TV for a 360, I need adive please

kirk_screamcopy.jpg

OP I just bought this tv yesterday for this price and currently hve my 360 hooked up to it. I love it. For the price I think that it's a great deal. The games look great on this set. I suggest you snag one.

Now do I say not to buy the Olevia and put up with the inevitable "ZOMG CHACRANA YOUR SO BIASED" bullshit, or do I just let you buy a TV that's not that good....

eh, fuck it.

Hate to freak people out with the Plasma idea, but my Wal-Mart (in Hendersonville, TN) had over a dozen tvs on clearance this past week. I bought two (a 50" Hitachi Plasma for $1000.00 and a 42" Hitachi Plasma for $600.00). I am not sure if this is YMMV or nationwide, but they were 50-70% off their price so I think it's a good deal. They are all 720P though. BTW, I bought them to sell. but I am finding it's a pain to sell tvs so I am taking them both back. :cry:

olevia doesnt have the greatest reviews, but if you're strapped for cash, it's a good deal. btw 720p isperfectly fine because most games right now only support 720p anyways. don't worry about it.

[quote name='Relentless355']People are scared of Plasmas? :whistle2:?[/quote]

i'm not sure why, i play on a 50" panasonic plasma and it works just fine and games look gorgeous on it.

[quote name='LiK']olevia doesnt have the greatest reviews, but if you're strapped for cash, it's a good deal. btw 720p isperfectly fine because most games right now only support 720p anyways. don't worry about it.[/quote]

Not to mention, when all channels go digital in a couple of years, they're all going to be broadcast in 720p.

[quote name='Chacrana']Now do I say not to buy the Olevia and put up with the inevitable "ZOMG CHACRANA YOUR SO BIASED" bullshit, or do I just let you buy a TV that's not that good....

eh, fuck it.[/quote]

Getting funny entertaining though. Unfortunately, I'm also too picky/standards too high to get one of these either.

you get what you pay for.....its a good price but for me its not big enough....the contrast ratio is WAY too low and i couldnt find it's refresh rate anywhere....don't be surprised if you notice a little bit of ghosting here and there.....

and yes people are still scared of plasmas AND LCD's .....both can still get burn in (although not permanent, still something i dont want to put up with)...LCD's can get stuck pixels and plasmas are still really overpriced escpecially with OLED tv's right around the corner......

also.....im pretty sure everything will be broadcast in 1080i (considering thats how they are broadcast now on everything i get in hd)...not 720p once the FCC mandates all broadcasts be digital....

[quote name='Malik112099']you get what you pay for.....its a good price but for me its not big enough....the contrast ratio is WAY too low and i couldnt find it's refresh rate anywhere....don't be surprised if you notice a little bit of ghosting here and there.....

and yes people are still scared of plasmas AND LCD's .....both can still get burn in (although not permanent, still something i dont want to put up with)...LCD's can get stuck pixels and plasmas are still really overpriced escpecially with OLED tv's right around the corner......

also.....im pretty sure everything will be broadcast in 1080i (considering thats how they are broadcast now on everything i get in hd)...not 720p once the FCC mandates all broadcasts be digital....[/QUOTE]

Digital broadcasts do not have to be 720p or 1080i, those are HD specs. Just because it is a digital signal does not mean the resolution has to be increased. HD is broadcast in digital, but digital does not have to be HD.

And why is Digital better to companies that deal with tv and entertainment?? Yep... that's right, more control and ways to suck more money out of the consumer. Gotta love it. :roll:

[quote name='Malik112099']

also.....im pretty sure everything will be broadcast in 1080i (considering thats how they are broadcast now on everything i get in hd)...not 720p once the FCC mandates all broadcasts be digital....[/QUOTE]

