Ultimate Warrior memorial wrestling thread 1959-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
So all you have to say for yourself is that I'm a prick, and an asshole, and a suck my dick gif?

How old are you, breh? You start shit and the second anyone tells you to fuck off, you try to play the victim, to a bunch of people who don't give a fuck about you. 

Yes, I'm a prick, and an asshole sometimes. But at the end of the day, I'm okay with that. I doubt you can say the same when you sit alone staring at the computer screen thinking of ways you can show your imaginary friends how funny you are and how you sure showed us.

#WWE2K15 launches on 10/28, internationally 10/31 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
This is welcome news, as I just read the rumor mill the other day about how it was apparently "being delayed until Wrestlemania". Thankfully that isn't true, as I'm pretty excited at the thought of the next gen wrasslin' titles.

Seems like it's a joint effort between Yukes and Visual Concepts.  Hopefully the first step in the process of pushing Yukes out.

I have no problem with Yuke's developing the game as they've shown with the Wrestle Kingdom and Day of Reckoning games that they can push good stuff out. This engine is just WAY TOO OLD and limited to do much with now. It wasn't the best engine to use in its down and now here we are with a PS1 engine being used IN THE ERA OF THE PS4. Well in theory - they might be going with a new engine for this, or at least using the DoR engine.

The WWE Universe mode has been awful for a long time. The AI booking and feud progression makes little to no sense and it feels tacked on as all hell.

This last game's huge feature was the "Beat the Sreak" mode and reliving classic moments. UGH. I don't want to play a game that has results I HAVE ALREADY SEEN. Give me something new. Give me multiple unique story modes or something. The multiple character slots for what, 3-4 versions of guys like HHH were insane.

I'd love to see a storyline that revolves around a jobber and/or a mid-card talent who simply hasn't grabbed the brass ring. Rise him through the ranks and have him on a hunt for a new manager or tag partner to get him the push he needs. Perhaps a storyline where you play as a manager and make critical choices for the superstar you are managing besides getting involved in matches? 

Needless to say I got bored quickly and went back to getting my ass kicked in Virtual Pro Wrestling 2.  Let's hope this new game does good things.

Sad news regarding Scott Hall:

There Is Reportedly Major Concern Over The Health Of Scott Hall

Oh no...

Scott Hall and his son Cody were scheduled to appear at an event last week in California. Scott texted promoter Kirk White and told him that he "was in a dark place", unable to get out of bed and would not be at the event. Cody, DDP and Hall's agent Bill Behrens tried to get him to go but he refused and said he couldn't.

There is said to be some concern over his condition after he missed the event. The promoter paid Hall $1,600 in advance, a 50% deposit, then received the text that Hall would not be there the day he was scheduled to fly from Atlanta to California.

Behrens issued the following statement to White: "I regret that Scott Hall decided last minute he would not make the trip from Atlanta with his son Cody to Big Time Wrestling's Wrestlefest and wrestling event. His son, Cody Hall, Dallas page and myself all tried to change his mind but he could not get past the personal issues that had him unwilling to travel to California. Kirk, you are a true professional who goes out of his way to deliver what he promotes and promises. I hope the fans who attend WrestleFest and that evening's wrestling event do not feel shortchanged by Scott's decision. I am confident all who attend will have a great time. I believe it is Scott Hall's loss to have missed this opportunity to meet his many fans and to see his son Cody wrestle for the first time in California. I am sure in time he will come to regret his decision, if he has not already."

There isn't much known about Hall's condition at this time. Jake Roberts recently said on Roddy Piper's podcast that he is "very concerned" with Hall.

Credit: The Wrestling Observer via Wrestlezone

Last edited by a moderator:
Beat the Streak is probably my favorite overall mode in 2K14, in large part because of how cheap it is. I once beat 'Taker with Virgil though - THAT RULED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jehCQq6vHNY

I vowed to beat The Undertaker with the first random selection the CPU gave me. Of course I'd get stuck with Heath Slater. It only took me about 10 tries and a case of beer.

I tried Fire Pro on Dreamcast, but it was all Japanese, so I didn't give it much of a chance. 

