Two weeks or no two weeks

You really hate a job, and you're planning on leaving, do you give them a two week notice or not?

I've learned that sharing your opinion to start a thread is a bad idea, so I'll save it for a moment.

Well I said No, however it really depends on the situation. If I think I might ever have to come back to that company then I would give 2 weeks notice.
That OR if I was in a buisness where I might run across one of my former bosses in another job. In that case you need to make sure you burn as little bridges as possible.

not enough information.

we need a hypothetical situation besides "you hate it"

You should always give two weeks notice if you plan to put that job on your resume. If you just plan to cut all ties then you dont need to give notice.

I'm so glad you made this topic, because I was also thinking about this. I want to quit Target so bad, but I'm not sure if I should put in a 2 weeks or not. I'm a good worker there, but I just hate that job.

Give 2 weeks. Even if you hate the shit out of the company, it's never a good idea to burn bridges. Karma is a boomerang. It swings back.

I'd just shit on my boss' desk and karate chop it in half.

And, yes; I'd get shit all over my own forearm.

Well the place employed you for a course of time so you should respect them enough to give them the two-week notice they deserve.. but I understand most people think they did the company a favor by working for them and won't come close to understanding that idea.

However, its never worth burning your bridges.. give the notice just as a future "in-case".

Always Always give two weeks.

The only situations I wouldn't would be something illegal or some other reason you have to get out of there immediately.

Why not "compromise" and just give one week? You won't have to suffer through two weeks at a job you don't like, nor will you be leaving them hanging (much).

Alright, here's a few more details:

1. Yes, I do hate my current job, but only because I've been lied to from the beginning. I was initially hired in back in June to work as a sales and marketing assistant. Certainly not my dream job, and a major step back from my contract/temp job that had expired shortly before Chrysler went into negotations to be sold, but Michigan's economy sucks, so I took it. I figured I had to do something rather than risk sitting around, plus I have an interest in marketing and brand development.

2. After working there awhile I noticed how I was pretty much being trained to join the sales team, which made no sense as I could easily get a sales job elsewhere if that's what I wanted to do. I've been offered a variety of sales positions since graduating college, generally turning them down, save for my other mistake... Quicken Loans.

3. I approached my manager about this and she said she saw me as a sales rep and I wouldn't be helping their marketing team much at all... I nearly left that day, but agreed to stick around as I had nothing else lined up, and she told me that our sales reps make no cold calls as they're dealing with clients we already have had, maintaining relationships.

4. The company fired one of their sales reps (apparently they do this somewhat frequently) and promoted the other sales assistant to the sales rep position. She hated it, and after being with the company for 2 years she put in her notice, dropping our total sales reps back down to 2. This was over a month ago. As for the sales rep who was fired... well she desparetly needed this job, but certainly wasn't given "two weeks" to find a new one.

5. The manager told me that I'd soon be promoted to the position, they just wanted me to learn more about the company and the operations of the office. This has yet to happen...

6. The company is tiny, we're talking 14 employees here and shrinking. Two have left in the past month, and another was fired in August. They've been around for nearly 30 years, so that's not what I call good progress. I'd never have to worry about working for them again or any of their end-users.

7. I have developed some friendships at the office, that I'd like to maintain, but on the whole if these people can't support whatever decision I make, they're not really friends worth having.

8. We presently have two sales reps and two assistants, the other assistant is... well just not all there, she's a really nice girl, but after being here for three months she is yet to have a strong grasp on the concepts I got after my first week.

9. Instead of promoting/hiring someone, the manager is currently overloading the two remaining CSRs, who in turn dump much of their work off on the sales assistants, who earn considerably less money and no commission on these orders. Guess which sales assistant carries the burden of the work load? Guess which one also handles the majority of order processing for their manager and the company president/ceo/owner's daughter? Guess who also takes all the flack anytime anything is done wrong?

10. I do not have any other job lined up presently. I do have a guy I've been in contact with (whose name I acquired through my mom) about a job doing branding and marketing for oil companies. I also have a dad that runs a painting business that is currently under-staffed and overloaded with work. So, if desparation arises I have short-term and future options.

11. Also most importantly their glorious pay-off of the sales rep position pays a whopping total of $30K a year plus commission. The money is a joke, I made more in a week in my contract job than I do in two weeks here. Plus when I asked about the employee review I was told about during my second interview and is indicated to be after 60 days in the employee handbook, they told me that was out-dated and reviews were done after a year of employment.

