Up to 75% off games for OnLive

It almost sounds like the service is on life support, and considering how this is cloud gaming, it's not a very good sign.

I am quite happy and impressed with the service itself. Almost zero lag for me using a wired X360 controller playing Homefront on Onlive at around 6PM EST. Tried one mp match and it wasn't to bad, but I didn't finish it as I had to leave.

FYI, some of the games on sale (prices are for Fullpass):
Mafia 2 - $14.99
Alien vs Predator - $5.00
Borderlands - $5.00
Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition - $7.50
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days - $5.00
Braid - $2.50
Shattered - $2.25

[quote name='n1c0']It almost sounds like the service is on life support, and considering how this is cloud gaming, it's not a very good sign.[/QUOTE]

Look, I don't like the concept of this either. But I don't think OnLive is on "life support". They just had HTC invest in them and the service will be available through Vizio products soon. I think they realize that they have to compete with Steam and other services on price if they want to sell this concept. Personally, I think they have to have much cheaper "everyday" pricing as well as have great weekly sales if they want to expand their business. Hell, Like I said I don't like the concept (I feel it screws consumers out of the few rights they have left regarding software), but I almost bit on their Homefront deal.

[quote name='mogamer']Look, I don't like the concept of this either. But I don't think OnLive is on "life support". They just had HTC invest in them and the service will be available through Vizio products soon. I think they realize that they have to compete with Steam and other services on price if they want to sell this concept. Personally, I think they have to have much cheaper "everyday" pricing as well as have great weekly sales if they want to expand their business. Hell, Like I said I don't like the concept (I feel it screws consumers out of the few rights they have left regarding software), but I almost bit on their Homefront deal.[/QUOTE]

I actually like the concept, but only to use for renting games. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Onlive rents out many of their new releases, which makes the service less useful to me. If it could turn into a service where I could rent a game for 3 days the day the game came out, I would definitely jump in. Using the service to buy new games (Full Passes) is pointless though, as you only "own" them as long as they have them on their service.

If I could rent new games as soon as they came out, I could tolerate the muddy graphics and constant connection drops every 5-10minutes. Playing through Splinter Cell Conviction and a good chunk of Metro 2033 showed me that their service just isn't up to par in my area. Splinter Cell ran quite nice, with no noticeable lag and decent graphics, but plenty of moments where the onlive servers lost my connection. Metro 2033 on the other hand had a terrible lag and the graphics were unbearably bad. I am running a 15Mb/s connection and usually see 30Mb/s. I also don't have these kinds of drops while streaming other media/online gaming so I know it is on Onlive's side.

They are supposed to be adding a new server closer to Ohio though, so maybe the service will improve then...

I m kind of confused on the service part of Online. I just came from their site and it seems that there are two different services. One is a subscription based service that lets people play games that are on the subscription list. Then there is another that you buy their games and you play it like anything else. But where I am confused and maybe I am wrong about the whole thing. If I bought Homefront (example), do I download the game like Steam or do I play if off of their servers? And what happens if the service goes under and I have bought several games?

First of all, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on Alien vs Predator at this price. Nice deals here.

Second of all, this service really rocks when utilized just for the Playback subscription, which is about to get a bunch of Square Enix games (and old Eidos and Looking Glass games by extension). I'm just excited to finally play Thief and Deus Ex again.

Lastly, your proximity to a data center has an impact on your experience. I'm in Rochester NY and I think the two closest data centers are Chicago and DC. Not sure. Anyway, it runs well for me and I can't complain at all.

It should be noted that your PC needs to be at least dual core. I've had trouble running it on a single core desktop, but it runs like a dream on my dual core notebook.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']I actually like the concept, but only to use for renting games. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Onlive rents out many of their new releases, which makes the service less useful to me. If it could turn into a service where I could rent a game for 3 days the day the game came out, I would definitely jump in. Using the service to buy new games (Full Passes) is pointless though, as you only "own" them as long as they have them on their service.

If I could rent new games as soon as they came out, I could tolerate the muddy graphics and constant connection drops every 5-10minutes. Playing through Splinter Cell Conviction and a good chunk of Metro 2033 showed me that their service just isn't up to par in my area. Splinter Cell ran quite nice, with no noticeable lag and decent graphics, but plenty of moments where the onlive servers lost my connection. Metro 2033 on the other hand had a terrible lag and the graphics were unbearably bad. I am running a 15Mb/s connection and usually see 30Mb/s. I also don't have these kinds of drops while streaming other media/online gaming so I know it is on Onlive's side.

They are supposed to be adding a new server closer to Ohio though, so maybe the service will improve then...[/QUOTE]

Yah, I live in Michigan and have noticed the same thing with kb/m lag (noticeable, but not terrible) and the graphics. For me, it's 720p with a coating of vaseline. ;)

But I did forget that OnLive does have the $9.99/month service. If it was a bit better with the graphics and lag, I would probably sign up for it. I was a member of Gametap for a few years, so that kind of service works for me. And you are right about the lateness of releases and the lack of available rentals.

[quote name='Saryk'] If I bought Homefront (example), do I download the game like Steam or do I play if off of their servers? And what happens if the service goes under and I have bought several games?[/QUOTE]

It's streaming only and you're basically screwed if they go under. That's one of the reason's I don't like it. Although, I do think the monthly service is acceptable (if they had more current games in it).

[quote name='mogamer']It's streaming only and you're basically screwed if they go under. That's one of the reason's I don't like it. Although, I do think the monthly service is acceptable (if they had more current games in it).[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of people, including myself, expect the service to fail. Hence, many people are reluctant to purchase games through OnLive.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I think a lot of people, including myself, expect the service to fail. Hence, many people are reluctant to purchase games through OnLive.[/QUOTE]

I do feel that you're right on that.

