TWEWY-related countdown site (iOS version: Available now, $17.99-$19.99)

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/subaseka/

There's quite a bit on the site to point to what franchise it's related to. For one, the last part of the URL is clearly a shortened version of "Subarashiki Kono Sekai" (It's a Wonderful World), the Japanese title for The World Ends With You. The font used in the countdown should be familiar to TWEWY fans, and as pointed out in the GAF thread, so should the Character Designers ("CHARACTER DESIGN:TETSUYA NOMURA & GEN KOBAYASHI"). And there's still the smoking gun, so to speak, a new version of "Calling" hidden on the site, presumably to be used as BGM when the countdown progresses. (Updated the Youtube embed with Siliconera's posting of the 0 day song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOYMvovQ42Y

So, we know that this is related to TWEWY in some way, but we still won't know exactly what it's leading up to until the countdown finishes in 6 days, unless the Famitsu leaks cover it first. A new TWEWY for 3DS? An iOS/phone/social title? A soundtrack release? I guess we'll see by this time next week.

EDIT: For fun, you can change your system's date to August 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, and along with affecting the countdown, it adds another layer to the music each day.

Update from GAF: Looks like Square accidentally revealed the news early by listing the Arrange Album on their website. An Arrange album description that mentions an iOS version of the game.

[quote name='Kagari']Arrange album incoming: http://store.jp.square-enix.com/detail/SQEX-10337

Also, it says iOS release in 2012... so I guess we know what the countdown is. NEW TRACKS FROM THE IOS VERSION. And KH3D arrange tracks. [/quote]

A small air of mystery remains though, from Brian Gray, a translator who worked on TWEWY.
Brian Gray ‏@brilingual

Before everyone decides the #twewy countdown is over, they might want to wait for the countdown to be over. #moredripthanleak

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I'd be happy if Square-Enix reprinted The World Ends with You or ported it onto the 3DS. Sold out at Amazon and I can't find any copies near me.

I never got around to playing/picking up this game. I probably should get this along with Radiant Historia before they are gone for good.

GAME had to be reprinted cause my copied i had ordered months ago at amazon for 19.99 Showed up today..... Now to try to sell my Cart only verison for that price and keep the sealed one sealed :)

shocked they would reprint this old of a game (all i can figure out they reprinted it due to the fact there was a level in Kingdom hearts what showed the game)

[quote name='Cao Cao']A soundtrack release?[/QUOTE]
There are already two CDs worth of TWEWY music (specifically, Subarashiki Kono Sekai Original Soundtrack and Subarashiki Kono Sekai + The World Ends with You). A third one doesn't make sense if there isn't something new to attach it to; it's not that big a game.

Given the TWEWY characters' appearance in the new KH, not to mention this new site and Nomura's previous hints, my bet's on a game of some sort.

I think it'd be really strange if the weeklong countdown was for only a soundtrack (even though I think the game's music is fantastic). A new 3DS entry is what I hope for.

Just a small update on the countdown site, they added the music and background art files for 2 days remaining, 1 day, and 0 days.

It's a pretty simple file structure for both types of files, just change the number of days remaining at the end of the file name (Edit: And find the correct folder).

Music:
6 Days Remaining
5 Days Remaining
4 Days Remaining
3 Days Remaining
2 Days Remaining
1 Day Remaining
0 Days Remaining

BG Art:
6 Days Remaining
5 Days Remaining
4 Days Remaining
3 Days Remaining
2 Days Remaining
1 Day Remaining
0 Days Remaining

A new 3DS title, or GTFO, I say! Pretty exciting possibility-- thanks for pointing this out!

I played the heck out of the DS game. Lots and lots of fun and occasional frustration.

Update from GAF: Looks like Square accidentally revealed the news early by listing the Arrange Album on their website. An Arrange album description that mentions an iOS version of the game.

[quote name='Kagari']Arrange album incoming: http://store.jp.square-enix.com/detail/SQEX-10337

Also, it says iOS release in 2012... so I guess we know what the countdown is. NEW TRACKS FROM THE IOS VERSION. And KH3D arrange tracks. [/quote]

A small air of mystery remains though, from Brian Gray, a translator who worked on TWEWY.
Brian Gray ‏@brilingual

Before everyone decides the #twewy countdown is over, they might want to wait for the countdown to be over. #moredripthanleak

SE loves its announcements... but I sure hope the countdown wasn't for this recently revealed disappointment. SE keeps pulling disappointment after disappointment for me... first they release my favorite game of all-time, Secret of Mana, on iOS, then they pull this with one of the best games I've ever played.

"A sequel and/or remake of a great game? Nah. Let's port it to iOS! But of course make an announcement about it first!"

They do seriously need to stop it with these countdowns. A timer counting down 7 days in advance is overkill for announcing a port. Just issue a press release and be done with it.

Countdown's finished. The reveal is, of course, the iOS version (The World Ends With You: Solo Remix), with "redrawn" artwork and changes to the gameplay. Nirolak put up the site's screenshots in the GAF thread. Game comes out today or tomorrow, $17.99 for the iPhone version and $19.99 for the iPad version.

EDIT: Gameplay video of the first 20 minutes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RmsJY77X7w

Last edited by a moderator:
The game does look and sound quite a bit different with the better sound and redrawn sprites. I'd consider getting this but I doubt my old iPod could handle this game.

edit: Forgot that the soundtrack was remixed

I don't think the sprites were "redrawn" so much as "no longer downscaled for the DS" I think the more significant change is putting both characters on the same screen.

bread's done
Back