Turtle Beach Ear Force X4 $139.99 at Best Buy

jjjbadboy32

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just picked up a set of these at Best Buy. They are on sale for 139.99. I don't see them listed on the website anymore. I called and had an employee tell me which stores had them available. The SKU is 8910618.

just got these from the amazon 50% off thing. pretty awesome set, but like people mentioned, there is a slight hissing noise that some may find annoying. you cannot hear the hissing during gameplay, and if you use it for regular TV use the hissing goes away.

Yeah, I picked these up Sunday when I first saw them...finally found something good to use my $45 worth of Reward Zone Certificates. No more turning down the volume late at night.

How do these connect to the 360? I've been trying to get headphones to work on my cheap Westinghouse for a while now, but can't get them working while using HDMI. Component I can. My tv doesn't have a headphone jack either.

Do these plug directly into the 360?

[quote name='Kelegacy']How do these connect to the 360? I've been trying to get headphones to work on my cheap Westinghouse for a while now, but can't get them working while using HDMI. Component I can. My tv doesn't have a headphone jack either.

Do these plug directly into the 360?[/QUOTE]

If you are using the component cables with your 360 , the transmitter plugs into the digital optical port. I am not sure how they connect to 360 if you are using hdmi.

The transmitter also plugs directly into the PS3's digital optical output as well as most DVD players.

[quote name='jjjbadboy32']If you are using the component cables with your 360 , the transmitter plugs into the digital optical port. I am not sure how they connect to 360 if you are using hdmi.

The transmitter also plugs directly into the PS3's digital optical output as well as most DVD players.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the issue. I got them working with component, but I'm using HDMI. There is an audio port on my tv next to the HDMI plugin, but no dice. Audio still comes out of the tv and not the headphones.

Oh well. i moved into a new home recently and have my own "office" for gaming, but my girlfriend can still hear me from the living room sometimes so I STILL can't crank it.

[quote name='Kelegacy']How do these connect to the 360? I've been trying to get headphones to work on my cheap Westinghouse for a while now, but can't get them working while using HDMI. Component I can. My tv doesn't have a headphone jack either.

Do these plug directly into the 360?[/QUOTE]

It sounds like your having the same problems I ran into setting up my reciver + 5.1 speakers with my 360 this weekend, which wern't working with HDMI, but worked fine with component. It turned out that my reciever can't take the audio from the HDMI channel (and I'm guessing these headphones can't either), so I needed to have either the components two audio cables, or a digital optical audio cable (the jack is on the back of the component plug) hooked up to the receiver in addition to the HDMI to get sound. This should work for your issues as well as, long as the headphones have an RCA audio or a digial optical audio jack in the back.

The poblem you run into doing it this way is that you can't fit both the HDMI cable and the component cable into the 360 at the same time (the jacks are too close together on the back of the 360). Microsofts solution is to have you buy a $50 HDMI cable with the digial audio jack attached to it. To save money tho, I went with a work around and simply broke the plactic off the outside of the component jack so that both cables can be plugged in at the same time (now I've got HDMI and digial optical sound with my 360 :) ). Here's a link explaining the work around if you don't want to spring for the $50 cables, hope this helps.

http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

[quote name='jjjbadboy32']If you are using the component cables with your 360 , the transmitter plugs into the digital optical port. I am not sure how they connect to 360 if you are using hdmi.

The transmitter also plugs directly into the PS3's digital optical output as well as most DVD players.[/QUOTE]

This works with a PS3 too? That makes it a little more appealing. If I actually had a use for my PS3 that would be nice as well.

[quote name='VipFREAK']This works with a PS3 too? That makes it a little more appealing. If I actually had a use for my PS3 that would be nice as well.[/QUOTE]

It's great for late-night Blu Ray watching.

[quote name='VipFREAK']This works with a PS3 too? That makes it a little more appealing. If I actually had a use for my PS3 that would be nice as well.[/QUOTE]

The headphones will work with any device that has an optical (or RCA) output. However the mic will only work for the 360. I tried out the X4's and I'm definitely going to pick them up. I wonder if the price drop is because we're going to see an X5 soon (maybe with HMDI inputs).