I legit beat Undertaker the first time I fought him, but I've been playing Smackdown games for damn near 20 years now. I never even tried to pin him. I must of gave him a good 20 or so finishers and it took like a half hour but I eventually made him tap out. 

Have any of you ever put any time into Fire Pro Wrestling for PS2? Opinions?
I REALLY enjoyed it but I'm an idiot regarding such things; transferring downloaded wrestlers and ring patterns to my memory card felt like a huge pain. SO many things you can do in that game though. I don't know if it was just my copy or what but the menu graphics were really jumpy and glitchy looking.

I seriously had the most fun WATCHING the CPU, believe it or not. Such chaos when there are 4 or more on the screen at once.

Fire Pro takes practice but it's legit amazing. I'm good enough at this point that I can beat the CPU at level 10 although that requires full concentration to pull off. At the start though it was rough. If you're used to button mashing in other games you will lose every single time.

If the game detects you mashing it will immediately lock you out of picking a grapple move and allow the other player / CPU to nail you. Strikes are distance based so if you're not approximately in the right spot you will miss your strikes every single time. And even though there are no momentum bars, you just can't hit your finisher right out the gate. You have to weaken your opponent to the point where they're woozy enough that going for a finisher or a heavy attack will work.

The more you play the more you learn and the more fun the game gets. However if you're playing with any kind of input lag on your television watch out. I played on a CRT and a LCD and the ability to win on higher difficulties makes a world of difference based on the input lag. It's a ton of fun but it's also a pretty sterile experience as the matches usually all flow the same. Light Attacks, Medium Attacks, Heavy Attacks, match is over.

I prefer Here Comes The Pain, No Mercy, and Wrestle Kingdom 1 to Fire Pro Wrestling Returns but it's a great way to pass the time if you're feeling up for something more simulation based. Nothing else comes close in that regard. The roster updates by fans also can't be touched. I just recently saw someone who threw up a save with all the most recent up to date federation rosters and it always blows my mind the legs that game has. It's almost ten years old and I can play with the Shield!

This was one of the most counter-productive shows in TNA history. In ONE HOUR, MVP and his...team of black guys with no name beat up the world champ twice, the tag champs, Bully Ray, and Austin Aries. "This is gonna be a long, long night!" - THANK YOU STORM! In 2014, we got a lead heel using a Hebner to try and screw the world champ. Lashley-EY was okay I guess. EY looked like a total chump though. This whole show was like July-September of the NWO beatdowns in one night.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/05/tna-impact-wrestling-5-22-14.html

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/qx39xh078bxelf6rei59q3gfw6eeihd8

As far as FPW goes, Returns is amazing and I've created tons of characters in it in the nearly-seven years that I've owned it. Definitely get Returns on the PS3 as a PS2 classic - it's easier to transfer downloaded saves that way. I can't imagine playing on a save that's not mine though - like No Mercy, I've got it tailored to me. If I ever want to have Ronda Rousey beat A BEAR, I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpdfLkwY3aQ

Happy MVP switched to that all black gear he had tonight.  The red/black one just looked cheap.

They did a good job squandering those last few months of building James Storm up into the meanest son of a bitch in wrestling tonight.  Bet Anderson's punch will make a good .gif though.

Yeah I second everyone else, FirePro is amazing. The community is really active for it too, people are constantly updating the rosters with all the latest wrestlers and even new versions of older guys. The PSN version on PS3 is awesome, such a great game for that price. It's a game you can lose HOURS to and not even think about it. I've even lost hours to the cage fighting which is about as good as any UFC game has ever been haha.

Not much time with the PS2 game specifically, but I played a TON of the DC one (still the only game I've ever imported) which is basically the same thing. It's worth it if you put a little time into it. Some people will tell you "oooh be careful, there's a really steep learning curve" but that's horseshit. It'll take you a little time to get the timing that's necessary down, but it doesn't take that long to figure out. Get your timing down, learn the controls, get a feel for when you can start using the more impactful moves. That's all you need to do for basic play. My first FP experience was on an SNES emulator around 98-99. I had zero instructions on how to play and I was way into it in no time.