I can't stay here, it's killing my sanity. I had a hard time not going into one of my well-documented outbursts of rage when my manager (who has been leaving at 3 all week) told me I'd be staying late today. I'm actually afraid of losing my temper and storming off like a maniac, something I have not done in a long time and have vowed to not let consume me again, the only cure has been regular work-outs when I get home.

Two weeks, however don't ever count on that employer giving you a good reference even if you give them 2 weeks notice. No job wants someone to quit them. Unless you have someone who can voluch for you when you leave, expect your former employer to backstab you big time.

When I left one school county to join another county, I thought I left on good terms because the head of a major program said I was welcomed to come back next summer.. When they called her for a reference she badmouthed me to several people over emails. That was not cool. Of course the guy she found to teach the program I was teaching doesn't know shit about what he is doing and calls me for help. fuck heads.

Unless it's either going on your resume or it is in the same field as your career, then tell them to fuck off and quit. ("fuck Off" is optional.)

I've done this to two jobs in my life:

Six Flags Hurricane Harbor (I was a lifeguard, and being paid $7/hr to deal with 10,000 pissy New Yorkers for 60 hours a week).

Klein's Supermarket (I did nightstocking, but was also taking two summer classes at the same time and didn't currently have a car at the time. So when my boss flipped out on me for requesting to be transferred to a branch within walking distance of my home, I opted to focus on grades).

...and no, I didn't tell either of these jobs to "fuck off", I simply quit on the spot.

~HotShotX

After having to deal with far too many former co-workers up and quitting on a Saturday, or on their lunch hour, if you have any respect for your co-workers, give notice. You won't maintain those friendships if you suddenly throw things off balance putting a bunch of shit work on them trying to compensate for an unexpected departure when things could have been made much smoother by giving the boss a note shortly before you stopped coming to work.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Well the place employed you for a course of time so you should respect them enough to give them the two-week notice they deserve.. but I understand most people think they did the company a favor by working for them and won't come close to understanding that idea.

However, its never worth burning your bridges.. give the notice just as a future "in-case".[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%, it is not fair to the employer to just quit without any notice especially if it's a small business with so few employees where you leaving has a huge effect.

[quote name='HotShotX']
Six Flags Hurricane Harbor (I was a lifeguard, and being paid $7/hr to deal with 10,000 pissy New Yorkers for 60 hours a week).
[/QUOTE]

The one next to Great Adventure? No chance I would ever work there, with the type of bad crowds that park gets.

Man this is really tough... I've lost all respect for this company for how they've treated employees they've axed. I had actually forgotten about our "tech" girl who was fired over her lunchbreak - essentially because they weren't using her as much as they had originally planned, so two people have been fired since I started here in June.

Just so shady, the owner himself has taken the whole month off to observe Ramadan, and my apathy grows more and more by the minute.

Yet some of you have made really good points as to why I should go tomorrow. I'm really mulling them over.

In other knews my car died in the past week, twas it's time, but I've yet to set up a ride for tomorrow...

The way I see it, this place has little impact on my career on the whole, yet I'll either feel incredible guilt for ditching them in their time of need, or feel really pissed off all day by showing up for the next two weeks or so.

Perhaps I'll call in tomorrow morning a half hour early or so and let them know I've decided to leave, and that I'll find a way to get to the office if they feel they need me the next two weeks.

If you don't plan on using them as a reference. You absolutely hate your job. You can fuck over your Supervisor/Upper management that may have been dicks. If you already have something else lined up. Then yes, go ahead and just quit.

If you may need them for references, or if by quitting you'll screw one of your friends by increasing their workload without warning, then I say just do the two weeks. But if you screw someone who may have previously pissed you off, once again hit the door.

Well I just quit one of my jobs today, and gave 2 weeks. It was an At-Will employer, so technically I can up and quit whenever for whatever reason. Normally I decide to give 2 weeks if there is any chance I will ever work for them in the future, or if the people are generally decent human beings.

Legally in Florida all an employer can tell future employers is the time you were employed, and if you are considered "rehireable" in their system.

[quote name='PapiChullo']If you don't plan on using them as a reference. You absolutely hate your job. You can fuck over your Supervisor/Upper management that may have been dicks. If you already have something else lined up. Then yes, go ahead and just quit.

