UP [Blu-ray] SteelBook with preorder at Best Buy starting 10/11

iNCREDiPiNOY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
Another one, Best Buy is having pre-sell on UP SteelBook on for $14.99 online ($7.50 sale). Similar to Snow White strategy, put a down payment and get a free empty steelbook case then come back on release date to pick up your copy and pay the balance.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...up+pre-sell&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=2051444

original

Credit to Kerig

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Credit to Xeno

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, the steelbook for Snow White at Best Buy is also listed as a DVD:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=snow+white&lp=6&type=product&cp=1&id=2022185

Plus, there's only one of them listed at Best Buy for Snow White, so I'm sure it's the same one.

Here's the link to Up on BR at BB:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9506073&st=up&lp=5&type=product&cp=1&id=2019957

It's at $27.99, which is the same price as it currently is on Amazon, which used to be $31.99. My guess is that Amazon saw the BB price and dropped it down to $27.99.

I'm also assuming it's the same 4-disc one that Amazon has as their pre-order listing, though as they don't have any others, we should have the same 4-disc one.

Also, the release date is 10/11/09, which is a Sunday. I'd guess we'll see if there's a BB ad in two weeks offering the steelbook as a pre-order bonus. Up has a release date of 11/10/09, which is about a month in advance. Snow White's steelbook had a release date of 08/30/09, which was also a Sunday, for a 10/06/09 release date, also about a month in advance.

I think we should be checking BB with the search term of "steelbook" every so often to see if we're going to get more of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked up a Snow White steelbook today. Will have to go and grab and UP! one if it's available for blu.

Its pretty cool that BB is getting steelbooks. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread to see if the blu-ray comes up. Hopefully they get steelbooks for other Pixar movies.

So wait, does this mean the DVD is only going to be $15?

I'm definitely going to buy the DVD but I'm not sure I understand how this system works. This is a preorder to purchase an empty steelbook which itself is a preorder for the UP DVD, correct?

[quote name='Rocko']So wait, does this mean the DVD is only going to be $15?[/quote]
No. It's this much:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9506162&st=Up&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=2019957

I'm definitely going to buy the DVD but I'm not sure I understand how this system works. This is a preorder to purchase an empty steelbook which itself is a preorder for the UP DVD, correct?
It's quite simple: you reserve the movie for $7.50, and you get the empty steelbook for free when you preorder. When the DVD is out, you go in with your receipt, pay the balance, and get the movie in the regular plastic DVD case.

OR, you can technically "buy" the steelbook case ALONE for $14.99, and NOT preorder the movie, if you wanted to do this for some bizarre reason. However, seeing as how pre-ordering the DVD (which gets you the case for free) does NOT oblige you to actually BUY the movie when it comes out, only a complete retard would actually do this, instead of just preordering for $7.50 and just keeping the case.

Oh, okay, thanks. The $14.99 price was throwing me off.

Guess I'll be going to BB to grab this in a few weeks.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It's quite simple: you reserve the movie for $7.50, and you get the empty steelbook for free when you preorder. When the DVD is out, you go in with your receipt, pay the balance, and get the movie in the regular plastic DVD case.

OR, you can technically "buy" the steelbook case ALONE for $14.99, and NOT preorder the movie, if you wanted to do this for some bizarre reason. However, seeing as how pre-ordering the DVD (which gets you the case for free) does NOT oblige you to actually BUY the movie when it comes out, only a complete retard would actually do this, instead of just preordering for $7.50 and just keeping the case.[/QUOTE]This is assuming it works like the Snow White one did, which I can't see any reason why it wouldn't.

As I'm making the guess it should tie into the ad from two weeks from now, we should know around then if it'll be the same or not.

I think I'll pick up this one at BB. I want it on blu ray but I think what I might do is buy the BD also, sell the DVD on ebay or something, then just put the BD disc inside the steelbook.

I'm guessing you'd have to return the steelbook if you returned the dvd or cancelled the preorder?

[quote name='Thedrknss48']I'm guessing you'd have to return the steelbook if you returned the dvd or cancelled the preorder?[/QUOTE]

Don't even, man.

Coffee, you linked to the 2-disc with the worthless digital copy for $21.99. What about the single-disc version for $16.99?

I sure as balls don't want to pay extra for a digital copy.

If it only applies to BD or DVD+Digital, I'll be giving them $7.99 for the fake preorder gimme-steelbook, then wait to buy it used from either FamilyVideo for $5.99 (how I got Bolt a little while back) or possibly Redbox for $7 shortly after release (they had Coraline and Watchmen available to buy for $7 about 2-3 weeks after release).