You do have to be a little bit careful on switching between Fire Pro games from different generations, as the timing on, say, a Dreamcast or PlayStation 2 game is going to be different from the timing on the GBA game, or the SNES games, or the Saturn game, etc. You can totally approach them all with the same basic strategy though.

People will probably argue what the highlight of the franchise is, but from a pure "look how much stuff is in this game" perspective, the PS2 one is kind of the pinnacle.

At least Storm still has the best theme in TNA.
Best theme in TNA ever was Planet Jarrett, followed closely by Scott Steiner and the original AJ Styles theme, imo.

Also, I'm glad to see you guys finally stop cutting promos on each other. I know this is a wrestling thread, but for fuck's sake.

I know it's a limited audience - the show itself doesn't even get 1 million viewers throughout it anymore. I'm not expecting this thing to skyrocket me to the top of the best-sellers. I made it to make a little bit of money and figured I've got all the material already written - I might as well turn it into a book since size-wise, the content worked for one. I was also motivated after Mother's Day to do SOMETHING when I was told that I was responsible for my mother getting cancer and dying because I was too lazy to drive her to a doctor. Even though I can't drive. And never could due to being completely blind in one eye and having a lot of vision loss in the other.
I apologize if my earlier posts on the book have come across as a jerk or whatever. I'm more concerned about any potential legal issues over the cover you used unless if you somehow got TNA's permission to use that said image. But in regards of the book itself just a thought here but perhaps since you are using this book as a chance to give an overall view of TNA in 2013 perhaps adding some new content that ties things together during the year could be beneficial. Like say added stuff tying together company events that aren't mentioned in the reviews, comparisons to what WWE/ROH/NJPW/DGUSA/etc are doing, etc. While I genuinely enjoy your reviews Jay I also do feel you got some great potential in really making a great book that goes beyond just taking existing reviews and slapping them into a book.

And I'm very sorry about your mom Jay. :(

Since I've largely been a Nintendo-head all my life, I never played FPW. It's deep but I much prefer Virtual Pro Wrestling 2. I'd give that my vote as best wrestling game ever. I was always very curious about Wrestle Kingdom though.

Since I've largely been a Nintendo-head all my life, I never played FPW. It's deep but I much prefer Virtual Pro Wrestling 2. I'd give that my vote as best wrestling game ever. I was always very curious about Wrestle Kingdom though.
I own the physical Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 cart but I'd love to have an english translated ROM to play on my Everdrive 64. Someday hopefully!

I may sound like weirdo but I really liked the season mode in Smackdown 2 for the original Playstation. I hated the WCW games of that era and felt that they stopped having decent games after the N64 days.

VPW2 is definitely one of the best wrestling games I've ever played, but you definitely should give FPW a try. I procrastinated for a long time (over a decade) on playing any of the games in the series, and while it does have a steep learning curve, once you get it down, it is some of the most fun in a wrestling game you'll ever have.

I own the physical Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 cart but I'd love to have an english translated ROM to play on my Everdrive 64. Someday hopefully!

I may sound like weirdo but I really liked the season mode in Smackdown 2 for the original Playstation. I hated the WCW games of that era and felt that they stopped having decent games after the N64 days.
Agreed. WCW vs. The World started it all for AKI, didn't it? That game was so fun, even though the modes were very basic. The roster was pretty impressive for it's time.

Agreed. WCW vs. The World started it all for AKI, didn't it? That game was so fun, even though the modes were very basic. The roster was pretty impressive for it's time.
Yeah that game was awesome. The best part though was the messed up characters, if I remember correctly The Giant was supposed to be the WCW one (obviously) but the character model was clearly 100% Andre the Giant lol. He had a giant afro and everything!

WCW vs. nWo: World Tour was the first great wrestling game in my opinion apart from WWF Wrestlefest. Every other game released in North America was pretty horrid apart from the Smackdown series. I never got much into WCW vs. The World but the 4 player option in World Tour was as much fun as anything I've ever played. 

Yep. Slam Masters was awesome. Half the reason I liked Brodus Clay at first was that he looked like a rejected character from that roster.

Although now I'm just depressed thinking about how Slam Masters 2 was some halfassed fighting game rather than a follow up to the way the first game played.

