Ugh...I repaired then destroyed my PS3 in one night

wishlish

CAGiversary!
A few weeks ago, we had a power surge that overwhelmed my power strip. My PC and PS3 were damaged. I replaced my PC (it was on its last legs anyway), and tried to figure out what to do with my PS3. I decided that it made sense to both buy a new PS3 (I bought Amazon's Move Bundle) and try to repair the old one. If I did this, at worst I could transfer data from the old to the new, and at best, if I could repair the old one before opening the new one, I could return the new one.

I bought a used power supply, and got to work. Surprisingly, I did replace the power supply successfully, and was in the process of putting the screws back, when one dropped into the case (one of the small ones at the front). Unforturnately, while trying to fish that out...I turned the unit upside down, not realizing the Blu Ray drive was only supported by adhesive. It came off, and the part that secures it to the motherboard was damaged beyond repair. I could still transfer data to the new one (which took a ton of time!), but that was it. Since it's no good- the drive is damaged, and the plastic broke too- I'm just going to recycle it with the old PC.

My new PS3 is working great, so I guess that's a win, but man, I was so close to repairing the old unit successfully that I have a bad taste in my mouth over the whole thing.

Buy a UPS device and when not using the PS3 unplug it (The UPS from the socket).

I've been running my consoles and my computer on a APC UPS for about 7 years now, as much as we get brownouts, surges, and blackouts where I live I wouldn't do anything less, plus it makes for a better option than letting your electronic devices get fried for no good reason other than not wanting to spend $10 for a decent power strip that offers no protection whatsoever.

[quote name='wishlish']
I bought a used power supply, and got to work. Surprisingly, I did replace the power supply successfully, an was in the process of putting the screws back, when one dropped into the case (one of the small ones at the front). Unforturnately, while trying to fish that out...I turned the unit upside down, not realizing the Blu Ray drive was only supported by adhesive. It came off, and the part that secures it to the motherboard was damaged beyond repair. I could still transfer data to the new one (which took a ton of time!), but that was it. Since it's no good- the drive is damaged, and the plastic broke too.[/QUOTE]

durp.

[quote name='uncle5555']Buy a UPS device and when not using the PS3 unplug it (The UPS from the socket).

I've been running my consoles and my computer on a APC UPS for about 7 years now, as much as we get brownouts, surges, and blackouts where I live I wouldn't do anything less, plus it makes for a better option than letting your electronic devices get fried for no good reason other than not wanting to spend $10 for a decent power strip that offers no protection whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

I've been doing this since last year - it's already saved me a lot of aggravation several times.

You should have bought a Monster's home theater surge protector. They come with a life time surge protection warranty for anything that's connected to it. There is a limit on the amount but that number is high enough to not matter for most people.

You should just trade it in to Gamestop or sell it on eBay. It's not alot of credit/cash for a busted PS3, but it's better than nothing.

Could it still work as a hacked ps3? I don't support that, but if it could, you could probably still get a good amount for it on ebay or whatever

Call Sony's repair line first. It's not cheap but I think they'll fix pretty much any type of damage for $180 or give you the option to get a refurb system. It's not much but it's might be a cheaper option than buying new and involves fewer risks than buying a used system (since you get a warranty from Sony for all repairs/refurbs- 30 or 90 days, can't remember which).

[quote name='laaj']You should have bought a Monster's home theater surge protector. They come with a life time surge protection warranty for anything that's connected to it. There is a limit on the amount but that number is high enough to not matter for most people.[/QUOTE]

Nearly all name brand surge protectors offer similar protection up to some ridiculous amount (I've never seen one under $20K)... the only difference is that Monster tends to be overpriced.

bread's done
Back