[quote name='ikaden']T I wonder if the price drop is because we're going to see an X5 soon (maybe with HMDI inputs).[/QUOTE]

That's what I am thinking too.

[quote name='ikaden']The headphones will work with any device that has an optical (or RCA) output. However the mic will only work for the 360. I tried out the X4's and I'm definitely going to pick them up. I wonder if the price drop is because we're going to see an X5 soon (maybe with HMDI inputs).[/QUOTE]

I'm just waiting for my last batch of Amazon trade in credit ($60+$30) to come through, then I was going to jump on these. But this was the exact same thing I was wondering. The X3s came out in Aug 07 and the X4s in July 08, so I'm wondering if X5s are coming soon. I only have a month left to use my Amazon 50% coupon, so if they are, I hope it's ASAP.

I don't think these support DTS, so that something they could add as well.

[quote name='Cynic04']It sounds like your having the same problems I ran into setting up my reciver + 5.1 speakers with my 360 this weekend, which wern't working with HDMI, but worked fine with component. It turned out that my reciever can't take the audio from the HDMI channel (and I'm guessing these headphones can't either), so I needed to have either the components two audio cables, or a digital optical audio cable (the jack is on the back of the component plug) hooked up to the receiver in addition to the HDMI to get sound. This should work for your issues as well as, long as the headphones have an RCA audio or a digial optical audio jack in the back.

The poblem you run into doing it this way is that you can't fit both the HDMI cable and the component cable into the 360 at the same time (the jacks are too close together on the back of the 360). Microsofts solution is to have you buy a $50 HDMI cable with the digial audio jack attached to it. To save money tho, I went with a work around and simply broke the plactic off the outside of the component jack so that both cables can be plugged in at the same time (now I've got HDMI and digial optical sound with my 360 :) ). Here's a link explaining the work around if you don't want to spring for the $50 cables, hope this helps.

http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50[/QUOTE]

thanks for that link... I too hook up my box via HDMI and was wondering how to get around this... I'ma try it right now... hope i dont break anything...

If your console sound is set up through an audio receiver, there is a good chance that your receiver has an optical output, that is not effected at all by the receivers volume control/equilizer settings.
Just as a heads up, if you use these for your blu ray movies, these can NOT handle any DTS signals. Some of the newer blu rays only have DTS master audio output.

I haven't encountered any hissing but it may be because I sit with the receiver directly positioned 4-5 feet from the headphones, and I haven't tried chat on them yet. Someone had posted the hissing is from not having the receiver getting a good enough signal (close enough/line of sight). But it could be from using the mic or from using the 5.1. It's probably a combination of a few things, I'm guessing it's mostly the mic.

I'm the opposite, I find no use for my 360 since picking up a PS3.

Please share what you use the PS3 for. I pretty much use mine only for Pandora.com and Blurays once in a while. Turning it on feels like a chore most of the time.

I also play my PS3 more than my 360. I enjoy LBP, HSG, and MGO quite a bit.

I also like the controller better for Blazblue (I don't play enough to warrant buying a stick) and Fight Night Round 4.

It is also convenient to just plug in my external hard drive full of movies and just watch them through the PS3.

[quote name='fake larry']Please share what you use the PS3 for. I pretty much use mine only for Pandora.com and Blurays once in a while. Turning it on feels like a chore most of the time.[/QUOTE]
Playing multiplatform games and PS3 and PSN exclusives, most recently Uncharted & Wipeout HD. A little PS1 gaming, Vagrant Story. Also use the web browser a lot, used to enjoy Hulu on that as well. Watched E3 on PS3. Download PSP content on it as I find that more convenient than using a PC. Use it for music and movies too. Basically use it for what it was designed to be used for. I just prefer everything I can utilize it for slightly more than what 360 offers in each category.

there IS a hissing problem. Once you start playing/watching it disappears and becomes white noise. But it is there, and I have my mic off. If you are interested I would say go for these headphones.

