Ultima Online

yester

CAGiversary!
Anyone playing it (still?)?
I am trying out right now (on trial). If you did, did you like it?

i think i tried it many years ago (its an iso game like diablo with open pvp right?) i strolled around town, leveled up a bit, and was then killed over and over and over by lightning bolts. i would probably find it fun now, but then i just rage quit.

I actually played this a long time ago when my college had free accounts for an entire floor (Compute Interest Floor) and it was fun. When I graduated and came home I found no one that I knew into it and I left it alone. Very surprised it's not f2p. I will check out the free trial.

[quote name='n25philly']I tried it years ago, and it is still one of the worst games I've ever played[/QUOTE]

How so?

I stopped playing probably around 2003 when EA began really fucking with everything. Before then the game was awesome and I put in hundreds upon hundreds of hours. It's probably my most played game by far, but it's been too long to remember.

The game has some really good concepts that I love and no MMO has picked up or been able to replicate. It's kind of sad, but that's the way it goes I guess.

I started playing the game in 1998 before UO:Renaissance came out. When I started their was no Trammel (no non-consensual PvP). Everyone played in what is now known as Felucca. Felucca had non-consensual PvP and thieves that could steal from you. That to me was the best time during the game. The game had a strong sense of community and there was a real sense of accomplishment. Some of my greatest gaming memories and online friends came from this time period.

As time progressed after Renaissance launched more and more people abandoned Felucca and just stayed in Trammel so the population became fractured and the sense of community was starting to fade.

2001 brought the release of the new lands of Ilshenar and a 3D client. The 3D client was horrible though and the only way to access Ilshenar was to use that client.

2002 brought the release of Lord Blackthorns Revenge. This made it so Ilshenar could be accessed through the 2D client.

2003 brought the beginning of the end of my UO career with Age of Shadows. This gave the game a more Diabloesque equipment system. Before AoS you could easily PvP and be competitive with without putting in a huge investment (time and money) into gear if you were skilled. After AoS though gear was more important than skill to a degree.

I quit the game around 2004/2005. I returned to the game in 2009 for shits and giggles to see how things had changed. I barely recognized the game anymore but I was greeted by some familiar faces that had stuck with the game through the years.

UO is my favorite game of all time but the magic that I had experienced with the game in the early days is gone. I would suggest playing on the Siege Perilous shard though. It has a more "hardcore" rule set to it but when I played last it also had one if not the best communities in the game. I would say though that starting out in UO now must be very very hard since the game has been running for 15 years.

naturally, i hate paying for a game on a regular basis (reason i hate MS), but i remember UO even though i never actually played it.

I downloaded WoW before and its graphically very appealing but got turned off as you did your first task which was killing tigers and all i have seen is people around me doing the very same thing. Quite a turn off.

Then i went to UO, it is graphically different but not bad. Though i don't know the originally game as a MMORPG it reminded me off the old Ultima games. But i have to admit that i never really got in to the realm. I think i played 5 & 6.

Right now i am going a little in the MUD area. Its free so its good :) But if i know someone that plays, i am interested to exchange maybe some info.

The only fear i have is that i play to much on one game. Because i know that happend to me as i played CSS. I had to let it go.

Anyway, its nice to hear people talking about.

btw. you start off as a single character but how do you join a guild (isn't it a goal?) and how do you know its a good guild?

[quote name='yester']you start off as a single character but how do you join a guild (isn't it a goal?) and how do you know its a good guild?[/QUOTE]

UO really has no goals outside of what goals you set for yourself. As far as joining a guild goes you are either invited to join one or you can ask to join one. To tell if it is a good guild is much more difficult. I would suggest going to uo.stratics.com and checking out the forums there for your specific shard to kind of get a feel for what each guild is about.

Man, I guess I quit in early 2002 then after having played four years. It's hard to keep track of what came out when with this game being so old. I always forget that WoW released in 2004, lol.

[quote name='Draekon']Man, I guess I quit in early 2002 then after having played four years. It's hard to keep track of what came out when with this game being so old. I always forget that WoW released in 2004, lol.[/QUOTE]

A roommate and I who had spent time mudding together played UO on its early release, it was after we'd graduated and moved out into the real world (1997). I don't see how anyone who played UO can recall anything except the constant PKs.

I just didn't see much in UO, the idea was self-policing would be the way to Order, and it didn't work out at all, it was a lot of cutthroat bullshit. It was amazing griefing, there was no fun in it at all. It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I didn't get to another MMO until WoW.

