Ultimate Warrior memorial wrestling thread 1959-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Network is playing Cena vs Lesnar from Extreme Rules 2012. I remember loving this match when I watched it live on the PPV, and it still holds up. The finish still pisses me off like maybe no other I've ever seen, but the match is great. This might be Cole's best work as a wrestling announcer.

1FyAMel.png

I WIN LOL

Just wtf was with that opener for Raw?  They tried to do a promo, but all it seemed to me that it was is a commercial for the WWE Network.  I get that they need to boost subscriber numbers, although that came off as a pathetic attempt to shill the network on TV.  It also would annoy me if I was a subscriber too and possibly cancel due to the way they're whoring out the Network.

Just wtf was with that opener for Raw? They tried to do a promo, but all it seemed to me that it was is a commercial for the WWE Network. I get that they need to boost subscriber numbers, although that came off as a pathetic attempt to shill the network on TV. It also would annoy me if I was a subscriber too and possibly cancel due to the way they're whoring out the Network.
If you were a subscriber you couldve been watching wrestling when it was good, and not listening to the schilling during the current shitty product WWE puts out.

Thoughts after Raw. Obvious spoilers

God the $9.99 thing is cheesy. I feel like the WWE is just a corporate souless beast despite being owned and ran mostly by one family. I understand they are a bussiness, and a publicly traded one at that. But I just feel pretty much every descion from the produc they put out to charity to interviews are about nothing but the bottom line anymore.

Kane should be made a part timer like Lesnar, Taker or Jericho. He basically is serving the same function as these guys now, very high level jobber. Wouldnt it be better to let Kane get some rest and just wrestle a few big matches a year? As it is I feel they have just killed any of the "Monster" in the guy. When was the last time he was a serious threat? Won a big match? It is paining me to see one of my favs from my teen years turn into the Kofi Kingston of the top division.

I continue to have no interest in Summer Slam. I feel I know the outcomes for most of the matches already and even where I am unsure of who wins, I frankly still dont give a shit. I feel that I probably got more enjoyment rewatching Wrestlemania X today then I will from a brand new product in Summer Slam. It says a lot about how stale their product is today vs how good it COULD be.

Painting Brock as a Mercanary seemed stupid at first to me. However they did a really good job in the first promo of painting him as a guy who has bounced around seeking fame and fortune wherever he can cause destruction. Cena did a halfway decent job for a change too acting like he knew a beating was comig.

I wish they would do something better with Damian Sandow. If he isnt stuck in the mid card forever, he will be soon. I think he could have been so great given how well he has done with the horrible material creative seems to be slopping his way.

Grrrraaahhh! Why couldnt they have just let Adam Rose be Leo Kruger, or have made him Wyatts personal body guard or SOMETHING other then just making him a poor mans Santino.

All I want for my BIrthday is Lana to sing to me in Russian......in the shower with me magically as the sponge she is scrubbing with.

I really disliked Dean Ambrose before the shield broke up, but i have been REALLY impressed with his work since the split. I feel like he was really overselling being crrazy/off, but since the split he has tuned it down enough to make it much more believable. He is starting to remind me a bit of cross of Ravens measured insanity and Bryan Pilmans(sp?) over the top nuts which is a good thing ;) It helps that they have given him some amazing material to work with(Ambrose/Rollins has been one of the few great parts of the last few months)

OMG the CM Punk chants RIGHT when Brie Bella was talking about all the people that Steph has abused and mistreated were so loud and perfectly timed. I am impressed Steph and HHH didndt react at all(though I wish they had showed their faces RIGHT when the chants started). Best part of the show!

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved a lot of the old LJN wrestling games. I still to this day play both WWF Raw and WWF Royal Rumble for snes. You people are whack.
O man the WWF Royal Rumble game on the SNES is still my fav wrestling game. That, Mario Kart and Looney Toons Basketball (screw NBA Jam I want to shoot a basketball with a magnet or toss a pie in someones face!) were the trifecta of competitive childhood gaming in my neighborhood ;)

I don't know about that. Watching some of the 1993-1994 stuff is hard to stomach. As they get into 1995 and onward it gets slightly better.
Whaaaat ??

Bastion Booger, Ludvig Borga, The Lex Express.....the Macho Midget !!!

Every ep is pure gold :D

Whaaaat ??

Bastion Booger, Ludvig Borga, The Lex Express.....the Macho Midget !!!

Every ep is pure gold :D
Problem is that most of those guys just would face some loca.l college wrestler they paid $150 to get in the ring(or Matt and Jeff Hardy on a cheap night!). I just over the last month have finished rewatching raws from 93 and started on 94, I agree there is gold there (as you said Macho Midget!) but there is a lot of really really outdated crap too.

Anyone watching any NJPW G1 Climax? 

I think this is the point where I finally come around on AJ Styles.  Pretty much every match he's had so far has been great.

Nakamura/Nagata (mostly for Nagata slapping the shit out of Nak repeatedly when he starts showing a little disrespect) and AJ/Suzuki are my favorites so far. 

O man the WWF Royal Rumble game on the SNES is still my fav wrestling game. That, Mario Kart and Looney Toons Basketball (screw NBA Jam I want to shoot a basketball with a magnet or toss a pie in someones face!) were the trifecta of competitive childhood gaming in my neighborhood ;)
WWF Royal Rumble/RAW were both excellent titles. All 4 of these games were must buys when I got my RetroN 5. Enlightening my younger coworkers/friends with Looney Tunes Basketball and the original Mario Kart were priceless experiences. haha

WWF Royal Rumble/RAW were both excellent titles. All 4 of these games were must buys when I got my RetroN 5. Enlightening my younger coworkers/friends with Looney Tunes Basketball and the original Mario Kart were priceless experiences. haha
Ya the Raw game was pretty good too and had some neat mechanics. I am still just a sucker for tossing people into the ropes and with a cheap arm drag flipping them one by one over the top rope. Sigh now I am going to have to go back and replay those. Between that and the watching Raws from 20 years ago I am going to feel like a 13 year old again. Ill have to break out the amazing WCW N64 games when I hit the point it starts airing (I want to wait and watch WCW when it was airing competiting with Raw to compare products).

