Two Worlds II - Out Now

I dont understand what the video did except show people the tutorial
I think it highlights some of the problems I have with the game. You can see the bits of slowdown when I turn the camera, the silly voices, the limited animation, the crowded controls (although PC gamers won't have to deal with this I'd imagine), the weird combat, and some of the audio glitches (If you fast forward to the very end you'll see a particularly egregious example of the dialogue cutting out early).

I know I'm opening myself to the old "beauty is only skin deep" accusation with alot of my critique but I'd like to think immersion plays at least a slight role in these kinda fantasy games. More importantly, the core gameplay were just not impressive, I think this game represents a common issue we had with games back during the GTA clone days: the list of bullet points is certainly long and interesting, but without a sturdy gameplay foundation none of those really matter. I think that's all I really have to say on the game, I can keep posting about how I don't like it but I think I would just be spinning my wheels.

@mike.m yeah the difficulty spikes are scattered around the world. I like that tho, knowing that you cant just go into a cave with out leveling first.
I do think that's been one of the better ideas behind two worlds. Oblivion and the like had a few select areas with difficulty spikes too but generally the enemies leveled up with you... I think both systems have their ups and downs but I do rather like Two World's approach.

plus I love when i can read a negetive review because it shows the bad things other may not see or mention....but when u mention the cover art it kind of destroys any credibility imo.
You like it? I certainly don't consider myself a pro but I'd like to think all my graphic design schooling at least imparted SOME wisdom in me on what works and what doesn't.

its the cover....cmon

i did pick up the game on my way home for $40 at kmart. installing now. i just hope it doesnt suck.

some impressions. been playing about 2 hours. there is an adjustment process in this game. what i mean is literally you have to adjust the games settings a few times to make it right. for example, the camera rotates very fast in default speed, so i lowered it to 3 and now its perfect. Also, the screen was like to zoomed in and i couldnt see the hud on the edges. this was kind of tricky to find the fix, but it was right in front of my face but since it was labels poorly i didnt realize this was the option.....dumb shit like that

Mild spoilers below

the first "section" which i am still playing is a tutorial of sorts. you start the game, make your guy (no option to be a woman) then it starts off with you in a dungeon being broken out by this hot little orc. you basically follow her out finding loot along the way and learning some basics of the gameplay. During the player creator you do not choose what kind of role your playing and u dont have any points to distribute. you have access to the skill tree and i assume you will decide what role you want to be from there when u get some points. you can clearly see the following trees, Warrior, Ranger, Mage.

you also see some general skills like endurance, willpower, strength and accuracy as well as assassin, crafting and general skills. I assume these are available regardless of the class u choose. I think that is kind of cool since other RPG designate skills to certain classes.

Keep in mind each class also has about 11 things under its own tree specific to that class. Its all layed out pretty well and while i have read alot of negatives about the menu, i picked this up in less than 2 hours....ONE thing i will say is in the settings make sure you switch the option to "show icons as text" which is probably what confused alot of these idiot reviewers. Its like they dogged it without understanding that a simple change of an option makes the world of difference. Stupid that the devs even made it this way but at least it can be setup how u like.

So to the game. Graphically i am very impressed. i have seen both dungons and daylight outside and both look extremly sharp and detailed. It doesnt look as sweet as mass effect 2, but its not far off either. And is miles ahead of Dragon Age. thats the environments and landscapes..... very nice and look excellent

The player faces look pretty dated...like those same lifeless faces you saw in Oblivian. Its not bad, but its not good either. Another thing you notice is the same idiotic hand and arm gestures during conversations. This would be less of an issue if they at least matched the point of emphasis in the discussion. It isnt a big deal, but its dumb and would have been better if they just stood still when talking.

The game is also extremely smoooooooth. i havnt seen any pop ins or framerate drops at all. your guy moves effortlessly and is 100% responsive. he can run and jump and swim and it all transitions very well.

Combat...i have only had 1 guy to fight so far. i used a sword and pushed RT and the guy did some random spin moves when make his hits. I didnt know if i was making that happen or what. It worked...but i need more fights to know how this is. I did have a orc mage that fired off some kick ass fire spells. I cant wait to get my mage shit going.

