Unreal 4 engine > pc upgrade

yester

CAGiversary!
Hi, i just read an article about the new game engine and i wonder what hardware one would need to take advantage of games that will use it in the future.

I need to build a new pc from the ground up and haven't decided what way to go on hardware.
Since this is not urgent (games will not appear for a while) it may be to early to get in the upgrade mode, but still i wonder about the hardware. If i buy something i like to buy hardware that will make sense for the future. (if i can)

If your goal is to buy hardware for an engine and games not yet out, your best bet is to not buy anything until that time. Anything you buy now now, even the most expensive thing, will likely be outdated by that time.

for graphic cards the main thing is if they are going to do a dx upgrade anytime soon or not.

Probably not till windows 8 and honestly the new consoles are going to be dx11 cards so since most the good pc games are ports from the consoles, you wont be seeing DX12 type of graphics anytime soon

honestly though a 2600 sandy bridge will last ya a long time. my 920 i7 i built 3 years ago runs vary good and probably will be close to top of the line for gaming for another 3 years. :)

I think you may be right.
True it will not be out for some while. My main concern is my graphics card which is a little old now.
I have a Nvidia GT8800 and i have absolutely no idea with what to replace it. So from what you stated i think i might be ok to replace it with something current but not to expensive.

My hope was of course that it will surface maybe next year. I like to buy stuff that can last a while. But then again, i also have my limits. :whistle2:#

If your current video card is not doing what you want it to do, I think a GTX460 would be a good upgrade for you (Radeon equivalent is ~6850).

Upgrading for a future engine is kind of silly. Because the hardware is generally ahead of the software these days, you don't need a very powerful system to have a good gaming experience. I'm still using a Radeon 6770 and a dual core CPU and I couldn't be happier.

Not sure if i need an upgrade. I just started Skyrim (if thats a reference) and can play it in high with 1980x1080 fine. Its a little laggy but ok.

Got to check for a comparable list of sorts.
Thanks for the suggestion and yes, maybe i hoped for to much or i got to exited. Aehm... :)

From what I read they used 3 of the top of the line nVidia cards at the time. I'm sure everything else was top of the line also.

bread's done
Back