just use a high quality set of stereo headphones when you're not using the headset for chat.

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Force-PX2...0DPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322903763&sr=8-1

Sorry for dragging up this old post. I got these on this sale. I have everything hooked up and all the proper lights are on. I do definetly notice a change when I hit dolby bypass. I just dont get any positional awarness. Nothing sounds in front of or behind me. I could kind if here behind me if I concentrated in some games but thats about it.

Anyone else have this problem?

Was thinking about just sending it back. Then just wait for the ax 720 to go on sale again. They seem like a better deal anyways. Wish I knew more about them before I bought this.

bread's done
Back