Two of the big four already use 720p and neither have plans to do 1080i in 2009. And there's no reason to as either one can be digital and they've already commited lots of money and equipment to a 720p broadcast. The 2009 mandate will not have any effect on who broadcasts at what resolution. And seeing as how this TV does both 720p/1080i I don't see this as an issue.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Two of the big four already use 720p and neither have plans to do 1080i in 2009. And there's no reason to as either one can be digital and they've already commited lots of money and equipment to a 720p broadcast. The 2009 mandate will not have any effect on who broadcasts at what resolution. And seeing as how this TV does both 720p/1080i I don't see this as an issue.[/quote]

hmm...yeah..it doesnt really apply in this case.....i have the voom network and its all in 1080i .... that really doesnt matter cause it isnt broadcast like regular tv over the air

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Two of the big four already use 720p and neither have plans to do 1080i in 2009. And there's no reason to as either one can be digital and they've already commited lots of money and equipment to a 720p broadcast. The 2009 mandate will not have any effect on who broadcasts at what resolution. And seeing as how this TV does both 720p/1080i I don't see this as an issue.[/quote]

2009? The HD mandate will get pushed back again. I don't see it happening in the next few years. I'd hope it will, but I have no faith in the FCC and I'm sure that they will cave.

TBW

Pretty much the way I see Olevia TVs is that people getting their first HDTV will love it, and be very happy with their purchase. People who have gotten used to higher quality TVs attempt to persuade all the new buyers to get a better brand, or tell people that have Olevias that they got screwed. The way I see it, though, is that unless you're a videophile or used to something better, you'll definitely enjoy an Olevia, and that's what matters.

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']2009? The HD mandate will get pushed back again. I don't see it happening in the next few years. I'd hope it will, but I have no faith in the FCC and I'm sure that they will cave.

TBW[/quote]

it has already been signed into law....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television#Analogue_switch-off

In the United States, all U.S. television broadcasts will be exclusively digital as of February 17, 2009, by order of the Federal Communications Commission. This deadline was signed into law in early 2006.

For the record, I use the 360 on this tv with the VGA cables and it looks great. If you have never had an HD tv and your main use will be for your 360, I don't think you can go wrong. Are there better televisions? Yes. But not better for this price range.

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']2009? The HD mandate will get pushed back again. I don't see it happening in the next few years. I'd hope it will, but I have no faith in the FCC and I'm sure that they will cave.

TBW[/QUOTE]

Actually there's virtually no reason for it to be pushed back again. The 2007 change over is happening requiring everything to have an ATSC tuner and it's also expected to be the first year HD sets outsell the ol' tube NTSC sets. Plus it only applies to over-the-air broadcasts and the vast majority of those broadcasters in almost all markets have already installed equipment and have a digital broadcast going. The only thing that may delay is the production of external digital tuner boxes for those that don't have ATSC on their sets. They seem in short supply these days, but given the marketplace and demand for them come 2009 my guess there will be plenty of manufactuers willing to cash in.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Actually there's virtually no reason for it to be pushed back again. The 2007 change over is happening requiring everything to have an ATSC tuner and it's also expected to be the first year HD sets outsell the ol' tube NTSC sets. Plus it only applies to over-the-air broadcasts and the vast majority of those broadcasters in almost all markets have already installed equipment and have a digital broadcast going. The only thing that may delay is the production of external digital tuner boxes for those that don't have ATSC on their sets. They seem in short supply these days, but given the marketplace and demand for them come 2009 my guess there will be plenty of manufactuers willing to cash in.[/quote]

i recently read that anyone who has the old tvs will get up to 2 $40 coupons for a converter box so they can still use their NTSC tv

[quote name='Malik112099']i recently read that anyone who has the old tvs will get up to 2 $40 coupons for a converter box so they can still use their NTSC tv[/QUOTE]

That talk's been thrown around, which is exactly why I expect so many companies to start making them again, wanting to cash in on people buying them.

[quote name='bmsdaddy']Tube-sets have already been displaced:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/home/tv.html

"Screen type
2005 was the first year that sales of non-tube-type TVs surpassed those of traditional tube sets."[/QUOTE]

Really? Maybe I'm thinking of flat panel sets then. I know a couple places predicted something along those lines. Random note though, in Europe LCDs outsold tubes for the last two quarters of last year.

bread's done
Back