Ultimate Warrior memorial wrestling thread 1959-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never even played the Gamecube WWE games aside from Wrestlemania ... 18?

WWF Royal Rumble for Dreamcast was such a letdown.

Power Move Pro Wrestling.

Also I didn't know they made a Saturday Night Slam Masters 2. Is it worth tracking down?
If memory serves you'd have to play it via MAME as it never saw a console release. I could be wrong though.

I played a ton of WWF Attitude for Playstation even though I knew it was awful just to see those ridiculous cut scenes.

Okay, what is the WORST wrestling game ever made?

WCW Backstage Assault comes to mind.

Legends of Wrestling was pretty bad, never played any of the sequels. Same story with Backyard Wrestling. I do miss the Def Jam games before they killed the series with Icon. Man what a let down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never even played the Gamecube WWE games aside from Wrestlemania ... 18?

WWF Royal Rumble for Dreamcast was such a letdown.
The Day of Reckoning series was actually really good on Gamecube. DoR 2 might be one of the 5 greatest wrestling games ever made, it's a shame that few people actually played it.

Power Move Pro Wrestling.
Best ring introductions, I'll give it that. Also best Rage Against The Machine soundalike track.

Also I didn't know they made a Saturday Night Slam Masters 2. Is it worth tracking down?
It's an interesting curiosity but the game isn't so hot. For some reason they changed the gameplay to be much more like a 2D fighting game. You're not missing much.

I would have to say the worst wrestling game ever made was Wrestlemania 21 for the original Xbox. The game was so fucking bad, they actually had to recall it to fix how bad it was. I had already bought a copy the day it came out and my god, you guys complain about some of the issues with current releases, this one was 100 times worse. THQ told Gamestop to allow people to return opened copies of the game for a full refund or had them send in the disc in order to get a revamped version.

The worst was that Action Arcade Wrestling game on XBLA Indies. Even at $1 I felt ripped off. Aside from that the worst non indie wrestling game I ever played would have to be either TNA Impact or the Luchadore one that came out a few years ago on the 360; Heroes del Ring, I think it was called.

I would have to say the worst wrestling game ever made was Wrestlemania 21 for the original Xbox. The game was so fucking bad, they actually had to recall it to fix how bad it was. I had already bought a copy the day it came out and my god, you guys complain about some of the issues with current releases, this one was 100 times worse. THQ told Gamestop to allow people to return opened copies of the game for a full refund or had them send in the disc in order to get a revamped version.
I remember that, I bought that game day one also but I can't remember what I did with the disc its been so long ago. I think I might have mailed mine in, I think they did it pretty quick with 2-3 day shipping. For the worst game though I would have to go with WCW Backstage Assault. One of the only wrestling games that doesn't even have a wrestling ring (besides backyard wrestling). The only thing going for it was it did have an awesome roster including Vampiro, Chris Candido, Tank Abbott, Vince Russo, Bam Bam Bigelow and 3 Count.

If memory serves you'd have to play it via MAME as it never saw a console release. I could be wrong though.

I played a ton of WWF Attitude for Playstation even though I knew it was awful just to see those ridiculous cut scenes.

WCW Backstage Assault comes to mind.

Legends of Wrestling was pretty bad, never played any of the sequels. Same story with Backyard Wrestling. I do miss the Def Jam games before they killed the series with Icon. Man what a let down.
Icon was garbage, but Vendetta was fucking awesome. :(

Also,
hMHSY1H.png

It's less wrestling, more Street Fighter in a ring, and that's a bummer but Capcom was always pretty well known for its side scrolling beat-em-ups, so even though it's not terrific it's not awful either. 3 Count Bout is far worse.

I heard nothing but positive things about Def Jam Vendetta -- and yet I have never played it. I guess I'll have to pick it up and give it a go at some point.

Power Move was fantastic - I had that back when it was Toukon Retsuden, and wanted it the second I saw it profiled in Gamefan. It was my first import game ever, while Toukon Retsuden 2 was the second and cost me $100!  I also got Virtual Pro Wrestling 1 on the PS1 then, and lucked out getting VPW 2 complete at a local store, with an import player, for $25. Slam Master 1 is amazing and a perfect blend of the excitement of both wrestling and fighting games. The sequel is a dreadful wrestling-themed 2D fighter that doesn't hold a patch to the original.

Anyone remember when E-Feds were a big thing and they simulated all the matches on Super Fire Pro Wrestling X-Premium? Those were good times though I was always terrible at that game because it was brutally tough.

Anyone remember when E-Feds were a big thing and they simulated all the matches on Super Fire Pro Wrestling X-Premium? Those were good times though I was always terrible at that game because it was brutally tough.
The only e-fed stuff I remember doing when I was a kid was typing out wrestler promos, then reading someone's typed out results.

The Acclaim ECW games were probably the worst for me. 

WCW Nitro at least had those goofy video clips for each guy.

