Unofficial Ghibli sale on Amazon

DRV

CAGiversary!
I'm saying unofficial because it hasn't exactly been promoted. I'm assuming this is just some sort of temporary price matching.

Right now, Amazon has pretty much slashed prices on all the Studio Ghibli movies currently out on DVD.

My Neighbor Totoro - $15.49
Kiki’s Delivery Service - $14.99
Castle in the Sky - $15.99
Tales From Earthsea - $16.99
Ponyo (BD-DVD Combo Pack) - $21.49
Ponyo (DVD only) - $16.49
Spirited Away - $15.49
Princess Mononoke - $15.64
My Neighbors The Yamadas - $18.99
Porko Rosso - $16.49
Pom Poko - $16.49
Whisper of the Heart - $15.99
The Cat Returns - $16.49
Howl’s Moving Castle - $15.99
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (BD-DVD Combo Pack) - $18.99
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (DVD only) - $15.49
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro - $12.69

With the exception of Ponyo and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, the only Ghibli movies available in Blu-Ray, the MSRP of each and every one of these films is $30, meaning most of these films are at least 45% off.

Studio Ghibli (and Disney movies in general) NEVER go down in price, so if you’re considering owning any of them, now is the perfect time to get them.

It’s worth noting that only Ponyo, Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, Kiki’s Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, and Tales From Earthsea are films packaged in special edition blue packaging. I’m pretty sure the other titles will follow suit—especially Howl’s, Spirited Away, and Mononoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rishiraja']Thanks OP. Really want spirited away and princess mononoke but might hold out for the eventual blu-ray release.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Waiting to see if any of them will come out with Bluray releases. The only one I own is Ponyo (Blu+DVD pack) and My Neighbor Totoro (DVD, got it for Christmas years ago). I thought about getting Nausicaa combp pack. Has anyone seen that one? I'm interested in picking that up.

Thanks for the heads up op
21.gif

[quote name='TKtheknight']I thought about getting Nausicaa combp pack. Has anyone seen that one? I'm interested in picking that up.[/QUOTE]

If you like the other Miyazaki movies that you've seen, Nausicaä is well worth picking up. It does show its age a little compared to the more recent ones, but it is still quite good.

But yeah, I'm holding out for blu-rays at this point, because I don't want to double-dip when they do eventually come out. If I feel the need to watch any of the non-blu-ray titles, I can always get them through Netflix.

[quote name='rishiraja']Thanks OP. Really want spirited away and princess mononoke but might hold out for the eventual blu-ray release.[/QUOTE]

Don't expect those any time soon. I doubt we'll be getting them until they're released in the Japanese market first, and thus far they haven't even been announced. If anything, within the next few years we'll be lucky enough to see My Neighbors the Yamadas, Whisper of the Heart, Laputa, Howl's Moving Castle, and Tales from Earthsea on Blu-ray here.

[quote name='TKtheknight']Same here. Waiting to see if any of them will come out with Bluray releases. The only one I own is Ponyo (Blu+DVD pack) and My Neighbor Totoro (DVD, got it for Christmas years ago). I thought about getting Nausicaa combp pack. Has anyone seen that one? I'm interested in picking that up.[/QUOTE]

I really liked Nausicaa!! I've seen it a few times recently, and it's probably one of my favorite Miyazaki films.

I really wish they would sell the Ghibli Collection blu-rays in America. I love the look of those covers. I've seen/own most of these except for some of the older ones, is Porco Rosso any good?

[quote name='Malicite']I've seen/own most of these except for some of the older ones, is Porco Rosso any good?[/QUOTE]

I didn't find it terribly memorable. I think it depends how likeable you find the lead. It's a tad slow from I recall. (Which isn't a bad thing, but it just may have not had qualities I appreciate).

For the record I liked Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Nausicaa a great deal. Even Lupin was just directed by Miyazaki (I don't think it was technically a Ghibli film, maybe some others worked on it?), I enjoyed it more- granted much lighter tone .. even though Porco Rosso is fairly light (I think there were some deeper themes..it just didn't resonate with me :I ).

I'd have to rewatch Totoro, since I was so young when I watched it. (haven't seen howl or pom)

TL:DR I didn't find it as enticing as Ghibli's more prominent films or Nausicaa

Tales of Earthsea is a good film with good animation, but it's not a classic.

Pretty much every Ghibli movie was an instant classic, and that's where Earthsea fails.

Earthsea is to Ghibli as Cars 2 is to Pixar.

[quote name='DRV']Tales of Earthsea is a good film with good animation, but it's not a classic.

Pretty much every Ghibli movie was an instant classic, and that's where Earthsea fails.

Earthsea is to Ghibli as Cars 2 is to Pixar.[/QUOTE]

That's awfully generous. Earthsea is a directorial trainwreck.

Waste of money. There's only two Blu-rays on there and the rest of the Ghibli titles are scheduled for Blu-ray release eventually.

A lot of them are out on BD in Japan already.

I just saw Earthsea on Starz, it seems rather scattered. I couldn't find a real cohesive story in there. It's pretty, but it's not a great film. It's nowhere near as good as the other stuff. Chalk it up to it not being a true Miyazaki film.

Someone wake me up when Totoro and Kiki are on Bluray, my kids wore out Totoro (I had the original english release) and Kiki is all scratched up.

If you guys haven't seen Castle of Cagliostro, you're missing out. I wish the Blu ray remaster was released stateside.

