Twin Peaks - The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

sssnakesss

CAG Veteran
Does anyone know the best place so far to buy this set? Does anyone know if CC or BB will have it on sale? Deep Discount seems to have the best price thus far for $64. However, I want it cheaper. :cry: Thanks.

Wow that comes out next week? Damn, that is a must buy for me but I think it has to go on the waiting list for now. :(

If you can wait til the usual DD 20% sale sometime in November, the Gold Box set would be around $51.19 (if they keep it at its current price of course).

Using the Barnes & Noble coupon would cut the price down to $31.99 + the $25 for the membership + tax. That would make it around $10 more than DD with the sale, which is still pretty good considering you get a year's worth of 10% off at the stores plus membership coupons.

I have been on the fence about this series. I really wonder if it is going to still hold up, now that I am older and so much time has passed.

[quote name='lurknomore']I have been on the fence about this series. I really wonder if it is going to still hold up, now that I am older and so much time has passed.[/QUOTE]

IMO, it's still one of the best TV series of all time but most of the second season was horrible. It really took a nosedive after they revealed who Laura Palmer's killer was. Had too many dumb sub-plots (Little Nicky, James runs away, Nadine goes back to high school). The final episode makes up for all the crap we had to put up with in the second season though.

I'm kinda bummed out about the this complete series release too. I had S1 + the pilot episode. Should have sold them on Ebay when they were worth good money. :cry:

[quote name='norkusa']
I'm kinda bummed out about the this complete series release too. I had S1 + the pilot episode. Should have sold them on Ebay when they were worth good money. :cry:[/quote]

while I, and probably every fan, agree about the second season, I'm glad I still have that oop first season still. it has some stuff this new one doesn't. that final ep is truly epic though.

I actually liked season 2 for the most part though the James and Donna story was the least interesting/most dull and I liked the other stories though they were a bit different from the Twin Peaks norm, whatever that was.

One of the best series of all time, it holds up fine. It also is interesting now to watch it and see how the other mystery/scifi-ish shows owe so much to it (i.e. Lost, Heroes, etc.)

Why oh why the fuck does this need to be $100... is it just because the DVD company is greedy fucking bastards and saw how much the other sets were going for on Ebay. Bahh...I want to get this, but not for $100 and hardly for $60+. If it were around $50 then maybe, but still...Who puts out DVDs of just two seasons for $100 anymore?

[quote name='norkusa']IMO, it's still one of the best TV series of all time but most of the second season was horrible. It really took a nosedive after they revealed who Laura Palmer's killer was. Had too many dumb sub-plots (Little Nicky, James runs away, Nadine goes back to high school). The final episode makes up for all the crap we had to put up with in the second season though.
[/quote]

Hey, Season Two rocks, and Windom Earl is the shit! The "James runs away" storyline is the only bona fide stinker moment in all of TWIN PEAKS...

From what I'm seeing, the movie is not included in this set, correct?

I've been interested in this series for a while, and I have to admit I'm tempted by this. I've never seen any of it, but it seems right up my alley (and the fact that it has the midget from Carnivale in it helps ;) ).

[quote name='argyle']From what I'm seeing, the movie is not included in this set, correct?[/quote]

The movie, FIRE WALK WITH ME, is owned by New Line Cinema and not Paramount so, no, it is not included.

hell, i actually liked the second season. Although everything Lynch has done ive loved (except for Inland Empire, that blew)

[quote name='Filmmaker']Hey, Season Two rocks, and Windom Earl is the shit! The "James runs away" storyline is the only bona fide stinker moment in all of TWIN PEAKS...[/QUOTE]

Windom Earl is the only thing that saved S2 from being a complete mess. If David Lynch didn't abandon the show after the first season it would have been a lot better.

I love Twin Peaks but you gotta admit the storylines in S2 were waaaay too campy compared to the ones in the first season (save the pine weasel, who's the father of Lucy's baby). Just gave the show an entirely different mood and feel. The worst was Katherine coming back as a Chinese businessman. Ugh, that was awful. Could anyone honestly not tell that was her?

