TV as a computer monitor

b52

CAG Veteran
This is something that I have been thinking of doing. I would like to know what the computer-tech-savvy CAG'ers think of it. And if by any chance, if someone knows the most cost-effective, yet, simpliest way of performing this, please post.

BTW, my rig has a 7-pin S-video outlet to a 4-pin outlet on my TV.

Im sorry, I cant help you...but I have been meaning to ask if one can make a Computer Monitor function as a TV...on a related note :D

Yeah, I understand that there is gonna be a difference, but I would like the option of using both, switching back and forth.

To use your TV as a monitor:

As long as your graphics card has s-video out an your tv has s-video in then you are set. Just get an s-video cable and you are good to go.

To use your monitor as a tv:
You will either need a internal or external TV tuner.

well if your gonna play games on it, its ok if you don't mind washy texture colors..also text is going to be a pain to read on the tv screen.

Thanks for the info. I don't want to sound all needy, but I would love to know where I can purchase a 7-pin to 4-pin S-video cord. I have been to all the usual suspects (Best Buy, Radio Shack, CC, etc) and none of them carry such a cord. And most of the times, they don't even know what I am asking them.

I believe you can just plug a regular 4-pin S-Video cable to your TV out on the video card and the other end to the TV. My Dell laptop also has a 7-pin video out port but it works fine using a regular 4-pin s-video cable as TV out. I believe the extra pins means it can also accommodate the component cable adapter as well.

bread's done
Back