Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS2 Dolby Surround Sound Processor $49.99 at Amazon w FS

foreinter

CAGiversary!
Just saw this on Amazon and did a quick search and didn't find it posted. Sorry it it's a repost

Amazon is selling Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS2 Dolby Surround Sound Processor for only $49.99. This is a cheap solution for people who want to experience the surround sound headphone and who just bought the X12 and P11 from Bestbuy. You can also use almost any other headphone to hook up this processor to get the surround sound.

LINK

I've seen reviews saying the DSS1 (original) has better sound processing than the newer DSS2. I have mine hooked up since last week but just been too busy to try it out.

yes, the DSS is better. but that doesn't necessarily mean the DSS2 is bad. if it doesn't work for you with any of the settings, return it. It's Amazon.

as for 5.1, the manual says, "The DSS2 processes the Dolby signal from the digital optical output on your Xbox 360, PS3, PC or other audio source and uses Dolby Digital technology to virtualize 5.1 channels of surround sound on stereo headphones".

Yes, the 7.1 headphones and 7.1 virtualization is possibly better but not necessarily because 7.1 is better but because usually manufacturers combine the 7.1 tech with higher quality headphones. besides, the Xbox doesn't support 7.1 in hardware.

just like how if you want the top notch TV, you get one with 3D versus one without. not because 3D makes the TV better, but they tend to package 3D with their higher level TVs. to make the 3D perform better, they put better panels, faster processors, etc.

Does the DSS2 have any background hiss? The DSS I bought last year had this loud hissing noise, so I returned it to Amazon.

Had my dss1 since last year well worth the $50. I have been looking at the dss2 but I don't think it's worth $50 because of the 4.1 I would by the dss2 at maybe 20-30

i will give this a try for $50 i just got a Ear Force Foxtrot (PX21) for $30 a few days ago and this supposedly work's well with them.

wow...goin to pick up my x12's at best buy in the next hr. wish i had the extra money to get these cause that was my plan eventually. the dx12's (x12+dss2) cost $130 so with the deal that the x12's are now plus w/ this deal you can save some nice dough...!

[quote name='Peanut932']Does the DSS2 have any background hiss? The DSS I bought last year had this loud hissing noise, so I returned it to Amazon.[/QUOTE]

This is the million dollar question...

[quote name='Peanut932']Does the DSS2 have any background hiss? The DSS I bought last year had this loud hissing noise, so I returned it to Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I have the DSS2 and I don't have any issues with background hiss. I bought mine when the DSS2 was first released on the Turtle beach website for 80 bucks I believe. It's paired with my PX21's. I played with the "Surround sound" turning it on and off while playing Battlefield 3 and its not a significant difference. Only some instances where I played online that I was able to get the feel of the "Surround sound" from hearing a noise coming from a certain direction that wasn't either the front or the back. But that's just from my experience.

[quote name='NoodleN1nja']I have the DSS2 and I don't have any issues with background hiss. I bought mine when the DSS2 was first released on the Turtle beach website for 80 bucks I believe. It's paired with my PX21's. I played with the "Surround sound" turning it on and off while playing Battlefield 3 and its not a significant difference. Only some instances where I played online that I was able to get the feel of the "Surround sound" from hearing a noise coming from a certain direction that wasn't either the front or the back. But that's just from my experience.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I heard similar from a friend who bought a DSS recently too, that there was no significant distance. I think I'll keep my money right now, thanks for your little tidbit of information.

I'm in. There is a massive discussion on headfi regarding surround gaming and this seems to get praise. Obviously, the better the headphones, the better the result.

alright, I got in the DSS2 today and after a brief trial (maybe an hour in Halo Reach), I'm loving it with my X12's. I'm going to put up an Amazon review after I play with them for a days in some games but I'm excited! If Halo Reach is any indication, then I'm going to love these in other games.

the package a fairly crappy toslink cable with their stuff. Ive had a lot of hissing issues resolved (in multiple devices) by using a quality cable.

[quote name='paz9x']the package a fairly crappy toslink cable with their stuff. Ive had a lot of hissing issues resolved (in multiple devices) by using a quality cable.[/QUOTE]

The cable isn't great but the quality of the power source might be the most important factor in hissing. I plugged mine into a USB AC plug with an 1 amp of power and it is clear as can be. I'm very impressed with the DSS2 after using it with my HD555s.

OMG! I played Left 4 Dead 2 tonight with my new DSS2/X12 combination and wow!!!! I could tell where the boomers, spitters, etc. were coming from! what a world of difference.

I thought the audio was good in Halo Reach but you can almost pinpoint the location of the baddies in L4D2!!!!

this has got to be one of the best gaming purchases I have ever made. I thought the X12's were pretty great as-is but positional audio makes such a difference!

I just wish there were LEDs to tell me which preset I'm using. at least for the surround sound angles. it's not that necessary on the equalizer presets as they're pretty easy to tell from each other.

Anyone having a problem getting the Dolby Digital LED (2nd one from the left) to illuminate regularly when the xbox 360 boots? I find the problem is solved if I turn off the unit and turn it back on, or if i unplug and re-plug the optical cable, but something seems amiss.

Dirtyvu...when you press the EQ button or the positional button, count how many lights illuminate in succession. Then look in the manual and it will tell you which preset that number represents.

I have had the same problem with my DSS2, sometimes the Surround Sound light does not turn on if you turn the unit on before the xbox. I lately have been turning it on after my xbox boots to the dashboard and the surround light will turn on then. It will be annoying too if you don't notice it at first because people talking in party chat won't be heard over it until that light is on.

[quote name='kellte2']Anyone having a problem getting the Dolby Digital LED (2nd one from the left) to illuminate regularly when the xbox 360 boots? I find the problem is solved if I turn off the unit and turn it back on, or if i unplug and re-plug the optical cable, but something seems amiss.

Dirtyvu...when you press the EQ button or the positional button, count how many lights illuminate in succession. Then look in the manual and it will tell you which preset that number represents.[/QUOTE]

OMG! thanks for the tip! now my one major grip against the DSS2 is gone.

so it's a little confusing. you press the button, the lights cycle a bit which indicates the preset that was newly switched to?

so the only way to know what preset I'm currently on is to cycle through all the presets to get back to the preset I'm on?

[quote name='weewoo']I have had the same problem with my DSS2, sometimes the Surround Sound light does not turn on if you turn the unit on before the xbox. I lately have been turning it on after my xbox boots to the dashboard and the surround light will turn on then. It will be annoying too if you don't notice it at first because people talking in party chat won't be heard over it until that light is on.[/QUOTE]

Turtle Beach recommended that I get a replacement through Amazon, which I have already done. I will report back if the behavior has changed, but as you said, there are ways to finagle the DSS2 into making the Dolby connection - a bit annoying, but not a deal breaker by any means.

[quote name='dirtyvu']OMG! thanks for the tip! now my one major grip against the DSS2 is gone.

so it's a little confusing. you press the button, the lights cycle a bit which indicates the preset that was newly switched to?

so the only way to know what preset I'm currently on is to cycle through all the presets to get back to the preset I'm on?[/QUOTE]

Answering your questions in order.

Yes.

Yes.

The positive is that the unit saves your last setting regardless of whether it was powered off.

[quote name='dirtyvu']OMG! thanks for the tip! now my one major grip against the DSS2 is gone.

so the only way to know what preset I'm currently on is to cycle through all the presets to get back to the preset I'm on?[/QUOTE]

Answering your questions in order.

Yes.

Yes.

The positive is that the unit saves your last setting regardless of whether it was powered off.

bread's done
Back