UFC Release's former Champion

StealOfADeal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Dana White confirmed today that former WEC Bantamweight Champion & UFC Bantamweight fighter Miguel Torres was released from the organization after tweeting what is said to a quote from "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" referring a "Rape Van" as a "Surprise Van", the original Tweet from Torres was "If a rape van was called a surprise van, more women wouldn't mind going for rides in them. Everyone likes surprises."

Dana White cut Torres saying along the lines that he had "no excuse or defense" for Torres and that if Torres finds that to be a joke, he is sick. White said "I find it disturbing".

Torres may have been an example as he posted this particular tweet a month after Former UFC Light Heavyweight & Ultimate Fighter 1 winner Forrest Griffin made a Rape Joke on twitter and the tweet of Torres came less than 24 hours after another Former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad Evans told his opponent from this Saturday in a Fox Press Conference for the event that "He would put his hands on him worse than the Penn State Coach" (This is in reference to the opponent Phil Davis having been a former Penn State Wrestler).

The UFC seems to be having troubles with it's fighters outlandish behavior. With the Fox deal set for 2 years, White has said that this will be the "most important 24 months" for the sport. With the fighters & company both being in a larger main stream spotlight, this is not the best step.

My thoughts personally, Torres is a rough example but was warranted and good to see Dana putting a foot down. With Rashad 'having apologized' for his behavior and saying what he did 'in the heat of the moment', I would expect his #1 Contender fight to push him back a tad. That was much worse than quoting a shows questionable dialogue to me personally.

Considering most of the fans are drunk guys with tons of tattoos who wear Tapout and Ed Hardy, I doubt the comments offended anyone.

Tells you the hierarchy of UFC when Forrest and Rashad make similar comments without Dana batting an eye.

bread's done
Back