Glad to see your enjoying it. :)

Im glad that we all can have a civil convo about this game, anywhere else i try to defend this game, i get made fun of and shit. This is why i love CAG's boards.

Also to anyone creating a character, the possibilities are endless. if you want a mage rouge, you can do that. If you want a tank mage, you can do that. Thats what i love about this game.

I can get over how much different the second island is to the first, finally explored alot of it and have been having a blast doing these side quests.

If I absolutely hated the first Two Worlds, will I like the second one?

I bought the first one thinking (and being told by a GS employee) that it was essentially an Oblivion clone, but once I got to payign it it was just so bad I returned it the next day.

Still, looking for something Oblivion-like till the new Elder Scrolls game comes out.

Also, is this a 3rd person game (like ME2 & DA:O? If it is def not interested), not a first person game? And no interest at all in the co-op/multiplayer aspect.........

I'd love to get this game for $40, but I'm not sure exactly how the Kmartgamer price works. I went to the blog, and saw a cag link to a post stating the price,but have no idea how to actually purchase it.

ANy help, or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

i went to my kmart and on the glass case they have all the advertised deals stuck to the case. Two Worlds 2 was clearly marked at $39.99.

items like the deal he posted for Black Ops and the 1600 point card is not advertised and is a situation where you have to get rung up before u see the free 1600 point card

regarding the game.....i posted this on another site i visit

got a bit further into the combat. its actually pretty cool. people complaining about hit detection dont seem to realize that in the tutorial it tells you that accuracy matters. its also a skill to level up. I was able to figure out how to control these spin attacks and its all about timing and using the right hit at the right time. Got a hold of a bow and arrow and thats really cool to use. you can even fire two arrows at one time taking out multiple targets

the lockpicking is cool too.
done with the tutorial section. its rather long but not boring or tedious. it covers all the basics of playing as a warrior, ranger or mage in regard to combat (the combat is quite good). you also learn about breaking down and crafting items, creating and casting spells as well as doing some simple quests. After that you are on your way to the mainland.....the tutorial is done on a smaller island. The map is huge though. even the small tutorial island is huge and its totally open world meaning you can follow the paths in the world, or stray off into the woods basically going where ever you please. It would be next to impossible to explore all of the world because you can go anywhere you want. A game like dragon age is open world, but its still mapped out and u basically have a linear path of where u need to go. Not this game. there is a path, but you dont have to take it and u can find things off the path.

another tidbit about the negative reviews. I read how they complained about the textures bluring in the distance or even during conversation.....i have to think these people are morons. Yeah it blurs in the distance but it blurs in the sense that your eyes can only see so far. And the conversation blur is designed to be like that. Its not a design flaw or bad programming. They used blur as an effect in the background to highlight the conversation your having.

overall very happy with this game. the only real negative is the voice acting, but it still gets the point across

i also agree 100% with you big stephen. I love that they gave players the option to be a jack of all trades of sorts. i was originally planning on being a mage, but now I am thinking about a mage warrior type because while i love playing with spells, i really enjoy the sword battles in this game. The combat is fun and really good

big - what level are you at 19hrs played? I played about 3-4 hours last night and I am just a level 2....any word on the level cap?

Labyrinth 7 was a pain in the ass. Why the hell don't they give you a map once you've found your way into the maze? I was stuck for 30 minutes last night wondering if I would ever get out. I now know to avoid the labyrinths when I'm tired and planning on going to bed soon.

[quote name='Maynard46']i went to my kmart and on the glass case they have all the advertised deals stuck to the case. Two Worlds 2 was clearly marked at $39.99.

items like the deal he posted for Black Ops and the 1600 point card is not advertised and is a situation where you have to get rung up before u see the free 1600 point card

regarding the game.....i posted this on another site i visit

i also agree 100% with you big stephen. I love that they gave players the option to be a jack of all trades of sorts. i was originally planning on being a mage, but now I am thinking about a mage warrior type because while i love playing with spells, i really enjoy the sword battles in this game. The combat is fun and really good

big - what level are you at 19hrs played? I played about 3-4 hours last night and I am just a level 2....any word on the level cap?[/QUOTE]

Im lvl 25 and i specd in a warrior with mild spell, just for heals.

