UPDATE 9/8/09: PLAYSTATION VISA Promo - Back to $100 credit instead of $300

gi60

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
As of 9/8 - ONLY $100 CREDIT... NO MORE $200 EXTRA CREDIT..

A NEW PLAYSTATION VISA PROMO - UPDATED 8/28/09

YOU DO HAVE TO MAKE THE 1ST PURCHASE OF $ 299 OR MORE FROM SONYSTLE.COM "ONLY" THIS TIME.

3 x $ 100 Statement Credit within 6 months.

1st - $ 100 instantly
2nd - $ 100 after charging $ 1500 to the card within 3 months of card opening
3rd - $ 100 after charging another $ 1500 to the card within 6 months of card opening
Total = $ 300 off after charging $ 3299 = 9% cash back + Reward Points. The best offer from a credit card at the moment or ever.

THIS IS A REGULAR VISA CREDIT CARD with Playstation brand on it. So if you already use your current CC for everyday purchases; such as Gas, Groceries, Phone, Cable etc. Just use this Playstation card until it hits $3000 + $400 for the PS3 within 6 months, collect the $300 off. Don't forget to pay it in full (at the very least by the end of 12 months since it's interest free for 12 months.) THEN YOU CAN KEEP USING THIS CARD TO COLLECT SONY POINTS OR GO BACK TO YOUR OLD CC.

THIS PROMO WORKS BEST FOR "RESPONSIBLE" PEOPLE WHO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF CREDIT CARD COMPANY (GETTING PAID FOR BORROWING INTEREST FREE MONEY FOR AT LEAST 30 DAYS EVERY MONTH) AND USE THE CC FOR EVERYDAY PURCHASES TO MAXIMIZE THE BENEFIT.

PS3 = $ 299.99 - $ 300 - Reward Point Statement Credit = FREE + $$$.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Events/PlaystationCreditCard/index.html

Get up to $300 back with the PlayStation® Card

SPECIAL OFFER: Apply now for the PlayStation® Card, get instantly approved and get $100 card credit when you purchase a PlayStation®3 system with your new PlayStation® Card.1

BONUS OFFER: Use your PlayStation® Card on your everyday purchases, spend an additional $3,000 or more and qualify for an extra $200 card credits.1
Every time you use the PlayStation® Card - whether it's on digital goods and subscriptions at PlayStation®3 Home, or on everyday purchases like groceries, gasoline or dining - you'll earn valuable Sony Rewards Points redeemable towards the latest Sony products such as: PlayStation® games, Blu-ray Disc™ movies, Sony electronics and much more!2

Terms and Conditions
1. Your first single sales receipt of any products or services purchase(s) made at SonyStyle.com only, equal or greater than $299 ("Qualifying Purchase") within the first 45 days your account is open will automatically qualify you for the first $100 Statement Credit. The first $100 card credit will be applied to your PlayStation® Card account 8-12 weeks after your Special or Qualifying Purchase (Qualifying Purchase does not include balance transfer or balance transfer checks) account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. You will qualify for a second $100 card credit when you charge to your PlayStation® Card account an additional $1,500 within the first 3 months of account open date. You will qualify for a third $100 card credit when you charge to your PlayStation® Card account an additional $1,500 by your 6 month anniversary. Limit of three (3) $100 card credits to each new PlayStation® Card account, after each qualifying spend limit is met within the specified timeframes described above. This offer may not be combined with any other Sony Card or PlayStation® Card offer. In some instances an application may require additional processing, in which case Instant Credit will be unavailable. When you are approved for the PlayStation® Card, you will receive your account and CVV2 number and expiration date on-screen. Please make sure to make note of your account and CVV2 number and expiration date as this information will not be available until you receive your card in the mail. If you are approved, you will be able to make a one-time purchase at SonyRewards.com only, with up to a maximum line of credit of $5,000. Additional purchases with this account cannot be made until your card is received in the mail. This promotional offer is available for new PlayStation® Card account holders only; existing PlayStation® Card account holders or accounts are not eligible. Accounts subject to credit approval. Restrictions and limitations apply. PlayStation® Card credit cards are issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A. See Pricing and rewards for details.
2. You will earn 5 points for each $1 of net purchases made with your Sony Card at Sony Style stores and www.sonystyle.com. You will earn 1 point for each $1 of all other net purchases made with your Sony Card. Purchases of Sony products made at any authorized Sony retailer that earn 1 point for each $1 spent (excluding www.sony.com/playstationcard) are eligible for an additional 2 points from Sony Electronics, Inc. Please visit www.sony.com/playstationcard for more details. Sony Electronics, Inc. is wholly responsible for fulfillment of 2 bonus points. You do not earn points on balance transfers, cash advances, any checks that are used to access your account, overdraft advances, travelers checks, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including fees for products that protect or insure the balances of your account. See Rewards Program Rules and Regulations which will be mailed after your account is established.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do believe someone was joking about. Being foolish with a credit card is indeed bad though.
cagus.smile.jpg

