Unravel Collector's Edition Glitch @ BB for $15 (XB1/PS4)

neudog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
281 (100%)
​So thanks as always to this great community I was excited to see Unravel Collector's Edition w/ Yarny figure for $15 on the homepage via link (https://t.co/9EQxugx7L4). Well I figured out this is a glitch which is why you cannot order it online or pick-up in store from website. When the item is rang up it automatically populates both Digital Code SKU and Yarny Box SKU. So the game is actually the original $34.99 that was on BB website prior to release on July 31. Fortunately for me I still have friends at BB and easily got the price adjusted. Also Game code is located on receipt and not in packaging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who the hell are you guys calling? I called 1800 Best Buy the lady barley spoke English and just told me that yes they have codes and they have to send the case to the digital Code Center and it will take 24 Hrs. Mind you this was 24 hrs ago and they lady told me I have to wait another 24 hrs since she forgot to add the xbox one version of it, and still nothing. I want to know the names of the people you talked to. because this is ridicules.

The process is as follows:

- Purchase the CE at Best Buy and have them either void or zero out the digital code (having them zero it out is difficult now that the website doesn't have a price for this)

- If they voided the code, contact CS by calling them and asking for the digital download department

- Simply tell them your code was not included on the receipt and give them your CS pin at the bottom of the receipt so they can verify what game it is for

- They should tell you it will be escalated to the guys who can issue codes and will verify the email address to send it to

- While they say 24 hours is the timeframe, 20-30 minutes is about the average to expect

That's really all there is to it. I went in blind and managed to get it NP.

The process is as follows:

- Purchase the CE at Best Buy and have them either void or zero out the digital code (having them zero it out is difficult now that the website doesn't have a price for this)
- If they voided the code, contact CS by calling them and asking for the digital download department
- Simply tell them your code was not included on the receipt and give them your CS pin at the bottom of the receipt so they can verify what game it is for
- They should tell you it will be escalated to the guys who can issue codes and will verify the email address to send it to
- While they say 24 hours is the timeframe, 20-30 minutes is about the average to expect

That's really all there is to it. I went in blind and managed to get it NP.
Why is this thread still alive? .. This is fraud

So how hard is it to have them zero out the code now? There are a few at my bestbuy still... It's tempting at $15 for the PS4 version even though it will be free on EA access soon...

Just did this but my receipt only shows the doll. No code is zeroed out on receipt. Cashier asked me if I wanted code and I said no. Lol, did I do this wrong?

Just did this but my receipt only shows the doll. No code is zeroed out on receipt. Cashier asked me if I wanted code and I said no. Lol, did I do this wrong?
Nope. Now just call BB customer service and lie to them and say you thought it would come with a code.

Hey the scum is the idiots that decided to do a physical figure only and not include the game in it, Physically.
I am not for or against people calling in to get a code for this game, but this comment is way off base.

No one is forcing people to buy the figure without the game. Some people are fine paying $15 for just Yarny. Some aren't, just because you feel it should include the game for that price doesn't mean the developers/publishers are scum/idiots.

$15 for the figure I'm fine with, but if your going to charge $35 at least include the physical game. $20 max should be the price point for the Figure plus digital version on the game. I'm sorry but that's how I feel about it.

P.S - But then again were talking about EA here.

$15 for the figure I'm fine with, but if your going to charge $35 at least include the physical game. $20 max should be the price point for the Figure plus digital version on the game. I'm sorry but that's how I feel about it.

P.S - But then again were talking about EA here.
So you're saying the voucher should basically cost $5? That devalues the digital version a great deal and makes zero sense from a financial point. The game digitally is $20 normally. $35-15=$20 for the figure if you look at it that way. Yeah sure a physically copy would be nice for collectors at a price point of $35, but I don't feel a digital bundle with the figure for $35 is bad either considering how many people fell in love with Yarny when he was shown 2 E3's ago.

Got mine a few days ago. Was as painless as you guys mentioned. Glad the website listing going down didn't fuck us all over.

Why is this thread still alive? .. This is fraud
People who pay the $20 for the code, also get a second code for free regardless. Are they unwitting fraudsters as well?

Anyway, nobody's lying about their purchase or making a stink. You literally call up, ask about getting a code for your purchase and they give it to you, whilst having access to the entirety of your receipt. It's on them to deny it, just like it's on them to not allow you to void the code in the first place. So no, it's not fraud unless you go out of your way to make up some nonsense story, which isn't even necessary.

I actually returned my Xbone CE today (having used the code, of course) in order to rebuy it towards the Ibotta rebate because I was dumb and forgot to get my barcode scanned the first time. Now if you said calling up and asking for another code was fraud, I'd be much more inclined to agree with you, which is why I have not done so.

I am not for or against people calling in to get a code for this game, but this comment is way off base.

No one is forcing people to buy the figure without the game. Some people are fine paying $15 for just Yarny. Some aren't, just because you feel it should include the game for that price doesn't mean the developers/publishers are scum/idiots.
You are more or less paying $15 for Yarny since you can technically return it and keep your code. Feels too dirty though, and it helps that red is my favourite colour so he's cute enough to want to keep.

