unique/interesting musical "instrument"?

imascrub

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
hey guys for some reason I just started thinking about this weird thing that I remember seeing on tv a long long time ago. It's some kind of "instrument" that is just some kind of thick elastic strip of material that resembles a rubberband I think. It's held like a flute and I think plays kind of like one too, but sounds a bit more like a weird trumpet. I think what you do is clamp down onto the band with your mouth and uh...do some kind of blowing that makes the strip vibrate. Then you control the notes by manipulating the playing fingers in the way of like a trumpet.

Anybody know at all what I might be talking about?

[quote name='fart_bubble']Yep, thats the first thing that ran through my mind reading his post[/quote]
Same here. But he didn't mention Hee Haw so I wasn't 100% sure.

hmm nope that's not it.
What I saw looked pretty much like a wide (maybe like 3/4" - 1" width) rubberband looking elastic strip. Guess I should say cut rubberband. It wasn't connected in a circle just a maybe 12 or so inch long piece.

i believe it's held on one end by a hand near the mouth to keep it in place, and held on the other with a thumb and index finger, then the notes are manipulated by the middle to pinky fingers (similar-ish to a trumpet?)

[quote name='eldergamer']A pocket trumpet like don cherry plays? No....
for truly weird instruments check out rahsaan roland kirk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Kirk

Blind jazz musician who played 3 saxes at once and invented his own instruments.[/quote]

Cool, man. That dude from Morpine used to play 2 saxes, but this Rahsaan guy one-upped his ass.

bread's done
Back