I did alot of research, just for fun, since I knew I was going to get these with the 50% amazon coupon, no other options. But from my research people who actually knew anything about audio said you are better off going for stereo headphones with an amp...however, I am not an audiophile and these bad boys sound great to me since I cant tell any difference.

I have found that even when I watch Blu Rays, I can easily get rid of the hiss by dropping the volume a bit. But I never have to drop the volume to where it's quiet.
I sit about 12 feet from the receiver.

Just picked these up from my local best buy yesterday. Work great with my 360 and for watching TV as well. My wife thinks they are brilliant. I ordered an optical switch from monoprice so I can use them with my PS3 as well.

I've still not encountered any bad hissing, though I know it's definitely there for others based on what I've read the past few weeks on multiple sites. Will test again tonight with different seating arrangements and volume levels.

[quote name='Nibi']Just picked these up from my local best buy yesterday. Work great with my 360 and for watching TV as well. My wife thinks they are brilliant. I ordered an optical switch from monoprice so I can use them with my PS3 as well.[/QUOTE]

I bought that switch last year and it's a piece of crap. When I hooked everything up to it, every few seconds I would hear a "POP" sound from my speakers and the sound would drop in and out. I threw the thing out.

[quote name='KongaKing']I bought that switch last year and it's a piece of crap. When I hooked everything up to it, every few seconds I would hear a "POP" sound from my speakers and the sound would drop in and out. I threw the thing out.[/QUOTE]

Yikes. I will try it out and hope for the best. Thanks for the heads-up.

Finally found one at a best buy last night in mission viejo ca. I'd been looking for deals on these for 6 months. I used reward zone coupons and gift cards and walked out of there with these and the brothers in arms collectors edition for $50. I tried them briefly last night and thought they sounded great.

Just want to report that the X4 headset is totally awesome. Keep in mind that the static fuzz that some have reported is only present when you have the voice-chat mini-plug inserted into the headphones.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Does the mic and speakers work for gaming?[/QUOTE]

I use an optical switch to connect both my 360 and PS3 to my X4's. The mic works for 360 chat but for the PS3 I just use my Official Sony headset connected via USB in speaker-phone mode which picks up my voice and other players voices get transmitted through the headset.

Keep in mind that with the last PS3 firmware update they made it so that you can only have Dolby Digital 5.1 on with either HDMI or Optical but not both at the same time like before the update. Really sucks because I have to manually switch it every time I switch between playing games and watching blurays with the family.

Does anyone know how these compare to the TRITTON AX360's? I have the TRITTON's but these seem to have features that eliminate the annoying stuff about the ax360 heeadphones.

[quote name='Cornbreadxd']Does anyone know how these compare to the TRITTON AX360's? I have the TRITTON's but these seem to have features that eliminate the annoying stuff about the ax360 heeadphones.[/QUOTE]
What annoying things do you mean? I have the ax360 also and considering these.

[quote name='2&2']I'm just waiting for my last batch of Amazon trade in credit ($60+$30) to come through, then I was going to jump on these. But this was the exact same thing I was wondering. The X3s came out in Aug 07 and the X4s in July 08, so I'm wondering if X5s are coming soon. I only have a month left to use my Amazon 50% coupon, so if they are, I hope it's ASAP.

I don't think these support DTS, so that something they could add as well.[/QUOTE]

I don't know when they added this to their website but it appears they are doing an update and calling it the X41. Appears to be coming out at the end of this month and looking over the info sheet, appears to take care of some of the issues mentioned with the X4.

I was seriously considering the X4 since I saw it at my local BB on clearance but I now may just wait and spring for the X41.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx41/home.aspx

[quote name='robbrism']I don't know when they added this to their website but it appears they are doing an update and calling it the X41. Appears to be coming out at the end of this month and looking over the info sheet, appears to take care of some of the issues mentioned with the X4.

I was seriously considering the X4 since I saw it at my local BB on clearance but I now may just wait and spring for the X41.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx41/home.aspx[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thanks. I just saw this too. They're listed as coming out next week on Amazon. I'm glad I waited to use my 50% coupon. I just waiting a little longer until some related items show up on the product page in the hopes I can get them to show up in my gold box for a little extra off.

bread's done
Back