[quote name='AdultLink']YEAH BABY YEAH! Nothing like buying $2000 worth of stuff, AND have the card rates be jacked up to 30% before 2010, all for a $300 system![/QUOTE]

Failblog!!....................com

[quote name='AdultLink']YEAH BABY YEAH! Nothing like buying $2000 worth of stuff, AND have the card rates be jacked up to 30% before 2010, all for a $300 system![/QUOTE]

That's what dumb people do (that's the how the card company and Sony WANT you to do) but smart people spend the money only on stuff they were ALREADY going to have to spend money on (car insurance, bills, vet bills, doctor bills). If you pay your card off every month, and your bills are over $500 a month (which if you are over 25 or so, they probably are easily), then you are getting free money--this is a steal.

Here's my question... the "card credit" that keeps getting mentioned, is that credit on the playstation card or credit towards a purchase @ sonystyle.com?

With the new stipulation of making your first purchase @ sony for $300, i wouldn't mind purchasing now to get credited later. But if it's just for more credit @ sonystyle.com then i'm stuck with credit i don't want to use for more sony products.

Thanks in advance for the help.

So it says allow 8-12 weeks for 1st $100 credit in the small print. But the T/C states that its an instant credit. How long have some of you had to wait for your first $100 credit?

xfade - it's a statement credit. $100 x 3 will be deducted everytime you meet the requirement.

Zack, during previous offer, all of us got the credit right away or within 1 billing cycle.

Not a video game deal. It's a credit card offer. And you know that probably 80% of people that sign up for this are not going to be responsible about their credit balance. Especially considering their target market for this promo (younger adults that want a PS3 for next to nothing) aren't particularly experienced with credit. Call those people dumb and say "It won't happen to me because I'm smart" but I'd really like to know where the average balance lies for this card in a year or two. Bottom line, they wouldn't offer it if they didn't make more off interest than they pay out with the promo. It's pretty shady in my opinion.

All companies, when involved in the financial realm, are out to make money in this same exact fashion.

We may as well warn people not to buy multiples of every game that ever goes on sale, or buy 100 games when there's a coupon at Gamestop. It's redundant and unnecessary.

It's not redundant nor unnecessary to warn people about credit & haphazardly running up their brand new Sony card to get a "free" PS3. Credit card overuse is a big problem in this country. Let's not dismiss it just because in this particular case it's related to video games. I know this is CAG and all, but there are way to many comments in this thread about what a great "deal" this is, when the strings attached could strangle you. A simple word of warning.

If anything, if you sign up for the card and ONLY purchase the new 120GB PS3, you will still get it for $299.99 and have a $100 credit placed on the card. THIS APPLIES IF YOU PAY OFF THE FULL $299.99 DURING THE FIRST BILLING CYCLE.

So you get $100 worth of free stuff, whatever it is. If you continue to use the card, you will likely get another $200 worth of free stuff, if you spend over $500 a month on stuff you normally pay for regardless. All bets are off if you go out and splurge on a bunch of crap you don't need.

That said, I just signed up for the card and was instantly approved for just over $2000. Meh.

I applied for Playstation card and got a screen message saying they are reviewing my application and I'll get a letter in 30 days. My application doesn't seem to be approved right away. What is that? Anyone who had the same message?

Got instant approval for $3600 (weird number), but I couldn't use the temporary account number they gave me. Just wouldn't work with checkout, guess I'll have to wait until I physically get the card.

I would do this if I could use Visa cards to pay my school tuition. For some strange fucking reason they only accept Mastercard, Amex, and Discover

[quote name='polly']It's not redundant nor unnecessary to warn people about credit & haphazardly running up their brand new Sony card to get a "free" PS3. Credit card overuse is a big problem in this country. Let's not dismiss it just because in this particular case it's related to video games. I know this is CAG and all, but there are way to many comments in this thread about what a great "deal" this is, when the strings attached could strangle you. A simple word of warning.[/QUOTE]

You're right, the credit company is betting you are going to violate the agreement and end up paying more in interest. If you are smart and do not go above your means, you will come out ahead.

