Unlimited game and movie rentals for $39.99 @ Hollywood Video

tardoman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hollywood Video is about to unveil a new plan that allows for unlimited game or movie rentals for $39.99 / month! I believe you can begin signing up for it on 3/9/09.

It's called the powerplay. There are 4 different levels to the plan: Silver ($7.99), Gold ($14.99), Platinum ($24.99), Diamond ($39.99).

Each plan has a set quantity of monthly PowerPoints (excluding Diamond), and rentals vary in point cost. Older movies = 2 points, new release movies = 3 points, Blu-ray = 4 points, and games = 5 points.

Silver $7.99 -- 8 monthly powerpoints, 1 item out at a time, no due dates on movies, 5 day rentals on games.
Gold $14.99 -- 15 monthly powerpoints, 2 items out at a time, no due dates on movies, 5 day rentals on games.
Platinum $24.99 -- 25 monthly powerpoints, 3 items out at a time, no due dates on movies, 5 day rentals on games.
Diamond $39.99 -- Unlimited powerpoints, 3 items out at a time (2 game max), no due dates on games & movies.

On any of the plans you can extend game rentals for 1 point per day. Platinum plans can also add points in one dollar increments.

Powerpoints also rollover from month to month if they go unused.

The pamphlet also states that PowerPlay members get additional discounts on previously viewed movies & games, snacks, and concessions.

I have a HWV up the street from my house, it would be nice to try out everything in the store for $40, but the drive and seeing the same people everyday would make me sick. Also if this plan starts, that'll mean less games to rent for the peoples that don't frequent the place often.

Either way I enjoy my $10 netflix, and the mailbox is at the front door.

[quote name='Tomeeboy']By the way, how the heck are you guys paying ~$15 per month for Netflix with only 1 movie out at a time? I'm paying $8.99 / month for that, so you must be getting ripped off :)[/quote]

QFT. 1 at a time, unlimited with xbox streaming is $9.

Netflix + Redbox = win

yeah, when my hollywood manager showed me the brochure the other day i really thought it was a crappy replacement.

This is really just all to find something to make more money until the company starts the change over to Hollywood Video's becoming Game Stores that rent Blu-Ray movies.
The company is looking into this very hard because the Game Crazy side keeps them afloat.

I much prefer Blockbuster's Combo Pass. $23 for unlimited rentals, 1 game or movie out at a time. I think it's $35 for 2 out at a time.

I generally do a 1 out at a time a couple of times a year and rent 20-30 things during each month.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='iRent']But if you live even remotely near a distribution center then turnaround should usually only last a day.

So one day to and one day back. Plus, think about the gas you save. Even those minuscule details are note worthy. Such as saving that 1 mile round trip in your car and using it to sit on your ass.[/quote]

I must live as far away as possible, as myself and a few friends experienced 3-4 days to return and 3-4 days to get a new one back.

I am willing to be patient, but not that patient.

The funny thing is that I have a Hollywood Video right around the corner from me but when I started comparing this to Netflix I decided that that was the way I was going to go! Thanks for the thread! >_

This looks like a good deal for my wife and I. When I had the NetFlix/Gamefly combo I was really getting throttled by NetFlix and could never get new releases from GameFly. My local Hollywood Video is just down the street and the manager holds new release games for me when they come in. I'm paying 32 for video MVP and 23 for game MVP, so the $40 will save me 15 a month.

This is a good deal if you have one close and the shipping time for mail services take too long for you.

$40 does seem really steep. I think at $30 you would see a lot more people willing to take advantage of this(assuming they have a HWV close to them). I mean unlimted Netflix is almost $20 and gamefly's most popular plan is again about $20 so to have both at once costs $40. If this was $30 you could potentially save a few bucks and rent a few more things a month since its in store and not mailed to you.

I know that I have one about 3 miles from the house so at $30 I would have to consider it. If I lived at my old place we had one like a mile to a mile and a half away so i would have used the hell out of it.

This doesn't seem like a deal to me. I have the monthly pass at blockbuster and that's unlimited movies/games for a flat $23/month. 1 out at a time, but you can swap them out an unlimited amount of times.

I was looking at this at work the other day. The point thing seems kind of confusing for your average customer.
Also, I believe that Diamond gives you 10% off on used games and movies.

[quote name='AlphakirA']I received a pamphlet from one of the HW guys on this a few months back. Is this any different? Also, I currently have a $19.99/month plan with HW (VIP or something?) that lets me have out any game (1 at a time) with no due dates. Seems like a better deal to go with the latter.[/quote]

I currently have the $19.99 one game out at a time plan as well and when they showed me this plan I thought it was crap. I like having 1 game out at a time and my options to do something similar under the powerplay plan would be to get the 24.99 plan and just pay the extra dollar a day to hold something past the 25 days the plan would allow.

Now they didn't say I had to change the plan and they just mentioned this to me like this was some great deal... I checked HV's website and the only thing that might answer my question is that for the MVP they say they are going to stop offering the plan but nothing about ending it.

Here's the link to my original blog post on the powerplay plan.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=7174

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back