TV Tuners

ZombieHendrix

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I did a search and didnt find a topic on this so..ya. Does anyone here use a TV Tuner with there PC monitor? And if so can you reccommend any and possible some deals on one.

I'm looking to replace one of my TVs and be able to use the monitor as a High-Def TV for hooking my consoles up to.

well my experiance out of all the tv tuner makers out there, ATI is a lot better then what anyone has to offer....HOWEVER don't expect better than your tv signal. Expect things to look muggy/washed out/blurry. I have given ATI plently of chances since the first TV Wonder debued in 96 and continued with there all in wonder series just for that tv input...no real improvements. After nearly 10 years tv on computer doesn't still look right :|

[quote name='ZombieHendrix']I did a search and didnt find a topic on this so..ya. Does anyone here use a TV Tuner with there PC monitor? And if so can you reccommend any and possible some deals on one.

I'm looking to replace one of my TVs and be able to use the monitor as a High-Def TV for hooking my consoles up to.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ZombieHendrix']I did a search and didnt find a topic on this so..ya. Does anyone here use a TV Tuner with there PC monitor? And if so can you reccommend any and possible some deals on one.

I'm looking to replace one of my TVs and be able to use the monitor as a High-Def TV for hooking my consoles up to.[/QUOTE]

I have an ATI one. Bought new around 2 years ago. My PS1 looked good on it at full-screen, but TV only looked good when the TV screen was about 1/4 of the monitor size. Which was fine. I used it while I was coding, so I still needed to see the majority of the screen.

two things about this

1. most people run there screen res at 1024x768, 1280x1024 and up...TV (NTSC) is generally 720x486 so it stretches everything to fit your current set up.

2. if you do watch tv in a window, expect to do a lot of moving around of that window when surfing the net or other. After awhile it will get annoying.

Hmm, with the way I'll have things a VGA box might be a better way to go. Any one have any good expierences with those? Do any have an option to switch between console and tv use so I won't have to unplug and re-plug alot?

I have a VGA box I bought for my dreamcast *Somewhere*...the image quality was so so. Yea I know the DC wasn't a HD gaming system like the XBOX is today but it was cool to have one back then..

[quote name='ZombieHendrix']Hmm, with the way I'll have things a VGA box might be a better way to go. Any one have any good expierences with those? Do any have an option to switch between console and tv use so I won't have to unplug and re-plug alot?[/QUOTE]

I have an ATI TV Wonder VE I bought about 3 years ago for $30 and its worked pretty well, definitely got my money's worth. At first there was a driver issue with XP but they fixed it a few months later. The quality depends on the cable signal as my card is analog only and wouldn't display the signal from DirectTV, so it was pretty much what my normal TV looked like. I would recommend getting an HD TV card for viewing both TV as well as consoles, especially the Xbox.

I have a VGA Box for my Dreamcast and used it for a long time. It actually sharpened up the images on certain games, especially the 2K series sports titles. There are a number of games that dont work on it...but you can always hook it up to the TV tuner to get it to work ;).

bread's done
Back