Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - OUT NOW - Trophy Patch Released!

[quote name='decon']I played the demo and really liked the graphics. I didn't care for the gunplay and the running made me dizzy. FPS usually get me dizzy, not third person games.

Is the full game better?[/quote]

The demo is a good representation of the combat portion of the gameplay. There's still quite a bit of platforming in the game, but towards the end it does get a bit combat heavy.

What's really better about the full game is the story and characters, there's actually 3 chapters before the demo chapter that really helps establish the characters, story, and setting using some of the best writing and digital acting I've seen.

What's making you Dizzy is probably the field of view setting, which seems tighter than in most third person games.

Holy shit, I just got this game today and it is awesome. I mean really, really amazingly fun- it feels like you're playing an Indiana Jones movie.

IMO, it's by far the best next-gen single-player experience to come out yet, and I have BioShock, Mass Effect, and have played Super Mario Galaxy at a friend's house.

I've been trying to play through a second time, on hard this time, but it's crashing on me a lot. WTF. This didn't happen the first time through; it was smooth as silk. This is very annoying. Anyone else have this problem?

Got an email tonight from Sony with a link to this.

It's a "By Gamers For Gamers" page with community-based analysis of aspects of the game. The highlight for me is right near the beginning of the Q-and-A section: An amazing mix of some of the themes from the score, called "The El Dorado Megamix". Check it out.

I'm really glad I borrowed this game and didn't buy it.

Good things: Sound and graphics. Voice acting. The DTS sound is amazing, truly a feat for games to have sound this good. Hopefully more blockbuster releases follow suit and use DTS. For two reasons: It's better than Dolby Digital because it has a higher capacity and REAL 5.1 effects. It's better than "Lossless audio" because people without HDMI receivers can still use optical and get DTS core which sounds fantastic.

Bad things: The climbing system. If you're ever at a part where you have to swing from a vine and jump to a ledge, you better have 30 minutes of spare time on your hands, because unless you have the timing of a god, you're not going to make that jump. The enemy AI is flawed. Well not so much flawed as a pain in the butt when it was thought out. When you shoot an enemy, he starts break dancing. I could see how this might be thought to be "realistic and challenging" but it just makes the game a pain in the ass. The other problem is "psychic AI". Whenever you're out of bullets or low on health, the enemies seem to KNOW and predictably RUSH the crap out of you when that happens. The cover system is flawed and glitchy, sometimes enemies will shoot at you THROUGH walls or you won't be able to shoot them even if they're in your clear sight.

Overall, a decent game, but nowhere near the 9 or 10 ratings it's been receiving. I'd give it a 7 or an 8 at most.

Dolby Digital isn't real 5.1?

I'll agree that more games should use DTS, but not for the sake of giving up lossless.
Glad this game has both.

[quote name='NamelessMC']
Bad things: The climbing system. If you're ever at a part where you have to swing from a vine and jump to a ledge, you better have 30 minutes of spare time on your hands, because unless you have the timing of a god, you're not going to make that jump. [/QUOTE]

I didn't have that problem at all.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I didn't have that problem at all.[/quote]
How does it feel to have the timing of a god?

Damn, I still need to pick this game up. :oops:

[quote name='dallow']How does it feel to have the timing of a god?

Damn, I still need to pick this game up. :oops:[/quote]

Mak finally wore me down with his praise and I started playing it tonight. I only played for like an hour, but it is really good.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Mak finally wore me down with his praise and I started playing it tonight. I only played for like an hour, but it is really good.[/quote]

Yes sir. I speak the troof. It's a great game. I can't wait to get home and play some more.

[quote name='DrNo888']Me neither.[/quote]

Me neither.

Just got my DS3 in the mail yesterday and I'm aching to play Uncharted with it. Need to start checking tradelists.

I've wanted to play Uncharted for quite a while now so as soon as I get a Dualshock 3 I'll finally pick myself up a copy.

