TVersity - Media Streaming Program for PS3.

Nephlabobo

CAGiversary!
Has anyone heard of this?

While doing my wireless PS3 stuff tonight, my friend told me about a program he uses called TVersity.

It streams audio and video (and internet audio and video) from your computer onto your PS3 - with the option to download if you want - wirelessly.

I've got it streaming the entire series of Robotech off of my computer right now and it's working without a hitch.

And it's *Free*. (For cheapasses)

The only drawback to the program is it doesn't really have a good user's manual, and you have to blunder around in the dark a bit to get it going.

Once you install the program though and set it to the device you want, you're golden. There's no software required for the PS3 to use and everything is streaming.

It's a really cool program.

Recommended if you download a lot of TV shows/movies/anime and you want to be able to relax in your living room.

I should add this doesn't just work for PS3. It's also listed (in the menu) as working for PSP, Wii(!), 360, Iphone and several other devices.

Maybe a mod should move this to the General Games Section?

I actually prefer Nero's media server program, that comes with Nero 7. It seems to be more stable to me.

I have used Tversity, as well, and it is also good. If you have a free way to do it, though, I would go for Nero.

I still use Windows Media Player to stream music/video...although, WMP11 will not stream ALL of my music to my PS3....I think it is TOO much data to handle at once. The 360 plays it all fine though.

I was thinking of trying TVersity or NERO (I have version 8...not sure if it is different)....I just don't want to set everything up again.

I've been using Tversity and its great. I used it because I was unable to get WMP11 to work.. funny thing is.. after I fixed my computer for a virus that I got, I accidentally got WMP11 to stream as well... now both are detectable on my ps3, and both work.

I've been using TVersity for a while now (since back when the 360 would only stream wmv without it). It worked by converting mpeg, etc. to wmv in memory then streaming that to the 360. Because of this conversion I've had some issues with some files not being able to FF/Rew on both 360 and PS3. It works great, but couple words of warning: it chews up the pc's cpu & memory while streaming so keep that in mind. Also, and this may be my fault, I checked the install directory one day and found that it had been downloading podcasts regularly for months! I had about 4gb worth in there to get rid of and disable any further downloading.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Why did you prefer Nero?[/quote]

Hmm. It may have just been a fluke, but I seemed to get a lot of disconnections when using Tversity that weren't happening while watching something in Nero. Maybe it was just a coincidence, though.

No need to stream content to the PS3, just transfer your files to the internal hardrive through IIS via the PS3 web browser or through a usb flash drive.

I've refused to use streaming on my ps3 since I have no interesting using any of those programs. I find it irritating that I have to use one of these programs for streaming, when my modded xbox only requires me to specify the path to a shared folder. I have enough stuff running on my computer with folding at home and my TV recording software.

[quote name='erehwon']I've refused to use streaming on my ps3 since I have no interesting using any of those programs. I find it irritating that I have to use one of these programs for streaming, when my modded xbox only requires me to specify the path to a shared folder. I have enough stuff running on my computer with folding at home and my TV recording software.[/quote]

It's a real drag, huh?

Also, to the guy above who asked why I prefer Nero, I'm currently trying to watch episodes of Dexter Season 2 using Tversity, and every time I pause it and restart, it dies on me. This also happens when I fast forward or rewind sometimes. It just seems unstable to me. It doesn't happen nearly as often with Nero.

Third, it takes forever to transfer stuff through the PS3 Web Browser (at least it did when I used different file server programs), and I don't have a USB memory stick big enough for the job, so streaming is an instant thing. Why bother doing any of the others, when the big hard drive space in on your PC, anyway. All these game installs are taking up a lot of my PS3's space!

I use TVersity and it's been working pretty well since they added DivX support to the PS3 a few updates ago. My biggest annoyance is that you have to wade through a bunch of folders to actually find your media. If there's a way to customize the hierarchy somehow, I haven't poked around in the options enough to find it.

Also, that podcast downloading story has me a little worried. Going to check right now to make sure that's not going on.

[quote name='orko60']It's a real drag, huh?