[quote name='norkusa']I love Twin Peaks but you gotta admit the storylines in S2 were waaaay too campy compared to the ones in the first season (save the pine weasel, who's the father of Lucy's baby). Just gave the show an entirely different mood and feel.[/quote]

No, I don't.

[quote name='norkusa']Windom Earl is the only thing that saved S2 from being a complete mess. If David Lynch didn't abandon the show after the first season it would have been a lot better.

I love Twin Peaks but you gotta admit the storylines in S2 were waaaay too campy compared to the ones in the first season (save the pine weasel, who's the father of Lucy's baby). Just gave the show an entirely different mood and feel. The worst was ***************************. Ugh, that was awful. Could anyone honestly not tell that was her?[/quote]

Awesome. for the people in this thread who haven't seen twin peaks and were thinking of picking up these dvds could you throw out some more spoiliers?

[quote name='icyjones']I'm glad I still have that oop first season still. it has some stuff this new one doesn't.[/QUOTE]

It does? What stuff?

There are lots of easter eggs in the ARTISAN set and the transfer is one of the best ever

Amazon shipped mine last week after they gave me a big 3.00 off it in my goldbox I had 2.51 left in GC so 58 bucks or so shipped and I already sold my PAL conversion HK PILOT DVD for 20.00
I picked this up to get a good version of the pilot and also for the deleted scenes and pie and coffee segments

[quote name='mkwng']It does? What stuff?[/quote]

well for one, it has the "previously on twin peaks" intros. not a huge thing, but still. also, i think that the extras and interviews on the artisan set are different.

[quote name='apocrypha']There are lots of easter eggs in the ARTISAN set and the transfer is one of the best ever[/QUOTE]

Definitely. The Artisan S1 set is without a doubt the nicest transfer I've ever seen on DVD. It almost looks like you're watching it in HD. I haven't seen what Gold Box S1 looks like so I can't compare but I've got the S2 set and the quality doesn't even come close to the Artisan.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']I'm glad they're not including the movie in the box set, because we all know the 4 hour version WILL make it to DVD one day.[/QUOTE]

Well, after about a 6 year wait i didnt think season 2 would make it so anything is possible

i remember watching a few episodes when I was younger and now I think I am ready to pick this up. From what I hear the movie is a prequel? And if so, should I watch this first before the TV series or after?

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']I'm glad they're not including the movie in the box set, because we all know the 4 hour version WILL make it to DVD one day.[/quote]

You never know really. There isn't that much super sought after movies that the Public is really demanding for DVD anymore. There are still some nuanced titles, but I think most are out on DVD, still in print, and can be found otherwise. A few major wants for people were also recently filled such as Reds I believe. I think 1492 is still being requested and some others, but look at all the obsucre and esoteric titles that have come out recently. I mean, we even got Monster Squad.

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']i remember watching a few episodes when I was younger and now I think I am ready to pick this up. From what I hear the movie is a prequel? And if so, should I watch this first before the TV series or after?[/QUOTE]

Definitely watch the movie AFTER the series. The movie spoils a great number of the mysteries in the episodes. Also, the movie is amazingly different in tone from the show, it's much more of a horror film, while the show has a much lighter touch. Watching the movie first may really alter how you watch the series, in a negative way.

The movie everyone is talking about in association with this DVD set is not "Fire Walk with Me", but rather the Pilot, which aired on TV in the US but received a theatrical release in Europe.

This new "Gold" boxed set includes both releases of the Pilot (Theatrical and TV edits), but "Fire Walk with Me" is not bundled. "Fire Walk with Me" is not bundled in the licensing deal that was put together for this release.

Unfortunately, there is no other standard release of the Pilot for Region 1 NTSC viewers. There is a well known Region 0 release that you can actually buy on ebay as well as DeepDiscountDVD. Season 2 has been available for years in PAL territories as well as Japan and parts of Asia, and this is part of the reason it is believed the Region 0 Pilot DVD is licensed.