Just finished this game and I gotta say it I really liked the areas where you are outside, It is nice playing a platformer that doesn't take place in dark atmospheres.

[quote name='Maklershed']Ah it's a lot better with the ds3. It's good to get feedback when you shoot.[/quote]

I've been playing it with rumble since last Xmas!

lololololol

I have to agree with js1.

Uncharted is just a flatout fun game. It's nice to see a game that focuses on a good single player experience once in a while.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Uncharted is just a flatout fun game. It's nice to see a game that focuses on a good single player experience once in a while.[/quote]

Amen. Maybe I just don't "get" online play. I'm sure Uncharted wouldn't be nearly as good as it is, if they had spent time making a multiplayer mode.

Second thoughts:

Beat the game yesterday. I gotta say, the fun parts of the game, are really really fun. Some of the puzzles don't make sense or aren't very difficult at all. They require footwork more than anything, but I played WoW a lot so footwork for accomplishments doesn't bother me any.

The story and voice acting is what really sets this game apart. It's just a movie experience in a game. A LOT of developers could learn from this game and experience. But after all, Naughty Dog is the developer of Jak and Daxter and we all know that's no stranger to having a solid single player adventure experience.

I really look forward to how Naughty Dog will follow up on a game like this and implement development ideals and strategies from it into other titles.

If they ever work a sequel or spin off of Uncharted, I hope they leave out the vine swinging.

Vine swinging was my only real gripe with this game. That and psychic enemies. Also, the physical combo aspect didn't really catch my attention. Throughout the game I might've used it ONCE or twice, and I did a simple Triangle, Triangle, Triangle, Triangle combo because it was a panic situation and I needed bullets.

The last boss fight could've been more than just a remix of Button memorizing a'la Die Hard arcade game, but this game was never much of a "boss fight" kind of game. It was more, a movie like exploration and combat experience game. The real challenges were groups of enemies coming at you and trying to decide which to shoot first so you can move position.

My second opinion of the game, after fully beating it, is an 8.5 out of 10. That's a very solid rating from me, considering I gave Final Fantasy 12 a 7.5 out of 10, Halo 3 an 8.5 out of 10. I'm a harsh critic, but I'm also a strong believer that every game doesn't have to be a blockbuster to be fun. There's plenty of 6 and 7 games that are worth playing start to finish and there's a large gap between a game that's a 6 and a game that's an 8. I very rarely give a game a 5 or lower, else I would have known not to play it from the start.

Solid game, few glitches and faults, overall worth owning or at least renting for a long time, as the single player story did take quite a while to finish and never left itself uninteresting.

I just beat it today. My only complaints are the physics of shooting a bad guy is kinda borked. Unless you get a head shot, you need to hit them 3 times every time. And it always looks like they'll fall and you can turn your attention away but they just pop back up. And the other thing which took me out of the whole Indiana Jonesish / lost in a cool, Mayan island vibe was
those stupid mutant monster things. It really was sorta jarring and did not fit with the rest of the game at all imo.
. Other than that though I really loved this game. I put it in my favorites list with God of War and Bioshock.

[quote name='NamelessMC']

Vine swinging was my only real gripe with this game. That and psychic enemies. Also, the physical combo aspect didn't really catch my attention. Throughout the game I might've used it ONCE or twice, and I did a simple Triangle, Triangle, Triangle, Triangle combo because it was a panic situation and I needed bullets.
[/quote]

I didn't mind the vine swinging at all. I thought it was fun.

[quote name='reiji']Amen. Maybe I just don't "get" online play. I'm sure Uncharted wouldn't be nearly as good as it is, if they had spent time making a multiplayer mode.[/quote]

I agree with online play. I play Warhawk, but only with one particular buddy.

That said, Uncharted would be awesome if co-op was available during the sections where Nate and Elena (spelling?) are together.

