U2 wants in on the Rock Band craze

I doubt they'd get the full Beatle-esque treatment. They aren't that legendary. I could see a greatest hits DLC kind of thing, but thats it.

[quote name='bardockkun']Well I don't hate U2...I Just...

Well...

They're U2. I Don't care.[/QUOTE]

Sums up my feelings pretty well. I don't think U2 really transcended generations like the Beatles did.

Maybe they should produce something resembling rock music before trying to get into a rock music video game.

I'd definitely buy it for sure. I like the Beatles, but have no interest in their rock band game.

Just saw U2 last night and had a blast.

i LOVE U2 and i will say if they give U2 the Beatles treatment i will finally waste my money on the big rockband set up. last time i bought a game like that was GH3. make it happen harmonix and U2

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']I doubt they'd get the full Beatle-esque treatment. They aren't that legendary. I could see a greatest hits DLC kind of thing, but thats it.[/QUOTE]

Nobody's The Beatles. Whether you like them or not, U2 has been one of the most successful musical acts in the world for three straight decades and are tremendously popular.

Their recent album was terrible, and in general their latter efforts have been lackluster at best, but The Joshua Tree is still undoubtedly one of the best rock albums ever made, and the rest of their early work is just as strong.

My biggest fear if they get a game would be that it'd be just too much of their newer stuff.

Don't agree with that either. I though No Line on the Horizon was damn good, and have enjoyed the recent albums. They're not as good as Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree, but still damn good albums IMO.

I'm not sure why all the hate for U2. Of course nobody can match the universal appeal of the Beatles. However, U2 would seem to be a logical step for Harmonix if they want to continue with band specific games. They have broad appeal, an interesting history, and a huge song-list to pull from. That being said... there are other bands that might prove to be a better fit.

I'd imagine that some of the proceeds from sales would go to charity.

[quote name='evyrew']I'm not sure why all the hate for U2. Of course nobody can match the universal appeal of the Beatles. However, U2 would seem to be a logical step for Harmonix if they want to continue with band specific games. They have broad appeal, an interesting history, and a huge song-list to pull from. That being said... there are other bands that might prove to be a better fit.

I'd imagine that some of the proceeds from sales would go to charity.[/QUOTE]
Because they're not the logical step. Led Zeppelin and Queen are two off hand I can think of that makes more sense.

No more band games are needed after The Beatles: Rock Band. Activision is realizing the futility of that style of game with the way they've treated Van Halen (releasing days before Xmas and using it to boost the appeal of GH5), so Harmonix and Activision needs to stick with AC/DC-style track packs that can be imported into the main game if not just the normal DLC packs and albums that don't require extra discs.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No more band games are needed after The Beatles: Rock Band. Activision is realizing the futility of that style of game with the way they've treated Van Halen (releasing days before Xmas and using it to boost the appeal of GH5), so Harmonix and Activision needs to stick with AC/DC-style track packs that can be imported into the main game if not just the normal DLC packs and albums that don't require extra discs.[/QUOTE]

The Beatles were an exception, but even the Beatles bundles may stutter soon.
Sales of The Beatles: Rock Band Exceed Expectations

U2 bundles? Not a good idea.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Don't agree with that either. I though No Line on the Horizon was damn good, and have enjoyed the recent albums. They're not as good as Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree, but still damn good albums IMO.[/QUOTE]

I wish that were true. I tried really hard to like No Line on the Horizon, but I just couldn't find much redeeming value. It's one of the only CDs I've actually purchased of late, and I regretted it immensely. There were several songs I liked off their last album, and I thought All That You Can't Leave Behind was underrated, but even a longtime U2 fan like me couldn't find much redeeming value in the latest stinking pile of turd. Just my $.02.

U2 does not deserve their own game.

Rock Band Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin (Althought theres no way that's happening :(), or Guns N'Roses would work a lot better.

[quote name='Cheapass24']U2 does not deserve their own game.

Rock Band Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin (Althought theres no way that's happening :(), or Guns N'Roses would work a lot better.[/QUOTE]

Guns 'n Roses doesn't really have an extensive enough catalog to justify a full Rock Band game. Nor, sadly, does Jimi Hendrix.

Bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Who, and to a lesser extent the Doors (and, yes, U2) are the sorts of bands with rich and deep enough catalogs to justify full adaptations, though none of those will likely ever happen.

No real point in arguing these things.

Nothing comes of it as people just want their favorite bands to get games, or lots of DLC etc.

Rock band just needs to get more full albums in the game and worry less on full band games is probably the way to give more people what they want.

I can't complain as Pearl Jam was my main want and they've got two full albums, a few bonus songs and a game or big DLC project coming out.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No more band games are needed after The Beatles: Rock Band. Activision is realizing the futility of that style of game with the way they've treated Van Halen (releasing days before Xmas and using it to boost the appeal of GH5), so Harmonix and Activision needs to stick with AC/DC-style track packs that can be imported into the main game if not just the normal DLC packs and albums that don't require extra discs.[/QUOTE]

+1. STOP RELEASING STAND ALONE BAND GAMES.

Also, U2 has sucked balls since 1991. They had a pretty good run with War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby but most of the stuff after that is meh. I wouldn't mind seeing any or all of those albums as DLC for Rock Band though.

I absolutely love U2. Then again, I can't say I'd be willing to spend a ton of money for the Rock Band set. I'm tempted enough by Rock Band Beatles as it is, and I don't want this to push me over the edge.

I wouldn't get the full set for any band as I only like playing the guitar parts. So I just play rock band with the Guitar Hero 2 & 3 guitars I already had.

bread's done
Back