The comparison of WoW with UO is natural for me, then. I liked that in WoW I was able to engage with others without getting all my shit thieved and being stabbed repeatedly. Even on a dedicated PvP server, the expanse of the game world still gave you places to run and hide if you didn't want to engage in combat. People talk about the problems with early WoW (all there was to do once you were level capped was raid faction cities while you waited for new content), but at least there was a way to interact with the community and the game world beyond not dying.

UO was a necessary step, I'm sure, but the experience itself sucked balls.

[quote name='dothog']A roommate and I who had spent time mudding together played UO on its early release, it was after we'd graduated and moved out into the real world (1997). I don't see how anyone who played UO can recall anything except the constant PKs.

I just didn't see much in UO, the idea was self-policing would be the way to Order, and it didn't work out at all, it was a lot of cutthroat bullshit. It was amazing griefing, there was no fun in it at all. It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I didn't get to another MMO until WoW.

The comparison of WoW with UO is natural for me, then. I liked that in WoW I was able to engage with others without getting all my shit thieved and being stabbed repeatedly. Even on a dedicated PvP server, the expanse of the game world still gave you places to run and hide if you didn't want to engage in combat. People talk about the problems with early WoW (all there was to do once you were level capped was raid faction cities while you waited for new content), but at least there was a way to interact with the community and the game world beyond not dying.

UO was a necessary step, I'm sure, but the experience itself sucked balls.[/QUOTE]

I didn't run into PKs very often actually and when I did, I would just move to another equally good area for a while. Eventually around the time I quit I became one, but not due to griefing other players. It was because idiots kept being idiotic and I couldn't resist the urge to kill a few. At which point, I was the one being hunted by people every time they saw me. Which in its own right was pretty fun as I had a very consistent husband and wife duo that I would encounter on occasion and we never managed to kill each other until one time when myself and a friend finally emerged victorious after a grueling 30 minute battle where they finally ran out of reagents. Since they seemed to be good sports about it, I revived them and gave them reagents to head back and didn't really take anything of importance outside of their ability to continue the fight.

Another time while I was red before I quit, I would often farm money at the nearby graveyard to pass time. Met some dude who ran away from me a few times and wanted to farm in the same spot I was. We spoke a bit and then encountered a guy who brought his guild and I wiped out their entire guild, which was very amusing since it was like 12 people versus 1 while the other guy I was speaking with/farming with just sat there and watched in amazement.

When I wasn't a PK for the last couple months, I spent time just heading to some of the more dangerous areas killing dragons, demons and such. Would also explore some other dungeons to famous farming spots like the skeleton knight room in deceit (I think it was?). I would of course kill any PKs that were hostile and just be an all-around non-jackass to people wanting to play the game in peace.

One other thing I remember but death as PK can result in skill loss. So you didn't see very many skilled PKs. I don't remember when it was added/removed/whatever, however I know it was there for a time because I had quit when my 7xGM turned PK due to idiots and then asshole used a bug to kill/revive me over and over while I was away in my house. I was pretty fucking pissed to say the least.

Losing items wasn't really an issue as nothing was extremely rare of difficult to obtain. I had tons of of vanquishing items I obtained from farming demons/dragons and didn't mind losing any of them. It was a fun place to explore, buy housing and boats and just do random shit.

[quote name='Megazell']How so?[/QUOTE]

It was a pain to play, or rather it was quite unplayable. While I didn't wait until all the new games with the fancy graphics came around to try it, I did come around when there were plenty of much better options available. Jumped in for a free trial and after a few days of going WTF? I just gave up on it.

[quote name='Draekon']Man, I guess I quit in early 2002 then after having played four years. It's hard to keep track of what came out when with this game being so old. I always forget that WoW released in 2004, lol.[/QUOTE]

WoW was the first MMO though so not possible.

Ahhh the good old troll comment that pisses people off. :D

[quote name='strikeratt']WoW was the first MMO though so not possible.

Ahhh the good old troll comment that pisses people off. :D[/QUOTE]

After a while you get used to it. Though UO isn't necessarily the first MMO either. Depending how you look at it, you can predate Meridian 59 with all that AOL crap and MUDs.

[quote name='Draekon']After a while you get used to it. Though UO isn't necessarily the first MMO either. Depending how you look at it, you can predate Meridian 59 with all that AOL crap and MUDs.[/QUOTE]

Man MUDs like TORG were my favorite gaming experience ever. When images and 2D were introduced into it...it was MIND EXPLOSION.

bread's done
Back