I dont know about SP lvl cap, but i have a sword i randomly found that was lvl 45 and online i have matched with lvl 120 lol So who knows.

glad your digging the game man.

here is a real noob question for ya. What does the icon in the lower right corner mean/do?

see pic

twoworlds2ot03.jpg

[quote name='Maynard46']here is a real noob question for ya. What does the icon in the lower right corner mean/do?

see pic

twoworlds2ot03.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Health/Mana/Stamina (read, blue, yellow, respectively)

I'm just starting this, but so far really digging it. Only concern I have is I'm afraid to sink points into stats/skills since I don't know what is good or not. I usually don't play these types of games for a while, and by the time I do there are "optimal build" threads all over. In a game this big, I just don't want to sink points into a skill, only to later find out it's useless (ie, Charisma in Fallout 3, etc)

Just depends on what character you want to make. These games are made to play around with and *HOT TIP* if you mess up and stat something you dont like, go to the mages guild and get a "regressing" which will let you respec, just cost money. Pretty neat and you can then put all your points into what you really want.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']Just depends on what character you want to make. These games are made to play around with and *HOT TIP* if you mess up and stat something you dont like, go to the mages guild and get a "regressing" which will let you respec, just cost money. Pretty neat and you can then put all your points into what you really want.[/QUOTE]

:shock: That's brilliant. That was my favorite thing about Dragon Age Origins Awakening, the respec books. I freaking respeced every party member, lol.

Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking primarily a warrior that dabbles in magic. Always want to make a battle mage, but am always disappointed in my builds in these types of games, so I'll probably focus more on melee. The spell effects seem a bit underwhelming anyway.

If you just dabble they will be underwhelming but if you focus only in willpower and magic, its insane. :)

And yeah DA2 better have respec options. :)

My big question, after getting kinda burned on the first one: How is the single player frame rate and online lag? I actually put a lot of time in on the first one, despite the obvious issues, but eventually got fed up and just stopped altogether.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']Just depends on what character you want to make. These games are made to play around with and *HOT TIP* if you mess up and stat something you dont like, go to the mages guild and get a "regressing" which will let you respec, just cost money. Pretty neat and you can then put all your points into what you really want.[/QUOTE]

Does the game support multiple save files like Fallout or Elder Scrolls? \

With multiple saves I feel free to take chances on skills/spells/etc, and if I dont like what I've committed to I can just load up an older save.

[quote name='Puffa469']Does the game support multiple save files like Fallout or Elder Scrolls? \

With multiple saves I feel free to take chances on skills/spells/etc, and if I dont like what I've committed to I can just load up an older save.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I wanna say there are 10 save slots IIRC.

[quote name='sp00ge']My big question, after getting kinda burned on the first one: How is the single player frame rate and online lag? I actually put a lot of time in on the first one, despite the obvious issues, but eventually got fed up and just stopped altogether.[/QUOTE]

im only about 6 hours in and i think it runs really smooth. the only framerate issues i see are when your on the horse....and its pretty sad that this got by the devs. you can still ride the horse and get around ok, but it stutters alot. other than that i have no issue with the framerate.

im glad we are talking about points. im underwhelmed by the starting magic spells. But my hope was it gets more amazing as u go. I started putting points into strenght, willpower and health. And also put a few into the warrior skills, but mostly into the mage skills.

I should probably just focus on being a mage like i wanted.

Yeah just make sure you do all the sidequests you can. Because its pretty difficult if you don't later on. You get tons of XP from them too. Thats how i leveled.

