Unaccounted 19 GB on HDD - SOLVED: User Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrapnellistic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Added everything up on my "80 GB" model (actually it's 74 GB) and have ~19 GB unaccounted for that I assume is being used for firmware; is this normal for everyone else?

Edit:
ie I'll have ~55 GB if I delete everything I see right now so 80 minus 55 = 25 GB that I can't touch.

Edit #2:
Human error on my end, didn't count right. I now have 61 GB of free space available + 1750 MB that can be deleted for more space so my HDD number looks a lot like everyone else's now (ie: unaccounted 10 to 11 GB on HDD).

No need to format or upgrade. Whew. Appreciate the replies, thread can be locked now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, this is normal. the 19GB is reserved by the PS3 for system use.

Much like the 360 reserves about 7.5GB for itself.

EDIT: actually... 19 GB sounds extreme... I'm not sure how much the PS3 reserves for itself, but reserving about 10GB wouldn't be out of the norm.

I believe it's a % of the HDD that it will reserve.. 10% perhaps? So those of us who upgraded have a much bigger portion reserved, but that's normal.

That 19 GB doesn't take into account the 6 GB that was never there in the first place (the reserve amount).

ie I'll have ~55 GB if I delete everything I see right now so 80 minus 55 = 25 GB that I can't touch.

it's not 80GB. it's 74GB after formating, which is normal. You only get the 80GB number when u round off the bits.... and it is used in marketing to "pump" the number.

But if it's 10% reserved, then it should be only 7.4GB reserved from 74GB...

Sounds normal. I have a 40 GB, which is actually 37. However, I added up all of my game data, game saves, demos, etc. and noticed I'm missing about 10 GBs (not counting the 3). I want those 10 GBs!

Anyone else try adding their HDD numbers up? Just waiting to see if I can save myself time transferring data to a USB stick and gamehare data before I go with the "reformat solves everything" route.

Open up the browser, hit triangle, go to Tools I think and you should see options to delete history, cache, etc. I'd be very surprised if you regained any noticeable space from doing this though.

@TruthinessFC
Open up the browser, hit triangle, go to Tools I think and you should see options to delete history, cache, etc. I'd be very surprised if you regained any noticeable space from doing this though.
Correct.

@blissskr
My 160g has only 11g unaccounted for 19g seems pretty high.
Interesting figures we have here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else willing to calculate their PS3's HDD space to help me decide if a reformat is in order before I spend time transferring files, losing a gameshare slot, and redownloading firmware?
*Preferably an 80 GB model.

How much space do you have left? If you're really running out of space, just upgrade while you're spending all the time messing around with deleting and moving things...

Most hard drives almost never allow you to tap into the advertised amount. Well, if the hard drive is like a completely clean slate with nothing installed maybe, but the PS3 has it's own OS embedded and everything.

Human error on my end, didn't count right. I now have 61 GB of free space available + 1750 MB that can be deleted for more space so my HDD number looks a lot like everyone else's now (ie: unaccounted 10 to 11 GB on HDD).

No need to format or upgrade. Whew. Appreciate the replies, thread can be locked now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back