If you may need them for references, or if by quitting you'll screw one of your friends by increasing their workload without warning, then I say just do the two weeks. But if you screw someone who may have previously pissed you off, once again hit the door.[/quote]

Well here's yet another catch... I don't really care for the two sales reps that much. The only people I'd consider friends would be the girls in the operations department, the guy in shipping I like to talk about football with, and the guy who went to my college (albeit 10 years earlier).

Both of the remaining sales reps will actually be out of the office tomorrow on training, leaving the manager who is your typical all that matters is her own pockets manager, and the other sales assistant that has increased my workload by being so inept.

Still I'll feel some guilt as I'll feel I turned my back on all these people... regardless of if I ever see them again, I'm not sure I want their last impression of me to be that I just walked out on 'em.

On the other hoof, I'm rather apathetic towards co-workers opinions, and furthermore regardless of when I leave they're going to look at me as turning my back on them. I also want to avoid what would be a VERY awkward two weeks or so, as I'm easily the most vocal person in the office, talking to everyone as I regularly have to run about the office getting this and that, I'm a glorified go-fer at times.

I once left a job by taking my weeks vacation and not coming back. That was pretty awesome, because the owner of the company (racist prick that he was - once fired a mechanic because his son hired him without telling the owner he was black) called my phone asking me to come back and "talk about things".

Much of the reason I left was because I had been there five years, and when our boss left, the owner hired the friend of his son as the new boss. Not saying I was the best guy for the job, but there were at least three of us who were much better candidates for it than the meathead he hired.

The one next to Great Adventure? No chance I would ever work there, with the type of bad crowds that park gets.
Yup, the one in Jackson, NJ. Absolute hellhole, although the Lazy River (which everyone hated) was the best spot. It's a constantly flowing river circling the park, and everytime I'd switch posts, I'd swim in it and check the vents as I went by, occaisionally scooping up a $20 stuck to the grating.

Of course, it couldn't compare to those collecting money for parking. Customer hands them a $20, but leaves without getting a receipt, they just hit "no sale" and pocket it. No camera's either. Bastards. :)

~HotShotX

I've only quit three jobs without giving notice, one of which was a second job that I didn't care for. The other two I hated with a passion. The most recent of those two was by far, the craziest way to quit you can imagine (short of yelling Glitter Bitches!) Long story short, my employer convinced me not to quit without having another job lined up (and because it would kill them to lose me). So, two and a half months later, I finally accepted a good position someplace else. But the day I was to submit my two weeks notice I learned that I was going to be fired! So I beat them to the punch and said, fuck off I quit.

At any rate, I think your sanity is much more valuable than a reference will be. Money is "the man's" way of institutionalizing you. You have to decide for yourself just how much control you will give up for money. Mental sanity is priceless IMO. No job/employer has the right to take that from you.

At first I was thinking that 2 weeks notice should always be given, but should it even be given even though you've been working that current position only for a month or two? I'm not asking the OP directly, just curious.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Well the place employed you for a course of time so you should respect them enough to give them the two-week notice they deserve.. but I understand most people think they did the company a favor by working for them and won't come close to understanding that idea.

However, its never worth burning your bridges.. give the notice just as a future "in-case".[/quote]

ftw... i agree 100%

Give two weeks unless you just can't do it. The only reason I can see for that is you have a new place that needs you to start earlier than two weeks out, but it would be weird for the new place to not agree w/ letting you give the previous employer a two week notice. That doesn't apply here.

The only other time I'd consider not giving two weeks notice is if you know or strongly suspect that your company has a history of telling people to clear out and go home as soon as they give a 2 week notice, ending their employment and paycheck right at that time.

As for your 2nd post's #4 - Are you saying they didn't give the fired person any sort of severance (such as two week's pay?)

However, its never worth burning your bridges.. give the notice just as a future "in-case".[/QUOTE]

I just *knew* you were one a' them deferential to everything business does, so kiss their ass types. Employers don't "deserve" two weeks anymore than you get two weeks' pay to find another job when they fire you/lay you off.

Let me put it this way: if an employer *deserves* anything, then chances are they're doing something right and you don't hate your job the way the OP does, so you wouldn't want to quit in the first place.

This silly-ass corporate-capitulation mentality is just another mechanism of giving power to business over people, by virtue of who gets references. ZL is at a loss if he tries to explain his gap in employment (if he doesn't list his most recent employer on a resume) - and if he does, and they feel vindictive, he's fucked in many cases. He is completely subject to their whims, grudges, and pettiness. fuck all that, I say.

