[Unoffical] Silent Hill: Downpour & Silent Hill: HD Collection Thread

hollowfreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
HD Collection:

So far I haven't played much, due to switching back and forth from the original to the HD version of Silent Hill 2 to compare and of course playing Downpour, but I've noticed a few things that bothered me about it so far.

First was the fog. It's not as blotchy, for lack of a better word, as the original. It's missing those wind swept patches and it doesn't seem to have much depth. Most of the time it winds up looking like you're running into a wall of fog at about half the screen, it's not as gradual as the original and not nearly as hypnotizing either.

I know it's minor, but the grass in the cemetery was lacking depth too. It has a lot of depth in the original, looks like clovers hovering over or popping out of the grass texture beneath but on the HD version the top layer is over cluttered with clusters of stuff instead of single blossoms or leaves.

Anyway, then I noticed I was having trouble locating the enemies by sound in the fog. So I started messing around with it and found out that the sound is reversed, the left channel is coming out the right, right out the left. I tried turning off 5.1, just had the receiver set to stereo and it was still backwards. I popped the original back in and it's fine. Anyone else having this issue?

I also thought it was odd that even though there's 6 different presets for control settings none of them match the original xbox version played on the 360. I know I can set them up manually, just seems odd that they wouldn't add that.

The new voices aren't that bad so far, well besides James. Mary Elizabeth does a great job but I do miss how crazy everyone sounded with the original voices. The do have more emotion and the quality is better but the originals always left me in this wtf!? state that I thought worked for the game. I'll try to play it all the way through with the new voices.

I do like the widescreen and HD visuals, besides the fog. I'll have to fire it up on PC again and compare them. I remember I used to play that at 1600 x 1200.

Downpour: I finished Downpour over the weekend and I thought Silent Hill the town was amazing, the Otherworld was incredible as well but at the same time felt disconnected from the town at times although I liked the inclusion of chase scenes like in Shattered Memories. Overall I loved the game, the atmosphere, the tension it created. I rarely ever play a Silent Hill with a gun, I found myself having to in this one and it still wasn't easy. I wasn't happy with the combat at first but in the end I found it to be a perfect blend of I can ... oh shit I can't do this ... run! It was more or less like a roller coaster, ranging from me whipping bricks at a screamers head, and at times her still getting the better of me, to being backed in a corner with a shotgun fighting for my life. It was frantic and really fun at times. My biggest disappointments with the game would be the enemies designs, the lack of different enemies, the lack of bosses, and I never felt like the rain, even at it's worst, made me want to run for cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
So would you say it is a buy at $40 then? I am swaying back and forth on going and getting this.

I know I am going to wait for Downpour to go on sale for $40 but I have an itch to play SH 2 & 3 again...

Personally I wish I had waited, especially with the L/R audio channels being reversed* and the fact that they changed the fog. The PC version still had the same fog as the original, so there's no real reason I can see them changing it unless they were going to improve it somehow, which they didn't imo. The fog was almost hypnotizing the way it danced around in the wind, like it had a life of it's own. That aside the core of the games are there, they did add new voices and it's sharper than before but in the end it is only 2 games ... yeah 2 of the greatest games of all time!! :lol: If it came with 1,2, and 3 I would say without a doubt $40, but with the issues/differences I'd hold off for a better deal or pop Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams in for a quick fix.

I'm having a blast with Downpour, even with it's chugging and dropping frames, and even though it uses TriOviz to get 3D, 2D to 3D conversion, it's absolutely incredible in 3D.

*I wish someone else could confirm this, I've googled it and can't find anything on it. I know the PS3 version has audio issues just didn't see anything about the audio channels being reversed. I read that there are performances issues as well, chugging, dropping frames and that they're working on a patch.

This collection needs to be bought by everyone here! $40 for two of the best games ever that wasn't even originally announced for the 360.

Achievements are a BITCH though. I was thinking about making an official topic for this and downpour combined since I was asked to do it but I don't know if it will be active here on CAG.

I'll probably pick this up eventually. I've never played a single Silent Hill game ever(!) but the games...at least the first 3 look great.

[quote name='shotgunshine']I'll probably pick this up eventually. I've never played a single Silent Hill game ever(!) but the games...at least the first 3 look great.[/QUOTE]

...you can't be serious. TRUST me, do yourself a favor and buy this asap.

[quote name='infamy']...you can't be serious. TRUST me, do yourself a favor and buy this asap.[/QUOTE]

I know, I know...I own a PS2 also with over 60 games but for some reason never got around to playing any of the SH games. Theres a few games I need to work on finishing and a couple i want to pick up(Witcher 2!) but this will be on my list.

Its not really a collection its only 2 game
Is it in 3D
I still have 2 and 4 on xbox

I'll pass on this, considering the original Silent Hill 3 voices weren't added and the new voice for Heather isn't nearly as good as the old IMO. Would be interesting to see how the graphics compare to the PC versions though.

They didn't keep the original voice track for SH3? Yikes.

I have the PC versions of SH2 and SH3, but maybe I should sell them and use the profit to buy this collection sometime. SH1 is the still only SH game I ever beat outside of Homecoming.

[quote name='shotgunshine']I know, I know...I own a PS2 also with over 60 games but for some reason never got around to playing any of the SH games. Theres a few games I need to work on finishing and a couple i want to pick up(Witcher 2!) but this will be on my list.[/QUOTE]

Just keep in mind these are still just old games, with sharper widescreen visuals, and still play as such. The control and combat was never the greatest with the series and it shows even more with age. I play using the 2D controls, and not the 3D (RE/tank) it helps a bit.

[quote name='starmask2k3']Its not really a collection its only 2 game
Is it in 3D
I still have 2 and 4 on xbox[/QUOTE]

No, the HD collection isn't in 3D but Downpour is and personally I think it adds so much to the atmosphere.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']They didn't keep the original voice track for SH3? Yikes.

I have the PC versions of SH2 and SH3, but maybe I should sell them and use the profit to buy this collection sometime. SH1 is the still only SH game I ever beat outside of Homecoming.[/QUOTE]

If you can still get them to run I'd keep them with the lack of the original voices in 3 and the fog being different in 2, the PC versions are closer to the originals. I'd still pick up the HD collection once they iron all the issues out and update it.

I hated Homecoming at first, even stopped playing it at one point. Dropping frames, didn't like the nurses new look, combat, etc. and then one day I went back to it with a open mind and played it for what it was, I wound up loving it, 1000g it even. Quite a disturbing finale. :D Which is possibly one of the reasons I like Downpour so much, despite it's issues. Unlike "most fans" I think the series actually is going in the right direction. Slowly but surely. It will never be 2 again, or 3, or even the first. Hell even 2 isn't 2 again with the HD collection.

I was messing around with 2HD again, seeing if I could do anything to fix the swapped audio channels, and then I noticed what James sounds like when he's out of breath. His breathing sounds like scratching or hissing, more like a monster than human and it only happens when you choose the new voices. I also found out that even though you can remap the controls you can't remap all the buttons on all the presets, one preset will let you remap RB but not LB, another you can't even remap either LB/RB. I haven't found a way to remap the buttons to match Restless Dreams or Downpour yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back