Updated -- Free Assassins Creed III Steelbook With Pre-Order (GS, BB, Amazon)

Saix_XIII

CAGiversary!
Feedback
158 (100%)
This is available at Best Buy, Gamestop and Amazon. At Best Buy and Gamestop when you pre-order a copy of Assassin's Creed 3 for PS3 or 360 for $5 and you get a free G1 (DVD size) steelbook, there is no blu-ray/PS3 sized case out as of now.

At amazon if you pre-order the PS3 or 360 Assassin's Creed 3 you get the same steelbook (based on all info currently available), but it is shipped when Assassin's Creed 3 is released, which is late October.

As of now most, if not all, Gamestops should have this on the floor in some way to promote the game. Best Buy should as well, but some people are reporting that the street day for Best Buy is 3/10 and are being denied them until that day.

As per usual, at some Best Buy's and Gamestops the employees are unaware of the exact details and are denying customers these for incorrect reasons.

Here is an image of it based on what the link above is showing
gallery_30_10_219709.png

I really like the way it looks I just wish there wasn't the RP thing there.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='barrit']Those of you who ordered multiple, you pre-ordered the game multiple times? I saw someone say they got 3 copies.[/QUOTE]

Yes I preordered one for Xbox and one for PS3 and I got 2. Paid 10.00

Picked up a book in San Bruno, CA at Best Buy. Debating on whether or not I'll actually pick it up day 1. An earlier poster made a good point that it may go on sale within 45 days (premier silver) and could get the price adjusted.

[quote name='thegame85']Picked up a book in San Bruno, CA at Best Buy. Debating on whether or not I'll actually pick it up day 1. An earlier poster made a good point that it may go on sale within 45 days (premier silver) and could get the price adjusted.[/QUOTE]

I'm also on the fence. Not because it's a bad game but because the price for AC series games is so volatile. Walmart had ACR for 40 on opening day. Recently you could have gotten ACR for like 20 bucks too at BB.

[quote name='youenvy']yeah that's what i was thinking "so they give you these steelbook cases so you can hold them for months", makes no effin sense. My friend isn't a big video game head though and he was nice enough to try, but i would have totally questioned the guy. i mean the guy actually brought one out and showed it to him. My friend even told me it looked real sweet.

well im going to a gamestop like 20 min away from my house tomorrow so hopefully ill have good luck there.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but how much sense does it make that stores are giving us steel book cases for a game that won't be released for seven months? This whole promo is kind of silly. Why not just make the steel book a free upgrade for preorders and send them out already packaged in the steel book? As it stands, many of these are being purchased to flip or by people who aren't going to buy the game day one anyway.

[quote name='astr0boy']I'm also on the fence. Not because it's a bad game but because the price for AC series games is so volatile. Walmart had ACR for 40 on opening day. Recently you could have gotten ACR for like 20 bucks too at BB.[/QUOTE]

Not just that, but 3 weeks or so after release day is Black Friday. They have always had AC games on sale either during Black Friday week or the week after. I've never paid more than $40 for any AC game (though I did buy new, in case any Ubisoft people are reading -- lol).

[quote name='bojay1997']Sure, but how much sense does it make that stores are giving us steel book cases for a game that won't be released for seven months? This whole promo is kind of silly.[/QUOTE]

It's all marketing. Create buzz and word of mouth for the game. Plus they get to send out a press release stating it's the most pre-ordered game in AC and/or Ubisoft history, surpassing previous games by a factor of X....etc., etc.

I went by the Clackamas, OR BB, the gaming person looked in back and said box has the date of 3/10/2012. However, it told me to check back tomorrow to see if anything was updated in their system.

I'll go check after class in the afternoon. It's always a nice 20 minute walk home if it's not raining.

[quote name='Cephiros']I went by the Clackamas, OR BB, the gaming person looked in back and said box has the date of 3/10/2012. However, it told me to check back tomorrow to see if anything was updated in their system.

I'll go check after class in the afternoon. It's always a nice 20 minute walk home if it's not raining.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy's employee docs state today is the release day as per Ubisoft.