This is only a good deal if, and only if, you have $500 or more in monthly expenses. OR if you have the 300 in the bank right now, you take the deal, get the $100 back and pay 100% of the bill (and quit). You'll get a credit balance on your card and you can spend on other things that you would have had to pay for anyway.

Do not use this deal if you don't have the money already--you will lose.

[quote name='infini2001']I applied for Playstation card and got a screen message saying they are reviewing my application and I'll get a letter in 30 days. My application doesn't seem to be approved right away. What is that? Anyone who had the same message?[/QUOTE]

This happened to me too. I got the card within 2 weeks. You have 45 days to make the $299 purchase at sonystyle.

[quote name='xfade']did i hear there's 0% interest for the first 12mo.? I didn't see it anywhere on the site[/QUOTE]

Yes, that was the deal back in May. You can look at the terms and conditions of the card where it shows you the interest rates, etc.

IMPORTANT!!!!

If you get the 0% for a year, remember this. If you charge the $299 at 0%, make more charges, then pay _LESS_ than the total due, THEY WILL APPLY YOUR PAYMENT TO THE 0% BALANCE FIRST. This means that anything charged above and beyond the $299 will be gaining interest until you pay the whole 0% balance off.

I know that congress just passed some new credit card rules that stop this scheme, but I do not know when it takes effect, and what the new rules say--so just as a precaution, do not charge more than your initial charge if you do not intend to pay it all off.

[quote name='polly']It's not redundant nor unnecessary to warn people about credit & haphazardly running up their brand new Sony card to get a "free" PS3. Credit card overuse is a big problem in this country. Let's not dismiss it just because in this particular case it's related to video games. I know this is CAG and all, but there are way to many comments in this thread about what a great "deal" this is, when the strings attached could strangle you. A simple word of warning.[/QUOTE]

Nobody has advocated running up credit in a willy-nilly fashion. The people stating that it is a great deal are those who have over $500 a month in commitments; they (and I) will do nothing different but pay our bills/necessities with this credit card, and we will have a free PS3. With no interest. Or debt.

Those who are irresponsible and run wild with the card (or any other card) will learn from their mistakes, and hopefully become financially responsible.

Told all of my good friends who don't yet have a PS3 about this. If Microsoft had a deal along these lines I'd finally get an XBox, too.

[quote name='xboxsox']Got instant approval for $3600 (weird number), but I couldn't use the temporary account number they gave me. Just wouldn't work with checkout, guess I'll have to wait until I physically get the card.[/QUOTE]

I got approved for the same amount too.
I was able to use the cc number that was provided on the screen.
As you're coping and pasting the cc number, did your web browser copied a blank space at the very end? If so, you need to manually delete that.

[quote name='wbc1228']I got approved for the same amount too.
I was able to use the cc number that was provided on the screen.
As you're coping and pasting the cc number, did your web browser copied a blank space at the very end? If so, you need to manually delete that.[/QUOTE]

Ya, it recognizes it as a proper Visa account, but it gives me a giant red screen of 4 possible problems (address wrong, account# wrong, etc etc.). I did enter the wrong expiration date originally and tried to submit, I'm not sure if this locked me out, or maybe I'm just incompetent and copied down the wrong CVV. Either way its not working.

On a side note, I tried adding this card to sony rewards account and it did so successfully. However, when I try to look at cards in account, there's nothing there. Kinda strange overall, but maybe the rewards account doesn't update til the next business day or something.

Apparently my account is on hold after approval, the lady transferred me to fraud security or something like that, and that guy transferred me to fraud operations. But the best part is that guy transferred me...to an answering machine that says their business hours are mon-fri. I heart Chase.

just curious but has anyone actually checked with chase to be sure that they $300 back is being applied to their accounts?

that's really the only thing that's stopping me from jumping on this... not sure how much of a fight you'd have to put up with to get it applied if it wasn't automatic...

in the market for a new card and would definately be a good deal for me...

I did it, was instantly approved and picked up a slim. I already own a 80gb with B/c so this one will do fine as a blu ray player for the bedroom. Thanks for the post TC

[quote name='ggamdori']http://www.hulu.com/watch/1389/saturday-night-live-dont-buy-stuff

Don't buy stuff you cannot afford :D[/QUOTE]

That video doesn't make any sense. Sounds like some type of crazy conservative nutjob rant. The great thing about credits is that we can buy whatever we want NOW. If people followed the video's advise then hardly anyone will attend college, owns a home, business, etc., and the economy would collapse because people aren't buying stuff. And don't forget our government is always there to bail us out when things gets out of hand. We just voted in plenty of politicians who are doing just that. Once they're done bailing out all the major corporations, they should move the focus to us. So SPEND SPEND SPEND everybody! It's the American dream. :)

[quote name='Afflicted']just curious but has anyone actually checked with chase to be sure that they $300 back is being applied to their accounts?

that's really the only thing that's stopping me from jumping on this... not sure how much of a fight you'd have to put up with to get it applied if it wasn't automatic...

in the market for a new card and would definately be a good deal for me...[/QUOTE]

It's automatic. I pay online at Chase and can view my transactions; all 3 $100 credits were applied. The first took about 2 weeks after the initial charge posted. The others were shortly after I hit the card balance milestones (1500 and 3000).

