U Broke My Sista's Face! FIGHTING THREAD XLV!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It blows my mind that people can be good enough to play in the finals for more than one game.

I need to see if anyone at Radford plays fighting games. As far as I know the weekly "game nights" consist of Guitar Hero and CoD4. I should just haul my PS2 over there and start playing something.

[quote name='kristianator']justin wong coming from the losers brackets to beat chunk in marvel grand finals 5-1

god dammit.. next year norcal[/QUOTE]

lol I was playing Justin in Marvel at a tournament in Virginia one time and he almost perfected me :(

It was funny to cause I blew away the first 3 people I played... he's so good

[quote name='kainzero']hahahha bs

that guy is from SD
he just reps norcal 'cause there's no one in SD that plays CvS2 =)[/quote]

Out of respect to him, I didn't wanna put SD, cuz you know, he's a lil bitch about that shit... lol.

So Evo...hot damn. Most fun I've had in a long time. Can't wait until next year. Watching J-Wo win 2 sets in a row to win MvC2 was amazing.

I did horribly in CvS2, but better than I expected, which is nice. Same with Brawl, too. I got to one match before the semis, then I had to fight some guy who I was playing all day in Brawl friendlies, and he wins one out of nowhere. Lame. Still, it was all a nice learning experience, and I'll make sure to keep practicing in Brawl and CvS2. Combofiend congratulated me, since he saw my last game, which was extremely close. He said I should invest in an arcade stick, and I told him I would, if I had the money.

Tatsunoko v. Capcom is fun, but Chun-Li is way broken. I mean, she can take out teams by herself because her combos are way too powerful. She also has her air Lvl. 3, which does half health by itself, along with 1/3 health damage airial raves. Yatterman is fun, but his supers are awful. Alex is fun, thanks to his semi-infinite Stun Gun Headbutt combo.

Street Fighter 4 is fun, but I kept facing a Zangief who was running the machine the entire day. Invincible EX Piledrivers are no fun.

All this, plus a $1000 MvC2 money match, made this one of the best weekends ever.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. J-Wo entered every game except Tekken. The only game he ultra-scrubbed out in was Brawl.

Alright, I really want to get into this whole fighting game thing. What are some older "classics" I can pick up for 10 or 20 bucks?

Systems I have:
PS2
N64
PS3
PC (and I have an adapter for my 360 controller)
DS

In one of the older threads we had a list going on for fighting games available for systems (started with PS1), but yea, maybe we should finish those lists?

[quote name='MarkMan']Out of respect to him, I didn't wanna put SD, cuz you know, he's a lil bitch about that shit... lol.[/quote]
hahah

i remember when i got my HRAP from you, he kept asking me to get one for him.

and i'm like, man. go ask him yourself, markman's cool
but he never did

PS2:

Virtua Fighter 4: Evo
Capcom vs SNK 2
Guilty Gear X2 (I like it more than Accent Core)
Alpha Anthology
Anniversary Collection

360:
Virtua Fighter 5
Soul Calibur IV

[quote name='depascal22']PS2:

Virtua Fighter 4: Evo
Capcom vs SNK 2
Guilty Gear X2 (I like it more than Accent Core)
Alpha Anthology
Anniversary Collection

360:
Virtua Fighter 5
Soul Calibur IV[/quote]

Thanks. I'll look for CSV2 and Anniversary when I go pick up SC4.

[quote name='MarkMan']In one of the older threads we had a list going on for fighting games available for systems (started with PS1), but yea, maybe we should finish those lists?[/quote]

which one? we've done so many I'm lost now.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']So Evo...hot damn. Most fun I've had in a long time. Can't wait until next year. [/QUOTE]

J-Wong is a beast.

I'm glad to hear you had fun and are encouraged to get better. I notice with a lot of non-competitive fighting game players, they can go either way after playing competitively. Either they get discouraged because they believe they can never get to a competitive level, or they are encouraged and play non-stop.

I know a friend of mine who wanted to learn CVS2 and I wanted to teach him. I took him to MGL and he got a little scared watching all the guys there play. Problem is he is too concerned with looking "scrubby" in front of the main arcades around NorCal, that he ends up not wanting to play/learn.

Also Beef, good sticks aren't expensive depending on what system you have most of your fighting games for. Theres the T5 stick for PS2, though it's getting hard to find now. For DC it's a little harder, since the Agetec ("The Green Goblin" that I brought over when we played CVS2) is still in high demand.

