UPDATE: -PS2- AND PS2 HDD ridiculously cheap at Target

damack

CAGiversary!
I apologize if this has been posted before (or if I am in the wrong forum), but I thought I'd share this experience.

I went to Target yesterday to pick up a raincheck in order to purchase Spider-Man 2. Transformers was out of stock, so the raincheck was for 41%. Rather than grabbing Spider-Man 2, I grabbed the PS2 HDD with Final Fantasy XI and took it to the cashier. She rang up the substitution with no problems and I bought the $100 device for $58 plus tax.

Technically, I don't think they would allow this if they realized that you buy the HDD and the game comes free, but the packaging looks like you're buying a game, so there was no problem with the sub. I suppose that makes it YMMV, but certainly worth a try, if you're looking for the HDD.

UPDATE:
I mentioned this whole experience to a buddy of mine and he figured he'd give it a shot at the PS2 Online Combo pack (PS2, plus Network Adapter plus a game). He just called me to let me know that he took it to the register with the raincheck, the cashier asked her manager, and her manager said, "Oh yes! This can definitely be done because the game and the console are both in the same department." So he walked out of there with a brand new PS2 Online Combo pack for $88.

That is almost the price at Fry's a few weeks ago at $59.99. That is good becuase most people don't have a Fry's near them.

Yeah, I don't have a Fry's nearby at all. I also don't have a lot of use for FFXI, but having just picked up ESPN NFL 2k5, I couldn't pass that deal up. The HDD will get great use between 2k5 and NBA Ballers.

[quote name='damack']I apologize if this has been posted before (or if I am in the wrong forum), but I thought I'd share this experience.

I went to Target yesterday to pick up a raincheck in order to purchase Spider-Man 2. Transformers was out of stock, so the raincheck was for 41%. Rather than grabbing Spider-Man 2, I grabbed the PS2 HDD with Final Fantasy XI and took it to the cashier. She rang up the substitution with no problems and I bought the $100 device for $58 plus tax.

Technically, I don't think they would allow this if they realized that you buy the HDD and the game comes free, but the packaging looks like you're buying a game, so there was no problem with the sub. I suppose that makes it YMMV, but certainly worth a try, if you're looking for the HDD.[/quote]
I've done that with game sharks before at target. PS1s were 19 something and the ps2 ones were like 30 something.

[quote name='damack']Yeah, I don't have a Fry's nearby at all. I also don't have a lot of use for FFXI, but having just picked up ESPN NFL 2k5, I couldn't pass that deal up. The HDD will get great use between 2k5 and NBA Ballers.[/quote]

At that price it's worthwhile just for the memory card offloading capacity.

I saw this at Fry's for 59 a few weeks back and still couldn't convince myself to buy it.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='damack']Yeah, I don't have a Fry's nearby at all. I also don't have a lot of use for FFXI, but having just picked up ESPN NFL 2k5, I couldn't pass that deal up. The HDD will get great use between 2k5 and NBA Ballers.[/quote]

At that price it's worthwhile just for the memory card offloading capacity.[/quote]

Hey, wait... Explain this to me. The PS2 HDD can actually be used to store memcard saves (even if games can't save to the HDD directly)?

-Hoshi

[quote name='hoshi'][quote name='epobirs'][quote name='damack']Yeah, I don't have a Fry's nearby at all. I also don't have a lot of use for FFXI, but having just picked up ESPN NFL 2k5, I couldn't pass that deal up. The HDD will get great use between 2k5 and NBA Ballers.[/quote]

At that price it's worthwhile just for the memory card offloading capacity.[/quote]

Hey, wait... Explain this to me. The PS2 HDD can actually be used to store memcard saves (even if games can't save to the HDD directly)?

-Hoshi[/quote]

Yes. You copy them from your memory card to the hard drive just like you would copy from memory card to memory card.

the price on the ffxi is dropping so fast, soon i bet some store will mark it to clearance to 40 to 45ish. That would be enough to get me to get one. Square really overpriced the hard drive(it is NOT a $50 item, it is more like a $20 item) and so now stores like frys are marking it down.