Not all of the extras from the 1st Season DVD set are included with the new boxed set.

It is a shame that a separate DVD release of the Pilot for Region 1 has not occurred.

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']i remember watching a few episodes when I was younger and now I think I am ready to pick this up. From what I hear the movie is a prequel? And if so, should I watch this first before the TV series or after?[/QUOTE]

"Fire Walk with Me" is a prequel, but is not at all intended to be watched before the series. FWWM reveals some of the mysteries that propelled the series for its 2 season run, and watching it first, pretty much ruins large parts of the series. It focuses on Laura Palmer's life before her death, including her relationship with her dad Leland. It also includes a string of guest appearances by David Bowie, Chris Issak, and other Lynch faves.

FWWM is both a postscript and a prequel, allowing Lynch to cover in detail what he only alluded to in the series.

I just wanted to chime in on this thread with both a question and responses...

I have the region 0 pilot and existing season 1 and 2 sets. I will probably get the Gold Box eventually anyway, for the extras; but how does the picture quality look compare to the existing (especially the stunning existing Season One) sets? Can I just sell off what I have, or do I want to hold on to them?

To the person wondering if the show holds up: yes, especially with the quality transfers, the look and feel of the show has a kind of timeless quality. It might not be worth buying the set (although I have gone back a few times) but at least try renting it. Also, there will probably be a lot of fanboys (liek me) selling their existing copies of the separate pilot/S1/S2, as they pick up the Gold Box for the new extras... if you can settle for those used, they'll be cheap, I bet!

To the person wondering about the movie: Let me repeat what others have said, do NOT watch the movie before watching the show. Not only will it spoil the show, but a lot of references will be lost for you.

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']Thanks for all the heads up guys, much appreciated. Just waiting on Amazon to ship this bastard... not sure why there is a delay.[/quote]

Did you pick free shipping? Amazon always waits a few days after release day to ship on the free option (they even warn you this during the checkout process), but once it's released from the warehouse, it'll be on your doorstep lightning fast. They'll probably mail yours and mine today.

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']Thanks for all the heads up guys, much appreciated. Just waiting on Amazon to ship this bastard... not sure why there is a delay.[/quote]

Did you preorder it, because they shipped mine last week and I got it yesterday. (but unfortunately the postal carrier tried cramming it into my box and destoyed the box and broke most of the dvd holders, dvd's are fine, but packaging destroyed, gotta love those dumb bastards making $20 an hour to lose/destroy our mail)

This has been an interesting thread to read. I'll probably pick this up for myself for Christmas in the coming months. Have too much of a backlog to justify another boxset, but am definitely interested in light of all of the good talk here. Thanks for positive and informative answers.

[quote name='Filmmaker']Did you pick free shipping? Amazon always waits a few days after release day to ship on the free option (they even warn you this during the checkout process), but once it's released from the warehouse, it'll be on your doorstep lightning fast. They'll probably mail yours and mine today.[/quote]

Did I pick free shipping? Are you serious? Do you see my name and the forum were in? Amazon is ultra fast sometimes and then slow others. Oh well, I have other things to occupy me before it arrives.

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']Did I pick free shipping? Are you serious? Do you see my name and the forum were in? Amazon is ultra fast sometimes and then slow others. Oh well, I have other things to occupy me before it arrives.[/quote]

Um...you're welcome? :whistle2:s

Anyone in the Boston area who wants this set, Newbury Comics is selling it for $65. I assume that will end soon because I saw the "Normal Price $85" sticker on the box too.

[quote name='braddsky']Anyone in the Boston area who wants this set, Newbury Comics is selling it for $65. I assume that will end soon because I saw the "Normal Price $85" sticker on the box too.[/QUOTE]
Newburys is usually good like that every so often

Looking for a deal for this...to those of you who have the set now, how does the picture quality in the episodes compare with the S1 Artisan release?

bread's done
Back