[quote name='Romeo']This is why the case will disappear quick, hoarding and greed.

I plan to get multiple... one from each retailer since they have unique SKUs.[/QUOTE]

How is me getting 3 of them hoarding? One if for myself, one for my brother, and the other i will keep sealed for collectors purposes. I would understand if i would have gotten 10 of them and started selling them on ebay like i see people doing but for 3, 1 of which isn't even for me.

I picked one up, but I'm disappointed that it's G1 sized…. (obviously, I own a PS3 and all my other steelbooks are appropriately G2 sized)

[quote name='Romeo']I do prefer bluray cases though not this time. Assassin's Creed is an Xbox 360 series, the PS3 editions have always been gimped ports.[/QUOTE]
I always thought the opposite was true. The original assassins creed was first unveil on the PS3. It was one of the games that got me interested to buy a PS3 when it was first shown.

• Assassins Creed 2 came with 6 exclusive weapons for the PS3 with the PSP AC Bloodlines game when synced.
  • Assassins Creed Brotherhood had an exclusive multiplayer beta for the PS3. The game also included free exclusive Copernicus Conspiracy DLC only for PS3.
  • Assassins Creed Revelations also had an exclusive multiplayer beta for the PS3. Assassins Creed 1 was offered for Free along with PS3 version of Revelations.
I am assuming Assassins Creed 3 would be no different, with something being unveil by E3 that only the PS3 version will get.

PS3 has been getting ton of exclusive DLC actually from publishers like EA (SSX, BF3), THQ (Saints Row 3), Capcom, 2K (BioShock Infinite), and Take Two (LA Noire). Best thing is all exclusive DLC for PS3 are given away Free.

[quote name='Romeo']Best Buy's employee docs state today is the release day as per Ubisoft.[/QUOTE]

I don't refute that, given the high report of people getting it from BB and Gamestop. However, BB stores like to be inconsistent as well. Like the people who went to BB in Nevada and an employee said they aren't giving away the steel book until game release which is 7 months away.

[quote name='Cephiros']I don't refute that, given the high report of people getting it from BB and Gamestop. However, BB stores like to be inconsistent as well. Like the people who went to BB in Nevada and an employee said they aren't giving away the steel book until game release which is 7 months away.[/QUOTE]
The cardboard display clearly says "Take it home TODAY, with Pre-order". :roll:

[quote name='htz']The cardboard display clearly says "Take it home TODAY, with Pre-order". :roll:[/QUOTE]

I can't vouch for the intelligence of NV BB employees. At least the employee at my local store acknowledges that. I guess they didn't read their employee docs and didn't open the box and put the up the display at my local store.

[quote name='htz']The cardboard display clearly says "Take it home TODAY, with Pre-order". :roll:[/QUOTE]

Buddy, if you could, come down here and explain that to them.

[quote name='htz']I always thought the opposite was true. The original assassins creed was first unveil on the PS3. It was one of the games that got me interested to buy a PS3 when it was first shown.

• Assassins Creed 2 came with 6 exclusive weapons for the PS3 with the PSP AC Bloodlines game when synced.
  • Assassins Creed Brotherhood had an exclusive multiplayer beta for the PS3. The game also included free exclusive Copernicus Conspiracy DLC only for PS3.
  • Assassins Creed Revelations also had an exclusive multiplayer beta for the PS3. Assassins Creed 1 was offered for Free along with PS3 version of Revelations.
I am assuming Assassins Creed 3 would be no different, with something being unveil by E3 that only the PS3 version will get.

PS3 has been getting ton of exclusive DLC actually from publishers like EA (SSX, BF3), THQ (Saints Row 3), Capcom, 2K (BioShock Infinite), and Take Two (LA Noire). Best thing is all exclusive DLC for PS3 are given away Free.[/QUOTE]

Totally with you and I understand the exclusive content. Ubisoft admitted that the reason behind PS3 exclusive content was because the ports were substandard compared to the 360 and it was there way of saying "I'm sorry".