I bet target will clearance this item after christmas to under $30. Before you say "bullshit that will never happen!" remember target was selling the psone with lcd screen for $27 earlier this year.

Fry's isn't marking it down, they just had that one sale. I remember reading somewhere that says you're paying for the hard drive itself, and the game is basically free.

I gotta agree with you tho, that damn hard drive doesn't cost that much to make.

Actually, I think they are slowly marking it down. It is now regularly at 89.99 at Fry's, when it used to be 99.99. Then there was that one sale probably used to test the waters and see if that damn product would move or not at a lower price. I wouldn't be suprised if that thing dropped some more.

Best Buy had it at 89.99 right after release.

do you really need 40 gigs......... can you possibly use that much

the 8-10 gig xbox hdd are more than enough, unless you want to upload more than 70hrs of music and still have a ton of game saves

but it is a ripoff. it is sold as 40 gig hard drive w/ free FFXI. not worth it. maybe an 120 gig but not 40. still a bunch of extra useless space.

20gig hard drive, FXI. 50-70, that being the game costing that much with a hard drive. then would have price drops, possibly.

it should have been more like a namco guncon game or a DDR game with pad

[quote name='gokou36']How do you get rainchecks from them? Is it hard or easy?[/quote]

It's simple. Check out their weekly ad online, find the games with the biggest discount, then give them a call and ask if they have them in stock. If they don't, they'll be happy to give you a raincheck.

Why do you really need a 120gb drive vs a 40 gb?

I have yet to buy anything more than a 20 and I never fill it up...a 40 sounds like a ton of storage to me.

[quote name='defender']Why do you really need a 120gb drive vs a 40 gb?

I have yet to buy anything more than a 20 and I never fill it up...a 40 sounds like a ton of storage to me.[/quote]

Then you just aint doin it right. :lol:

I never liked the fact that you have to pay for both FF XI and the HDD. I'll probably never play FF XI so basically I'm paying $100 for a HDD that has about a third of the capacity of a drive I could get for the same price. Not to mention, it's a smaller cache size and slower on the RPMs. If Sony marketed the HDD alone for $40 or $50 dollars I'd bet they'd get a lot more takers.

[quote name='defender']Why do you really need a 120gb drive vs a 40 gb?

I have yet to buy anything more than a 20 and I never fill it up...a 40 sounds like a ton of storage to me.[/quote]

Once you start dealing with video files there is never enough storage. Even using the most advanced codecs you very quickly get into multiple gigabytes for just a few hours of material at NTSC resolution. Get into HD resolutions and you're very quickly back to well over a gig for an hour's material.

Since the highest capacity usage by games is for FMV stuff those can fill a drive via HDLoader quite quickly.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I never liked the fact that you have to pay for both FF XI and the HDD. I'll probably never play FF XI so basically I'm paying $100 for a HDD that has about a third of the capacity of a drive I could get for the same price. Not to mention, it's a smaller cache size and slower on the RPMs. If Sony marketed the HDD alone for $40 or $50 dollars I'd bet they'd get a lot more takers.[/quote]

For purposes of effective marketing it's always best to bundle a hardware upgrade with software that makes good use of it. Imagine if they'd offered the EyeToy with no bundled games and left it entirely up to the often clueless shopper buying for someone else to understand the item was somewhat useless without an appropriate game. The HDD has value as a way of offloading memory card saves but this isn't a primary driver for its existence. There will likely be other HDD bundle choices as more major titles appear, especially Sony published items like GT4.

The cache and RPM rate of the drive is not a major handicap for this application. The PS2 only jas 32 MB of RAM to work with. Filling this from a low-end drive is so quick as to make anyimprovement from a more feature-rich drive defy measurement. Additionally, this isn't a multitasking environment and that leaves little value for a large dirve cache.