But, ZL, you are fucked. If you need this reference, or want to avoid any awkward discussions of why there's a gap in your employment history (if you walk off the job and leave it off of resumes), then you'll have to stomach the two weeks. If you've got something lined up, then don't sweat it.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Michigan's economy sucks[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. Automation and free trade have made Michigan one of the worst fucking states to live in. Anyone who doesn't pay attention to what they buy and where in the world it is made should have to live in Michigan for a week. Doesn't really matter where, either. The whole state sucks.

I've got a lot of friends and relatives urging me to leave Michigan for a better career. Things don't look like they're getting any better here either.

[quote name='wubb']As for your 2nd post's #4 - Are you saying they didn't give the fired person any sort of severance (such as two week's pay?)[/quote]

Correct. They're entirely employment at will and can fire you at any time for any reason without severance. Likewise you can leave anytime you like, but if you don't put in two weeks they won't consider you for re-hire... which makes no sense, why would you leave with intention of coming back?

[quote name='JohnnyDrama']At first I was thinking that 2 weeks notice should always be given, but should it even be given even though you've been working that current position only for a month or two? I'm not asking the OP directly, just curious.[/quote]

Only been there since mid-June, so ya, not very long.

Anyway, I ended up going to work today, it was tough... real tough, but after reading the over-whelming opinion of this thread as well as the opinions of friends and family, I decided it was right for me to go in one more day.

First thing in the morning... I get the evaluation I was supposed to get yesterday. I was ready to give my notice if the meeting didn't go to my liking. Well, long story short I got what I wanted for now.

The manager tells me how great I've been doing my job, and that she was looking to hire a new sales assistant so I could start moving up within the company. I'd be responsible for training this person, as well as, doing the interviews to select this person. All of that sounds really good to me to put on my resume, so I definitely won't leave until I have something more lucrative lined up for sure and until I've done a few interviews. The manager also looked at my salary and said she needed to fix that, so looks like I'm getting a raise soon.

The moral of the story is listen to your friends, family and fellow CAGs.

it depends, if you are 100% sure you are NOT going back there under ANY circumstance then whatever...it does not matter.

but if there is even that 1% chance...leave the 2 weeks notice...you never know if you need that job again.

Well after a few meetings/interviews over the summer.. I was given a few offers, however most of them started a few months after the school year started. County policy states that it's up to the principal to let you transfer...and knowing my principal , once I started the school year I would be locked down. She doesn't like anyone leaving her kingdom so I came up with an ingenious plan :) Put in my 2 weeks notice before the school year started, tell her the reason why I am leaving because I am going back to school full time and unfortunitly most of the classes are during the day. I said I would be working still in the school system on a limited basis (subbing and working in after school programs) and after the talk she put on my resignation forum that I resigned in good standings...which was EXACTLY what I wanted. IF she put resignation with prejudice or resigned in bad standings, then I would have been so fucked that the county would never rehire me in the future. I am working odd jobs in the county right now but in a few weeks when the position I want opens up, I'll be in and back with full benefits.

I really hated that job and it was a waste of time for me so since they weren't honest with me, I won't be honest with them. If I bump into any of my former co-workers I will simply say "The job offered me something better and that's why I stopped going to school." Shit like that happens all the time. There is no way in hell they can legally ask me the transcripts and since I am back in the system everything is good.

In this day in age, who the fuck cares if you burn your bridges with a previous employer...if it was retail, fuck that since they are assholes to begin with. Also if its not related to your career goals, then I wouldn't worry about it. The old saying "You will never work in this town/city again" is a load of bull that you only see on tv coming from assholes with small penises.

[quote name='HotShotX']Yup, the one in Jackson, NJ. Absolute hellhole, although the Lazy River (which everyone hated) was the best spot. It's a constantly flowing river circling the park, and everytime I'd switch posts, I'd swim in it and check the vents as I went by, occaisionally scooping up a $20 stuck to the grating.

Of course, it couldn't compare to those collecting money for parking. Customer hands them a $20, but leaves without getting a receipt, they just hit "no sale" and pocket it. No camera's either. Bastards. :)

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

It doesn't surprise me that the employees would pocket the parking fee. They are probably getting paid less than mimimum wage (I read on a coaster board since SF is a seasonal business they can pay under minimum wage) and see the prices SF is charging and justify it. The sad thing is for this year, that $20 won't even cover the parking fees if you choose preferred parking ($15 regular, $25 preferred).

bread's done
Back