Actually not just the blus dropped, nearly all the DVD's dropped too:

New prices. Make sure to check amazon for the latest as some have dropped even further since posting this

My Neighbor Totoro - $15.49
Kiki’s Delivery Service - $13.99
Castle in the Sky - $13.99
Tales From Earthsea - $15.99
Ponyo (BD-DVD Combo Pack) - $18.99
Ponyo (DVD only) - $15.49
Spirited Away - $13.49
Princess Mononoke - $22.99 (UP from $15.64)
My Neighbors The Yamadas - $18.99
Porco Rosso - $15.99
Pom Poko - $16.49
Whisper of the Heart - $14.99
The Cat Returns - $16.49
Howl’s Moving Castle - $13.49
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (BD-DVD Combo Pack) - $18.49
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (DVD only) - $13.99
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro - $13.49 (went up from $12.69)

[quote name='Malicite']I've seen/own most of these except for some of the older ones, is Porco Rosso any good?[/QUOTE]

Porco Rosso is one of my favorites! The English audio track is good, but I believe it also has a French audio track where Jean Reno is the voice of Porco!

[quote name='joeyatog']Porco Rosso is one of my favorites! The English audio track is good, but I believe it also has a French audio track where Jean Reno is the voice of Porco![/QUOTE]

Yeah I really like Porco Rosso, though I remember a lot of people really didn't. It's pretty much akin to a French noir movie. The ending could have been better, but it's still enjoyable, even if it's pretty different from other Miyazaki movies.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yeah I really like Porco Rosso, though I remember a lot of people really didn't. It's pretty much akin to a French noir movie. The ending could have been better, but it's still enjoyable, even if it's pretty different from other Miyazaki movies.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way! I'm pretty sure Miyazaki intended for the movie to end that way. It is very European in a lot of ways, and that's part of its charm!

Porco Rosso just didn't feel like it had the some magic that some of his other movies had for me at least.Ending up sleeping on it towards the end of the film.Happy to see the sell though.Think I'll finally snag up My Neighbor Totoro as this price.

I liked Porco Rosso, but I definitely wished there was more to it. I can say the same for Kiki's Delivery Service and The Cat Returns. The endings seem a little too abrupt, and the movies are a little too short for me to be completely satisfied. Still, I'm a major fan of Ghibli, and I love Nausicaa, Spirited Away, Howl's, and Mononoke.

Does anyone remember that Pepsi promotion a long time ago where you could exchange Pepsi points for Amazon items? I got 7 of these movies for free with that. Hot damn, that was great. :D

[quote name='Astroranagun']should i buy ponyo and nausicaa BD right now or wait?[/QUOTE]

Seeing as they never go down in price, I'd say buy them now.

I paid about that same price for Ponyo on Blu-ray when it came out with a disney coupon. It's a good price.

Thanks to this sale I've caught up on all the movies from the collection I didn't have at good prices.

[quote name='DRV']Tales of Earthsea is a good film with good animation, but it's not a classic.

Earthsea is to Ghibli as Cars 2 is to Pixar.[/QUOTE]

Tales of the earthsea was not very good. Even the author of the book was unhappy with the anime version. Miyazaki son did this movie instead of the man himself.

Edit:
Initially, "Earthsea" author Ursula K. Le Guin wanted Hayao Miyazaki to direct the film. At the time, however, the elder Miyazaki was tied up working on Howl's Moving Castle, and thus could not come on board at the right time. Not wanting to pass up the opportunity to make the film, Miyazaki's son Goro Miyazaki stepped up to the plate and decided to make this his first film.

Ursula K. Le Guin was disappointed in the final adaptation of her book.

[quote name='HunteR7411']Tales of the earthsea was not very good. Even the author of the book was unhappy with the anime version. Miyazaki son did this movie instead of the man himself.

Edit:[/QUOTE]

Well maybe she shouldn't have turned down Miyazaki when he wanted to do an adaptation in the 80's. There's no guarantee the Sr. Miyazaki wouldn't have taken any liberties with the material either (her main beef)

[quote name='elessar123']I really want Mononoke on bluray... Are they actually going to release it, ever?[/QUOTE]

We'll likely get it about a year after the Japanese release, which hasn't even been announced yet.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Well maybe she shouldn't have turned down Miyazaki when he wanted to do an adaptation in the 80's. There's no guarantee the Sr. Miyazaki wouldn't have taken any liberties with the material either (her main beef)[/QUOTE]

Well, Howl's Moving Castle has some big differences from Diana Wynn Jones' book. I do recall she enjoyed it.

I can't speak of Earthsea's inaccuacy, but it did feel like that the movie was missing its soul. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Well, Howl's Moving Castle has some big differences from Diana Wynn Jones' book. I do recall she enjoyed it.

I can't speak of Earthsea's inaccuacy, but it did feel like that the movie was missing its soul. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.[/QUOTE]

Thats how I would put it. It was not a smooth plot line to follow and in the end it felt cheap.

so i got princess mononoke and its a french/english canadian version ? just thought it wass odd is all quality looks good. the slip cover is also in french and english.

my ponyo came without slip cover :(

ps: i chat with amazon to try my chance to geet slipcase from them, instead they give me 15% off my order for ponyo. will look the slipcase from target tomorrow :)

If anybody decided to wait, a few dropped even further.

My Neighbor Totoro - $13.49
Kiki's Delivery Service - $13.99
Spirited Away - $13.49

That actually may be it, and a dollar or so cheaper might not be a huge deal, but if you passed up any of these, now is the time to buy.

None of those are Howl's Moving Castle... good to see Disney still doing Blu Ray releases for Ghibli movies though.

bread's done
Back