Two years later, TRU clearance = 1600% return on investment

TechVW

CAGiversary!
About two years ago, Toys R Us had a clearance sale where a ton of games were being sold for $9.98. I picked up Digital Devil Saga for PS2. I got it because it normally retails for over $50. I thought I could at least turn around and sell it for that much to cover the other games I bought. Well, I just held on to it, sealed, and kinda forgot about it.

I just sold it on eBay, buy-it-now, for $160!

I priced it based on what I saw it going for in the past month. I think I could have squeezed out a little more, but I'm happy. Should I have held on to it for longer? I can't imagine the desire for it would go up that much more.

Now when the wife scolds me for buying games, I can just tell her it pays for itself! (not really, but it does make me feel better).

Very nice! Everytime TRU has a clearance, I'm always looking for those couple of games that I can get for a steal and turn around and sell them for WAY more than I paid. Congrats and cheers!

Thats great. I still have a sealed one, I sold all my sealed Nocturnes already. I need to decided when I want to get rid of my DDS Deluxe set.

Still got mine sealed as well from the sale (after Price adj from TRU I only paid about 6-7 for it)

Sold of a few of the 90% off games I kept sealed for years, alot of them solf for upwards of 10 times what I paid for them, so Ive been happy

I'm torn here. You see, I bought DDS from a local TRU a mere week before the clearance. The last copy in town as I recall. At first I was upset that I had missed out on such a deal, but then I realized that, had I hesitated, I probably would have missed out entirely. I bought the game to play it (I enjoyed it very much thank you), not to hoard it away so that I could sell it to some chump willing to pay through the nose for it. (One wonders if your buyer is going to play it, or is he hoping to score a big ROI himself.) Anyway, in the end I was glad that the last copy in Toledo ended up with someone who actually wanted the game, even if I didn't get a deal on it.

But that's just one man's opinion. Great score there OP. :)

[quote name='CaoPi']atlus games are always low printed I don't even see persona 3 on gamestop's site no more.....[/quote]
Atlus hates gamers. They know everyone's aware they print small as hell copies yet keep doing it anyways. Pricks. :cry:

[quote name='Tsukento']Atlus hates gamers. They know everyone's aware they print small as hell copies yet keep doing it anyways. Pricks. :cry:[/quote]

Try they are a smaller manufacturer compared to a company like squaresoft and they cant afford to have thousands of unsold games gathering dust. There are never any shortages of their games around launch and they keep making more as long as their is demand.

What is the rarest Atlus game out there?

There are other rare games out there, but since they're not a rpg, they don't go for much.

[quote name='Brian9824']There are never any shortages of their games around launch and they keep making more as long as their is demand.[/QUOTE]

Since people are willing to pay $160 for copies on eBay, I'd say there is a demand.

I thought DDS1 was a fairly good game, but part 2 was just more of the same. I got somewhere in the last dungeon... I feel I really should beat it before I move on to Devil Summoner some time next year.

[quote name='kleptoix']nice score, how much is nocturne going for sealed? I think I have one here somewhere.....[/QUOTE]
I sold two of these for $125 each about a year ago. Seems like the price is still around that.

[quote name='Tsukento']Atlus hates gamers. They know everyone's aware they print small as hell copies yet keep doing it anyways. Pricks. :cry:[/quote]

Which makes their stance on ebay "Ninjas" even more confusing.

I picked up Madden 2006 a few years ago and am hoping to do the same thing. Video games are like houses. They appreciate well.

[quote name='munch']I picked up Madden 2006 a few years ago and am hoping to do the same thing. Video games are like houses. They appreciate well.[/QUOTE]
LOL!!

Most of you bite on those low print runs, don't you? Some of the games are WORTHLESS. Only a few of the titles go for big bucks, and the other ones suck. Nobody can 100% accurately predict what will happen.

It's smart business. By keeping the print runs low, Atlus creates demand for its products. Unlike Working Designs, Altus has a much better handle of how to conduct themselves with little resources (although their clout has been increasing steadily since the original Disgaea).

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Since people are willing to pay $160 for copies on eBay, I'd say there is a demand.[/quote]

People paying $160 want a sealed copy for their collection and if they were to reprint the game the value would plummet and they wouldnt pay $160. Just because a handful of collectors with too much money are willing to shell out $160 doesnt mean theres enough demand to reprint a game.

...I wish I would have known of this site back then....I've been trying to find a decent price on these games (DDS/Nocturne) and not having much luck....

[quote name='Allnatural']I'm torn here. You see, I bought DDS from a local TRU a mere week before the clearance. The last copy in town as I recall. At first I was upset that I had missed out on such a deal, but then I realized that, had I hesitated, I probably would have missed out entirely. I bought the game to play it (I enjoyed it very much thank you), not to hoard it away so that I could sell it to some chump willing to pay through the nose for it. (One wonders if your buyer is going to play it, or is he hoping to score a big ROI himself.) Anyway, in the end I was glad that the last copy in Toledo ended up with someone who actually wanted the game, even if I didn't get a deal on it.

But that's just one man's opinion. Great score there OP. :)[/QUOTE]

If you bought it a week before that clearance (like I did) you could have gotten the price adjustment

As for me, I dont collect my games thinking I will have some treasure trove... I nuy games I want to play... getting around to playing them is another story... everyone has his/her adddictions and I am glad one of mine is ny collecting games instead of smoking or drinking. And it IS nice to know some of my games can be sold later on at profit if I never get around to playing them, considering I spend most of my free time at the park jogging or at the gym (another addiction) my time for gaming is limited

I still have one of these that I had gotten for my GF but she decided she didnt want it and its sitting there collecting dust.

[quote name='opportunity777']Most of you bite on those low print runs, don't you? Some of the games are WORTHLESS. Only a few of the titles go for big bucks, and the other ones suck. Nobody can 100% accurately predict what will happen.

It's smart business. By keeping the print runs low, Atlus creates demand for its products. Unlike Working Designs, Altus has a much better handle of how to conduct themselves with little resources (although their clout has been increasing steadily since the original Disgaea).[/QUOTE]
Atlus is not the small publisher that everyone thinks. First they have the chance to bring over any game from Atlus Japan, a big company in Japan. They are able to release games on just about any system. Over the last 2 years they released more games than Atlus Japan or Square Enix. If NISA, a smaller publisher can afford to have penty of copies when their games drop to $20, Atlus can afford to do the same ting.

i sold all 4 of my FF XI w/ 40gb HDD in 2 weeks! i bought them for $11.86 at CC and sold them from $99 to $120. i also sold my DDR Mario Mix sealed for $230 (i could have sold it for more) i got from sears recently for $21.97. everything is about video games this holiday!

[quote name='munch']I picked up Madden 2006 a few years ago and am hoping to do the same thing. Video games are like houses. They appreciate well.[/quote]
you should be lucky to sell it for more than $1.

bread's done
Back