[quote name='Defensor']Worth it alone to use with the HDLoader.[/quote]

If your sole application is HDLoader you'll get much more value from a third party drive. A 160 GB Maxtor that I can attest works great with HDLoader (althoughonly 127 GB is available) can be had for only $70 at FRy's right now. If HDLoader knew how to offload memory card files it would be complete.

Wait, I don't understand. Don't you have to pay for the raincheck? Or wouldn't you have to pay the difference anyways when you check out? In other words, how are you escaping paying full price?

Wait so what is the actual raincheck? I understand you find a game that is advertised on sale and if it's out of stock then you can get a rain check and get a discount, but what is it exactly like do they give you a special form or anything? I'd like to try this out but I don't quite understand this.

The rain check allows you to substitute another game "like item for like item" is what it exactly says. So if you have a rain check say for the GTA :Vice City for 15.88 (reg 29.99) you would get the that same discount for the HDD bundle instead, thus getting the HDD bundle ultra cheap.

[quote name='totsmann']Goin off topic. But, sorry bout the big sig. Fixed it now.[/quote]

that sig is still huge/colorful/annoying/giveing me a headache

[quote name='KingNES']The rain check allows you to substitute another game "like item for like item" is what it exactly says. So if you have a rain check say for the GTA :Vice City for 15.88 (reg 29.99) you would get the that same discount for the HDD bundle instead, thus getting the HDD bundle ultra cheap.[/quote]

Or, apparently, entire systems. I may go back and try it with the GameCube this week, since Spider-Man 2 is only $9.99 if you get the system.

[quote name='damack']

UPDATE:
I mentioned this whole experience to a buddy of mine and he figured he'd give it a shot at the PS2 Online Combo pack (PS2, plus Network Adapter plus a game). He just called me to let me know that he took it to the register with the raincheck, the cashier asked her manager, and her manager said, "Oh yes! This can definitely be done because the game and the console are both in the same department." So he walked out of there with a brand new PS2 Online Combo pack for $88.[/quote]

Holy crap, ps2 online pack for $88? Just so I am clear, your buddy got a ps2 system, broadband adapter plus atv offroad furyor corvette 2 all for only $88? Which rain check did he use? he used the rain check for the ffxi plus hard drive? that is an insane price for a ps2 system online bundle

You can use ANY raincheck for ANY videogame. For example, you get a raincheck for Transformers @ $29.88 when it retails for $50. You can use the 40% off on transformers or ANYTHING in the videogame dept.

Say i used a regular hdd..would games liek Re outbreak n fl2k5 have like the same results with a sony hdd.(ie full vdieos in halftime,etc)

[quote name='dracula']
Holy crap, ps2 online pack for $88? Just so I am clear, your buddy got a ps2 system, broadband adapter plus atv offroad furyor corvette 2 all for only $88? Which rain check did he use? he used the rain check for the ffxi plus hard drive? that is an insane price for a ps2 system online bundle[/quote]

Yes, he got all of that by using a raincheck that he got for Transformers for 41% off. We just did it this evening, he bought a PS2 for his friend and I got a GameCube for about $56 (then added on the Spider-Man 2 for $9.99 special that they're running). We were denied at the Electronics cashier, but had no problem with the normal store cashiers. Psi-Ops (regularly $49.99, now $28.88) was out of stock so we used the 43% rainchecks from that.

[quote name='damack'][quote name='dracula']
Holy crap, ps2 online pack for $88? Just so I am clear, your buddy got a ps2 system, broadband adapter plus atv offroad furyor corvette 2 all for only $88? Which rain check did he use? he used the rain check for the ffxi plus hard drive? that is an insane price for a ps2 system online bundle[/quote]

Yes, he got all of that by using a raincheck that he got for Transformers for 41% off. We just did it this evening, he bought a PS2 for his friend and I got a GameCube for about $56 (then added on the Spider-Man 2 for $9.99 special that they're running). We were denied at the Electronics cashier, but had no problem with the normal store cashiers. Psi-Ops (regularly $49.99, now $28.88) was out of stock so we used the 43% rainchecks from that.[/quote]

this is an unbelievably extreme YMMV....there is no way in hell any target that has employees that can READ will ever do this deal...take a 60 dollar hit on a console? don't think so

jc, if you were denied at the electronics counter what did you say in order to check out up front? did you tell the electronics people that you were going to try your luck up front?..lol..

