Ubisoft posts 46.9 million in losses

bil4ltool

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162838.html?tag=latestnews;title;0

This is absolute bullshit! The fact that a company that puts out consistent high quality games like Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, and PoP loses this much money, and shady developers like EA put out a huge percentage of absolute crap (i.e. every Madden game) makes money because of the sheep mainstream gamers. It really does upset me. I would hate for such an awesome publisher to go down because idiots will buy the biggest thing even if it sucks. I hope they can recover from this.

[quote name='bil4ltool']http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162838.html?tag=latestnews;title;0

This is absolute bullshit! The fact that a company that puts out consistent high quality games like Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, and PoP loses this much money, and shady developers like EA put out a huge percentage of absolute crap (i.e. every Madden game) makes money because of the sheep mainstream gamers. It really does upset me. I would hate for such an awesome publisher to go down because idiots will buy the biggest thing even if it sucks. I hope they can recover from this.[/QUOTE]

Ubisoft doesn't cater to "sheep mainstream gamers"?

this is karma for not finishing the BG+E trilogy! which would've bumped their losses up even more, but whatever!

Those numbers were for sales between April and September, traditionally slow sales periods for games. They should post a profit for their next 6 mo period, cos it will include the Wii & PS3 launches.

[quote name='Apossum']
this is karma for not finishing the BG+E trilogy! which would've bumped their losses up even more, but whatever![/QUOTE]

:rofl: PREACH IT BROTHA!

From the article:
"That said, the company did drop a cool 27 million euros ($35.9 million) to acquire the rights to the Driver and Far Cry licenses."

Slow quarter + $36 million on licenses. I'm surprised their losses aren't higher, to be honest.

I'm guessing that we'll see drastically improved revenue during the second half of their fiscal year.

[quote name='bil4ltool']http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162838.html?tag=latestnews;title;0

This is absolute bullshit! The fact that a company that puts out consistent high quality games like Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, and PoP loses this much money, and shady developers like EA put out a huge percentage of absolute crap (i.e. every Madden game) makes money because of the sheep mainstream gamers. It really does upset me. I would hate for such an awesome publisher to go down because idiots will buy the biggest thing even if it sucks. I hope they can recover from this.[/quote]

FYI - EA owns a HUGE chunk of Ubisoft IIRC (something like 40%). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though...

They didn't really put out much besides Advanced Warfighter in those six months. You can't expect one big title to save you when you pile on developing/marketing costs for all the games they've rolled out since fairly recently (it's alot of games in a short period) where probably adding into that half and the costs to obtain licenses like those mentioned above. All in all, it's not that bad. With more games out and what's looking to be failry strong sales of more than just one title they'll likely bounce back well in the 2nd half of their fiscal year.

It's the end of a lifecycle of two consoles. Everyone is typically down at this time in the game. In fact, it seems like only EA and Nintendo (maybe Microsoft too) will post a profit this time around.

This is absolute bullshit! The fact that a company that puts out consistent high quality games like Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, and PoP loses this much money, and shady developers like EA put out a huge percentage of absolute crap (i.e. every Madden game) makes money because of the sheep mainstream gamers. It really does upset me. I would hate for such an awesome publisher to go down because idiots will buy the biggest thing even if it sucks. I hope they can recover from this.[/QUOTE]

Ubi puts out a LOT of shitty games. Yeah, they have quite a few good ones like the Splinter Cell games, but Ubi usually cares about doing well on one or two systems when they develop their games. That means that you get a good edition of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory on the Xbox while the PS2, GC, GBA, Cell Phone, DS, NGAGE, and Lynx versions are all dumbed down pieces of shit.

[quote name='rendil']From the article:
"That said, the company did drop a cool 27 million euros ($35.9 million) to acquire the rights to the Driver and Far Cry licenses."

Slow quarter + $36 million on licenses. I'm surprised their losses aren't higher, to be honest.

I'm guessing that we'll see drastically improved revenue during the second half of their fiscal year.[/QUOTE]
why the hell would anyone pay that much for the Driver license? The series hasn't had a good game since PS1. Also, I thought they owned the rights to far cry...

what the hell?!?!? I am really, really starting to get pissed off as RE4 keeps on being pushed back more and more now EBgames says 3/2007!!! At this point it is starting to feel like Duke Nukem Forever.

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']why the hell would anyone pay that much for the Driver license? The series hasn't had a good game since PS1. Also, I thought they owned the rights to far cry...[/quote]
Parallel Lines was a pretty good game.

Anyway, why is the OP surprised? Ubisofts puts out plenty of crap titles that the Tom Clancy games can't recoup losses for. Did he expect And 1 Basketball and Open Season to sell like hotcakes and that purchasing game rights were cheap?

They'll do better for the next half of 06, but probably not as well with their misses in their large Wii launch offerings.

bread's done
Back