ultra ata?

[quote name='2poor']what is the difference between ultra ata and sata?[/QUOTE]

The interface and speeds.
Ultra ATA is a form of Parallel ATA (the 40-pin connectors)
Serial ATA (SATA) is newer and uses a very small cable for data with faster throughput than PATA.

There's a lot of cool things about SATA (I love the jumperless design and better airflow in regards to the cable), but there's still too much difference in dollars per gigabyte in my opinion. You get so much more bang for your buck with traditional Ultra IDE, and let's face it, the real-world performance difference is little if any (not counting very large files).

[quote name='2poor']how much is too much for a gigbyte?

i usually pay around 33 cents per gig.[/QUOTE]

25 cents per gig for pata, and I've seen as low as 33 cents per gig for sata. I think the gap is getting closer but pata still wins the lowest price.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']25 cents per gig for pata, and I've seen as low as 33 cents per gig for sata. I think the gap is getting closer but pata still wins the lowest price.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen low as 25 cents for pata but there's usually some deal around here where sata will cost 33 cents. It's usually for a 300 gig hd.

[quote name='WebScud']PATA is tops out at 133 Mbs, where SATA can reach up to 150 Mbs.[/QUOTE]
Those are theoretical speeds. From what I've seen, most 7200RPM drives perform approximately the same right now.

[quote name='kakomu']Those are theoretical speeds. From what I've seen, most 7200RPM drives perform approximately the same right now.[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely true. For example, current tests of several of the known fastest IDE hard drives show they top out around 70MB/s in sequential reads. This isn't even close to the maximum speeds. Not sure about Serial ATA, but Parallel ATA can only access one device at a time, so you can't even read two drives at once to saturate the link.

The price gap is indeed getting closer, it's quite a bit closer than it was 6 months ago when I bought my hard drive. You also have to consider that over the course of 300 or gigabytes, that difference really adds up. Right now it seems like you pay roughly a $100 premium for SATA. I'd just rather have the space than the minor speed increase.

bread's done
Back