Universal Price Drops: January 2005

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
I thought it might be helpful to keep a monthly list of games whose prices have dropped at all (or most) stores.
You can post in this thread, and myself and the Cheap Ass Moderators can update this original post. Last month's list

January 2005
Blinx 2 (Xbox) $20
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders (Xbox) $20
Outrun 2 (Xbox) $20
Rocky Legends (PS2, Xbox) $20

You took the ones I was just about to post Cheapy. Oh well, free bump so others will see.

Oh wait, I just thought of another, isn't Full Spectrum Warrior also to have gone down to 19.99?

nothing to interesting but blinx 2 already dropped to $20? they should have seen how big a flop the first one was and never made a second.

and outrun 2 doesnt have the same market it used to so its a shame to see a classic revival drop so quickly.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']
Oh wait, I just thought of another, isn't Full Spectrum Warrior also to have gone down to 19.99?[/quote]

So far the CAG-O-Matic is only showing EB with that price:
CAG-O-Matic

[quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='hiccupleftovers']
Oh wait, I just thought of another, isn't Full Spectrum Warrior also to have gone down to 19.99?[/quote]

So far the CAG-O-Matic is only showing EB with that price:
CAG-O-Matic[/quote]

Well I'm sure in the upcoming weeks (maybe even days) others will follow suit. The game's been out for awhile.

Boy Blinx 2 really dropped really fast.
Still can't beleave they made it and I would be amazed if they even think of making a Blinx 3.

[quote name='slidecage']makes you wonder since 3 of the 4 are xbox games if the xbox is crashing[/quote]

..no it doesn't. The PS2 has had like three major blockbusters (MGS3, San Andreas, and.. uh.. okay, two), and more budget titles than I can even think of. XBox has had a great season with Halo 2, MechAssault 2, KOTOR2, Ghost Recon 2, and Ninja Gaiden is still racking up numbers. Both systems share equal success with NFSU2, POP:WW, and Burnout 3.

So no. It doesn't make me wonder anything about that at all.

[quote name='slidecage']makes you wonder since 3 of the 4 are xbox games if the xbox is crashing[/quote]

don't you mean that 3 out of 4 are x box only? b/c 4 out of 4 are for the x box (rocky is for ps2/xbox)

and no it doesn't make me wonder about the xbox, b/c there were many stellar titles like scorch mentioned and some just got swepted out of the way.

looks like i might pick up kingdom underfire, heards its a good game

Glad my holiday buying strategy worked. But 2 AAA titles at $50 (Halo and Mech Assult 2) and wait until January-March to buy everything else I considered getting for $20 or less.

So far Tron 2.0, KUF, Outrun 2 and Blinx 2. I learned such an expensive lesson paying full boat for XIII, Beyond Good & Evil, Links 2004, Top Spin. Never again will I fall to paying full price for a non-AAA release.

Now, would Ghosthunter, Siren and Silent Hill 4 go to $20 soon? I need a new dose of those games.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']
Now, would Ghosthunter, Siren and Silent Hill 4 go to $20 soon? I need a new dose of those games.[/quote]

I believe GameFly has under $20 prices on all of those.

[quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']
Now, would Ghosthunter, Siren and Silent Hill 4 go to $20 soon? I need a new dose of those games.[/quote]

I believe GameFly has under $20 prices on all of those.[/quote]

Yes they do. Plus you might be able to find Siren on clearence at TRU.

Yeah cause we all know PS2 and GC games sell millions and none ever fail.

In the words of my friend, the game market for consoles is oversaturated. We're both expecting a crash within the next few years. Look for more companys to go under, produce alot less, or flat out withdraw.

what i mean by crashing is that THere seems to be alot of 3rd party xbox titles falling in price very fast. Makes you wondering how many 3rd partys will support the Xbox in late 2005 (same with cube and ps2) with the new systems coming in 2006 probally

This is what happens when you release too many good games all at one time. The sales of the bigger fish kills the smaller fish.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Now, would Ghosthunter, Siren and Silent Hill 4 go to $20 soon? I need a new dose of those games.[/quote]

Check your local TRU for Siren... they are literally giving them away at $9.98... I played it and my GOD, is the voice acting horrendous...

Not really a big deal seeing as Blinx 2 was a plug and chug of the first game, Rocky as well, and outrun was a arcade port.

I mean the development on these games wasn't THAT high (like say from starting from scratch) so they probably still made some money (or will with clearance).

The videogame industry is much different from a couple decades ago - - vg's are very much a part of mainstream culture, so a total crash similiar to the 80's isn't probable (just look at how much $$ gaming has made in the last few years); however, I think we can all agree that there will be many changes in the next few years that might not leave as many publishers/ developers as there are now. Some of the bigger companies may not want to be making stupid decisions in the near future.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='slidecage']makes you wonder since 3 of the 4 are xbox games if the xbox is crashing[/quote]

..no it doesn't. The PS2 has had like three major blockbusters (MGS3, San Andreas, and.. uh.. okay, two)[/quote]

Way to go, you forgot Ratchet and Clank: UYA. Which makes it 3.

KUF is already 20 bucks? Is that everywhere? Best Buy Gift Card, here I come!

[quote name='Haruko821'][quote name='Scorch'][quote name='slidecage']makes you wonder since 3 of the 4 are xbox games if the xbox is crashing[/quote]

..no it doesn't. The PS2 has had like three major blockbusters (MGS3, San Andreas, and.. uh.. okay, two)[/quote]

Way to go, you forgot Ratchet and Clank: UYA. Which makes it 3.