Darkness: If it works like Snow White, you can preorder the BD version and they'll still give you the DVD steelbook. See here for more info on that.

A bit off topic here, but I pre-ordered the Snow White steelbook the day the offer was offically made available and didn't even know that I could go and pick it up already. However, I ordered it on BB's web site and made it for store pick-up. I have yet to be charged for anything, so technically I haven't really put a down payment. Since I don't want to waste time/gas going down to my local BB, do you think I could just go on release day and grab both the steelbook and the BD in one go?

Easy-to-answer question:

If I pre-order B&M in one store to get the steelbook, can I use the $7.50 preorder credit at a BB in a completely different state to purchase the DVD? Or will it be like Gamestop where the place you preorder is the place you need to pick it up at?

[quote name='Kerig']Easy-to-answer question:

If I pre-order B&M in one store to get the steelbook, can I use the $7.50 preorder credit at a BB in a completely different state to purchase the DVD? Or will it be like Gamestop where the place you preorder is the place you need to pick it up at?[/QUOTE]

I'm not positive, but I think you can probably pick it up at any best buy, because their preorder system isn't like gamestop, it doesn't seem like they reserve you a copy. You just grab a copy of the shelf and take it to the register with your preorder receipt which knocks of whatever you already paid..

Thanks for the quick reply. I definitely want the steelbook cover if it looks anything close to this:

original

[quote name='Kerig']Thanks for the quick reply. I definitely want the steelbook cover if it looks anything close to this:

original
[/QUOTE]
Updated with artwork thanks Kerig!

kerig - the pre order credit does follow you wherever and you can use it which ever store you want to, however the store you pre order it at is supposed to pull a copy for you and if you get a jerk customer service rep, you could run into problems. so in short ymmv

[quote name='Raye']A bit off topic here, but I pre-ordered the Snow White steelbook the day the offer was offically made available and didn't even know that I could go and pick it up already. However, I ordered it on BB's web site and made it for store pick-up. I have yet to be charged for anything, so technically I haven't really put a down payment. Since I don't want to waste time/gas going down to my local BB, do you think I could just go on release day and grab both the steelbook and the BD in one go?[/QUOTE]

If you really want the steelbook I would suggest that you call or head down there to pick it up before the release day since most BB employees are completely clueless to this promotion and your pre-ordered steelbook might not have been set aside.

Incredi-I tried adding both to my cart, but the item for which you provided the link does not come up free. Do I need to do something differently? On the Snow White BD it had a hyperlinked note on the BD item screen, that said "Free Steelbook", but this one does not. Thanks in advance for your help-Digitalbabe

well i guess this is confirmed with the leaked bb ad. looks pretty much like the one listed above. will pre-order this weekend! thanks op for the heads up

The ad for next week mentions the steelbook preorder, but it only mentions Blu-ray. Nothing about DVD, single or double disc. They're either trying to focus only on Blu, or it will be YMMV if interested in DVD.

Upsteel.jpg

Since we're not likely to get a coupon for Up like we did with Snow White, I wonder how BB's pricing will fit in with Amazon, DeepDiscount, TRU, Target and Walmart.

Amazon has it for $27.99 right now, to match BB. Walmart is at $27.86, like they always do to undercut the competition.

This is certainly a game changer...I want one for my gf and one for me. I really like that steelbook...

This will be just like the Snow White Steel. Just go in grab your copy pre order it for $7.50, go back on release date(11/10) go to customer service and show them your receipt and they will take $7.50 off.

BTW I believe Wall-E had a $10 off coupon when it came out. Also Ian from Futureshop said that the 12 weeks of Disney will only be Blu Ray Steelbook's, no DVD Steelbook's.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Looks like Best Buy is following Future Shop 12 weeks of Disney! :)[/QUOTE]

I sure hope so, that would save me a ton of dough.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I sure hope so, that would save me a ton of dough.[/QUOTE]

Yeah same here and I hope they have $10 off coupons to go along with them too.

If Best Buy does end up having the other 10 steelbooks that FutureShop was offering, my wallet is going to be quite pained for double-dipping on movies.

[quote name='shrike4242']If Best Buy does end up having the other 10 steelbooks that FutureShop was offering, my wallet is going to be quite pained for double-dipping on movies.[/QUOTE]

Same here, can't wait!

Is there a way to make this in-store pickup? It is not giving me that option in the checkout. So I'd have to pay shipping fees too, which really isnt much, but still :/

[quote name='leftwing1018']Is there a way to make this in-store pickup? It is not giving me that option in the checkout. So I'd have to pay shipping fees too, which really isnt much, but still :/[/QUOTE]

Maybe the in-store pick-up option won't go live until Sunday

bread's done
Back