Also, to the guy above who asked why I prefer Nero, I'm currently trying to watch episodes of Dexter Season 2 using Tversity, and every time I pause it and restart, it dies on me. This also happens when I fast forward or rewind sometimes. It just seems unstable to me. It doesn't happen nearly as often with Nero.
[/quote]

Yeah, I noticed Fast fowarding and rewinding was a bit dodgy but I assumed that was partially due to signal strength. I've only found it to be a problem with ffwding though.

the best thing to do is to use an external hard drive... a 500gb HD, or a 1TB drive on sale could hold all my music and video easily... of course I could erase some too.. but a 1TB drive is what I'd like santa to bring me this chrismas (quick someone email my wife this top secret info! )

I saw these in the store for the first time the other day. They were about $350, which is alot less than I was expecting.

I'm using cidero radio right now to serve up internet radio to a couple of devices but it doesn't work with my ps3. Is there a way to stream internet radio to the ps3? (oh and going to the internet radio website - www.radioparadise.com for example -doesn't work either.) I sure would like to stream radio on the thing...

Windows Media Player 11 works like a charm for both 360 and PS3. All it needs is a little subprogram running in the background. Takes up about 2MB of RAM for me. I remember that Windows Media Connect program we used to have to use and it was absolutely the worst piece of software I EVER used. I'm glad Microsoft killed it and would throw them a parade for it if I had that kind of money to burn.

Only issues are the album art system it uses is fucking crap. Seems like iTunes is the only program that displays my album art correctly. WMP only shows a few album covers for over 3000 songs and Winamp gets maybe 40% correctly while displaying the wrong cover for the rest. The art won't display at all on the PS3. Playlists are a joke too unless you use a program to port iTunes playlists to WMP playlists. And even then you get all those "hidden" playlists that display in duplicates all the time and you can never find them on your PC to delete them and save space.

It would be nice if all these asshole media player companies would go on a retreat to Camp David and get their shit together. Display album art the same way, use standardized playlists, etc.

I still use WMP11 to stream all my Music/Video. Seems to work fine. I installed TVersity at one point, but the user interface was not that great...so I uninstalled it. I tried adding files to the library and they didn't show up...not sure how long it takes though.

Oh well, WMP11 works fine (although, the PS3 cannot stream my music as I am sharing TOO much and it gives me an error message).

I'm a big fan of this software. As someone who has tried just about all of them, I like this one the best for a few reasons, one of which is the price (yay free). It's also constantly being updated, and works with a ton of different devices.

Couple issues I've had, just so you know:

FF/RW can be a slight hassle on some things, but a bigger one is pausing. Don't leave anything paused for more than 30-45 seconds, otherwise it will lose its place and you have to start over.

The default folder structure is downright byzantine, and customizing it is a hassle. My advice is just get used to it.

I didn't know Google had done a Media server.

Any special features?

TVersity is fine, the only thing it won't do is stream OGM files which is the file format of some of my anime. :(

I tried tversity but couldn't get it to work for whatever reason. Didn't matter as Sony added DIVX support, so not a big deal. I just use WMP11.

The only annoyance is that some videos tend to stutter really badly for a minute or two, but will go back to playing normally.

TVersity has been working fine for me except for not streaming OGM files.

What features does the Google Media Player have?

[quote name='SkaGoblin']FF/RW can be a slight hassle on some things, but a bigger one is pausing. Don't leave anything paused for more than 30-45 seconds, otherwise it will lose its place and you have to start over.

The default folder structure is downright byzantine, and customizing it is a hassle. My advice is just get used to it.[/quote]

To get around the pause issue (unless you are trying to look at something on screen of course) I've found that just pressing stop is the best way to go. In my experience no matter how long I've left the stuff alone it picks right back up where I left off when I hit play (not sure about PS3 or PC reboots).

As for the file structure I agree that it's pretty assy, but you can change it to a simple folder view in the settings menu.

[quote name='tekalien88']To get around the pause issue (unless you are trying to look at something on screen of course) I've found that just pressing stop is the best way to go. In my experience no matter how long I've left the stuff alone it picks right back up where I left off when I hit play (not sure about PS3 or PC reboots).

As for the file structure I agree that it's pretty assy, but you can change it to a simple folder view in the settings menu.[/quote]

Yeah, I stumbled on that too, but I'm an old fart and I am stuck in my ways. (Besides, sometime a man wants to pause his Battlestar Galactica for a few minutes while he fully examines the Gang-O-Nude-Boomers scene from Season 1)

As for the file system thing, I have a rather strange folder structure myself (yay OCD!) so it's more two complex systems fighting it out, killing each other in the process.

I got Tversity to work, however, I'd like to try something else. One thing I like about Tversity is that it works via PSP as well... I guess I'll keep it.

bread's done
Back