TV keeps turning on and off?

Steve Dave

CAGiversary!
Besides my tv being haunted any idea what is making my TV turn on and off when we aren't doing anything with the controls?

Just wondering if anyone else ran across something like this and how serious of a problem it was. Really don't want to have to go and buy a new TV if I don't have to.

Just curious.

Are you using any other remotes? I have a DVD player that turns on by itself once in awhile when I use my tv remote.

Possibly a malfunction in the remote itself? Change the batteries, although it would more likely be some problem internally with the remote.

Do you live in an apartment? My neighbor's Apex TV remote sometimes shuts off my Pioneer home theatre receiver. It's really weird.

poltergeist.jpg

Don't live in an apartment and I took the batteries out of the remote and it kept doing it.

I will see about the short in the cord. Any idea how I could replace this myself? Is it difficult?

Possessed TV - That's funny, some moron probably would buy it on Ebay. Here are my experiences with TV's turning on and off.

1) My family's TV: It did this for years. I mean YEARS. My parents finally went and got it fixed, I don't remember what they said the problem was. It wasn't the cord, and it wasn't remote control related though. Just something that happened. It would go days without doing it, then sometimes it would pop on and off 4 times in a row. Completely unpredictable. It sounded painful when it happened (I'd think "there's no way the TV is going to handle this long-term), but like I said, the TV lasted for YEARS doing this. Since getting it fixed a couple of years ago, the TV is still going strong.l

2) My TV. I bought it 4 years ago. It's a 27" Samsung (I think) from Circuit City. If you do anything that blows the TV's mind (like switching channels too fast or turning game machines on/off/on/off/on/off really fast) it will pop off and sometimes right back on. Not sure how the Cable/Antenna input could cause the TV to turn on and off but it's definitely related to the picture signal.

Hope this helps. In my experience with the two TV's it has never been a problem. You might want to get it checked out though, just in case there is something wrong with the cord that could be a fire-hazard.

By the way, based on your sig, what is the "real" problem? I'm not a big fan of EA so I'm interested what the "real" problem is. Not looking to start an argument, I was just intrigued.

My stereo reciever kept turning on and off, but it turned out that the remote was being sitting in the basket just right so that the power button was pressed. Freaked me out for a second though

bread's done
Back