Though I have to encourage for competitive play, investing in a good 'cade stick for practice as well as for console tournaments, does wonders.

I don't worry about appearing scrubby in front of other people. I know that I'm at least good enough to take someone to their last character, which is good enough for me. I only wish my goddamn copy of CvS2 for the PS2 had come in before EVO. fucking GameCrazy, I'll never special order from the again. I ordered the game a month ago, and i haven't gotten it. All I've gotten were excuses and explanations for why it wasn't in yet.

Once I have more money (Vegas is good at draining wallets), then I'll look around for a stick, and that'll be when I ask the thread what I should be looking for.

I wanted to play J-Wo in Brawl badly, but he wasn't in my pool. I was hoping to knock him out of the tournament. It is the one game, at least at this point in time, that I would be able to beat him in. From what I hear, he really likes Brawl, but he doesn't know how to play with items at all.

Outta curiosity, am I the only one who plays "arcade style" when I have to use a gamepad? when I'm playing VF5, for example, I'll use the d-pad normally, but I'll have my right hand on the buttons like it's an arcade stick rather than a standard game. I think I might be crazy.

[quote name='Chacrana']Outta curiosity, am I the only one who plays "arcade style" when I have to use a gamepad? when I'm playing VF5, for example, I'll use the d-pad normally, but I'll have my right hand on the buttons like it's an arcade stick rather than a standard game. I think I might be crazy.[/quote]
Nah, most good people at 3D fighters play like that if they play pad. It's easier to hit two buttons like that.

Oh man, Mr. Beef, you didn't have an arcade stick?
No wonder it was so hard for you to learn RC. Once you pick up a stick you'll get it down; although given all the crazy fighting games coming out this year and next, there might not be any more CvS2 anyway.

I don't like looking scrubby either, but I only feel scrubby if I don't have enough practice. I can get worked really bad but I only feel bad if I don't know what's going on... which is usually never, so that's alright.

It was a combination of trying to learn RC on a pad, and not getting nearly enough practice as I wanted. And either way, I'm sure there'll be a CvS2 side tourney next year if the rumors about it not being there in next year's lineup are true.

I'd think CVS 2 would get the cut next... if Guilty Gear got took out this year, then it just seems like the logical progression.

I want Blaz Blue.

I want BlazBlue so fucking bad.

I did have a T5 and Green Goblin for sale, but I sold the T5 stick and I dedided to mod the GG. Then the paint decided to melt itself or whatever and now I need to give it a paint thinner bath. Still haven't picked any up, but I've been rocking my Sanwa Namco stick, so all's well.

BlazBlue looks fucking gorgeous. I didn't get a chance to play it because the line was too long, but I did get to see it in action. Beautiful. I want to play a newer test version of Tatsunoko, with a nerfed Chun-Li.

I wish I'd have kept my wii so I could have practiced to be competetive at brawl. Too bad they took out doc and fucked mario.

I was pretty good at Melee. Nowhere near pro, but no one I knew personally could be me. Never got into the wavedashing and shit.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']It was a combination of trying to learn RC on a pad, and not getting nearly enough practice as I wanted. And either way, I'm sure there'll be a CvS2 side tourney next year if the rumors about it not being there in next year's lineup are true.[/QUOTE]

Definitely have a feeling that CVS2 is on it's way out. Regardless of rumors, the games just take too long in a tournament setting and there doesn't seem any new players out there competing. If I'm not mistaken BAS mentioned that he wouldn't be playing CVS2 much in the near future.

It'll still be my favorite fighting game though and probably the one I'm best at. I took a while learning that game inside and out (RC'ing, frames, etc) and I'm not about to say goodbye :)

As everyone has mentioned I'm excited for next year. Lots of new games, lots of learning, lots of excitement. It should bring a completely new breath of fresh air to FG scenes across the country.

It's funny cuz BAS said this would be his last tournament because he doesn't feel challenged anymore.

IN YO FACE

U S A U S A U S A

[quote name='DarthPuma']I wish I'd have kept my wii so I could have practiced to be competetive at brawl. Too bad they took out doc and fucked mario.

I was pretty good at Melee. Nowhere near pro, but no one I knew personally could be me. Never got into the wavedashing and shit.[/quote]Squirtle plays a lot like Doc, you know. Same crazy back-airs, same juggling nonsense, plus an amazing up-smash. Trust me, i used to main Doc too.

