UK game rental services

John

Administrator
Staff member
Feedback
10 (100%)
I'm thinking about doing a feature on game rental services, what are your favourites/experiences with delivery times/selection/game priorities? Thanks!

Used to use Game.co.uk rentals good turn around times but they never have new games in.
Now i use Boomerangrentals.co.uk good turn around huge selection and always have new games through my door release date or the day after (Not bad considering im not mainland) Competetive prices.

I use LOVEFiLM for my game rentals. £10 for four games a month isn't too bad! Plus, if you have been a customer for a while you get film credits and gift cards to give to your friends or family. Their selection is pretty good, have a lot of the new games available to rent from day of release -- you also get to reserve the game so you can get it before anyone else. They use first class post for delivery, usually takes a day or two and often they dispatch on the day you decided to rent a game.

I just go to Blockbuster, they always have the latest game and it's only £6.50 to have it for a week, and they do a great deal 4 for £10. They come with the original box and manual, and as long as you get there at a reasonable time your almost guaranteed a game on release day. They get a bad wrap, but I love Blockbuster.

Another vote for game, here. Excellent value for money, despite high-profile launch titles taking a while to dispatch.

I was with LoveFilm for a while and had about 30 games on my list at any one time. I would always get my 20-30th choice, never my first choices which were often new releases. But shipping was fast, it was cheap and i can just hold on to the game until i finish it. The selection was excellent too.

[quote name='TheToiletDuck']I was with LoveFilm for a while and had about 30 games on my list at any one time. I would always get my 20-30th choice, never my first choices which were often new releases. But shipping was fast, it was cheap and i can just hold on to the game until i finish it. The selection was excellent too.[/QUOTE]

This is the problem I had with them too. Maybe not as bad as you with such low choices but I rarely ever got a new release. The only time I can remember getting one even close to release was Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 which I got the April after it was released (in January).

With Lovefilm, no issues with their service even when PO lost a disc on return, it was a painless process.

As for the 'new release' issue, I heard the same issue with Gamefly in the US (why's he cracking on about a US site!!!!), which was the reason I went looking for a similar rental service in the UK.

Same advice podcasters were giving out for gamefly, simply put, don't have 30 games in your queue at a time, I usually keep 10 and all pretty recent, sometimes lower, and quite often get the releases swiftly; I'm not talking day/date, but within a couple of weeks.

i use lovefilm, and i normally have 5 titles as high priority, and 5 titles as medium, then others as low. i have only ever gotten a low priority title once, and when i did, it was shadow of the colossus, which is quite a rare title. so from my experience, pick 10 titles you want, and rate them as high and medium priority, and you will always get them. and they always have loads of freebies and competitions etc. i pay £15 a month, and that is for two discs at a time, with unlimited rentals, and that is for access to the entire library, games, dvds and blu-rays. i really recommend it and have also gotten a mate to join, which got me a free month!

i also got alpha protocol on day of release, however it sucked so hard i sent it back before i even got a trophy on it, it was that bad lol, but still good to get a new title on release date.

edit: I'm trying to use paragraphs but when I hit post it deletes them and puts it as a wall of text, sorry. I've been a member of lovefilm for about 10 months now. I cannot really fault the service, the delivery of my next game is always very fast, between sending an finished game and recieving the next one is usually only 2-4 working days. Like others have said the best thing to do is not add too many games to your rental list, I usually have about 10 on my list with maybe 2-3 set as high priority and the others all medium. When I have games set as high priority it is vary rare I'll be sent two games in a row and not recieve at least one of the titles I list as high priority. Quite a number of times I have recieved newly released games once I sent my finished game back, off the top of my head these include Tekken 6, Assasins Creed 2, Dark Void, Lost PLanet 2, Gow of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, Silent Hill, Shattered Memories and Dead Space Extraction. A couple of those may have been a week or two after release but they were sent to me as soon as I sent a game back. All listed high priority at the time though. Some of them I got the day of release. I'm on the 4 games per month/2 at a time subscription, I pay for 5 months in advance to get a month free. The only downside is that unused rentals don't carry over to the next month, so if in month one I only rent 2 games, I don't get to rent 6 games in month two, always 4 per month.

You guys seriously need to try boomerang they have a 21 day free trial. I always get the new releases i want.

Boomerang - I use the cheapest £3.50 package that has 1 game per month, and almost always get a game from the top 3 of my rental list which normally has 10 games in it. Customer service is also quick to reply to emails.

I use Lovefilm. If you want the latest games, just keep a short list. And I mean literally just have one or two things on it.

[quote name='SirStuie']Boomerang - I use the cheapest £3.50 package that has 1 game per month, and almost always get a game from the top 3 of my rental list which normally has 10 games in it. Customer service is also quick to reply to emails.[/QUOTE]

I tried Boomerang - I put quite a few games in my list and after 5 days nothing had been sent... ended up cancelling within my free trial. Maybe I was unlucky?

[quote name='John']I tried Boomerang - I put quite a few games in my list and after 5 days nothing had been sent... ended up cancelling within my free trial. Maybe I was unlucky?[/QUOTE]
Really what status?

[quote name='John']I tried Boomerang - I put quite a few games in my list and after 5 days nothing had been sent... ended up cancelling within my free trial. Maybe I was unlucky?[/QUOTE]

Very unlucky. If I had a lot of games on my list I would be sending an angry email after a days wait.

bread's done
Back