Glad your enjoying it as much as i am maynard.

im enjoying it alot. last night i got from level 2 to level 5 super fast and didnt even realize it. So i had all the point saved up and distributed them. I have the save before doing so and I think i am going to go back and reload. After reading your comment on dabbling vs focusing i think i want my mage to be insane as u said :)

Biggest problem I've seen for mages is that I can't put any points into a lot of the categories because I haven't found a skill book for them yet. Am I missing something? For example, I have a card for Earth element, but can't use it because I'm not level 1 earth. But I can't take it yet.

that is one point that you have to explore, talk to every merchant, when doing sidequests, check the area around that sidequestyou will find lots of books around. I can guarantee you that you can find a level 1 earth mastery card at the mages guild vendor.

Also just like the Game tells you in the loading menus... You can save skill points for later use. Dont be to quick to spend you might need them later. :)

Hope that helps.

Anybody know if you can change the LB and RB hotkeys when you have your weapon out? It only seems to let me change them for when I have my weapon put away. It always defaults to health and mana with weapons out but since I don't use magic, I would rather have the antidote be on LB.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']that is one point that you have to explore, talk to every merchant, when doing sidequests, check the area around that sidequestyou will find lots of books around. I can guarantee you that you can find a level 1 earth mastery card at the mages guild vendor.

Also just like the Game tells you in the loading menus... You can save skill points for later use. Dont be to quick to spend you might need them later. :)

Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

but u still need the book to use that card. I am in the same boat as zmonkay.

im getting a bit frustrated with mage abilities. I am playing the beginning missions and side quests so I assume there difficulty falls in line with where a starting player would be. I played and finished the starvation quest last night. Along the path i come across giant ants or those creatures called gorrs or something. As a mage i only have a few spells. Each of which seems to do little damage. Take the Ant for example. I hit him 5 times with a fire bolt, run away so he doesnt hit me, fire 5 more times. rinse/repeat about 4 times. Thats like 20 hits. meanwhile he hits me 3-4 times and i am dead..... the hit and run method isnt exactly stratigic and its kind of lame.

I could see if i was wandering into areas that i shouldnt be. But where i am coming across these enemies is in the course of playing the very first side quest you open in the game.....(for a sidequest its very long...took about 2 hours a gametime to finally finish). I am a level 8 and i am now only sinking points into mage now.

even using my melee setup and trying to melee fight a enemy is extremely tough. Its easier than as a mage though. It just feels like the balance is off right now. Maybe thats how they want it to be and i will get stronger while they stay the same. There are some real weak enemies to like the monkeys and rhinos ect. But i assumed this was like a ME or DA where bad guys got harder as u progressed....maybe thats not really the case?? i dont know

I came to another sidequest last night where i am to find some runes for a forger. I go in this cave and 1 skeleton dude kept beating the shit out of me. with melee i had a chance, but as a mage i had no chance cause i would hit him 10 times and it did nothing to slow him down....maybe i am using the wrong type of spell against skeletons. I have fire, water and air available. but none worked. Plus its dark in there. I have a torch but i cant hold my torch while fighting so as soon as the torch is out i cant see shit

anyways.....i been playing for what seems like a long time now, but really i have only scratched the surface....barely. I am nowhere close to where i expected to be in my knowledge of spells and potions. Plus u have to find and read books to open skills for each class. and i am not finding any of these books to make my guy better

Thanks for the tip Big St3ph3n, I'm hoarding a few skill points, mainly because none of the melee skills look useful, lol.

[quote name='Maynard46']
I came to another sidequest last night where i am to find some runes for a forger. I go in this cave and 1 skeleton dude kept beating the shit out of me. with melee i had a chance, but as a mage i had no chance cause i would hit him 10 times and it did nothing to slow him down....maybe i am using the wrong type of spell against skeletons. I have fire, water and air available. but none worked. Plus its dark in there. [/QUOTE]

Use bludgeoning weapons (though you prolly already knew that). When I first went in there they were raping me, but I came back after a few level ups and it was fine... until I found some giant scorpions that I couldn't seem to do hardly any damage to. Had to hit and run so I could keep letting my health refill.

I've found plenty of vendors with the skill books I "need", but they sell for over 9000 (intentional DBZ reference or coincidence? you decide :D ) gold. Did finally get to the mages guild where I got a book that allows me to stack spell effects, so that's cool.

