Two most overpriced games ever!

xDerekRx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I dont live in Cleveland area, so maybe some of you Ohio cags know this store.

Its a place called BUYBACKS. They have multiple locations. I went into one and took these pictures... my jaw dropped

21BFdM9Xo9-aYwcpXyixTg
2010-02-20%2011.30.04.jpg

2010-02-20%2011.32.54.jpg

akY9d8y-rpjvZytRphTKug

And $38 for MKII isn't exactly a good price... those prices are crazy. I thought DiscReplay's (a small indy music/DVD/game store) prices were bad.

[quote name='georox']If a game is worth that much, no fucking way I'm putting a sticker on the cartridge.[/QUOTE]

No kidding, who the hell would do that? The owners are crazy people born and raised in crazytown.

I have been to BuyBacks in Columbus, Oh and never saw prices like that lol. Actually, they usually have some decent prices on what they sell.

One just opened up here in Erie, PA. They have some insanely high priced items but "most" of their stuff is really really good priced ( they seem to have the same used prices you can get on Amazon Marketplace ).

They have a couple of VHS tapes for 70-100 bucks. The highest priced items I have seem are usually older rare RPG's and for some reason Rygar for PS2 for like 31.99...

[quote name='Steggy']How much do they pay for tradeins?[/QUOTE]

For old games, no more than a dollar. Which means they paid someone a dollar for Gunstar Heroes and marked it up 11600%.

Buybacks is just all over in terms of their prices and TIVs. Most of their prices are OK if not great, but every once in a while you'll see something like that. I saw a $5 wrestling DVD there once for about $138.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Survivalism']For old games, no more than a dollar. Which means they paid someone a dollar for Gunstar Heroes and marked it up over 117%.

Buybacks is just all over in terms of their prices and TIVs. Most of their prices are OK if not great, but every once in a while you'll see something like that. I saw a $5 wrestling DVD there once for about $138.[/QUOTE]

Your math's off. 100% markup would be $2. So 117 bucks is a 11600% markup of a buck.

[quote name='mitch079']Your math's off. 100% markup would be $2. So 117 bucks is a 11600% markup of a buck.[/QUOTE]

I never once claimed to not fail math three times in high school.

you know what is even funnier? I bought a top loading NES with dogbone controller FOR ONLY $30 DOLLARS AT THAT SAME STORE! The thing that pissed me off is when I bought it, the guy pulls out a box full of bags with NES hook ups, and of course the bag he gives me has a regular NES controller. I noticed there was a dogbone selling alone (for $15...half the price of the system!) and I explained to him that that was the controller that goes with this system. Of course he had no idea what I was talking about and I really didn't care since they obviously mis-priced the NES anyway. Luckily at the last second a different guy comes up and tells him "hey make sure he gets the dogbone controller with that because that controller can't be sold by itself, it HAS to be sold with this system". So then he gives me the dogbone anyway. It pissed me off that if that other guy wasn't there, I would have been ripped off (sort of)

tl;dr: no one in this store has any idea what the hell they are doing

...and the same place had Chip n Dales Rescue Rangers 2 for $100 (which I ended up getting at some other game store in the mall for $20)!

I agree with people above... alot of their game prices were very fair. Normal. But 2-3 games were insane.

I forgot to mention Pokemon Yellow was 115

I go to buybacks about once a month. The game prices are crazy but the usually have good dvd and bluray prices. And all of their movies are usually in great condition. They wont accept trade ins in bad condition.

buybacks is one of the worst places ive ever been to to look for games. its no wonder they dont have any games. they probably give you shit for it then they sell it 20-30 times more.

The collector within me is cringing so hard at the thought of trying to peel off those price tag stickers on the Genesis labels.

I've been in that one if it's up in North Olmsted, and in the ones in Cuyahoga Falls/Akron and Canton.