[quote name='jh6269']It's automatic. I pay online at Chase and can view my transactions; all 3 $100 credits were applied. The first took about 2 weeks after the initial charge posted. The others were shortly after I hit the card balance milestones (1500 and 3000).[/QUOTE]

but I was wondering about the people just now signing up... since the offer on the front page of sonyrewards just lists the first 100...

^It depends on your credit... if you get instant approval, it'll give you a temporary number, expiration date, and 3 digit security code that you can use right away at Sonystyle.com

[quote name='Afflicted']thanks :)

but I was wondering about the people just now signing up... since the offer on the front page of sonyrewards just lists the first 100...[/QUOTE]

Make sure, you're signing up through playstation.com (or link on 1st page) not sonyrewards.com since it might have different promo even though it's the same card.

Although, look at the different promos because the Sony card does something similar and you can have a purchase of 299 anywhere and get credit. (at least that is how it was less than a month ago)

[quote name='gi60']^It depends on your credit... if you get instant approval, it'll give you a temporary number, expiration date, and 3 digit security code that you can use right away at Sonystyle.com

Make sure, you're signing up through playstation.com (or link on 1st page) not sonyrewards.com since it might have different promo even though it's the same card.[/QUOTE]

I was instantly approved for 4900.

I got my credit card number and temp security number. It seemed that my temp security number wasn't valid when they issued it. I called the number for the credit card company and they told me I had to wait till I got the physical card.

Does anyone know what their APR rates are like? My existing Chase credit card had its APR jacked up so they could make more money off of me before the new laws come in to effect.

i think the rate was 13.34%

Can anyone tell me if there's somewhere where I can check specifically about this promotion after i applied for the cc? To make sure I did it right, before I go and buy one :x Ty

^As long as you go with 1st post link or go through Playstation.com where it says "up to $300 cashback". You should be OK. you can print the page for your reference in case something is not right, but all user (including me) from previous promo never had any problem with the cashback.

k ty GI60 I'm pretty sure that's how we did it >.>a How long did u guys have to wait til u got ur approval?

Another question might be stupid, but can u purchase like 3k within the first 3 months and be done with it? >.>a or does it have to be split first 3 then 3-6? Any idea? :x

^I got instant approval and the card arrives within 3 business days. For those who waited, I believed it's within 2 weeks.

I really want to apply for a 2nd PS card through my wife since I already have this PS card. Not sure if the promo works though since she already has a Sony Card. :) Anybody has both Sony and PS card and is it still working?

K ty. We haven't gotten approval yet tho :x waiting for it in E-mail i guess. Yea, I assumed u couldn't do it if u already have a sony card, so I had my gf make one.

[quote name='Afflicted']thanks :)

but I was wondering about the people just now signing up... since the offer on the front page of sonyrewards just lists the first 100...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's a few offers going around. Check the links at the beginning of this thread and see. If you've already signed up to the wrong one, call the sony hotline on the site and go to the sony playstation card dept and tell them you want the offer that has the bonus offer. It might work (that's what I would do).

I got the shipping confim today.

8/29: ordered at sonystyle.com (said will ship 8/31)
9/1: shipped (fedex number is not registered fedex.com yet though.)
chase.com is still saying it is pending. (meaning my outstanding balance is still 0.00)

Anyone know if the $299 has to be one item, or your entire purchase? I know it doesn't have to be used on a PS3, but I'm wondering if a purchase of more than one thing that adds up to over $299 on one receipt would qualify as well.

[quote name='Punk0']Anyone know if the $299 has to be one item, or your entire purchase? I know it doesn't have to be used on a PS3, but I'm wondering if a purchase of more than one thing that adds up to over $299 on one receipt would qualify as well.[/QUOTE]

Per T&C, it says 1st single purchase up to $299 from Sonystyle.com. So I assume it should work

I was rejected for this card because I already had a Amazon CC from the same bank that issues this card. I think they saw, I pay the whole balance each month, that tends to piss off CC companies.

bread's done
Back