[quote name='asianxcore']As everyone has mentioned I'm excited for next year. Lots of new games, lots of learning, lots of excitement. It should bring a completely new breath of fresh air to FG scenes across the country.[/quote]
I hope to see some FG threaders there next year. And if you were there...sorry. Didn't see ya.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']I hope to see some FG threaders there next year. And if you were there...sorry. Didn't see ya.[/QUOTE]
I'm going next year for sure. Not going to enter or anything, since I'm not that good.

Or maybe I'll just play CvS2 until I'm good, then I can bow out in the first match. ;)

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Squirtle plays a lot like Doc, you know. Same crazy back-airs, same juggling nonsense, plus an amazing up-smash. Trust me, i used to main Doc too.

I hope to see some FG threaders there next year. And if you were there...sorry. Didn't see ya.[/quote]

Wow, now I wish I could go back and play it again lol. I never played with the Trainer much, just tried to learn pit.

Played some matches with Jimbo Foley in SC IV on the 360. I thought the game was noticeably better than on the PS3.

The graphics seemed a bit sharper, for whatever reason, and it's odd, but the characters just blended with the backgrounds better. It's a bit hard to describe. I didn't notice any slowdown, so I'll take that as a good sign.

Some people on caliburforums were talking about how the ps3 version seemed to have some minor input lag, and I thought it was bullshit. But after playing those 20 matches, it seems accurate... character movement felt a tad more responsive, and it felt easier to get out of the way of certain attacks.

Muy interesante.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']still PS3 version is win for me due to controls alone.[/quote]

Yes, this and control compatibility (arcade sticks/converters)... this makes me choose to play the PS3 version more over my 360 version.

Amy's surprisingly fun to play as... I went ahead and unlocked the characters (which I never did prior to today, for whatever reason) and yeah, I definitely wanna try and learn this bitch.

[quote name='Chacrana']Played some matches with Jimbo Foley in SC IV on the 360. I thought the game was noticeably better than on the PS3.

The graphics seemed a bit sharper, for whatever reason, and it's odd, but the characters just blended with the backgrounds better. It's a bit hard to describe. I didn't notice any slowdown, so I'll take that as a good sign.

Some people on caliburforums were talking about how the ps3 version seemed to have some minor input lag, and I thought it was bullshit. But after playing those 20 matches, it seems accurate... character movement felt a tad more responsive, and it felt easier to get out of the way of certain attacks.

Muy interesante.[/QUOTE]

I've heard that certain move properties were different on the PS3 version as well, such as moves completely whiffing at point blank range.

Yeah, that's what MM was saying. I didn't notice that, so I have no idea if it's true or not, and I don't have the PS3 version anymore to compare to, unfortunately.

Cervy 2A+B doesn't whiff on the 360 version as much as the PS3 version. I should know I whore that shit like it's free vag night.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']PS3 Cervy is Nerfed, you know why? Cuz PS3 Firmware keeps Pirates from entering.[/quote]

LOL! Good one!

Street Fighter Alpha coming out on PSN this Thurs.

[quote name='MarkMan']LOL! Good one!

Street Fighter Alpha coming out on PSN this Thurs.[/quote]

finally... I've been requesting it for so long ever since it was rated by the ESRB...

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Now I want the 360 SCIV. Higher res and no slowdown? Time to build that 360 stick that I've been meaning to.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I didn't break the fuck outta that controller just so you could let it sit there! :lol:

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Now I want the 360 SCIV. Higher res and no slowdown? Time to build that 360 stick that I've been meaning to.[/QUOTE]

i still need to actually get it...i want it on ps3 since i may be selling my 360 soon but it seems that everyone is going 360...hmm

[quote name='Chacrana']Yeah, I didn't break the fuck outta that controller just so you could let it sit there! :lol:[/QUOTE]
I think it will be going inside of my Agetec Green Goblin with some new parts too. I don't think it will fit inside my Namco stick. :)

[quote name='refusedchaos']i still need to actually get it...i want it on ps3 since i may be selling my 360 soon but it seems that everyone is going 360...hmm[/QUOTE]

I'm holding onto my PS3 version until I get some hands on time with the 360 version. I might just rent it next weekend for $2 to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back