Believe me I've always fought myself on what system to play the series on. I went with 360 at first then continued on. When ACB had the exclusive missions I was this close > < to buying both console versions just for the Copernicus missions.

In the end the 360 editions have always been the standard (same as the Call of Duty) series. I do miss the linked content with PSP and PS3 (I own the white AC PSP) but I can't break up my collection now.

GAMESTOP also has these so I got one there when I went to pick up my Mass Effect 3. The stupid idiot at Best Buy had no clue what I was talking about when I tried to get one there.

[quote name='Romeo']Totally with you and I understand the exclusive content. Ubisoft admitted that the reason behind PS3 exclusive content was because the ports were substandard compared to the 360 and it was there way of saying "I'm sorry".

Believe me I've always fought myself on what system to play the series on. I went with 360 at first then continued on. When ACB had the exclusive missions I was this close > < to buying both console versions just for the Copernicus missions.

In the end the 360 editions have always been the standard (same as the Call of Duty) series. I do miss the linked content with PSP and PS3 (I own the white AC PSP) but I can't break up my collection now.[/QUOTE]
I never noticed anything wrong with the Assassins Creed games that I played on the PS3 besides the random bad frame rate drops. As long as its playable I'm good, the bonus content just adds a tiny bit more value to my purchase which I appreciate ubisoft doing for acknowledging not meeting the same quality standard as the 360.:)

I saw these in a passing glance at Gamestop, so I guess now I know what they were. So I guess Gamestops are getting these too.

This may be helpful to some.. so I'll go ahead and report that they offered me one of these steelbooks tonight when I picked up ME3 at a gamestop in the houston area

Couldn't say no to a steelbook for $5. I wish every game had one. The size is a little much tho. Maybe When AC3 comes out I'll buy a figure or something so I can put it on display.

Consider how popular this has proven, I hope that more companies pick up the idea. WOuld be nice for the US getting steel books to be a common thing.

[quote name='Jawmuncher']Consider how popular this has proven, I hope that more companies pick up the idea. WOuld be nice for the US getting steel books to be a common thing.[/QUOTE]

Damn straight. I'll gladly support games state side that have steelbook preorder bonuses.

Actually popped the first Assassin's Creed into my 360 yesterday, despite placing it on about 16th on my backlog list, because of this deal. I'm always jealous of the ones over seas and Futureshop straight above us. So it's nice to see this here.

I'd much rather have bonuses like these than some stupid avatar item. That said, these cost more money to produce and thus don't come around that often.

[quote name='esalw822']I'm in Cali and I didn't get taxed on the pre-order of AC3 at GS, and I've never been taxed on any pre-order at BB (including an ME3 pre-order I made today). And Cali tries to tax freakin' everything...[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I'm in CA (went to the Westwood store, thanks to whoever posted they had them-- somehow I had selective blindness and couldn't find the huge display you mentioned until I finally saw it RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE GAMING REGISTER. I blame being in a hurry to meet a friend for dinner for selective blindness) and I was charged tax.

I wonder if it's due to the steelbook? I can't remember if I've been charged tax when getting the steelbooks for movie preorders in the past.

[quote name='thegame85']I'm in CA and I got charged tax too.[/QUOTE]

Just picked up mine at the mall in Baldwin Hills, CA with no tax, straight $5. Don't think I've ever been taxed for preordering?

[quote name='thegame85']I'm in CA and I got charged tax too.[/QUOTE]

Man, that just doesn't make sense. Because of all the CA peeps posting that they got charged tax, I even double checked my receipts. I bought Killzone 2 at one location (on sale for $7.49, $6.74 after PUR) and pre-ordered AC3 for the Steelbook. My receipt specifially lists my Subtotal as $11.74 and my Taxable Total as $6.74 and then my Tax as $0.59 cents (8.75% x $6.74). Same with a 2nd location where I picked up 2x Killzone 3 ($12.49 each, $11.24 after PUR) and pre-ordered AC3 again to get a 2nd Steelbook. Taxable Total is $5 less than the subtotal because of the pre-order and I'm only charged tax on the games. And these two GameStops are in different cities too.