My target won't let you check out up front with any products from inside the glass case. If you have an exchange or something they have to walk it up there.

[quote name='damack'][quote name='dracula']

Yes, he got all of that by using a raincheck that he got for Transformers for 41% off. We just did it this evening, he bought a PS2 for his friend and I got a GameCube for about $56 (then added on the Spider-Man 2 for $9.99 special that they're running). We were denied at the Electronics cashier, but had no problem with the normal store cashiers. Psi-Ops (regularly $49.99, now $28.88) was out of stock so we used the 43% rainchecks from that.[/quote]

this is shady, seriously, actions like these are considered scams

yeah. those target employees were careless. the clause says item for item... and a game for a system is not item for item. i'm not sure that this thread really reflects an actual "deal", but rather a way to exploit ignorant or careless employees.

i went back and re-read some of my initial training paperwork, and really, the substitute clause is supposed to be used on items that are of similar price (49.99 game subbed for a 49.99 game), but because some items don't necessarily have equally priced "substitutes" (like for example the most expensive high-end flat screen tv), they don't specifically say same priced item for same priced item.

i heard from one of the managers that they were going to start doing in electronics what they've been doing in the dept. where they have toilet paper. a lot of times, toilet paper on sale sells out, and they pick another brand of toilet paper and designate that as the substitute and they offer no raincheck on the original one. i hope this doesn't happen, but i think with a lot of people making use of the rainchecks on games, it might become reality.

[quote name='kristianator']
i heard from one of the managers that they were going to start doing in electronics what they've been doing in the dept. where they have toilet paper. a lot of times, toilet paper on sale sells out, and they pick another brand of toilet paper and designate that as the substitute and they offer no raincheck on the original one. i hope this doesn't happen, but i think with a lot of people making use of the rainchecks on games, it might become reality.[/quote]

actually, they started that over here. there was a sale for 2 mem cards for $35 or something and it was sold out and instead of a raincheck, they substituted it with a single mem card for $20

i'm guessing rainchecks will soon disappear

Just want to thank the original poster - I got a raincheck for Transformers and ended up getting a 40%+ discount on Siren. It was sort of a pain (they wouldn't do substitution on the same day the raincheck was issued and demanded I wait a few days to see if they can restock the game, and I was unable to use it in other Target stores) but in the end I got what I wanted. :D

[quote name='gsr']
jc, if you were denied at the electronics counter what did you say in order to check out up front? did you tell the electronics people that you were going to try your luck up front?..lol..[/quote]

No, I walked away without the stuff, picked up a different Cube and walked to the front. Later went back to get Spider-Man 2.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']Just want to thank the original poster - I got a raincheck for Transformers and ended up getting a 40%+ discount on Siren. It was sort of a pain (they wouldn't do substitution on the same day the raincheck was issued and demanded I wait a few days to see if they can restock the game, and I was unable to use it in other Target stores) but in the end I got what I wanted. :D[/quote]

you know thats funny because they wouldnt letm e use a raincheck that was ONE DAY old, they said the substitution must be made at the time of the raincheck...ok, whatever. so i just had the dumb broad print me a raincheck again and then asked for a substitution, then she said she needed to get a manager. i was just trying to use this for a game, not a system. Damn target employees just make up policies on a whim. Every time it's a different story, kind of like pricematching at CC or using a GGC at best buy. i cant believe the amount of shit i get from these minimum wage employees almost everytime i try to use a coupon/pricematch of some sort. maybe it's just california.

bread's done
Back