It had good visuals and a nice roster, but "bah gawd" that game was terrible. Even worse than ECW Hardcore Revolution.
After playing World Tour and Revenge on N64, I rented Nitro expecting more greatness. And I remember being like "what. the. fuck."

All this talk about wrestling games makes me want to drag out my N64 even though it looks like doo doo on my TV.

After playing World Tour and Revenge on N64, I rented Nitro expecting more greatness. And I remember being like "what. the. fuck."
Hahaha, this was my exact thought process. I was so excited to find it at the rental store I'd frequent. What an effing turd it was -- and to think it even got a 'sequel'.

Hahaha, this was my exact thought process. I was so excited to find it at the rental store I'd frequent. What an effing turd it was -- and to think it even got a 'sequel'.
I love that someone thought calling a game "WCW Thunder" would in any way entice people to buy it.

i remember people use to make up leagues where you had to pick moves out of a random amount of moves they gave you. Each move had a point to them (like clothesline was 5 points while piledriver was 10) so say player 1 pick line and player 2 picked driver player two would earn 5 points then after 10 rounds whoever had the most points won the match.

there was like 20 moves you could picked from. might sound stupid now but it was fun for its time

WWF Wrestlemania Challenge on NES was probably my first WWF game.  The music is still as awesome as I remember...especially the elimination screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO3g3Co4y9g

I always loved when you beat up the ref too much in WWF Raw on the Genesis and he would get fed up, walk out on the match, and eventually DQ'd you.  Although I just googled and apparently you could make him stand on the outside and still ref it.

Wrestlemania on NES

Any non N64 wCw game, including the ones on the NES

Any Acclaim wrestling game

WWF Raw on Xbox

The home versions of the Arcade Wrestlemania or whatever it was called

This thread pretty much says how bad RAW tonight was. I only watched about 10 minutes of it (if that) which featured Damien Sandow pretending to be Davey Crockett up against Adam Rose... which was just bad. I then flipped over to Fox Sports 1 after hearing Jim Ross was calling some boxing matches tonight. Didn't even bother to flip back to RAW. 

Before we get completely away from the wrestling games discussion I have to give one last honorable mention to WWE All-Stars.  NO ONE played it I don't think but that game was a frickin blast, not much of a single player career or anything but just the act of playing matches was awesome.  Just a really fun arcade experience with a pretty decent roster as well. 

All-Stars was really fun. It plays better with a controller IMO so I'm still not sure why MadCatz released joysticks alongside it, but I really did love playing that both online and local co-op. Macho Man and Kofi Kingston were my two favorites on there.

Before we get completely away from the wrestling games discussion I have to give one last honorable mention to WWE All-Stars. NO ONE played it I don't think but that game was a frickin blast, not much of a single player career or anything but just the act of playing matches was awesome. Just a really fun arcade experience with a pretty decent roster as well.
Unfortunately the MP servers were shut off with the THQ sale and 2K didn't keep them going b/c of its low sales. You can still get the extra character DLC though.

I honestly enjoyed WWE Legends of Wrestlemania. The legend models looked far better there than in any other game, here's hoping for a sequel. I know it's a long shot but I'd love to see a WCW Legends or ECW Legends game.  

Explains why they threw the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer onto the end of Raw last night.  Hopefully we get solo Brotista back for the next round.

Seemed like he was at least putting in the effort to get himself back to where he was with the decent amount of TV matches he was having.

As missed as Warrior will be by his fans moments like those are why many downright hated the guy.
Andre wouldn't have put a guy over like that unless he agreed to it. Kayfabe wise, since the bell never rang, it wasn't an official match so Warrior looks like a beast and Andre doesn't officially lose. And, if you go back to the previous MSG house show match, Andre pulled Danny Davis in front of him when Warrior was charging, causing a DQ. So, with Davis throwing Heenan out before the match even started, you could even argue that Davis had a vendetta with Andre which is why he screwed Andre as a little payback. Tunney should have re-suspended him for life for it ;)

Sami Zayn (El Generico) earns HHH's respect. As an indie fan this is all kinds of mind-blowing to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgRH-4LmUMg

Andre wouldn't have put a guy over like that unless he agreed to it. Kayfabe wise, since the bell never rang, it wasn't an official match so Warrior looks like a beast and Andre doesn't officially lose. And, if you go back to the previous MSG house show match, Andre pulled Danny Davis in front of him when Warrior was charging, causing a DQ. So, with Davis throwing Heenan out before the match even started, you could even argue that Davis had a vendetta with Andre which is why he screwed Andre as a little payback. Tunney should have re-suspended him for life for it ;)
I understand what you are saying. Andre had his issues but he did "play ball" when asked and help put some key guys over in his later years. I just loathe squash matches I guess. I suppose it could have been worse.

Regarding Andre selling the title: I wish that they had allowed Dibiase to win the tournament they held afterward via more bribery to capture the WWF title and had Savage chase him for the belt even though Savage winning was an awesome moment.

Holy shit! Natalya and Charlotte put on a four star classic on NXT. Easily the best women's match I've seen in the last two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back