Upcoming PC Single Player RPGs

UnderwaterMadman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I have been on a single player RPG kick lately (Can't stand the MMORPGs), but don't really see too many releases on the horizon. If you know of any please post them and I will try to keep a list of them here as well as there release dates.

Name - Release Date
Space Siege - 9/18/2008
Borderlands - September 2008
Fallout 3 - Fall 2008
Rise of the Argonauts - 2008
Project Offset - Q1 2009
Dungeon Hero - March 2009
Dragonage - TBA
Drakensang: The Dark Eye (Q2 2008 in Germany, TBA elsewhere)
Afterfall (TBA)
The Age of Decadence (TBA)
Divine Divinity 2 - TBA
Sacred II - TBA

Last edited by a moderator:
Borderlands - September 2008

Oh, and depending on why you don't like MMO games:
Guild Wars 2. If its as much like Guild Wars as people say it will be, you can play it alone with the AI helpers, no monthly fee, and it has a storyline that can be beat with cutscenes and such in a reasonable amount of time. Not being able to "beat" the game is why I don't like most MMO games.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Borderlands - September 2008

Oh, and depending on why you don't like MMO games:
Guild Wars 2. If its as much like Guild Wars as people say it will be, you can play it alone with the AI helpers, no monthly fee, and it has a storyline that can be beat with cutscenes and such in a reasonable amount of time. Not being able to "beat" the game is why I don't like most MMO games.[/QUOTE]

I don't like the lack of a story, having to dedicate your life to the game, and mostly having to play with other people. I also like being to play on my laptop at places without internet access.

I actually did play guild wars a bit but got to a point where the AI helpers were useless and could not get passed a certain point.

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']I don't like the lack of a story, having to dedicate your life to the game, and mostly having to play with other people. I also like being to play on my laptop at places without internet access.

I actually did play guild wars a bit but got to a point where the AI helpers were useless and could not get passed a certain point.[/QUOTE]
Well I guarantee you, the helpers are always more than enough if you know what you're doing.

Another game for the list:
Mass Effect- May 28, 2008

Maybe they balanced it since I last played (2 years ago) but at that time they were useless and died nearly immediately. Everytime I entered the new chapter they would be good until I completed a few missions and advanced the story.

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']Maybe they balanced it since I last played (2 years ago) but at that time they were useless and died nearly immediately. Everytime I entered the new chapter they would be good until I completed a few missions and advanced the story.[/QUOTE]
Its a little easier simply because you can now flag the henchmen to get the to go where you want them too, however, with proper calling strategies, it isn't needed in the first place. I've played since release with henchmen almost exclusively, and while a few missions are very demanding, none are undoable.

New Game:
Dungeon Hero, March 2009

With the introduction of Nightfall (I think) you can recruit heroes -- basically personal henchmen who you deck out with equipment.

The thing I didn't like about GW was that you couldn't mix new classes from the different expansions. Thats what really killed the game for me. They didn't add to the game, they were just separate facets.

Really?

When second expansion came out I remember being pissed because I couldn't combine the new jobs with the ones added in the first xpac. Maybe thats something they added in Eye of the North... I haven't actually installed that one. :oops:
[quote name='crystalklear64']I might not be understanding you, but you can mix any profession with any other profession.[/quote]

Mmm... no...

If you had ascended you could just go the the Temple of Balthazar and buy your new profession, or go to Senji's Corner in Factions to buy the new profession.

If you started a Faction's character, then you had to become Weh No Su, and then purchase your professions at Senji's Corner.

If you started a Nightfall character, then you had to get to the Sunspear Sanctuary, then go to either Senji's or GToB for factions/any profession, or do the quests in the Crystal Desert if you wanted a core profession.

Either way, by the time Nightfall came out, there was the Great Temple of Balthazar where you could purchase any profession so long as the character had reached the equivalent of ascension for their campaign and you owned the game.

Eye of the North didn't really add much except more heroes and PvE stuff (consumables/PvE only skills)

[quote name='Kayden']Oh... so you cant make a character with jobs from two xpacs out of the gate... like I said. =P[/QUOTE]
You can if you make your character start in the campaign with the class available...

You could make a warrior in factions and choose ritualist as his secondary.

You can't make a warrior in prophecies and choose ritualist as his secondary right away, but you can get it eventually.

If you mean.. make an Assassin and then want to choose paragon secondary, then yea, you'd have to become Weh No Su and then buy the secondary.

project offset in q1 09? Good luck. That game is eons ahead of stuff we're seeing come out now, lord knows they're going to end up updating it to be more breakthrough when all the technology catches up in a year. The system requirements on that game are going to make crysis look like it can run on a commodore 64.

