Unofficial Ghibli sale on Amazon

DRV

CAGiversary!
I'm saying unofficial because it hasn't exactly been promoted. I'm assuming this is just some sort of temporary price matching.

Right now, Amazon has pretty much slashed prices on all the Studio Ghibli movies currently out on DVD.

My Neighbor Totoro - $15.49
Kiki’s Delivery Service - $14.99
Castle in the Sky - $15.99
Tales From Earthsea - $16.99
Ponyo (BD-DVD Combo Pack) - $21.49
Ponyo (DVD only) - $16.49
Spirited Away - $15.49
Princess Mononoke - $15.64
My Neighbors The Yamadas - $18.99
Porko Rosso - $16.49
Pom Poko - $16.49
Whisper of the Heart - $15.99
The Cat Returns - $16.49
Howl’s Moving Castle - $15.99
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (BD-DVD Combo Pack) - $18.99
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (DVD only) - $15.49
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro - $12.69

With the exception of Ponyo and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, the only Ghibli movies available in Blu-Ray, the MSRP of each and every one of these films is $30, meaning most of these films are at least 45% off.

Studio Ghibli (and Disney movies in general) NEVER go down in price, so if you’re considering owning any of them, now is the perfect time to get them.

It’s worth noting that only Ponyo, Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, Kiki’s Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, and Tales From Earthsea are films packaged in special edition blue packaging. I’m pretty sure the other titles will follow suit—especially Howl’s, Spirited Away, and Mononoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, thanks for the update Michael. Hopefully amazon does a 'buy 3, save $X.xx" promotion with those releases.

Costco has many Ghibli films on DVD right now for $12.99. I picked up Spirited Away, but they had a lot of them for the same price. Likely YMMV, but worth checking your local store

I still can;t forgive they change the name Laputa to.... Castle in the Sky... I remember watching that in Theater in HK... that was breathtaking...

[quote name='Xellos2099']I still can;t forgive they change the name Laputa to.... Castle in the Sky... I remember watching that in Theater in HK... that was breathtaking...[/QUOTE]

The name didn't poll well in Hispanic markets.

[quote name='B:L']The name didn't poll well in Hispanic markets.[/QUOTE]

I was just gonna say this.

As a latino, when I hear Laputa, its not nice. In fact, it is an extremely bad insult if you split it somewhere (won't say where, but its pretty bad). I can understand them changing it, I never liked the name cause of they way it sounds for me.

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']None of those are Howl's Moving Castle... good to see Disney still doing Blu Ray releases for Ghibli movies though.[/QUOTE]

Howl's Moving Castle is on BluRay in JPN right now :)

Princess Mononoke is the one I really want. I think there was a bluray released last year for it.

Whisper Of The Heart is really an underrated movie, but I don't see myself rebuying that on Bluray.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Princess Mononoke is the one I really want. I think there was a bluray released last year for it.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Hasn't even been announced for Japanese release yet.

Some of these are still on sale, but many just went up in price, including the one I wanted: Nausicaa is up to $25.99.
:(

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Nope. Hasn't even been announced for Japanese release yet.[/QUOTE]

Could have sworn I found one searching. Maybe it was a boot...

[quote name='ssjmichael']The three ghibli movies posted above look to be coming out May 22nd. Hopefully there is incentives for buying multiples.[/QUOTE]

Amazon now has a "Order The Secret World of Arrietty and an eligible Studio Ghibli title to save $8 on your total purchase" offer, which works with pre-ordering either of the other two titles with it. I was hoping for some kind of better incentive on getting all three (since I definitely will be), but it might not be a bad idea to lock in an order for at least two of them now just in case that's the best it gets.

They're still listing them all at $35.99 each, but of course that will almost certainly drop before the release date.

Did anyone else have amazon cancel their preorders for Laputa and Whispers? I preordered all three when they were posted in this thread, then about 2-3 weeks ago amazon sent me emails saying they were cancelling orders due to having difficulty getting stock. Arrietty survived the cancellation though.

[quote name='EdgeCrusher36']Did anyone else have amazon cancel their preorders for Laputa and Whispers? I preordered all three when they were posted in this thread, then about 2-3 weeks ago amazon sent me emails saying they were cancelling orders due to having difficulty getting stock. Arrietty survived the cancellation though.[/QUOTE]

They cancelled all orders for the other 2 when they took down the listings

[quote name='arcane93']Amazon now has a "Order The Secret World of Arrietty and an eligible Studio Ghibli title to save $8 on your total purchase" offer, which works with pre-ordering either of the other two titles with it. I was hoping for some kind of better incentive on getting all three (since I definitely will be), but it might not be a bad idea to lock in an order for at least two of them now just in case that's the best it gets.

They're still listing them all at $35.99 each, but of course that will almost certainly drop before the release date.[/QUOTE]Amazon lists the offer as lasting through June 22, so is there much point to locking in an order now? Has Amazon ever prematurely cancelled an offer like this?

I'm not saying it's not worth locking in, but it's possible the price for either might drop soon after their release date.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Arrietty dropped to 29.99[/QUOTE]

Nice find! I combo'ed this with the $8 off promo and the Amazon GC deal they had a month ago to get this and Laputa for $47. Maybe the prices will drop a little more the closer we get to the 22nd.

[quote name='Vigilante']Amazon lists the offer as lasting through June 22, so is there much point to locking in an order now? Has Amazon ever prematurely cancelled an offer like this?

I'm not saying it's not worth locking in, but it's possible the price for either might drop soon after their release date.[/QUOTE]

Hm... Either I somehow totally missed that date before, or they've added it since I posted. That's really odd, though -- usually these Amazon pre-order discount deals on Disney titles end well in advance of release date. But if they've got an end date on it, I doubt they'll end it early.

That being said, they're Disney titles, and those tend to stay expensive for a while. I'd be highly surprised to see the prices drop lower than the release day price within a month.

Did anyone else notice that the release for Arrietty includes the English track only? Damn you Disney! I'm sure the English tracks aren't bad but I would hate not having that option. Might need to re-think this...

[quote name='shadow17x']Did anyone else notice that the release for Arrietty includes the English track only? Damn you Disney! I'm sure the English tracks aren't bad but I would hate not having that option. Might need to re-think this...[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't, and if it's listed that way it's a mistake. The American release will include the original Japanese language track, the American dub, and the European dub.

Arrietty showed up in my Gold Box today, so I preordered that and Castle in the Sky and was still able to get the $8 savings through the "Order The Secret World of Arrietty and an eligible Studio Ghibli title to save $8 on your total purchase" promotion.

I noticed, though, that the information for the offer occasionally doesn't appear on Arrietty's product page, but rest assured, it's still there. For the curious and/or those who can't find the promo details, the "eligible Studio Ghibli title" appear to be restricted to Castle in the Sky, Whispers of the Heart, Ponyo, and Nausicaa (all BR+DVD).

bread's done
Back