KUF is already 20 bucks? Is that everywhere? Best Buy Gift Card, here I come![/quote]

KUF is $20 only at Wal-Mart AFAIK.

"KUF is $20 only at Wal-Mart "

I have seen KUF (along with the other Microsoft price drops) at both Gamestop and EB. If best buy hasn't dropped yet they probably will early this week.

I'm pretty sure that Boktai 2 and Advance Gaurdian Heroes have gone down at most places to 19.99. That was the price at my Fry's today for both of them and I know that Gamestop has had them at that price. Not to sure if it is the price at EB though.

Edit: Same price at EB also.

[quote name='daroga']How long till EB has Outrun 2 for $20? Right now it's $35 on their site.

daroga[/quote]

It's been $14.99 in their store for a week or so now. I think.

It's funny, my local Hastings has Second Sight and Outrun 2 both still at 39.99, but KUF is 19.99 and used copies are 9.99 (they had two for $9.99.. almost bought some).

there is a many games that will forever be on the store shelfs and blinx has just become one of them.

the tittles are

all old sports games
bmx xxx
stuntman
old wrestling titles
bad boys miami takedown
and 90% of the games that are under 10 bucks on eb and gamestop.com

I don't think this indicates any trouble for gaming companies or portends to a crash that games just out 2-3 months are now less than $20. The same thing last year happened with Beyond Good & Evil, XIII, Gladius, Goblin Commander, Sphinx, Top Spin, Links 2004, Grabbed By the Ghoulies and Ubisoft, Microsoft, Jaleco, Lucas Arts and THQ are all in business.

Outrun 2 was a system port that Microsoft distributed. It probably cost less than $2 million to port it, print them and distrubute 300,000 of them. Even if they all sell at $20 that's a $6 million game and a $4 million profit.

KUF,from looking at the credits am I wrong to think that this game was a Korean PC game? Again, do the above model. Let's say MS localized it and incurred an additional $1 million in costs for translations and new voice work. 300,000 shipped all sold at $20. You're looking at a $6 million game and a $3 million profit from this title.

Tron 2.0, same thing. You have an 18 month old PC game, they did nothing to optimize it for Xobx (Notice the shitty load times.) and could have had Digipen grads mod a few levels for Live, 200,000 sold for $20.... $4 million when they didn't really do squat but pay for the discs.

Price drops don't mean people aren't making money. Besides, I'm excluding the fact that most of the titles listed sold for full boat to retailers. No one lost money on these games, they were just singles instead of home runs.

There aren't many games that had a big budget, huge expectations and then failed miserably. Shenmue is probably the biggest single failure of a game commercially in history given its reported $50 million budget.

The gaming industry doesn't seem to throw out a Cutthroat Island, Waterworld, Ishtar or Gigli very often where not only does the product suck ass but it loses money too.

You're assuming that Outrun and KUF are straight ports, yet you fail to mention XBox Live. They weren't obviously straight ports, some work WAS done to them.

Sadly Tron Killer App just went down to $19.99 at TRU...it's suppose to be a universal drop though since that came from the Disney/Buena Vista rep.

The original KUF was a Korean PC game, but the new one - Crusaders - is a Korean Xbox game that is related to the PC game in name only. Totally new.

[quote name='oper00']Has Rumble Roses dropped in price yet?[/quote]

Not sure if it's universal, but I saw this at Target for $29.99 last week. I didn't think it warranted it's own thread though. AFAIK, it's still $40 at BB, but I am sure that will change soon.

Super Smash Bros. Melee and Timesplitters 2 (GC) have been made Players Choice titles. I saw SSB for $20, and Timesplitters was only $10 at BB.

Uhm...SSB has been a Player's Choice for a very very very long time. But they have never been $19.99 at TRU...they still sell new for $29.99 and people buy them still if we have them (we don't have any now).

[quote name='Josef']Rumble Roses is indeed $29.99 at Target now. It will probably be universal real soon.[/quote]

I think it's also the same price at Fry's. Won't be long now till this baby is at 19.99 and lower I believe.

[quote name='Zon27']Uhm...SSB has been a Player's Choice for a very very very long time. But they have never been $19.99 at TRU...they still sell new for $29.99 and people buy them still if we have them (we don't have any now).[/quote]

All Nintendo PC titles are now 19.99, including Animal Crossing.. it's been that way for a month or two.

Kingdom Under Fire is a GREAT game, especially at that price. I picked mine up when it was released for $30, and it was well worth that and more. The campaign mode is very long, and the Live multiplayer is quite addicting. It's one of the only 3 online games I still play (the other two being Halo 2 and Natural Selection). Definatly worth $20, anyone even remotely interested in action or strategy games should pick it up.

And to clairify some things said in this thread: no, the game is not a port, it was a new game that's been in development for over 3 years now, and it actually had quite a bit of money put into it's development. They said that they'd be able to make a sequel if Crusaders sold at least 300,000 copies. Unfortunatly, it seems it didn't even sell 1/3rd of that at it's $40 price point, so unless they sell a whole CRAPLOAD of them at $20, we'll sadly probably never see another game in the series. Too bad, it's an excellent but often overlooked game, it seems like a lack of advertising really hurt it.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='Zon27']Uhm...SSB has been a Player's Choice for a very very very long time. But they have never been $19.99 at TRU...they still sell new for $29.99 and people buy them still if we have them (we don't have any now).[/quote]

All Nintendo PC titles are now 19.99, including Animal Crossing.. it's been that way for a month or two.[/quote]

That's nice and all my TRU SSBM still rings for $29.99, I checked the computer yesterday when we closed.

bread's done
Back