[quote name='Nowell']project offset in q1 09? Good luck. That game is eons ahead of stuff we're seeing come out now, lord knows they're going to end up updating it to be more breakthrough when all the technology catches up in a year. The system requirements on that game are going to make crysis look like it can run on a commodore 64.[/QUOTE]

That's what ceiling cat told me...

Well there's Divine Divinity 2... whenever that actually hits. Hopefully it'll be true to the original and not the shitty Beyond Divinity, because the original DD was Godlike, and is still incredibly fun to play now.

Sacred II should be on that list as well... the original was kinda meh, but if they polish that shit up and give it a little more complexity, it could be really good.

Come on now, nobody is waiting for Fallout 3?

Been waiting for the third one to come out since 2004 when I last played fallout.

[quote name='Kyo']Come on now, nobody is waiting for Fallout 3?

Been waiting for the third one to come out since 2004 when I last played fallout.[/QUOTE]

Of course everyone is waiting for it. Unfortunately it will probably be all mucked up. I pray to god it isn't but I just don't want to get my hopes up.

Unfortunately the rise of MMOs has killed a lot of RPGs. It's all about money and the monthly fees is how to strike it rich.

I'll probably pick up Guild Wars 2 when it comes out. I was thinking of getting Witcher but waiting for it to hit cheap bin because I'm not super wanting it yet.

I wouldn't even mind seeing another Diablo type game.

Wouldn't it be 3? Because the second one was Beyond Divinity.
[quote name='Draekon']...Divine Divinity 2 is in development? If that's true, hot damn.[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']Wouldn't it be 3? Because the second one was Beyond Divinity.[/QUOTE]

Naw, Beyond Divinity was considered a side-story rather than an actual sequel.

Does that Mass Effect game have that strange alien pron (misspelled on purpose) that I hear so much about? I hope they don't screw up Fallout 3.

I started playing The Witcher because it came with my videocard.

What a crappy game, how can anyone like this?

The sex is hilarious too. I wish I could deliver corny lines like that.

"All I could think about was hoping that you were alright."
"Really? Well let's see if the best bed in Kaer Morhen can contain us."

And people are looking forward to a better version?

[quote name='kainzero']I started playing The Witcher because it came with my videocard.

And people are looking forward to a better version?[/QUOTE]
Why wouldn't you look forward to a "better" version?

The Witcher is cash my friend. It's even fun to say!

[quote name='kainzero']I started playing The Witcher because it came with my videocard.

And people are looking forward to a better version?[/QUOTE]

Actually, they're fixing up the dialog and all that... maybe they already had that in the last patch or something, but they rewrote like... most of the English script.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Why wouldn't you look forward to a "better" version?[/quote]
'cause it's like gold-decorated poop.

you can add stuff to the poop
but it's still poop

i don't like the main character, he looks like such a wiener and he holds his sword like a wiener.

actually i don't think the game's that bad, it just keeps crashing and the interface seems clumsy as hell. so maybe this enhanced version will be good...

... but i don't understand why it got so much acclaim to begin with...

now that i think about it, what the heck does this mean?

i don't even know how you can really tell the difference between beds.
and if it can't contain you, that would kinda suck because you'd just fall down.

[quote name='mrelusive']I'm having a lot of fun with The Witcher

/shrug[/QUOTE]

I did to. But when I found out the enhanced version is coming I decided to put it on hold. The content of the new version is supposed to be available for free to people who own version 1.0.

Wow so I'm not alone that prays for new single player RPGs! Good cRPG have become such a rarity, it's a dying genre (though right now it's kept alive by many Europeans developpers - thank God). Everything you see nowadays is MMO here MMo there, oh and some more MMO over here... The only MMO I like is WoW and that's it, admittidely I've been a fan of the warcraft series since the very first game.

Anyway, I'm really hoping for a good story-oriented cRPG ala BG2 or KotOR. I'm dying for Mass Effect and DragonAge, GAAAHH!! You can tell I'm a Bioware fangirl right? But Fallout 3 looks promising also, it's probably not exactly what I'm looking for though since it's being developped by Bethesda. I'm no fan of Oblivion... It looks 'fun' nonetheless. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a huge letdown like Hellgate was. Epic failure there!

I've read rumors of a Star Wars title being developped by Bioware, but don't know it's suppose to be a MMO or a single player RPG (or neither...). If it's KotOR3 though, I will go nuts!!

bread's done
Back