$_35.JPG

This was the very first wrestling game I ever got to play, and man, as a young wrestling fan and gamer i loved it.

$_35.JPG

This was the very first wrestling game I ever got to play, and man, as a young <13 yr old> wrestling fan and gamer i loved it.
I think I beat Masked Andre the Giant (whatever they called him) one time ever. I dunno if I just sucked at the game or if it was that hard.

The best Fire Pro was Six Man Scramble on Sega Saturn. I remember importing that game back in 97 and I was only like 13 or 14 at the time. I had to print out translations which was over 100 pages but it was great times. I own the Fire Pro PSN version on PS3 as well. I downloaded a roster save from one of the Fire Pro fan sites to a USB stick then moved it over to my PS3 and I was good to go.

No love for Saturday Night Slammasters? I hate all of you.
I loved that game but it kinda fell into the same territory as Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game and WWF In Your House.

I cannot tell you how many hours I wasted in my youth playing Pro Wrestling on the NES. I finally beat that game a few years back.

I had fond memories of WWF Raw and WWF Super Wrestlemania; looking back on them now makes me realize they were awful button mashers.

The WCW Super Nintendo game was so weird, the selection screen made me laugh. What was it with WCW and the wacky wrestler selection screens?

^^^ fuck, forgot about GG2k. Good game, not really like anything else. In a way the control was kind of like the PS1 era War Zone and Attitude, but executed a thousand times better than those two mediocre games. Not to mention GG2k has the best in game announcer ever. By far.

$_35.JPG

This was the very first wrestling game I ever got to play, and man, as a young <13 yr old> wrestling fan and gamer i loved it.
I used to rent this game from the grocery store (remember when seemingly every grocery store and gas station had a VHS and NES rental section?). I sucked at it, but it was fun being able to pick your moveset before the match began.

Thanks for all of the responses. Hopefully at some point fairly soon I can put in some time on Fire Pro.

220px-Tecmo_World_Wrestling.jpg

This is th best wrestling game ever.
I put in ridiculous hours on that game when I was a kid. I had never heard of a northern lights suplex until I played this game. The ring crew definitely needed to tighten the ropes on that cover though.

Thanks for all of the responses. Hopefully at some point fairly soon I can put in some time on Fire Pro.

I put in ridiculous hours on that game when I was a kid. I had never heard of a northern lights suplex until I played this game. The ring crew definitely needed to tighten the ropes on that cover though.
For years I called it the "Northern Right Suplex" because of that game (which fell victim to the Japan to English L and R swap). One of the nerdiest things I've probably ever done was write the entire wiki page for Tecmo World Wrestling on Giant Bomb...and then create individual character pages for the entire roster.

I used to rent this game from the grocery store (remember when seemingly every grocery store and gas station had a VHS and NES rental section?). I sucked at it, but it was fun being able to pick your moveset before the match began.
those were the good old days. staying up to 4am playing the nes ....

man i miss those days

I had some fun playing WCW Superbrawl before I discovered WWF Royal Rumble and WWF RAW on Super Nintendo. Like night and day.

I had some fun playing WCW Superbrawl before I discovered WWF Royal Rumble and WWF RAW on Super Nintendo. Like night and day.
I still to this day play both of these on emulator, so frickin good. I wish I had as much fun playing today's games as I do all these old classics. WWF Steel Cage Challenge was the first wrestling game I ever played.....and man did I play the shit outta that lol.

I played a lot of wrestling games (WWF Monday Night RAW on SNES actually got me into wrestling) but the first one that really blew me away was WCW vs. nWo World Tour. I feel like gameplay wise there's nothing on that level of unpredictable yet realistic fun.

Man, I feel too young, I think my first wrestling game was Days of Reckoning or Smackdown vs Raw.

Oh, R.I.P. the times which almost every single wrestling game was good.

Aww man y'all had to send me down memory lane tatanku razor Ramon and lex Luger. Those were my guys on royal rumble SNES, really that was one game I could play with every character just so I could do their special move. I've hated almost every wrestling game that came out after that besides WCW vs. N.W.O. and wrestlemania on N64 those were the standards I was looking for on every game but they just couldn't live up to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back