Despite all my seemingly negative complaints... I freaking love this game! I can't remember the last game I played till 3am, looked at the clock and said "oh shit, when did that happen", and still played more.

[quote name='Zmonkay']
Despite all my seemingly negative complaints... I freaking love this game! I can't remember the last game I played till 3am, looked at the clock and said "oh shit, when did that happen", and still played more.[/QUOTE]

co-sign. its a great game. it has all the things i love from an rpg. the negatives are not an issue for me

are u guys even putting points into strength, health, accuracy...since your playing as a mage? i started out doing that. But i since stopped.
my guy is
health 13
strength 10
Accuracy 6
Willpower 16

plus i also put some points into the warrior tree. i think i have the basic attack and defend skill at level 2 in there.
what about the general type skills on the right of the skill screen? you guys doing anything in there?

i know i can find the item to re-distribute my points, but i am thinking of starting over cause i feel like i wasted some points now. But then again, without melee skills i dont know if i would have made it this far as a mage

found this...

Since these are on the disks already, they all work. Enjoy...

Simply pause the game, and select Enter Bonus Code. Enter the following codes to unlock their respective items.

Anathros Sword: 6770-8976-1634-9490
Axe: 1775-3623-3298-1928
Dragon Armor: 4149-3083-9823-6545
Elexorie Two Handed Sword: 3542-3274-8350-6064
Hammer: 6231-1890-4345-5988
Lucienda Sword: 9122-5287-3591-0927
Scroll- Bonus Map: 6972-5760-7685-8477
Two Handed Hammer: 3654-0091-3399-0994

found this....i saw a discussion on console command. wtf is console command?
here it is.......you want to do this after you loaded and your in-game. apparently u have to do this everytime u play the game. i havnt tried any of it, but people said while a pain, its worth it....u can decide

As long as u DONT use a cheat code, you wont lose achievements/trophies

http://board.zuxxez.com/showthread.php?t=38152
that link has all the info

the quotes below is from people on neogaf

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412757&page=27

For those with the console versions, please note that you have access to the Console Edit Tool. What this is, it allows you to enter cheats and other type of codes to improve the game. I don't condone cheat codes, but the codes to improve gameplay and some graphical tweaks is pretty good idea to do.

For example, when running, the game has blur built in, using the Console Command mode, you can enter a code that eliminates it. Other codes such as reducing fog in the distance, reducing DOF etc.

On the 360 to acceess the mode do the following:

Hold the RB & LB and keep them held
Press in this order the following----> Start, Up D-Dad, Start, Down D-Pad

You have to do this in-game and if done correctly you get a black box accross the screen to enter the commands. If you have a chat pad for the 360 you can just enter them, if not, hit "X" and the on-screen keyboard comes up. Here are a few commands, again these are just graphical commnads, there are cheat ones you can find (I wont post them) as I heard it can turn achievements off. Before anyone asks, yes these are official tweaks and no it wont ruin anything.

One other note, you do have to enter these every time you load your game to play. So once you shut down the system and you begin to play again you have to re-enter the codes. I also advise that you enter these after you get out of the "intro" area of the game since you will be outside and it is easier to tell what these are doing for you. But here are the most common ones that i have used myself.

To remove blur enter: engine.usedof 0
To remove blurrines when running: graph.setfastrunspecialefx 0 0 0.0
To remove the camera from wobblying when running: cam.bank.move 0

These also work for the PS3 version. The above made a big difference when playing the 360 version. There are alot of others as well, but those 3 are the ones that I have used and tested.
Incidentally, to use these on PS3 the code is a little different from the 360 one posted above - you have to (from the main menu) HOLD L1 & R1 then while still holding press, SELECT, D-PAD LEFT, SELECT, D-PAD RIGHT which brings up the on-screen keyboard.

Here's the one's that had the most noticeable effects for me;

cam.bank.move 0 - reduces camera wobble
engine.bloommultiplier 0 - turns off bloom
engine.edgeaablend 0 - forces AA on objects
engine.mblurscale 0 - turns off motion blur
engine.usedof 0 - remove DOF
graph.enablefog 0 - removes fog
graph.setfastrunspecialefx 0 0 0.0 - remove fast running motion blur
Question asked about recommended settings

Yes, here are the one I recommend.