Anyone watching any NJPW G1 Climax?

I think this is the point where I finally come around on AJ Styles. Pretty much every match he's had so far has been great.

Nakamura/Nagata (mostly for Nagata slapping the shit out of Nak repeatedly when he starts showing a little disrespect) and AJ/Suzuki are my favorites so far.
I'd like to but I'm severely behind on both ROH and NJPW shows. Hopefully soon though.

The Jack Knife fried cheese has no form of jack cheese in it... (and for some reason "jack cheese" sounds dirty)

I'm really confused why they went with "Macho Man Nachos" instead of "Macho Nachos"

These names are all really cheesy and terrible, but "Cheesecake Uncensored" wins that contest. It's literally just a slice of cheesecake.

Worst of all, they served Pepsi products.

Man watching these old Raws it is really clear Vince was a Republican far before Linda ever ran for congress. Not only did he and the product constantly take shots at Bill Clinton but at his wife too and even policy. As a kid I would not have noticed it at all, but it is interesting if nothing else watching it as an adult and being able to see his political leanings so easily. It is also easy to look throughout the WWE over the years and see how a lot of the top guys are admitted Republicans or guys that have said things/live life styles that are in line with those views. Kane, JBL, Jerry Lawler, The Rock, Jim Ross, HHH, Randy Orton, I found a lot of guys at the top level that were open or suggestive that they were conservatives, but only a few that were Dems (and most of those in recent years and they were not top level guys, or struggled like Daniel Bryan).

I am not saying this is horrendous or leaks into every part of the WWE, but I do find it interesting that 1. It is so clearly in the product and has been for so long. 2. There is not a certain, but atleast a possible pattern of playing favorites based on a persons beliefs.

While I don't doubt McMahon's political leanings, using that as evidence would be like saying Jay Leno or the cast members of SNL were all Republicans. It was the 90s. Everyone was taking shots or poking fun at Bill Clinton

Plus I think you'll find that most athletes in general are Republican, as well.

I'm really confused why they went with "Macho Man Nachos" instead of "Macho Nachos"

These names are all really cheesy and terrible, but "Cheesecake Uncensored" wins that contest. It's literally just a slice of cheesecake.

Worst of all, they served Pepsi products.
Goldberger. Easily my favorite.

While I don't doubt McMahon's political leanings, using that as evidence would be like saying Jay Leno or the cast members of SNL were all Republicans. It was the 90s. Everyone was taking shots or poking fun at Bill Clinton

Plus I think you'll find that most athletes in general are Republican, as well.
No it would be like pointing out that most of SNLs cast members who received the most screen time, got their own movies and the best skits, were all the same political leaning as him (which I imagine they were). Again I am not saying the whole of the WWE is a Republican product, or that it it blatant or constant. That said when you look at the top guys both back stage and in ring there is again a possible pattern. It isnt an accusation I am making as a fact, just an observation(if you cant tell yet I am going out of my way to make it clear I am not claiming this as fact).

I also would point out that again they hit Presidents like Clinton and Obama differently, not just harsher jokes but also taking shots at Clintons wife and I believe I have heard specific policy. Finally id like to point out that we all already know that the WWE plays favorites. They play them with white athletes, with second/third generation guys and with pet projects like Orton. I just do not think it is much of a jump to say that given EVERYTHING we are seeing the McMahons family may play favorites in more ways then are blatently obvious. They may not even do it conciously. Humans are programed to favor those we see to be like us, on purpose or not.

Edit - BTW is your avatar from a Suikoden game? Suikoden 2 hero maybe?

Ryback clearly stealing feed me more from Goldberg.

I imagine they were called Macho Man Nachos instead of Macho Nachos for stupid "branding" reasons (ie his name is not Macho Randy Savage), but yeah, Macho Nachos is better.

Did DJ Ran perform there on weekends?

Ryback clearly stealing feed me more from Goldberg.

I imagine they were called Macho Man Nachos instead of Macho Nachos for stupid "branding" reasons (ie his name is not Macho Randy Savage), but yeah, Macho Nachos is better.

Did DJ Ran perform there on weekends?
They might have used up their Macho Nachos quota with the 2 dorks from Dinner and a Movie when they turned heel and joined the nWo on Clash 35.

And that's available to stream on WWE Network for the low price of 9.99 a month. Kids, just grab your parents' credit card now and beg for forgiveness later.

Ruby Tuesday had (has? No clue since they shut the one here down) a burger called the Macho Nacho.

They also had some tasty mashed cauliflower, but that's a whole other discussion.

Imagine if Warrior had stuck around a few more years during his '96 run. Throw-everything-at-the-wall booking would have had him turn heel by becoming a country club prude with a monocle.

...fuck, that actually would have been kind of awesome.

It got leaked that WWE is negotiating right now to get Smackdown moved back to thursday nights.

Don't really understand it, unless they think TNA is done and can be the only wrestling show on thursdays now.  But it's also a bad night to move to as there are quite a few shows on network tv that night that would lower SD's ratings even worse than they are now.

I disagree. Moving to Thursday nights would be nothing but good for most of the year, Friday night is the second worst tv night of the week behind Saturdays. The only time when Thursday night will be worse than Friday night is during football season, but since they already deal with that on Mondays I don't think it will disuade them too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back