That said, I agree with him in the sense that $35 for the whole package is a giant rip-off. You're not only paying $15 for a silly cheap yarn doll and unexciting box with no other extras, but you're paying a full $20 MSRP for a digital download code that doesn't even come on a piece of paper/cardboard. It's absolutely a rip-off.

Compare that to Ori's physical edition. $20 ($16 after GCU) for a physical version of the Definitive Edition with a digital download of the original and a physical soundtrack. Yeah, it doesn't come with a yarn doll, but still. Not to mention, Unravel's been out for about 6 months and is already "free" with EA Access and had multiple 50% off sales, meaning its digital value is already rather low.

Now if the CE had been priced at $25 and included a physical copy of the game (a soundtrack would have also been nice) or priced at $20 and stick to being digital (at least include a nice piece of paper inside the box for the code or something, jeez), that'd have been a lot more reasonable.

tl;dr I don't feel bad because $15's about what it's worth to begin with.

Also, lol at anyone who thinks digital copies have as much value as retail copies. The production costs are inherently much, much lower.

So you're saying the voucher should basically cost $5? That devalues the digital version a great deal and makes zero sense from a financial point. The game digitally is $20 normally. $35-20=$10 for the figure if you look at it that way. Or $15 for the figure and you save $5 on the digital game. Yeah sure a physically copy would be nice for collectors at a price point of $35, but I don't feel a digital bundle with the figure for $35 is bad either considering how many people fell in love with Yarny when he was shown 2 E3's ago.
You do know Digital games on PS Plus or Xbox Live Gold do go on sale sometimes as low as $5 - $10 and this game has been out since Feb 2016. Yes I am a collector and I would have rather have a Physical copy of the game at a $35 price point shit I would have paid $40. I don't see the sense in playing $20 for a digital game that I know is going to go on sale sooner or later.

You do know Digital games on PS Plus or Xbox Live Gold do go on sale sometimes as low as $5 - $10 and this game has been out since Feb 2016. Yes I am a collector and I would have rather have a Physical copy of the game at a $35 price point shit I would have paid $40. I don't see the sense in playing $20 for a digital game that I know is going to go on sale sooner or later.
That is the mentality of a CAG and there is nothing wrong with that, we all share that mentality here, but as a business you can't price things that way. That is why there is MSRP and then sale prices. By devaluing the digital version with a bundle it would annoy Sony/MS who get a cut of the digital sales but not physical ones.

That is why you don't see a big price different with digital games over physical for consoles in terms of MSRP. Publishers know they would sell more digital then physical which is good for them due to less overhead with digital if pricing were more in line with Steam. But stores like Wal-Mart and Amazon would push back due to being undercut and might not carry their games, it has been known to happen.

If high speed internet had a higher market saturation that allowed publishers more freedom to ignore retail pushback they could be more daring in the pricing structure, but until then we have to deal with stuff like this. PC is separate because 99% of PC gamers are more likely to have high speed internet, but there are console gamers out there who either don't have internet or have very slow internet because they don't care about online play.

So as CAGs we wait for sales, but companies want to get top dollar for things.

Got mine a few days ago. Was as painless as you guys mentioned. Glad the website listing going down didn't fuck us all over.

People who pay the $20 for the code, also get a second code for free regardless. Are they unwitting fraudsters as well?

Anyway, nobody's lying about their purchase or making a stink. You literally call up, ask about getting a code for your purchase and they give it to you, whilst having access to the entirety of your receipt. It's on them to deny it, just like it's on them to not allow you to void the code in the first place. So no, it's not fraud unless you go out of your way to make up some nonsense story, which isn't even necessary.

I actually returned my Xbone CE today (having used the code, of course) in order to rebuy it towards the Ibotta rebate because I was dumb and forgot to get my barcode scanned the first time. Now if you said calling up and asking for another code was fraud, I'd be much more inclined to agree with you, which is why I have not done so.

You are more or less paying $15 for Yarny since you can technically return it and keep your code. Feels too dirty though, and it helps that red is my favourite colour so he's cute enough to want to keep.

That said, I agree with him in the sense that $35 for the whole package is a giant rip-off. You're not only paying $15 for a silly cheap yarn doll and unexciting box with no other extras, but you're paying a full $20 MSRP for a digital download code that doesn't even come on a piece of paper/cardboard. It's absolutely a rip-off.

Compare that to Ori's physical edition. $20 ($16 after GCU) for a physical version of the Definitive Edition with a digital download of the original and a physical soundtrack. Yeah, it doesn't come with a yarn doll, but still. Not to mention, Unravel's been out for about 6 months and is already "free" with EA Access and had multiple 50% off sales, meaning it's digital value is already rather low.

Now if the CE had been priced at $25 and included a physical copy of the game (a soundtrack would have also been nice) or priced at $20 and stick to being digital (at least include a nice piece of paper inside the box for the code or something, jeez), that'd have been a lot more reasonable.

tl;dr I don't feel bad because $15's about what it's worth to begin with.