I finished this game about a month ago and thought it was a fantastic game.....while it lasted. Not that long, but definitely one fun ride while it lasted. For people thinking that multiple hits to kill enemies sucks, would you rather have it so it was realistic that enemies died in a few shots and you as well? You would lose gun fights very quickly and become frustrated.

And so you know, Naughty Dog said there are plans for a sequel or two.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']This game is the version of National Treasure that didn't suck.[/quote]

That pretty much sums it up. I especially got that vibe with some of the musical themes.

I have to say I'm surprised, I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I never really cared for any of the Jak and Daxter games.

One of my fave games on PS3 hands down--I gotta try and beat the game again on harder difficulty now that I have a DS3, but unfortunately MGS4 is out this week. :p

[quote name='Maklershed']I just beat it today. My only complaints are the physics of shooting a bad guy is kinda borked. Unless you get a head shot, you need to hit them 3 times every time. And it always looks like they'll fall and you can turn your attention away but they just pop back up. And the other thing which took me out of the whole Indiana Jonesish / lost in a cool, Mayan island vibe was
those stupid mutant monster things. It really was sorta jarring and did not fit with the rest of the game at all imo.
. Other than that though I really loved this game. I put it in my favorites list with God of War and Bioshock.[/QUOTE]

I agree with what you said in the spoiler, however, but just like a movie sometimes you have to go somewhere unexpected... how boring the game would have been if you would have ended with more of the same people, enemies, etc.

[quote name='Maklershed']I just beat it today. My only complaints are the physics of shooting a bad guy is kinda borked. Unless you get a head shot, you need to hit them 3 times every time. And it always looks like they'll fall and you can turn your attention away but they just pop back up. And the other thing which took me out of the whole Indiana Jonesish / lost in a cool, Mayan island vibe was
. Other than that though I really loved this game. I put it in my favorites list with God of War and Bioshock.[/quote]

I agree with you regarding your spoiler. Its not so much what you are fighting, but the tight space. I felt like I was playing a generic FPS at that point.

Overall, awesome game. There were a couple of parts that were awesomely fun.
I rarely beat games that I start out playing. This is my first in years.

Sorry if this is reviving an old topic, but Uncharted is the first PS3 game I've ever played so I feel the need to discuss it :p

But yeah, I absolutely love this game even if I'm a pretty bad shot (the only FPS games I've ever played are Metroid Prime and Peter Jackson's King Kong, both GCN). It's so beautiful too! Aside from Lost Odyssey I've never played a game with graphics as realistic as this. However, the game just got a whole lot less fun now that
motherfucking zombies have come into play! I've already got an unsteady hand, then you add in the fact that I'm a pretty big coward (took me a year to beat RE4), and I'm sure you can understand how much fun I had fighting them after Eddie got killed waiting for Elena to DROP THE ROPE.

About your spoiler problems:
They're not zombies, but they are completely melee oriented. So treat them as such. You'll only have problems if you don't change your fighting style when facing them. Once you understand that they're not the same mercenaries you've faced before, they get ridiculously easy to face.

First off, they usually only spawn either in front of you, or make a very clear and obvious noise when they do spawn. They're also very noisy in general.

Only one will attack you at a time even if it looks like there's a whole pack of them surrounding you. They did this deliberately so that these segments are less frustrating. Not only that, after one attacks you, it'll back away. There's actually a lot of limits they've built into the AI that make them look and feel scary, but in reality most of them just sort of run around making noise with only 1 attacking at any time.

They're still living creatures. As such, just one hit to them will cause them to recoil in pain. This animation is actually pretty long, so you can use that time to stop and aim for a better shot on one. Speaking of which...

They move too fast to track while aiming. So, don't aim. Learn to simply run and gun when they're around. However, you don't need to kill them while running and gunning. As above, all you need to do is hit them once, and then while they're recoiling, that's when you aim and fire.