Optional - Depending if you like these effects
Turn Bloom effect Off - (Engine.BloomMultiplier 0)
Turn HDR Bloom Off - (engine.hdr 0)
Turn DOF Off - (Engine.UseDOF 0)
Turn Motion Blur Off - (graph.setfastrunspecialefx 0 0 0.0)
engine.mblurscale 0
engine.mblurintensity 0

Recommended
Turn Fog Off - graph.enablefog 0
Turn Camera Bobbing Off - (cam.bank.move 0)
Turn Edge Blending AA - (engine.edgeaablend 0) (or 0.7 and 0.9)

PS3 Recommendations

engine.mblurscale 0 -> Use to disable motion-blur
engine.mblurintensity 0 -> Use to disable Blur Entirely (works in conjunction with the above command)
graph.setfastrunspecialefx 0 0 0.0 -> Removes blur while running fast

*Keep in mind that removing blur will impact framerate a bit but it's worth it, IMHO.

engine.bloommultiplier 0 -> Turns bloom off
engine.grassuserdistance 0 -> Removes Grass Entirely (can help with framerate)
engine.farplane 1200 -> The number relating to the draw distance. The default is 1200. Try setting it to 800 or 500. Improves framerate though you'll see tons of draw-in at lower numbers.
engine.dstfarplane 6000 -> This should completely turn off far-away rendering, improving the framerate significantly; again, experiment a bit - on PCs default is 6000.
engine.stencilshadows 0 -> This will disable shadows entirely. Again, another help to framerate.
graph.enablefog 0 -> Disable the fog in-game (another framerate booster in some instances)
cam.bank.move 0 -> Remove warbling of cameras as you run (helps reduce your need to vomit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm the console commands are intense. Its basically a way to debug or hack your game. I personally one use it on my main character save, but on a second characted hell yeah. Some of them are cool!

[quote name='Maynard46']but u still need the book to use that card. I am in the same boat as zmonkay.

im getting a bit frustrated with mage abilities. I am playing the beginning missions and side quests so I assume there difficulty falls in line with where a starting player would be. I played and finished the starvation quest last night. Along the path i come across giant ants or those creatures called gorrs or something. As a mage i only have a few spells. Each of which seems to do little damage. Take the Ant for example. I hit him 5 times with a fire bolt, run away so he doesnt hit me, fire 5 more times. rinse/repeat about 4 times. Thats like 20 hits. meanwhile he hits me 3-4 times and i am dead..... the hit and run method isnt exactly stratigic and its kind of lame.

I could see if i was wandering into areas that i shouldnt be. But where i am coming across these enemies is in the course of playing the very first side quest you open in the game.....(for a sidequest its very long...took about 2 hours a gametime to finally finish). I am a level 8 and i am now only sinking points into mage now.

even using my melee setup and trying to melee fight a enemy is extremely tough. Its easier than as a mage though. It just feels like the balance is off right now. Maybe thats how they want it to be and i will get stronger while they stay the same. There are some real weak enemies to like the monkeys and rhinos ect. But i assumed this was like a ME or DA where bad guys got harder as u progressed....maybe thats not really the case?? i dont know

I came to another sidequest last night where i am to find some runes for a forger. I go in this cave and 1 skeleton dude kept beating the shit out of me. with melee i had a chance, but as a mage i had no chance cause i would hit him 10 times and it did nothing to slow him down....maybe i am using the wrong type of spell against skeletons. I have fire, water and air available. but none worked. Plus its dark in there. I have a torch but i cant hold my torch while fighting so as soon as the torch is out i cant see shit

[/QUOTE]

Some of the quests just aren't meant to be done until you reach a higher level. It would be nice if the game color coded quests by difficulty in the journal. I love the no level scaling but don't like wasting time traveling to a quest I just can't complete at my level. Anyway, I think those giant ants are the toughest things you will encounter in the wild in the first area. I am one shotting the werewolf-like Varns at level 24 but the ants still take a few hits.