OnLive could sell more if the publishers said that you could download your purchases if the service ever went under. But then that would defeat the purpose of a publisher signing up with OnLive (ultimate control of their product).

Onlive is free to signup for. You purchase/rent content.
They also have a separate tier where you pay a monthly fee and have unlimited access to a selection of games.
Games have demos so you can test onlive on your setup.
I hadn't heard anything about them struggling, the service has gotten decent media attention and if they can get a working ipad app up, it could take off.
This site isn't really their target audience, though.

So the $9.99 a month unlimited play membership is that for any and all titles or just certain ones? I'd be interested in it if I could play everything they have to offer for only $10 a month, like Netflix for gaming. I'd buy anything I really wanted and no not from them, from steam or preferably a physical copy.

It's for a select group of titles. The list is here.
OnLive PlayPack Games:
trans.png

trans.png

4 Elements
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!
Alien Shooter
Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000
Battle: LA
Bioshock
Brain Challenge
The Bard’s Tale
Ceville
Defense Grid Gold
Dimensity
Evil Genius
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
Flatout 2

Frontlines: Fuel of War
Gene Labs
Hotel
King’s Bounty: Armored Princess
King’s Legacy
LEGO Batman
The Maw
Madballs in Babo: Invasion
Men of War: Red Tide
NBA 2K10
Ninja Blade
Pathologic
Port Royale 2
Prince of Persia

Puzzle Chronicles
Saw
Star Wolves 3
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
Titan Quest: Gold
Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X.
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Trine
Tropico 3
Unreal Tournament III: Titan Pack
Wheelman
World of Goo
Zombie Shooter 2

Thanks, I'm on my phone so it's hard to navigate onlive's site. Wow. That's not much at all. 42 games and only a handful I'd even be interested in. I guess it really is like Netflix then. Lol.

I think ill put down 10 or 20 bucks and give a few games a try on this service. Probably borderlands, avp, unreal tournament, and something else. Reluctant though as others have said.

They just announced a deal with Square Enix, and they've indicated Tomb Raider, Thief, and Deus Ex will be in PlayPack soon. Some folks in the community are hoping for the Final Fantasy games that were on PC, as well others.

The biggest problem OnLive has is not having gotten Activision or EA on board yet.

But this service is getting built into TVs right now. Soon it will be on tablets. It really is a matter of time until it is on the same level as Steam or Games for Windows.

[quote name='Darknuke']AvP for $5? Sounds like a great deal to me. I may finally get that game for that price.[/QUOTE]

That and maybe Borderlands GOTY.

I bit on the Homefront deal. I love it. I don't notice too much lag. Haven't tried any online multiplayer yet. Also, i get my mircoconsole tomorrow.

I don't have a problem purchasing any games from them. Good games, good prices, and good service.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']I think ill put down 10 or 20 bucks and give a few games a try on this service. Probably borderlands, avp, unreal tournament, and something else. Reluctant though as others have said.[/QUOTE]

It is free to sign up and demo each game for roughly 30min-hour, depending on the game. I would demo each of those games on the service first before diving into any purchases.

[quote name='zubalove']First of all, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on Alien vs Predator at this price. Nice deals here.

Second of all, this service really rocks when utilized just for the Playback subscription, which is about to get a bunch of Square Enix games (and old Eidos and Looking Glass games by extension). I'm just excited to finally play Thief and Deus Ex again.

Lastly, your proximity to a data center has an impact on your experience. I'm in Rochester NY and I think the two closest data centers are Chicago and DC. Not sure. Anyway, it runs well for me and I can't complain at all.

It should be noted that your PC needs to be at least dual core. I've had trouble running it on a single core desktop, but it runs like a dream on my dual core notebook.[/QUOTE]

Theres a cag in the trader section selling Alien Vs Predator for steam for $5, i picked up a copy off him but still havent play it.

As for on live I would play it if I had any friends who used it but at the moment I don't even see many cags that use it. let alone people i know irl

[quote name='hollowfreak']Thanks, I'm on my phone so it's hard to navigate onlive's site. Wow. That's not much at all. 42 games and only a handful I'd even be interested in. I guess it really is like Netflix then. Lol.[/QUOTE]

Ehhh, Netflix has different value to different audiences. I'm a film student, so having access to instant streaming of nearly every documentary you would ever want and a number of old and rare films that are simply difficult to find on DVD is worth its weight in gold. For the price, I find Netflix streaming absolutely fantastic. But for a viewer looking for more general entertainment, choices of new and large budget movies on the service is admittedly slim. It just depends what kind of films you're looking to have access to.

I kinda want one of these to add to my collection, but the big question is will it remain useful without a subscription? I'm not thinking so, and a console that has no function now or in the future isn't all that appealing.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Ehhh, Netflix has different value to different audiences. I'm a film student, so having access to instant streaming of nearly every documentary you would ever want and a number of old and rare films that are simply difficult to find on DVD is worth its weight in gold. For the price, I find Netflix streaming absolutely fantastic. But for a viewer looking for more general entertainment, choices of new and large budget movies on the service is admittedly slim. It just depends what kind of films you're looking to have access to.[/QUOTE]

Yeah im with you on that one, netflix's stream is pretty badass, especially for just a free perk to subscribing to the dvds, at least thats my situation.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Ehhh, Netflix has different value to different audiences.[/QUOTE]

I more or less made the Netflix comment in jest. Actually, I'm a new member to it. (Best Buy promo, getting 1100 rewards points after 6 months of service) I am impressed with it so far, it's on my laptop, iPhone and ps3. I just wish it, and OnLive, streamed the new stuff too. Most of OnLive's free ($9.99mo) stuff I've either finished already, already own (that includes the upcoming stuff like Deus Ex and Thief, I own all of them), or can be had very cheap by now.

bread's done
Back