Also, lol at anyone who thinks digital copies have as much value as retail copies. The production costs are inherently much, much lower.
Tl:dr ... Summary "I'm scum and trash so I'm going to justify fraud and stealing because I don't think the product is with their asking price"

It's fraud without question. No matter how you justify it.

Tl:dr ... Summary "I'm scum and trash so I'm going to justify fraud and stealing because I don't think the product is with their asking price"

LOL. This back and forth is really something

Summary:
1st member: youre a poopy head!!
2nd member: (long but detailed respond)
1st member: oh yeah.....well youre still a poopy head. Tee hee

It's not actually fraud. Immoral? Probably.
Yeah, I'd put it in the "morally negative" territory, but just barely. I'm sure we've all done far worse things in life than ask if we were entitled to a code for a cheap EA game for purchasing a yarn doll for $15 from a large store chain.

LOL. This back and forth is really something

Summary:
1st member: youre a poopy head!!
2nd member: (long but detailed respond)
1st member: oh yeah.....well youre still a poopy head. Tee hee
Yeah, I expected a much lengthier response. I was almost relieved to not see a wall of text I had to argue with. Still funny though.

Stealing? You mean I not only didn't pay for the doll, but I snuck into the Best Buy headquarters and stole a code? I had no idea I had such a bad case of sleepwalking.

You had a better case for fraud than thievery, as flimsy as your original argument was.

No need to be so self-righteous.

Calling and lieing to say you were shorted something when you specifically asked to have that item removed is fraud
Except like I mentioned earlier, if you bought the doll and the code, you got 2 codes, not 1. So you're still not getting 1 of the codes (the one on your original receipt) unless you're crazy or an asshole and run back into the store saying you paid the $20 extra and didn't get a code.

I don't know about other people, but I didn't really say anything too outrageous on the phone (just played dumb asking if the doll I bought was supposed to come with a digital copy of the game). In addition, the ease of which this was resolved suggests that A) they probably don't care very much because these are going to sell like shit anyway and take up a decent amount of space (which is valued very highly in the retail world) and B) they're prepared for these kind of calls, meaning somebody up the chain must have given some sort of blanket approval. I just don't think it's my responsibility to correct Best Buy's oversights (glitches, for example).

Trying to argue against my opinion about what I personally think is fraud (even though I would get laughed out of court if I brought it in as a fraud case) still makes it fraud because I am the moral authority on all things.
FTFY.

And that's about all I've got to say on the matter.

Yeah, I'd put it in the "morally negative" territory, but just barely. I'm sure we've all done far worse things in life than ask if we were entitled to a code for a cheap EA game for purchasing a yarn doll for $15 from a large store chain.

Yeah, I expected a much lengthier response. I was almost relieved to not see a wall of text I had to argue with. Still funny though.

Stealing? You mean I not only didn't pay for the doll, but I snuck into the Best Buy headquarters and stole a code? I had no idea I had such a bad case of sleepwalking.

You had a better case for fraud than thievery, as flimsy as your original argument was.

No need to be so self-righteous.

Except like I mentioned earlier, if you bought the doll and the code, you got 2 codes, not 1. So you're still not getting 1 of the codes (the one on your original receipt) unless you're crazy or an asshole and run back into the store saying you paid the $20 extra and didn't get a code.

I don't know about other people, but I didn't really say anything too outrageous on the phone (just played dumb asking if the doll I bought was supposed to come with a digital copy of the game). In addition, the ease of which this was resolved suggests that A) they probably don't care very much because these are going to sell like shit anyway and take up a decent amount of space (which is valued very highly in the retail world) and B) they're prepared for these kind of calls, meaning somebody up the chain must have given some sort of blanket approval. I just don't think it's my responsibility to correct Best Buy's oversights (glitches, for example).

FTFY.

And that's about all I've got to say on the matter.
You don't get two codes. You have very low moral values and are just trying to justify it.

You don't get two codes. You have very low moral values and are just trying to justify it.

You are very passionate about your stance aren't you?!? Anyway, I only got one code myself so not sure where the second one would come from
You only got 2 if you paid the full $34.99 and didn't void the code purchase at checkout.

From the Collector's Edition thread:

It came a download code on the receipt and if you have a BB account, another code was emailed to you. I bought the game awhile ago on xbl for $10 so I only wanted the figure but got a 2nd code regardless. On the receipt it charges you $20 then -$20 for the game.

I managed to get mine price adjusted, but the guy there said they normally don't do it for anything that is out of stock. I guess he made an exception for me :) Also, afterwards I was emailed an additional download code for the game too.

So I saw a handful of Yarnys behind the counter today while making an in-store pick up. What's the story with these things? The ones that I saw didn't look like they were labeled, and I don't see them listed on Best Buy's website.

So I saw a handful of Yarnys behind the counter today while making an in-store pick up. What's the story with these things? The ones that I saw didn't look like they were labeled, and I don't see them listed on Best Buy's website.
The stores in my area still have quite a few left too. You could probably still score one for $15, just at check out, tell 'em you don't want the DLC code in the bundle.

I saw several at my local store, but they rang up for $36. I tried to have the cashier just charge the $15, but he said that wasn't an option. 

bread's done
Back