TV as a monitor question

sublime90

CAGiversary!
hey CAgs i have a situation on my hands. my Samsung 19" widescreen monitor decided to stop working and im wondering if i should get it repaired or use my Samsung 32" HDTV as my new monitor. ive never done this before but i was looking around the net and a few people have mentioned its not good for the TV for constant use (ex daily internet surfing) which is what i do, and was only recommended for movies and games. is this true? id like to hook the PC to my TV but not if its going to mess it up. maybe someone out there actually has a set up like this and can offer some advice.

I don't personally have a tradition TV set. I use a projector for co-op gaming, streaming TV shows and movies. I have hooked up many many many friends with connecting their PC with their TV sets - HDTVs and others. I've never head of a problem outside of 1 rare exception. The is a model of Sharp that overheats after 12 hours of being on and was not good to have your PC connected to it while in sleep mode. Outside that it's all gravy.

Doesn't really matter really.

Though some TV's just suck for monitors. My friend tried hooking his laptop up to both his TVs, one it worked fine on the other it just looked like shit. Things wont look as crisp on a TV either due to their size and their resolution being 1080p. Response time can blow ass as well.

I'd really suggest getting another monitor, TV's work fine for an HTPC as they are mostly movie/game oriented with light web surfing.

[quote name='sublime90']hey CAgs i have a situation on my hands. my Samsung 19" widescreen monitor decided to stop working and im wondering if i should get it repaired or use my Samsung 32" HDTV as my new monitor. ive never done this before but i was looking around the net and a few people have mentioned its not good for the TV for constant use (ex daily internet surfing) which is what i do, and was only recommended for movies and games. is this true? id like to hook the PC to my TV but not if its going to mess it up. maybe someone out there actually has a set up like this and can offer some advice.[/QUOTE]

I am using a super cheap 37" Magnovox HDTV as my monitor and I use it for Blurays/Cheapassgamer/ and just normal computer use .

Hope that helped

If you have an LCD or DLP TV it should be fine. I wouldnt do it on a plasma though. I know that newer ones are much better with burn-in, but I still wouldnt chance surfing the net on one of them. TV's that don't run at 1920x1080 though kind of suck for PC usage since 1280x720 is a pretty low resolution for such a large screen.

bread's done
Back