So to repeat, don't get caught in the same thinking that standing and shooting, or cover and shooting will work against the Descendants, instead just run and gun to get them off balance, aim, and fire. Also pay attention to the noises they make because you can always get a good idea of where they are from the noises they make.

[quote name='Chrisorz']Sorry if this is reviving an old topic, but Uncharted is the first PS3 game I've ever played so I feel the need to discuss it :p

But yeah, I absolutely love this game even if I'm a pretty bad shot (the only FPS games I've ever played are Metroid Prime and Peter Jackson's King Kong, both GCN). It's so beautiful too! Aside from Lost Odyssey I've never played a game with graphics as realistic as this. However, the game just got a whole lot less fun now that
motherfucking zombies have come into play! I've already got an unsteady hand, then you add in the fact that I'm a pretty big coward (took me a year to beat RE4), and I'm sure you can understand how much fun I had fighting them after Eddie got killed waiting for Elena to DROP THE ROPE.
[/quote]

I agreed with you completely ...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4249553&postcount=672

It did not fit and I feel that maybe it was added because the makers didn't feel confident that the game was compelling enough without it .. which it was. In my opinion, it's unfortunate they added that and ruined the vibe. But nevertheless, the game was great anyway. I can't wait for 2.4 to relaunch and for Naughty Dog to patch in trophy support so I can go through it again. :bouncy:

Anybody else having a problem loading this game since the 2.41 update? After the update I played it and it loaded after about 3-5 minutes (of the gold coin spinning at start up). Right now I'm trying to play it and it won't load at all (stuck at the spinning coin for over half an hour). A few people on other forums have had the problem but nobody solved it. Deleting the game data file (which would be created when Uncharted installs something on your PS3, not the same as the saved games) won't fix anything because this game doesn't have any game data. All my other games (well, at least MGS4) work fine. Anybody have any ideas?

I just beat it last night, after buying it damn near released. Had no problem with any loading or anything. Hopefully they'll be a patch to fix the issue and hope it doesn't kill your system.

Overall fun game. though kinda sucks there is relative no replay value for me. Great story, and gameplay. Can't wait for the sequel.

I'm also waiting on a second run through. Uncharted is my favorite PS3 so far with Sigma, Ratchet, and VF5 right behind it. It's everything Tomb Raider should've been and worth every penny.

I wonder though, they said they weren't really going back to patch in Trophies to Resistance and Uncharted. But, since they're being rereleased as GH, they should consider funding the patch for current owners and any new owners that will pickup the GH version.

After all, Trophies are a shiny new feature for the PS3, having GH titles without trophies is a bit foolish.

[quote name='bmachine']I'm dying for a second runthrough but I'm going to hold off until the trophies are patched in.[/quote]

Ditto. I've got sooo many games in my backlog to play right now but I just keep thinking about playing Uncharted again.

Cannot wait for the trophies to come out for this game so I have a reason to play it again... I'm tempted to play it right now, but I'd rather wait for the trophies! Hurry up!

I played the demo and wasn't all that impressed, it seemed fine, but not something I had to go out and buy. Is the full game significantly better, or is it just not my type of game?

I didn't care for the demo, I played it for like five minutes if even that and turned it off. I happen to get the game on a sale or something, don't remember and it's quite good. Very enjoyable. Maybe a rental to see how you like it, and if you got a free week to do nothing you can probably pass it. It's about a 8 hour game or so.

[quote name='happy']I played the demo and wasn't all that impressed, it seemed fine, but not something I had to go out and buy. Is the full game significantly better, or is it just not my type of game?[/QUOTE]

That's interesting because I finally got around to playing the demo on Friday and felt the same way. Didn't have as much fun with it as thought I would - didn't realize it was pretty much a straight-up shooter.

I also had problems with the cover system in that I would get nailed literally every time I tries to pop out and shoot someone. Maybe I was just doing it wrong.

Having said that I will still probably pick it up when the trophy support hits, especially as a GH title.

bread's done
Back