[quote name='Zmonkay'] I've found plenty of vendors with the skill books I "need", but they sell for over 9000 (intentional DBZ reference or coincidence? you decide :D ) gold. Did finally get to the mages guild where I got a book that allows me to stack spell effects, so that's cool. [/QUOTE]

I've found a lot of skill books just by doing the main quest. One of the main quest givers gave me two books as rewards and then I found several in areas I needed to go.

[quote name='Maynard46']co-sign. its a great game. it has all the things i love from an rpg. the negatives are not an issue for me

are u guys even putting points into strength, health, accuracy...since your playing as a mage? i started out doing that. But i since stopped.
my guy is
health 13
strength 10
Accuracy 6
Willpower 16

plus i also put some points into the warrior tree. i think i have the basic attack and defend skill at level 2 in there.
what about the general type skills on the right of the skill screen? you guys doing anything in there?

i know i can find the item to re-distribute my points, but i am thinking of starting over cause i feel like i wasted some points now. But then again, without melee skills i dont know if i would have made it this far as a mage[/QUOTE]

I think you'll be good putting points into 3 out of the 4 attributes. I put nothing into Willpower and I'm doing fine at level 24.

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']very tempted to pick it up. How does TW2 compare to Dragon Age, Fallout 3/Vegas, KOTOR and Elder Scrolls which are my favorite RPGs[/QUOTE]

Poops on all of that

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']very tempted to pick it up. How does TW2 compare to Dragon Age, Fallout 3/Vegas, KOTOR and Elder Scrolls which are my favorite RPGs[/QUOTE]

Very different from them, but fantastic in it's own right. Closer to Fallout 3 or Oblivion in general terms (ie, open world to explore/quest in) but largely different. Much more about loot, no morality/conversation trees. It also has a much more customizable magic system, which seems pretty reminiscent of recent PC release Magicka (which I really should get around to picking up). I preferred the story in all those games much more than this, but I'm having more fun playing this than I did in Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

Mainly I'd say it depends on what exactly you liked about those games to make them your favorites. If it was the strategic combat of Dragon Age (on PC) or the in depth stories of DA or KOTOR, you're going to be disappointed. If your favorite part of Fallout and Elder Scrolls was exploring and just getting new loot, I think you'll be hooked like I am :D

Edit: can't believe IGN gave it a 6. The reviewer raises many valid points (and a couple dubious ones), but this is why fun factor should be included in scoring. Yes, on a technical level I'd agree this is about a 6, but the enjoyment I've had playing it pushes it to an 8 in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:

different games. tw2 is a massive sandbox style rpg. The land is wide open to explore and its huge.....again, its huge! the numbers of quests is amazing (over300). the crafting system and spell creation system is incredibly deep and fantastic. if you enjoy exploring and looting and the creation options, u will love this game. There is so much to learn about playing the game too, which i really love. Its very complex, but not over the top difficult to learn. It is very overwhelming even more so than a game like DA that also offered alot of variables in its system.

Its got a bunch of mini games and the lock picking is one of my favorite things to do in the game. Load times are unusually fast for any game let alone an rpg. im am amazed that more people havnt praised the quick load times being that people bash games for being slow.

graphically i think it looks excellent. i have no complaints about the graphics. Some animations during conversation or battle can be awkward, but its not a big deal at all.

on the bad side....voice acting can be down right terrible. some times its great, but more often than not its bad. It gets the point across, and you can understand everything...its just dull and sounds like they just hired some guy off the street to record it.
The story, from what i read is also less than great. its your run of the mill hero saves world type of story. But why it takes heat for that when every other game follows that formula is baffling. I have been doing so many other things that i am not really progressing in the story

i picked it up on the kmart deal for $40. I also read yesterday that there is a shortage on this game in the US

If you can enjoy games that have something great to offer behind their flaws, then you will love this game. Other games like that are Sacred 2, Saints Row and Dead Rising.