Weird. Maybe it's because I bought games each time? Don't really know...

I always got charged tax on pre-orders, I assume it was because I am essentially buying the game itself but only paying a portion($5) of it right now... o_O

[quote name='Velo214']someone should pick one of these up and send it to cheapyd[/QUOTE]

Huh, why? Is something wrong that he can't get it on his own?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That they are and selling for between $20 and $40 too.:shock:[/QUOTE]

Yep, the price would probably decline in a couple days as eBay is beginning to saturate with them and some seller will try to undercut others just to sell theirs.

[quote name='Romeo']Huh, why? Is something wrong that he can't get it on his own?[/QUOTE]

He is in Japan as far as I know.

I just picked up one at Best Buy. Nice case, but I really wish it was G2 size. Also do all the cases have the RP logo on it? The image on Amazon has no logo so I was curious.

[quote name='Gixxer']I just picked up one at Best Buy. Nice case, but I really wish it was G2 size. Also do all the cases have the RP logo on it? The image on Amazon has no logo so I was curious.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering this myself. My prediction is that steelbooks sent out with the game on release will probably have an M, if any rating is put on it at all. By then it will be rated by the ESRB.

I have a question. What would happen if you preordered the game to get the steelbook and then canceled later? Would you have to return the steelbook or what?

[quote name='Tsel']I have a question. What would happen if you preordered the game to get the steelbook and then canceled later? Would you have to return the steelbook or what?[/QUOTE]

Online dont ship the steelbook until the game releases, if you pick it up at best buy or gamestop i doubt you will have to return it. I was planning on putting 5 down, get the steelbook, and never pay for the rest because there probably will be a better deal somewhere else.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Online dont ship the steelbook until the game releases, if you pick it up at best buy or gamestop i doubt you will have to return it. I was planning on putting 5 down, get the steelbook, and never pay for the rest because there probably will be a better deal somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

I'm banking on some sort of additional bonus for pre-ordering like multiplayer maps, character skins/costumes, free upgrade to a signature/limited edition, or some other piece of download content/bonus to keep me from canceling my pre-order from Gamestop.

I went back to Best Buy and picked up my copy of the Steelbook from my preorder yesterday. I had to "exchange" the preorder.

There is an insert in the game case that says that your receipt for buying the steelbook is basically a $5 off coupon for when you go pick up the game, which will be held for you for four days.

I am sure I will get a better deal on the game, or the LE, so I basically just bought a $5 steelbook. I cancelled my online order with Best Buy.

YES! I finally got one! Best Buy had them on a display case today out front even though t says not to display them til 3/10 and yesterday when I went they had no idea what I was talking about. Gamestop also had them. When the guy saw I got it from the floor he tried to alert his manager cuz I guess they shouldn't be out. But he was busy so he said "screw it not my problem" and rang it up. One for me, one for my friend, awesome! I'll cancel the preorders cuz I'll wait til the price drops. $5 for a sexy looking steelbook is a sweet deal

Just picked mine up today... I do not know if I am going to pick up the pre-order, might wait for a price drop. But the Steelbook is worth the 5$ regardless.

[quote name='jedifrog21']YES! I finally got one! Best Buy had them on a display case today out front even though t says not to display them til 3/10 and yesterday when I went they had no idea what I was talking about. Gamestop also had them. When the guy saw I got it from the floor he tried to alert his manager cuz I guess they shouldn't be out. But he was busy so he said "screw it not my problem" and rang it up. One for me, one for my friend, awesome! I'll cancel the preorders cuz I'll wait til the price drops. $5 for a sexy looking steelbook is a sweet deal[/QUOTE]

3/5/12 is the official date for the pre-order case as per Ubisoft. Even GameStop shipping boxes state to put it out on 3/5. Any day later and they are technically breaking a street date, I'd say I hope Ubi fines the hell out of them.

bread's done
Back