Ubisoft PC Sale

I believe this is the second time Ubisoft has run this promotion. I still can't understand why Far Cry is still $5 after all this time; If the game dropped to a reasonable $2.50, I'd grab it. (Sorry to be obnoxious, but I've seen Far Cry for $5 far too many times over the past 3 years. Each time, I pass because the game's just getting older and older.)

Come on, Ubisoft, give Valve the go ahead for $2.50; It's been 6 years now.

These are the best deals I've seen by far for Settlers 7 Gold Edition and Dawn of Discovery Gold. I'd get out my wallet if this were on Steam.

[quote name='Gosford']These are the best deals I've seen by far for Settlers 7 Gold Edition and Dawn of Discovery Gold. I'd get out my wallet if this were on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't Settlers 7 use the Ubicrap always online DRM? Why then would you buy it on Steam? All you're doing is adding another layer of DRM.

[quote name='mogamer']Doesn't Settlers 7 use the Ubicrap always online DRM? Why then would you buy it on Steam? All you're doing is adding another layer of DRM.[/QUOTE]

While Steam is technically DRM, it's so incredibly convenient I can't believe you actually consider it a negative.

[quote name='WebScud']While Steam is technically DRM, it's so incredibly convenient I can't believe you actually consider it a negative.[/QUOTE]

By itself, Steam isn't bad. But there's no reason to combine it with any other application. Because you now have two sources of potential problems. Same thing with GFWL. If a game forces that on you (thankfully less and less games are doing this), then you don't need to stack anything else on top of it.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Isn't there a free, ad-supported version of Far Cry 1 out on the web somewhere?[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure that was a limited time thing that they stopped doing a year or so ago.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Isn't there a free, ad-supported version of Far Cry 1 out on the web somewhere?[/QUOTE]

It played a mcdonald's commercial, in its entirety BEFORE every level loaded. IT was not a good plan.

Free FarCry ad-supported version is still hosted at GamersHell. Here's a link if you want it. I don't have enough credentials to post links, but search Gamershell. It's there.

[quote name='jlfrank83']Free FarCry ad-supported version is still hosted at GamersHell. Here's a link if you want it. I don't have enough credentials to post links, but search Gamershell. It's there.[/QUOTE]

It's there, but you need to register for a type of account that is no longer supported (or provided).

[quote name='hordak']Is Avatar worth $10? (And btw, the ad-supported trial of Ubisoft games was around for a very short period of time.) :)[/QUOTE]

My wife had the PS3 version and it certainly wasn't. The controls were incredibly wonky, and if they're that bad on a console, I strongly suspect they're worse on what was inevitably a shoddy port.

Like the movie, it was pretty to look at but shallow.

[quote name='mogamer']Doesn't Settlers 7 use the Ubicrap always online DRM? Why then would you buy it on Steam? All you're doing is adding another layer of DRM.[/QUOTE]

Short answer: yes. Settlers 7, AC 2, and Silent Hunter 5 all have the new DRM. Frankly, I suspect that's why we're seeing price drops already on these titles.

I might be tempted to pick up some of the older titles that don't have this unfortunate DRM.

bread's done
Back