Two Worlds 2 is keeping me from playing the Dead Space 2 which is just sitting there.

very tempted to pick it up. How does TW2 compare to Dragon Age, Fallout 3/Vegas, KOTOR and Elder Scrolls which are my favorite RPGs

Personally, I strongly disagree with alot of what is said by these other folks, but instead of writing a whole critique again all I can really suggest is that you try it. I don't think you have to worry about getting a game vastly different from the games you mentioned (ie its not a JRPG or anything) so it probably wouldn't hurt to just give it a shot. If you like it, great, and if you don't, well... you might be my best friend ever because I am usually nuts for these kinda games but I am completely baffled how anyone (outside of that whole Deadly Premonition "so bad its good" camp) is enjoying it.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Yep, I wanna say there are 10 save slots IIRC.[/QUOTE]

I'm easily over 50 saves, so I don't think there is a limit. In the early game it is important to save often because there are a lot of enemies that will kill you quickly. Once you get higher you will die much less frequently, so its not as important.

Im so glad to see so much more people are enjoying this game and seeing where i was coming from day one when i picked this up. Thank you CAG's for seeing the beauty in TW2.

idk if this will come to bite me in the ass later, but when breaking into people's houses, they call the guards (provided of course they are home when you break in). The guard then comes and tells you to leave, and if you don't, he'll attack you. However, the guardians aren't actually all that tough (at least at my current level 18 character), so I just kill em and loot the hell outta the rest of the house. Strangely, when I leave the house... nobody knows anything happened and I can rinse and repeat throughout the city...

[quote name='Zmonkay']idk if this will come to bite me in the ass later, but when breaking into people's houses, they call the guards (provided of course they are home when you break in). The guard then comes and tells you to leave, and if you don't, he'll attack you. However, the guardians aren't actually all that tough (at least at my current level 18 character), so I just kill em and loot the hell outta the rest of the house. Strangely, when I leave the house... nobody knows anything happened and I can rinse and repeat throughout the city...[/QUOTE]

There really isn't any consequences for breaking rules other than getting attacked by guards. Even if you wipe out all the guards after you the red sword meter will eventually go down like nothing ever happened.

So I finished the game earlier today after 24+ hours of gameplay with all side quests completed. I was surprised at how much fun I had even with all the glitches and general lack of polish. I think I'm the only guy that likes this game more than Oblivion :whistle2:#

[quote name='knightsdwn']I think I'm the only guy that likes this game more than Oblivion :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Right there with ya!

16+ hrs in (though prolly closer to twice that, as I don't think even time spent in menu counts, and possibly not while lockpicking. I played for 4 hrs last night and the save game time went up ~2...). Still on the second island, but pretty sure I'm close to the end of that chapter.

sounds like we are in about the same area. i am Level 18 and 15 hrs. But more like 25-30 real time hours. im still on the savanah island having just started exploring and questing in hatmandoor and chezen (sp)

the game is a blast. totally exceeding my expectations. probably the best rpg i ever played....DA was/is my #1

Just got to the next island, me likey! Such a nice change from the drab, dull desert setting of Hatmandoor and Cheznadoor. Don't really get the point of
the boat. It's just plain frustrating, and is it even necessary?
. IDK if that's really a spoiler, but just to be safe, lol.

[quote name='Zmonkay'] Don't really get the point of
the boat. It's just plain frustrating, and is it even necessary?
. IDK if that's really a spoiler, but just to be safe, lol.[/QUOTE]

Eh, it's not integral to any significant part of the storyline so I wouldn't think the boat is a spoiler. I tried to navigate the boat to get the third runestone but gave up after five or so minutes of trying to weave the mast back and forth to catch some wind. You know it's time to quit when the seagulls are whizzing by your head lol. I eventually just conjured up a water-walking potion and got the runestone in less time then it took to try and get 50 meters on that stupid boat.

I picked up the Royal Edition of this yesterday. Gamestop has it marked down to $60.

I actually got it for the PS3, thinking that patches would be more quickly released for that system.

The schwag is kinda crap, but I wanted to play this anyway. I made my character last night and passed the tutorial missions. I plan to get into it this weekend.

bread's done
Back