I have never bought anything there, only sold FTF and Sudoku Ball.

just as another funny update...I went to a newer buybacks in Louisville today...they had MK2 and MK3 for genesis complete in the box for $1.99 each. I almost want to drive up to the store mentioned in the first post and ask what the hell are they thinking.

but funny enough, they had a glass case with a few CD's for INSANE prices just like these games, CD's that literally aren't worth anything. The craziest one was some generic greatest hits CD called "Patsy Cline 12 greatest hits" for $96!!! I looked on ebay and there are tons of these selling with buy it now for like $3. I seriously have no idea why that was priced so high....maybe its a running joke among the store? (sort of like this record store here that has that stupid Bruce Willis album on vinyl for $500 dollars as a joke since its actually worth like 5 bucks)

[quote name='pimpinc333']One just opened up here in Erie, PA. They have some insanely high priced items but "most" of their stuff is really really good priced ( they seem to have the same used prices you can get on Amazon Marketplace ).

They have a couple of VHS tapes for 70-100 bucks. The highest priced items I have seem are usually older rare RPG's and for some reason Rygar for PS2 for like 31.99...[/QUOTE]

How are Amazon Marketplace prices good? You can just go online and get them at the same price. That's not good.

[quote name='crows in black']you know what is even funnier? I bought a top loading NES with dogbone controller FOR ONLY $30 DOLLARS AT THAT SAME STORE! The thing that pissed me off is when I bought it, the guy pulls out a box full of bags with NES hook ups, and of course the bag he gives me has a regular NES controller. I noticed there was a dogbone selling alone (for $15...half the price of the system!) and I explained to him that that was the controller that goes with this system. Of course he had no idea what I was talking about and I really didn't care since they obviously mis-priced the NES anyway. Luckily at the last second a different guy comes up and tells him "hey make sure he gets the dogbone controller with that because that controller can't be sold by itself, it HAS to be sold with this system". So then he gives me the dogbone anyway. It pissed me off that if that other guy wasn't there, I would have been ripped off (sort of)

tl;dr: no one in this store has any idea what the hell they are doing

...and the same place had Chip n Dales Rescue Rangers 2 for $100 (which I ended up getting at some other game store in the mall for $20)![/QUOTE]

Personally I find the dogbone controller uncomfortable. I mean it looks cool, but I always use my older rectangular controllers to play games.

Also, we had a Buybacks when I lived in Wichita, KS that had equally absurd pricing schemes. Going into that store is like walking into another universe where the games that are considered rare are completely different from the games in our own universe. I've never bought anything from them.

[quote name='Tsukento']The collector within me is cringing so hard at the thought of trying to peel off those price tag stickers on the Genesis labels.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the exact same thing. Really nice of them to stick their hard-to-remove price sticker on the game's label. The supposedly $120 game's label. Douches.

One just opened up nearby in Greensburg a month or two ago. My gf and I walked in, looked around for a few minutes and left laughing at the ridiculous prices. Sure, the selection is pretty good, but I'd rather be patient and look for stuff at The Exchange or CD Warehouse.

[quote name='sp00ge']One just opened up nearby in Greensburg a month or two ago. My gf and I walked in, looked around for a few minutes and left laughing at the ridiculous prices. Sure, the selection is pretty good, but I'd rather be patient and look for stuff at The Exchange or CD Warehouse.[/QUOTE]

We have a "The Exchange" what a cluttered mess that place is.... terrible prices as well... they are molded after a gamestop...

When I worked at Wherehouse music (formerly Blockbuster Music, now closed), my manager became the manager at the Wichita Buybacks. Before they had an internal software system, they would go to ebay, amazon, and other places to manually look up prices. They would find the highest price and sell the CD, DVD, or game for 10% off the highest price. So if some knucklehead was trying to sell a limited edition of PS1's Harry Potter on Amazon for $189, Buybacks would sell the same game for 178 or so.

Related note: I remember I sold them a bunch of VHS tapes. I think there was 30 or so tapes, and they gave me over $150 for the lot. Score!!

bread's done
Back